Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed October 18th, 2017, 00:21 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 940 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 38  Next
PostPosted: Thu July 4th, 2013, 22:47 GMT 
Titanium Member

What? I've only just picked up on this. Charlie Sexton is back in the band? You turn away for 5 minutes and it all happens. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu July 4th, 2013, 22:49 GMT 
Titanium Member

Quote:
Blind Boy Zimmerman wrote:
I went back and listened to the spot recording. instead of the youtube.

Dukes solo is REALLY amazing work when listening to that recording. Generic blues? Not more than what any of the others are brining to thhe table.
Its a total joke that people judge him bases on a ragged handheld youtube clip with deteriorated sound levels.

beatutiful interplay in that by Duke, just beatiful. whats this thing about solos. this is not the man from unkle with hans solo. this is an enamble type playing interconnecting themselves nicely.
if bob wanted boring 10 min solos hed a got eric clapton. :o

PostPosted: Fri July 5th, 2013, 00:13 GMT 

lol:
goombay wrote:
DBBMF: Duke, Duke, what are we going to do with you.... Tony here tells me you refuse to admit that you were fired by bob for musical reasons......... Duke, do you know how many hours of Bob Youtube footage ive watched in my many years in Dylanology?????? Many thousands, yet you insult me and all the Dylanologists before and after me by denying the obvious...........
Duke do you know that ive been a master dylanologist for many many years???? that i know the 56 hand bob gestures and 69 face bob gestures that denote lying and bad eyeballing at a band member.
:) those inquiring dylanolgist minds need to know :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: can't they just love the music

PostPosted: Fri July 5th, 2013, 00:30 GMT 

goombay wrote:
GuillemTM wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=sL6q63j0m1E#at=725&hd=1

The answer is in minutes 12 to 14. I can't believe a musician can enter in Bob's band and act like this.

thats a very very nice rootsy Thunder, one of my fav versions actually, everybody got room to breathe. beautiful

the fellow with the huge glasses who films himself driving to the show not so much, maybe a valid generality is in order for him. :shock:

I won't discuss if the solo is good or bad. What's obvious is that, while everyone who has seen Bob in a show knows the band is completely aware of every Bob's gesture to change anything, in this performance Bob is trying him to stop and doesn't know how to do it. He stops playing and Duke doesn't seem to notice. Look at Bob at 12.54 until 13.14. I'ts "Hey man, will You stop anytime?". Then he goes to Donnie and asks him what could he do and Donnie seems to tell him "Try to enter when You can". He doesn't find a moment and looks to Donnie again with his hand on his hair. Stu realizes and tries to make a change but Duke goes on. Then Bob strums on the keyboard and finally, probably thanks to the help of Stu, finds the moment to sing again. He leaves no more spots to Duke to try a solo. In Highway 61 Duke seems to try to start a solo again but Bob stops him singing the next verse immediately.

It seems like if Duke thought it was him who people wanted to hear. In a little dose it could be acceptable but that's completely mad: one minute and a half ignoring Bob's instructions.

I'm sure it wasn't the first time it happened and Bob was sick of it.

PostPosted: Fri July 5th, 2013, 00:41 GMT 
Titanium Member

:shock:

have you timed charlies new solos, do they pass the 1 min 45 second mark? :o

PostPosted: Fri July 5th, 2013, 00:44 GMT 
Mercury Member

I've watched that clip a few times now, and it gets more awkward and uncomfortable each time. He definitely missed his cue, long before Bob really started exaggerating his displeasure.

PostPosted: Fri July 5th, 2013, 00:59 GMT 

goombay wrote:

have you timed charlies new solos, do they pass the 1 min 45 second mark? :o

I don't know, but it's not the long of the solo, but the long of Bob's expression of displesure. He's used to not even wait 2 seconds for the band to do what he asks for.

PostPosted: Fri July 5th, 2013, 01:03 GMT 
Titanium Member

i just noticed this video is from APRIL!!!!! :shock: i was taping the barry manilow concert for the folks at fox and it musta have numbed my mind, my bad. ITS FROM APRIL!!
Bob gonna fire someone today for 45 seconds he did 3 months ago???? probably the first show of the tour???????? :roll:

i thought this was from last week. :roll: im gonna go light up a firework with my cigar. :!:

Last edited by goombay on Fri July 5th, 2013, 01:07 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri July 5th, 2013, 01:06 GMT 

You know, this is a perfectly valid and interesting topic of discussion, but goombay is kinda ruining it. I'm actually kinda surprised that mgmt. allows him to carry on as he does.

PostPosted: Fri July 5th, 2013, 01:09 GMT 
Titanium Member

my posts are but the ONLY reasonable posts in this ENTIRE thread.
what kinda thing is to say that bob is gonna fire someone in JULY for a 45 second lick back in April?????
the concept boggles the mind. :shock: FOE ME PLEASE> :roll:

PostPosted: Fri July 5th, 2013, 01:18 GMT 

goombay wrote:
Belle Laugh wrote:
:lol: Goombay This discussion is who shot John, for sure- like that saying: There is a God and It's not you. The lighter thing in your story brought to mind how a pickpocket works, asking for a light and as the mark is led into the sudden extra hub-bub of finding a match and the request is being dealt with, the intended activity of the flip-generator is taking place, unnoticed. ie Something is being had besides a light!

I like Charlie and I like Duke. From watching videos, the only person I haven't liked on Bob's stage is that girl who ran up there to sing with him and he pulled on her to stay. And I'd probably like her in person, it's just that I would have liked to do that, except not only would I not be able to sing in that setting, I'm sure I couldn't talk either.

im sure you would do a good job singing with bob. have you seen in the movies, back in the day, when everybody sang opera? they had a perfume like gizmo that contained salty water that you would puff into your mouth. when you jump onstage puff rapidly and then run to the mic.
see ya in youtube. good luck. :shock:

well Yuck, Goombay! I'll leave that kind of fugly scene to you while I be like that cute girl was with her hat.

I don't like dealing with this stuff while there's fireworks happening, so any further remarks will have to be put on hold.

Except- Some people in the Memphis crowd at Auto Zone Park said they had seen Jakob there (that night)! Maybe that could mean he is around on the tour? That's all I know about that

PostPosted: Fri July 5th, 2013, 01:19 GMT 

goombay wrote:
what kinda thing is to say that bob is gonna fire someone in JULY for a 45 second lick back in April?????

I agree... Must have been something more recent. Perhaps he ate bob's snacks for all we k ow

PostPosted: Fri July 5th, 2013, 02:01 GMT 

pigwithoutawig wrote:
Wow, that video from April 6 shows why Bob could be pissed. Duke was really stealing the show from Bob on Thunder and on Highway 61 it sounds like everyone is playing something different. If this is the way it was the last couple of shows I can't blame Bob. Everyone knows it's hard to follow Bob when you play with him maybe Duke couldn't do it and Bob finally said enough. But I saw them after that show and thought it was great. Maybe things had changed.

Yeah, goom. Maybe if people would read posts before commenting they may know what and when people are talking about. Instead of posting just to try and annoy other posters, as if your opinion is the only one that is valid. Hence my previous post a few pages back.

PostPosted: Fri July 5th, 2013, 02:19 GMT 
Titanium Member

maybe people should just read and respond as they see fit. instead of going back and rechecking every post to make sure you didnt miss some rocket science somewhere before posting some common sense. :shock:

Duke STOLE the show from Bob despite his being so far back hardly anyone in the aud knows hes even there much less exactly who is playing what. unreal.

they are all playing something different, but duke is stealing the show despite being uncoordinated with everybody else. :shock:

i dont want to be the bearer of bad news but half of the stuff posted here barely pass muster as opinions. but carry on with the discourse. i think im warming up to the theory about the cookies that makes about as much sense, or maybe duke got fired because he was gaining too much weight goin up on the room service. carry on, im gonna just sit here and read the succint analysis. :shock:

Please carry on with the theories, just pretend im not here. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri July 5th, 2013, 02:26 GMT 

ceptyou wrote:
goombay wrote:

I agree... Must have been something more recent.

For the record, the Buffalo shaming wasn't presented as the reason Duke left, but as an example of a sort of conflict that has been reported on throughout Duke's short ride on the NET, for which we have video evidence.

PostPosted: Fri July 5th, 2013, 02:30 GMT 
Titanium Member

if im not mistaken, a few posts up you can read that the 'THE ANSWER" is in minutes 12 to 14 of the video. :shock:

that seems pretty dismissive of all other opinions or rather dismissive of all other opininions that dont jibe with the theory. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri July 5th, 2013, 02:39 GMT 

Is there an "ignore" feature on this forum?

Edited to add: I figured it out, thanks. I just wish there was some way of getting rid of the little bar that appears in place of his posts that asks me if I want to display them after all.

PostPosted: Fri July 5th, 2013, 02:54 GMT 
Titanium Member

:oops:

Last edited by goombay on Fri July 5th, 2013, 03:09 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri July 5th, 2013, 02:56 GMT 

rbgeorge wrote:
For the record, the Buffalo shaming wasn't presented as the reason Duke left, but as an example of a sort of conflict that has been reported on throughout Duke's short ride on the NET, for which we have video evidence.
buffalo shaming... i thought that was some new americana band... i'm going for more of a punkier name for my band... maybe.. video evidence :idea: :D

PostPosted: Fri July 5th, 2013, 03:19 GMT 

Watched the youtube clip from 12-14. My interpretation, the solo or lack thereof was not going anywhere, he was basically just playing variations of the chords in the song. After about 30 secs. of nothing Bob walks over to Donnie and says " what is this shit?" Then goes back to the keyboard, and looks a The dukester perhaps puzzled, "I'm paying you for this?" Finally some interplay between duke and the other guitarist begins and after 10 secs of that, Bob resumes singing.

Bottom line, he was not a good fit.

PostPosted: Fri July 5th, 2013, 03:38 GMT 

bottom line.. cnn or fox :shock: , probably would have showed more restraint than the "fans" in talking about this thing, not a good sign... i know nancy grace is on here somewhere though

PostPosted: Fri July 5th, 2013, 04:24 GMT 
Promethium Member

Goombay is right, there's really no reason to doubt Duke saying he quit the band - I find it really strange that some people find it so important to believe he must have been fired. Is that because it might reflect badly on Bob if Duke quit? Or what?

PostPosted: Fri July 5th, 2013, 04:42 GMT 

smoke wrote:
Goombay is right, there's really no reason to doubt Duke saying he quit the band - I find it really strange that some people find it so important to believe he must have been fired. Is that because it might reflect badly on Bob if Duke quit? Or what?

Caution: be extra careful about pointing out to certain people here that Bob is human and sometimes something obvious is what it is - obvious. You might end up getting chased around the board for the next few months and have specific people gain an obsessive hatred of you based on things you never said.

However, with the right tequila and cigars at your disposal, it can all come across as amusing. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri July 5th, 2013, 04:57 GMT 

Again, for the record, I believe Duke when he says he quit. I think the real question is whether or not the situation was brought on by these onstage conflicts, regardless of who ended it.

PostPosted: Fri July 5th, 2013, 05:12 GMT 

rbgeorge wrote:
Again, for the record, I believe Duke when he says he quit. I think the real question is whether or not the situation was brought on by these onstage conflicts, regardless of who ended it.

Let us just say that he jumped before he was pushed.

Let us also say that it was not his choice to jump/be pushed.

If he wasn't bitter, he wouldn't have posted the Facebook comments. It's that simple.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 940 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 38  Next