Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue October 24th, 2017, 00:30 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 940 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 38  Next
PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 15:24 GMT 

And then (34 minutes ago):

How can you NOT love BD? Guess I'll be keeping CDs! LOL

Someone asked:

So you'll be in Hoboken on the 26th?????

And Duke posted:

No I don't love him THAT much! How words can be misinterpreted! Maybe I should quit Facebook....

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 15:25 GMT 
Senior Moderator

tom thumb wrote:
BostonAreaBobFan, you know Duke's music pre-Bob much better than I, but from my observation as a non-musician at the Atlanta show, I agree with trevgibb's post above. The licks Duke played just weren't that interesting, weren't very fluid to my ears, and seemed tentative.

No doubt, however it's not because he's not a hugely versatile talent. Clearly, he was given an expectation of how/what he was supposed to perform. In that regard, he wasn't any different than any of the other guys thru the years.

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 15:28 GMT 

BostonAreaBobFan wrote:
No doubt, however it's not because he's not a hugely versatile talent. Clearly, he was given an expectation of how/what he was supposed to perform. In that regard, he wasn't any different than any of the other guys thru the years.

Great point. Who knows how much Bob curtailed Duke's natural abilities. We certainly saw Bob do it with Charlie Sexton on his last go-round with the band... he seemed like he had invisible restraints on his playing sometimes! 8)

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 15:31 GMT 

tom thumb wrote:

Maybe he wasn't allowed to show of, as we've seen with Charlie in latter tours aswell and obviously you have not heard Dukes work with Tom Waits then...

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 15:31 GMT 
Senior Moderator

It must be very frustrating for a musician when they have to hold back during a performance that begs for their contribution.

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 15:32 GMT 

GREAT work by Charlie - who clearly get allowed, here btw:

check 3.14 in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF3o9i5eKDs

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 15:33 GMT 

The video from April is really interesting. Obviously Dylan is not pleased there. And it isn't because Duke is stepping on Dylan's playing or singing.

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 15:34 GMT 
Senior Moderator

I can't access youtube from work. Was this clip from last night's show? I'll have to check it out later.

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 15:34 GMT 
Senior Moderator

^Oops - Stepped on patford's post.

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 15:35 GMT 

I certainly gave Duke a chance. Just never thought his playing was that hip.

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 15:39 GMT 

Location: By the waterfront docks, where the sailors all come in
Nothing grouindbreaking, but saw this on the jambands.com site just now:

But perhaps the night’s biggest surprise took place during Bob Dylan’s show-closing set. Earlier this year Rhode Island-native Duke Robillard replaced Charlie Sexton as the lead guitarist in Dylan’s band. Many speculated that Dylan had stuck even closer to his standard setlist than usual as he broke in his new guitarist. However, last night Sexton rejoined Dylan’s band while Robillard was conspicuously absent. It is not known who will play lead guitar with Dylan for the rest of his tour.
The traveling festival moves on to Tuscaloosa, AL’s Tuscaloosa Amphitheater this evening.

Funny, I am listening to the rebroadcast of the "Friends" TTRH, in which Bob quotes Oscar Wilde's definition of a friend as "Someone who will stab you in the front".

Last edited by capecod on Wed July 3rd, 2013, 15:43 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 15:42 GMT 
Titanium Member

patford wrote:
Dylan is the band leader and has a band sound in mind. The sound Dylan is looking for is one which does not promote the all too typical "B.B. King shit." People who are interested in Allman Brothers blues,or '70s guitar rock have plenty of outlets. There are probably four or five bars in any decent sized town where local bands indulge their forty year old fantasies of recreating the sound of Lou Reed's or David Bowie's awful '70s live albums.
When you see a fan mention Dylan's "three note solos" it's an indication that fan has no feel for what Dylan is doing. He isn't "soloing" he's playing rhythm with single notes rather than strummed chords. He's not looking to step out and play a solo, he's looking to create a groove, and that does not involve any of the players taking a solo.
I can't say what happened with Dylan and Duke. I thought they meshed extremely well in the Spring. The new tour leg hasn't yielded any decent audio, so I've no idea what happened to cause things to fall apart so fast. Dylan had always been a big supporter of Duke, recall that Duke was one of "Dylan's guys" brought in over the objections of Lanois on TOOM. I would have thought based on the Spring leg as well as Duke's age and experience he would have full understanding of his role. The idea a musician would feel restrained in Dylan's band would logically only apply to some young kid with bad taste who was trying to impress a cute girl in the front row. To play in the style Dylan is looking for would be more challenging and present more opportunity for nightly "in the moment" interplay as the musicians have to pay close attention and react to subtle shifts. What would be a lot easier would be to simply go up there and start recycling a bunch of pointless "guitar-god" licks. That would be the easy thing to do, not the interesting or challenging thing to do.

excellent post!!

BostonAreaBobFan wrote:
It must be very frustrating for a musician when they have to hold back during a performance that begs for their contribution.

that sentiment isn't usually extended to members of an orchestra, who are bound by the notes on the page and the conductor's direction - yet they manage to contribute, nonetheless.

ClaudioEz22 wrote:
And then (34 minutes ago):

How can you NOT love BD? Guess I'll be keeping CDs! LOL

Someone asked:

So you'll be in Hoboken on the 26th?????

And Duke posted:

No I don't love him THAT much! How words can be misinterpreted! Maybe I should quit Facebook....

I'm guessing that means he got word that Bob still will pay him what he would have made to finish the tour.

Last edited by A Merry Llama on Wed July 3rd, 2013, 15:56 GMT, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 15:49 GMT 

BostonAreaBobFan wrote:
I can't access youtube from work. Was this clip from last night's show? I'll have to check it out later.

yes first half of the set is there

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 15:52 GMT 
Senior Moderator

Thanks, BBZ

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 15:55 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
BostonAreaBobFan wrote:

You underestimate Duke Robillard's talent as an "all-round" guitarist. He can play anything if given enough room to do so.

Well said Beantown.

I don't necessarily disagree with that.

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 16:08 GMT 

BostonAreaBobFan wrote:
tom thumb wrote:
BostonAreaBobFan, you know Duke's music pre-Bob much better than I, but from my observation as a non-musician at the Atlanta show, I agree with trevgibb's post above. The licks Duke played just weren't that interesting, weren't very fluid to my ears, and seemed tentative.

Given the recent Denny Freeman audio interview I'm not so sure he was.

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 16:09 GMT 
Mercury Member

Blind Boy Zimmerman wrote:

check 3.14 in:

Thank you for this..... YEAH!!!!

It sure seemed like both on and off stage they were having a very good time!!!

I am so ready for Mansfield!!!!

.... and yes, I am hoping for Charlie to be there on lead!!!!

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 16:16 GMT 

check 3.14 in:

That's more soloing than Bob has allowed Charlie in the past few months. You can see Charlie get the head nod from Bob.

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 16:18 GMT 

That show sounds great. I still liked Moody Fire Towers, as I choose to call the low key spring tour with Duke.

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 16:28 GMT 

that charlie was waaay up front in his return show...night and day from his last stand i reckon. i mean 2000-03 sounding.

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 16:33 GMT 

film major wrote:

check 3.14 in:

That's more soloing than Bob has allowed Charlie in the past few months. You can see Charlie get the head nod from Bob.

I was thinking the same. When I saw Bob last summer & fall Charlie was just not there, nothing like this at all.

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 16:34 GMT 
Titanium Member

rbgeorge wrote:
I'm sure that making the same post in two threads is frowned upon, but I figured people tuning in to this thread might like a little visual of Bob shaming Duke. This comes from Duke's first show, April 5th in Buffalo, during an extended performance of Thunder on the Mountain.

Quote:
I have witnessed Bob give a couple of onstage "shamings", including the one in Buffalo this April which was referenced in this or one of the other Duke threads, over which there was some debate as to whether or not it was actually a shaming (I was on the rail for it, watched it closely, and took it to be a shaming). What you describe sounds like it could've happened the night after Buffalo.

AWESOME...in researching my previous comments on this event, I found an excellent video of it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sL6q63j0m1E

Fast forward to about 12:00 or so. Bob gives Duke a ridiculous amount of room to solo and Duke just doesn't go anywhere with it. You can see Bob get a little fed up. At 12:48, Bob drops his hands to his sides in a rather defeated-looking way, looks around for a moment, then moves his harmonica mic and leans up against the piano, listening to Duke. To me, the look on Bob's face at this point said "Oh, really? Really? Jeezus..." He bops his head along for a moment, then at 13:09 Bob drops his head, slams his harmonica mic on the piano, and walks away. After a few words with Donnie, he comes back to the piano to "listen" to Duke some more, only this time his posture is much more mocking, with his hands up on the piano, elbows locked, nodding even more sarcastically, tapping his hand on the piano, scratching his head and looking back toward Donnie as if to say, "Did I leave the stove on?", putting his hand on his hip, and finally re-entering on piano rather loudly.

At the time of the show, several people interpreted this to be Bob earnestly "giving respect" to Duke, leaning back and watching the spectacle. However, Duke was really dogging it during this performance and everything about Bob's facial expression and body language, both in person and in this video, said shaming to me.

Edited to add: His onstage manner during this incident reminds me a great deal of when he couldn't find his harmonica on Letterman.

awesome find! thanks for posting. That kid was quite funny actually. I enjoyed the whole video. man, there were some intense moments!

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 16:46 GMT 

They're on fire, that's for sure. One of the most inspired Early Roman Kings I've heared to date. Check out Charlie's solo licks, towards the end..:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogGMJpeeBP8

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 16:47 GMT 

I let him play proudly, but now he is gone
Gone as the season he's taken.

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 16:52 GMT 

trevgibb wrote:

Given the recent Denny Freeman audio interview I'm not so sure he was.

a link to this ?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 940 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 38  Next