Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu June 21st, 2018, 16:26 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Sun July 7th, 2013, 10:25 GMT 
Promethium Member

A m e r i c a n a r a m A

Bob Dylan and His Band

-Tony Garnier - bass
-George Recile - drums
-Stu Kimball - acoustic rhythm guitar
-Charlie Sexton - lead guitar
-Donnie Herron - banjo, electric mandolin, pedal steel, lap steel

also featuring:
Richard Thompson Electric Trio, Wilco & My Morning Jacket

Duluth, Minnesota
Bayfront Festival Park
9 July 2013, Tuesday

Capacity: ? - looks like plenty of room though
Showtime: 5:30 pm
Ticket Price: $68 - General admission

This is the 32nd Show of the 2013 Never Ending Tour

Previously:
Duke debut - Spring tour leg = 23
A m e r i c a n a r a m A = 8
____
2013 shows prior to this = 31

Dyluth. Thanks Grumpy the Buick.
Apparently lawn chairs will be allowed at this show.
According to boblinks.com, "people with lawn chairs will be directed toward the back as people will be standing in front of the stage."

And what about that Bob Dylan winged statue?

---
From: http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/ ... id/271808/

With 'concert-appropriate' lawn chairs, Dylan fans are forever young

Duluth, Minnesota, USA - If there’s a run on lawn chairs in Duluth the next two days, blame Bob Dylan. Or Grandpa.

That’s because when Duluth’s native son plays Bayfront on Tuesday night, his American-arama show with Wilco, My Morning Jacket and the Richard Thompson Trio will be more of a Dylan concert — and a senior citizens affair.

“When this show played Atlanta (last week), the average age was 25-30,” said Dan Russell, executive director of the Duluth Entertainment Convention Center, explaining why the initial no-lawn-chairs policy was lifted.

“I had to respond to people in their 60s saying ‘we’re not going to go.’ We had to convince (the promoters) that here it’s older,” Russell said.

I don’t know who his demographers are, but they must have talked to Joanne Gerber of Duluth and her 30-something son David of Minneapolis, who attended Saturday’s Bridge Festival and plan to make Tuesday’s show.

“Bob Dylan is going to pretty much draw my age and up. We need our chairs,” Joanne Gerber said, adding that the lifting of the chair ban “is what convinced me to come.” David said he’d make it lawn chairs or not: “I’m excited about Wilco and Bob Dylan.”

Their portable seating yesterday was pretty plush but likely to pass the grade Tuesday, which Russell said it has to be “concert- appropriate.” “That means no foul language on it,” he said of one criteria, along with no umbrellas or drink canisters. “Obviously, we don’t want you walk into Menards and get a lawn chair bigger than your garage, or that has coolers in the back.”

Which pretty much describes the canvas village erected at the Bridge Festival by Duluth’s Sheldon family — Karen, Gary, 8-month-old Keegan and 3-year-old Gaius — except they got it at Home Depot. “Eight bucks,” Karen said of the bargain cost of per chair, though the tent-like apparatus big enough for the whole family was extra. “I don’t know what ‘concert quality’ means,” she said. “I think this fits. This is a concert, isn’t it?”
We’ll let the Americanarama bouncers figure that out.

Since I needed to price them out for myself, the next cheapest I found was at Burggraf’s Ace Hardware at the Plaza Shopping Center. “Normally, they’re 30 bucks. We’re selling them for 20,” store manager Tom Donlin said of a canopy chair — which, to make concert-appropriate, “you can take the canopy down.” Except you have to get one. They sold out. “We’ll have them on Tuesday, probably by noon. When is the concert?”

Down Superior Street in Lakeside, lawn chairs at Marshall Hardware were going from $25 to $32.99 — or $70 for the “more spendy zero-gravity” chair, explained A.J. Marshall. Zero-gravity? “It’s easier to lay back once you’re in it. It’s very adjustable for comfort,” he said.

And that can only lead to a real gravity-defying stunt by the most famous lawn chair of late: one taken aloft to 15,000 feet by Joe Barbera of Battle Ground, Wash. Two weeks ago, he replicated the flight of “Lawnchair Larry” Walters, who floated three miles above Southern California in 1982 lifted by dozens of helium balloons.

Barbera readily took my call. “I was a brand new engineer (when Walters made his flight), and I just kept thinking about it and thinking about it, and finally after 30 years I did it. It was just wonderful,” he said, adding: “My wife’s not so crazy about the idea.”

Barbera’s a Dylan fan, by the way. “You bet. Absolutely. I’ve seen him a couple of times. I saw him with Paul Simon and once with the Grateful Dead.” And though he won’t make our show Tuesday, he might consider loaning his chair.

“Yeah. You could just pass security and drop in.”

PostPosted: Sun July 7th, 2013, 10:55 GMT 
Promethium Member

Leg 2 formula so far...

Last concert: Cincinnati, Ohio - 6 July 2013

Highlights and nuances of last show:
Set list seems here to stay for awhile.

Number of songs on this tour leg: 18

Number of performances on this tour leg so far: 8

Formula for this A m e r i c a n a r a m A tour leg:

Stu's Acoustic Noodle
1. Things Have Changed
2. Love Sick
3. High Water
4. Soon After Midnight
5. Early Roman Kings
6. Tangled Up In Blue
7. Duquesne Whistle
8. She Belongs To Me

9. Cry, Beyond Here Lies Nothin

10. Twist, Hard Rain

11. Honest, Willie

12. Watchtower, Twist

13. Thunder (encore), Summer

(encore)
14. Ballad Of A Thin Man, Watchtower

15. Ballad Of A Thin Man; Blowin

PostPosted: Sun July 7th, 2013, 12:52 GMT 
Mercury Member

This is the concert that I think is gonna be good 8)

No real reason, other than home turf for the main man.....

Yep, this is gonna be the party :wink:

PostPosted: Sun July 7th, 2013, 13:37 GMT 

I agree, seems like it should be a good show :)

Wish i could be there....

PostPosted: Sun July 7th, 2013, 13:58 GMT 
Titanium Member

"You know, I was born up on the hill over there. I was glad to see that it's still there. "

Bayfront Festival Park

Such a warm and inviting place, for the cold north.

http://bayfrontfestivalpark.com

barefoot, have you seen the bridge?

Aerial Lift Bridge
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Aerial Lift Bridge
U.S. National Register of Historic Places

Aerial Lift Bridge in 2007
Coordinates: 46°46′44.5″N 92°5′33.9″W
Built: 1905,
reconstructed in 1929

Architect: Thomas F. McGilvray,; C.A.P. Turner
Governing body: Local
NRHP Reference#: 73002174 [1]
Added to NRHP: May 22, 1973

The Aerial Lift Bridge (earlier known as the Aerial Bridge or Aerial Ferry Bridge) is a major landmark in the port city of Duluth, Minnesota. The span is a vertical lift bridge, which is rather uncommon, but it began life as an extremely rare transporter bridge—the first of just two such bridges ever constructed in the United States. Originally built in 1905, the bridge was upgraded in 1929–30 to the current lifting design and continues to operate today. The bridge was added to the National Register of Historic Places on May 22, 1973. A maritime museum maintained by the United States Army Corps of Engineers exists near the site of the bridge.

Aerial gondola, circa 1908
The bridge spans the Duluth Ship Canal, which was put through the thin but long sand spit named Minnesota Point (commonly referred to as Park Point by locals) in 1870–71. The natural mouth of the St. Louis River is about seven miles (11 km) farther southeast, and is split between Minnesota and Wisconsin. Creating this gap in the tiny peninsula meant that residents who lived on the new island needed to have a way to get across. Several different transportation methods were tried, though they were complicated by the weather. Ferries could work in the summer, but ice caused problems in colder months. A swinging footbridge was used, but was considered rather rickety and unsafe.

In 1892, a contest was held to find a solution. The winning design came from John Low Waddell, who drew up plans for a high-rise vertical lift bridge. The city of Duluth was eager to build the bridge, which would have been about 130 feet (40 m) wide. However, the War Department objected to the design, and the project was canceled before it could be built. Waddell's design went on to be built in Chicago, Illinois as the slightly larger South Halsted Street Bridge (removed in 1932).

New plans were later drawn up for a structure that would ferry people from one side to the other. This type of span, which is known variously as an aerial transfer, ferry, or transporter bridge, had first been demonstrated in Bilbao's Vizcaya Bridge in 1893 and one in France in 1898. Duluth's bridge was inspired by the one in France, though the actual construction is quite different. The architect was a city engineer, Thomas McGilvray.

The Aerial Lift Bridge dominates the Canal Park skyline. (2005)
When it was completed in 1905, the Aerial Bridge's gondola had a capacity of 60 short tons (54 tonne) and could carry 350 people plus wagons, streetcars, or automobiles. A trip across the canal took about one minute, and the ferry car moved across once every five minutes during busy times of the day.[6] However, a growing population on Minnesota Point, a greater demand for cars, and an increase in tourism soon meant that the bridge's capacity was being stretched to the limit.
A remodeling was planned that would remove the gondola and incorporate a lifting platform into the structure. Ironically, the firm finally commissioned with designing the new bridge was the descendant of Waddell's company. The new design, which closely resembles the 1892 concept, is attributed to C.A.P. Turner. Reconstruction began in 1929. In order to ensure that tall ships could still pass under the bridge, the top span had to be raised to accommodate the new deck when raised. The support columns on either side were also modified so that they could hold new counterweights to balance the weight of the lifting portion. The new bridge first lifted for a vessel on March 29, 1930.

The bridge can be raised to its full height in about 3 minutes, and goes up 25 to 30 times daily during busy parts of the shipping season. The span is about 390 feet, or 120 meters. As ships pass, there is a customary horn-blowing sequence which is copied back. Long-short-long-short means to raise the bridge, and Long-short-short is a friendly salute.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerial_Lift_Bridge

http://americanaramamusicfest.com

Did You Know?
Duluth has America’s only all-freshwater aquarium, the Great Lakes Aquarium and is named after the first known European explorer of the area, Daniel Greysolon, Le Sieur du Luth.

The Great Lakes Aquarium opened in 2000 and is located on the Duluth waterfront. A freshwater aquarium, its mission is to inspire people to explore their connection to Lake Superior and waters of the world. Great Lakes Aquarium features animals and habitats found within the Great Lakes basin and other freshwater ecosystems such as the Amazon River. The Aquarium houses 205 different species of fish, birds, reptiles, amphibians and mammals. It is one of few aquariums in the United States that focuses on freshwater exhibits.
Many of the main exhibits at 62,000-square-foot (5,800 m2) Great Lakes Aquarium (GLA) are based upon actual habitats in the Lake Superior basin. "Slices" of the St. Louis River, Baptism River, Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, Kakagon Slough, Isle Royale and Otter Cove can all be viewed up close.

PostPosted: Sun July 7th, 2013, 14:19 GMT 
Promethium Member

You gotta love a Llama that likes to dig.

PostPosted: Sun July 7th, 2013, 14:34 GMT 

These lawn chair people are gonna be mighty disappointed.

I really wish I could be going to this show. Not only is it Duluth with the cool bridge, it's also the 25th anniversary of my first show.

I was 17 and had been into him for a couple few years. Infidels/Empire Burlesque era, MuchMusic is what started it off, and I quickly bought as many albums as I could. This was the my first opportunity it see him and I was just stunned when he walked on stage. He's a real person! He's standing right there!! The first words out of his mouth were "Johnny's in the basement" from a song I knew and loved. Can't say I recognized many of them but I knew something was happening here and I'd have to see him again.

Guess the only thing the same for Duluth is gonna be Hard Rain.

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
9 July 1988

1. Subterranean Homesick Blues
2. It's All Over Now, Baby Blue
3. Masters Of War
4. Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues
5. Driftin' Too Far From Shore
6. Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again
7. A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall
8. Mama, You Been On My Mind
9. It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)
10. I Shall Be Released
11. Joey (Bob Dylan & Jacques Levy)
12. Like A Rolling Stone
13. The Times They Are A-Changin'
14. Maggie's Farm

Concert # 21 with the first Never-Ending Tour Band: Bob Dylan (vocal & guitar), G. E. Smith (guitar), Kenny Aaronson (bass), Christopher Parker (drums).

Note. First Never-Ending Tour performance of It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding), one of only three 1988 renditions.

PostPosted: Sun July 7th, 2013, 14:47 GMT 
Promethium Member

I liked that period for shows...GE Smith was fun.

PostPosted: Sun July 7th, 2013, 14:58 GMT 

I'll be there, hugging the rail.

PostPosted: Sun July 7th, 2013, 15:31 GMT 
Titanium Member

Great to hear Steichen - should be a good one!

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
You gotta love a Llama that likes to dig.

this Llama sticks his nose mostly everywhere....

PostPosted: Sun July 7th, 2013, 15:32 GMT 
Mercury Member

Steichen wrote:
I'll be there, hugging the rail.

You are in for a great show!!!!

Don't get yourself in trouble telling us stuff (unless you can get away with it) but do come back and tell us EVERYTHING!!!! 8)

PostPosted: Sun July 7th, 2013, 18:13 GMT 

Please Mrs. Henry

PostPosted: Sun July 7th, 2013, 18:23 GMT 
Promethium Member

Nietzsche wrote:
Please Mrs. Henry

That'd be funny.

PostPosted: Sun July 7th, 2013, 18:37 GMT 
Mercury Member

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
Nietzsche wrote:
Please Mrs. Henry

That'd be funny.

I agree, that would be very funny indeed!!! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun July 7th, 2013, 21:39 GMT 

T.V. Talkin Song
Handy Dandy
Swinging Doors
Boogie Chillen

PostPosted: Mon July 8th, 2013, 00:11 GMT 
Promethium Member

Nietzsche wrote:
T.V. Talkin Song
Handy Dandy
Swinging Doors
Boogie Chillen

Hey Nietzsche! He does Boogie Chillen, then I'm buying the beer!

PostPosted: Mon July 8th, 2013, 01:04 GMT 

Surprise second encore guests Jacob Dylan and Mick Jones

PostPosted: Mon July 8th, 2013, 01:11 GMT 

and Tom Waits shows up

PostPosted: Mon July 8th, 2013, 01:18 GMT 

and they all play til 3

PostPosted: Mon July 8th, 2013, 14:16 GMT 
Titanium Member

Getting Excited :)

If something is going to happen; it will happen here or nothing will happen all year.

PostPosted: Mon July 8th, 2013, 15:51 GMT 

Duluth, Minnesota
October 22, 1998
Duluth Entertainment Center (DECC)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gotta Serve Somebody
I'll Remember You
Cold Irons Bound
Just Like A Woman (with harp)
Can't Wait
Silvio
Tomorrow Is A Long Time (acoustic)
Masters Of War (acoustic)
Tangled Up In Blue (acoustic)
Don't Think Twice, It's All Right (acoustic)
Ballad Of A Thin Man
'Til I Fell In Love With You
(encore)

Love Sick
Rainy Day Women #12 & 35
Blowin' In The Wind (acoustic)
Highway 61 Revisited
Forever Young (acoustic)

Duluth, Minnesota
July 3, 1999
Bayfront Park
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

O Babe, It Ain't No Lie (acoustic)
Don't Think Twice, It's All Right (acoustic) (with harp)
Masters Of War (acoustic)
It's All Over Now, Baby Blue (acoustic) (Larry on Pedal Steel)
Tangled Up In Blue (acoustic) (with harp)
All Along The Watchtower
Tryin' To Get To Heaven
Joke: "My first girlfriend came from here. She was so conceited. I used to call her Mimi"
Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again
Make You Feel My Love

Highway 61 Revisited
(encore)

Like A Rolling Stone
Blowin' In The Wind (acoustic)
Not Fade Away

Bob played on the following songs during Paul Simon's opening set:

The Sound Of Silence (Duet with Paul Simon - Bob on harp)
I Walk The Line/Blue Moon Of Kentucky (medley with Paul Simon)
Knockin' On Heaven's Door (Duet with Paul Simon)

PostPosted: Mon July 8th, 2013, 23:40 GMT 

Location: By the waterfront docks, where the sailors all come in
A Merry Llama wrote:

Aerial Lift Bridge in 2007
Coordinates: 46°46′44.5″N 92°5′33.9″W
Built: 1905,
reconstructed in 1929

The Aerial Lift Bridge (earlier known as the Aerial Bridge or Aerial Ferry Bridge) is a major landmark in the port city of Duluth, Minnesota. The span is a vertical lift bridge, which is rather uncommon, but it began life as an extremely rare transporter bridge—the first of just two such bridges ever constructed in the United States.
Aerial gondola, circa 1908

Here is the other one, spanning the mighty Cape Cod Canal:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue July 9th, 2013, 00:59 GMT 
Mercury Member

Hey Charlie..... Did you get your guitars shipped in yet? If so, can you do that change the guitar three times in one song thing again......
I want you to have that perfected before you get to Mansfield.... :wink:

PostPosted: Tue July 9th, 2013, 01:25 GMT 

Forecast calls for rain, thunderstorms and possibly hail. This should be interesting...

PostPosted: Tue July 9th, 2013, 01:29 GMT 
Promethium Member

Steichen wrote:
Forecast calls for rain, thunderstorms and possibly hail. This should be interesting...

Don't they say, "if you don't like the weather just wait 10 minutes?"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next