Expecting Rain
http://www.expectingrain.com/discussions/

Is Duke already finished in Bobs band
http://www.expectingrain.com/discussions/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=76228
Page 16 of 38

Author:  John B. Stetson [ Thu July 4th, 2013, 15:59 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Duke already finished in Bobs band

I'm a little bummed as I was looking forward to seeing the band next week with Duke in it--really enjoyed what I've heard of the spring tour. Seems clear something happened between him and Bob. My speculative guess is that Duke's purpose just didn't jive with Bob's purpose and he realized he was in the wrong place at the wrong time doing the wrong thing. Happens all the time to a lot of people. And the way it all went down publicly doesn't strike me as particularly childish, relative to my experiences anyway. Thanks for your contribution Duke to the great spring go-round!

Author:  goombay [ Thu July 4th, 2013, 16:05 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Duke already finished in Bobs band

after perusing this thread and affixed commentary i got the inspiration to commence work on a screeplay. here are some of the more pertinent portions already written:

to set the scene: a small room in a seedy hotel in the black section of Riviera Beach Fl. Noon time. Tony (aka the Henchman) adding some chunks of alligator meat to a boiling pot of gumbo..... none other than Duke Robillard is sitting in a garden chair in the middle of the room tied up with the very guitar strings that once adorned his beloved epiphone guitar, now strew across the floor in pieces. unable to speak, 4 harmonicas plugged in his mouth and cirumbulated with duck tape, allow him only to moan in misery and pain.


KNOCK KNOCK ( a knock on the door)

Tony: who is it

Open up, its me DBBMDF (Devoted Bob Basher Master Dylanologist Fan).

Tony>RIGHT AWAY BOSS!!!!!

DBBMDF walks in soflty ambling in on the soles of his foot, and has Tony remove the harmonicas from Duke mouth...


DBBMF: Duke, Duke, what are we going to do with you.... Tony here tells me you refuse to admit that you were fired by bob for musical reasons......... Duke, do you know how many hours of Bob Youtube footage ive watched in my many years in Dylanology?????? Many thousands, yet you insult me and all the Dylanologists before and after me by denying the obvious...........
Duke do you know that ive been a master dylanologist for many many years???? that i know the 56 hand bob gestures and 69 face bob gestures that denote lying and bad eyeballing at a band member. do you think you can sit there and lie about NOT quitting for musical reason and i couldnt read you like a book. Duke, you did some good playing back years ago, go out with some dignity, admit the truth, do NOT insult my intelligence...

Duke: ok, Mr Master Dylanologist......... Tony, do you have a smoke?? (Tony pulls out a tiparillo and plugs in Duke mouth lighting it up with a gold lighter with little blue feathers coming out of it a strange looking piece).......... now, mr master dylanologist, if you you know all these intricate bob signs tell me one thing.......AM I LYIN WHEN I SAY THAT BOB GAVE CHARLIE THE EVIL EYE EVERY NIGHT FOR 2 YEARS and is NOW WEARING A HAT WITH A RED FEATHER ON STAGE???????

...BAM BAM BAM adios Duke. :shock:

Author:  John B. Stetson [ Thu July 4th, 2013, 16:26 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Duke already finished in Bobs band

:lol:
You can spot and call out the true bob haters no doubt. Get on that screenplay--lookin' wacky. I gotta think there are few of us who go to Bob's show to see the guitar player.

Author:  Belle Laugh [ Thu July 4th, 2013, 16:35 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Duke already finished in Bobs band

:lol: Goombay This discussion is who shot John, for sure- like that saying: There is a God and It's not you. The lighter thing in your story brought to mind how a pickpocket works, asking for a light and as the mark is led into the sudden extra hub-bub of finding a match and the request is being dealt with, the intended activity of the flip-generator is taking place, unnoticed. ie Something is being had besides a light!

I like Charlie and I like Duke. From watching videos, the only person I haven't liked on Bob's stage is that girl who ran up there to sing with him and he pulled on her to stay. And I'd probably like her in person, it's just that I would have liked to do that, except not only would I not be able to sing in that setting, I'm sure I couldn't talk either.

Author:  Blind Boy Zimmerman [ Thu July 4th, 2013, 17:52 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Duke already finished in Bobs band

Anyone listened back on the Atlanta version of Highwater ? Sound quite weird. George doesnt change tempos after each verse. But they seem to do it in memphis!?

Author:  rbgeorge [ Thu July 4th, 2013, 17:55 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Duke already finished in Bobs band

Belle Laugh wrote:
:lol: Goombay This discussion is who shot John, for sure- like that saying: There is a God and It's not you.


There are many reports from people who actually attended these shows and witnessed these events, even more who weren't there but find their reports and interpretations believable, and then a few others who are using the fact that, ultimately, none of us really know anything as a means by which they attempt to defend their hero. I don't think there are two equal sides here.

Author:  goombay [ Thu July 4th, 2013, 18:28 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Duke already finished in Bobs band

:roll:

the fact that nobody ultimately knows nothing has never stopped anyone from gossiping up a storm thats true. :shock:

facts are to be ignored. these are same watchers that have been reporting for years on bob staredowns and unjuctous (sp) hand and head gestures at stu and charlie for not a few shows but for many tours, 6-7 years worth of tours. who is onstage now, charlie and stu. :shock:


then they were contemptible of those who defended bob for getting rid of charlie now charlie is back and the gets tore up for that. :shock:

Author:  rbgeorge [ Thu July 4th, 2013, 18:37 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Duke already finished in Bobs band

Never stopped anyone from forming valid generalities, either.

Author:  Tambach [ Thu July 4th, 2013, 19:09 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Duke already finished in Bobs band

:!: :!:
John B. Stetson wrote:
I'm a little bummed as I was looking forward to seeing the band next week with Duke in it--really enjoyed what I've heard of the spring tour. Seems clear something happened between him and Bob. My speculative guess is that Duke's purpose just didn't jive with Bob's purpose and he realized he was in the wrong place at the wrong time doing the wrong thing. Happens all the time to a lot of people. And the way it all went down publicly doesn't strike me as particularly childish, relative to my experiences anyway. Thanks for your contribution Duke to the great spring go-round!

Author:  goombay [ Thu July 4th, 2013, 19:36 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Duke already finished in Bobs band

rbgeorge wrote:
Never stopped anyone from forming valid generalities, either.


calling gossip valid generalities is like calling a military coup and informal removal. :shock:

Author:  John B. Stetson [ Thu July 4th, 2013, 20:59 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Duke already finished in Bobs band

you're right. there's no point to this.

Looking forward to seeing the sold-out show next week. Last time he played Midway stadium in 2005 I came out looking like I'd been through an "informal removal"--I had a rough time pushing my way through to the 'front'. Praying it's a little easier this time. C'mon Bob--play me some Narrow Way for inspiration.

Author:  A Merry Llama [ Thu July 4th, 2013, 21:34 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Duke already finished in Bobs band

and please keep your ketchup sealed until you get to your spots!

Author:  nocda2 [ Thu July 4th, 2013, 21:48 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Duke already finished in Bobs band

so here's what I think

1 - Duke turned out to be a bust - I don't know what anyone thinks he was adding to Bob's sound

2 - time for Bob to shake up the setlists

3 - I wonder how long Charlie will last - will he even be the guitarist tomorrow??

Author:  shitjoy [ Thu July 4th, 2013, 21:55 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Duke already finished in Bobs band

nocda2 wrote:
1 - Duke turned out to be a bust - I don't know what anyone thinks he was adding to Bob's sound


I strongly disagree. When I saw Dylan in April, Duke's playing caught my attention on several songs that night. More so than any guitarist in Dylan's band in recent memory.

Author:  gibsona07 [ Thu July 4th, 2013, 21:58 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Duke already finished in Bobs band

nocda2 wrote:
so here's what I think

1 - Duke turned out to be a bust - I don't know what anyone thinks he was adding to Bob's sound

2 - time for Bob to shake up the setlists

3 - I wonder how long Charlie will last - will he even be the guitarist tomorrow??


Who needs changing setlists when you have no idea who the lead guitarist is going to be?! I for one find it riveting!

Author:  pottel [ Thu July 4th, 2013, 22:07 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Duke already finished in Bobs band

Cipher_Pipe wrote:
A real shame. I quite enjoyed the new understated sound.

I loved Charlie when he came back and those first few tours were excellent. However, it's one of those things one has consigned to the past and I, for one, was looking forward to where the next stage of the NET would go. I hope the 'rockabilly' sound now doesn't come back.

Presumably the old tensions are still there and I hope we will see Duke come back for Europe or, indeed, a new guitarist. Not Mark Knopfler, if we may.

A load of bull. Bit too much calibre to play his lead guitarist full time.

Author:  goombay [ Thu July 4th, 2013, 22:08 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Duke already finished in Bobs band

John B. Stetson wrote:
you're right. there's no point to this.

Looking forward to seeing the sold-out show next week. Last time he played Midway stadium in 2005 I came out looking like I'd been through an "informal removal"--I had a rough time pushing my way through to the 'front'. Praying it's a little easier this time. C'mon Bob--play me some Narrow Way for inspiration.



ive been to many bob shows and ive never even noticed any hand signals except one time when john jackson was the guitar player. im not sure if it was his fault or maybe the drummer or that droll bucky but at one point, bob quit playin the guitar and threw his arms up to heaven as if praying for solace, then put his hands on top his head and shook it in a no circular fashion as if saying LORD dont do this to me. dont know why or wheretofore, but all the musicians on there were there for many years afteward so maybe it was the guitar that was out of tune. :shock:

Author:  GuillemTM [ Thu July 4th, 2013, 22:10 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Duke already finished in Bobs band

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=sL6q63j0m1E#at=725&hd=1

The answer is in minutes 12 to 14. I can't believe a musician can enter in Bob's band and act like this.

Author:  Cipher_Pipe [ Thu July 4th, 2013, 22:16 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Duke already finished in Bobs band

pottel wrote:
Cipher_Pipe wrote:
A real shame. I quite enjoyed the new understated sound.

I loved Charlie when he came back and those first few tours were excellent. However, it's one of those things one has consigned to the past and I, for one, was looking forward to where the next stage of the NET would go. I hope the 'rockabilly' sound now doesn't come back.

Presumably the old tensions are still there and I hope we will see Duke come back for Europe or, indeed, a new guitarist. Not Mark Knopfler, if we may.

A load of bull. Bit too much calibre to play his lead guitarist full time.


Excuse me? :?

Author:  A Merry Llama [ Thu July 4th, 2013, 22:18 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Duke already finished in Bobs band

gibsona07 wrote:
nocda2 wrote:
so here's what I think

1 - Duke turned out to be a bust - I don't know what anyone thinks he was adding to Bob's sound

2 - time for Bob to shake up the setlists

3 - I wonder how long Charlie will last - will he even be the guitarist tomorrow??


Who needs changing setlists when you have no idea who the lead guitarist is going to be?! I for one find it riveting!


:lol:

Author:  Blind Boy Zimmerman [ Thu July 4th, 2013, 22:22 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Duke already finished in Bobs band

pottel wrote:
Cipher_Pipe wrote:
A real shame. I quite enjoyed the new understated sound.

I loved Charlie when he came back and those first few tours were excellent. However, it's one of those things one has consigned to the past and I, for one, was looking forward to where the next stage of the NET would go. I hope the 'rockabilly' sound now doesn't come back.

Presumably the old tensions are still there and I hope we will see Duke come back for Europe or, indeed, a new guitarist. Not Mark Knopfler, if we may.


A load of bull. Bit too much calibre to play his lead guitarist full time.


Agreed, Knopfler probably made way more money on his own stuff than Dylan anyway.

Wonder why "Fuzzy" Koella never got called back. He did leave because of sickness, and Bob seemed real happy with his work. Maybe more than any other actually.

Author:  goombay [ Thu July 4th, 2013, 22:30 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Duke already finished in Bobs band

GuillemTM wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=sL6q63j0m1E#at=725&hd=1

The answer is in minutes 12 to 14. I can't believe a musician can enter in Bob's band and act like this.


thats a very very nice rootsy Thunder, one of my fav versions actually, everybody got room to breathe. beautiful

the fellow with the huge glasses who films himself driving to the show not so much, maybe a valid generality is in order for him. :shock:

Author:  Blind Boy Zimmerman [ Thu July 4th, 2013, 22:39 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Duke already finished in Bobs band

goombay wrote:
GuillemTM wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=sL6q63j0m1E#at=725&hd=1

The answer is in minutes 12 to 14. I can't believe a musician can enter in Bob's band and act like this.


thats a very very nice rootsy Thunder, one of my fav versions actually, everybody got room to breathe. beautiful

the fellow with the huge glasses who films himself driving to the show not so much, maybe a valid generality is in order for him. :shock:


I went back and listened to the spot recording. instead of the youtube.

Dukes solo is REALLY amazing work when listening to that recording. Generic blues? Not more than what any of the others are brining to thhe table.
Its a total joke that people judge him bases on a ragged handheld youtube clip with deteriorated sound levels.

Author:  nocda2 [ Thu July 4th, 2013, 22:40 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Duke already finished in Bobs band

that is one horrible guitar solo in that video

man

Author:  goombay [ Thu July 4th, 2013, 22:44 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Duke already finished in Bobs band

Belle Laugh wrote:
:lol: Goombay This discussion is who shot John, for sure- like that saying: There is a God and It's not you. The lighter thing in your story brought to mind how a pickpocket works, asking for a light and as the mark is led into the sudden extra hub-bub of finding a match and the request is being dealt with, the intended activity of the flip-generator is taking place, unnoticed. ie Something is being had besides a light!

I like Charlie and I like Duke. From watching videos, the only person I haven't liked on Bob's stage is that girl who ran up there to sing with him and he pulled on her to stay. And I'd probably like her in person, it's just that I would have liked to do that, except not only would I not be able to sing in that setting, I'm sure I couldn't talk either.



im sure you would do a good job singing with bob. have you seen in the movies, back in the day, when everybody sang opera? they had a perfume like gizmo that contained salty water that you would puff into your mouth. when you jump onstage puff rapidly and then run to the mic.
see ya in youtube. good luck. :shock:

Page 16 of 38 All times are UTC
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
https://www.phpbb.com/