Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed November 22nd, 2017, 23:52 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 940 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 38  Next
PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 05:23 GMT 

I thought Charlie's been with him for a while..?

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 05:28 GMT 

According to The Bob Dylan Examiner:

Earlier tonight, Bob Dylan’s AmericanaramA tour with WILCO and My Morning Jacket, landed in Memphis, Tennessee, at the Autopark Zone. This was the fifth show of the tour, and first with the Richard Thompson Electric Trio, replacing Bob Weir in the opening slot.

The big news was Charlie Sexton back on guitar, replacing recent addition Duke Robillard in Dylan's band, and an unexpected appearance by John Prine, performing his song “All The Best” with My Morning Jacket.
Robillard had the following messages posted on his Facebook page on Sunday:
For sale Bob Dylan CD and record collection for sale slightly used.
I will be selling a lot of guitars and amps soon. I'll keep you posted ......
The first one has since been deleted, and the below messages were among the messagesposted since:
Geez folks Thanks! No emergency situation. I simply have too much stuff and want to un-complicate my life. Thanks for the sincerely helpful suggestions though. That's really nice of you all. Give me a little time to go through everything. (Yesterday)
I'm a lucky guy, I have to say humbly, I have the greatest wife a man could have. Lucky me! (Today)
What this all means is anybody's guess, but in any case, the Duke is gone, and Charlie is back. At least for now.

http://www.examiner.com/article/dylan-memphis-sexton-replaces-duke-john-prine-guests-with-my-morning-jacket

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 05:33 GMT 

Well, I have to say I am really disappointed. I was so looking forward to seeing the new set-up. Not quite so sure of the sanity of the rush to get all my UK tickets for November now.

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 06:41 GMT 

Duke Robillard wrote:

Well that pretty much tells you what he thinks about it.

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 07:03 GMT 

Mutabor wrote:
"as my college music teacher said to me in class, "Don't worry Robillard, no one's COMPLETELY hopeless" Nice guy eh? Arthur E Chatfield was his name i believe. I quit school the next day.........."

That entry on his fb account basically tells the end of the whole story. A man with guts and dignity, it seems.

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 07:40 GMT 

P. Pittsburgh Joe wrote:
Blind Boy Zimmerman wrote:
Latest cryptic stuff from Duke

"For The month of July, Duke Robillard and Jack Gauthier are running a special for single, demo or album poroduction at the legendary Lakewest Recording in West Greenwich, RI inquire at jpgmanagement@gmail.com"

Wonder how he can be producing albums while being on stage with Bob? Hopefully he stays on tour.

I'll bet he stays on the tour. I don't know the first thing about producing an album. But nowadays with technology it seems just about any job in the world can be done from a remote location. Possibly whoever this Jack may be is doing the grunt work & sending sound files to Duke over the internet, then Duke provides feedback. Doesn't strike me as being outside the realm of possibility.

Joe:

Even if technology is there (which it isn't for producing an album remotely in good quality atlast) wouldnt that be a little too much and too less focussing on his primary commitment?

As I understand it, he has now unfortunately quit/been thrown out, which is a first in mid-tour since early 90ies I believe. That does tell quite a lot. An it was NOT the plan - on Dukes FB his wife worte "See you in 18 days" presumeably that she would join him when they got to Toronto.

Overspeculating was mentioned earlier in this thread, which I could understand, eventhough Dukes openess has been very cryptic.
Talking about overspeculating, where does this leave the ER forum speculations about Charlie being pissed on the last tour in 2012 !??

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 08:11 GMT 

Sounds like a clash of egos to me. With a few exceptions since 1993 (Freddy Koella in 2003 springs to mind) noone plays lead guitar in Dylan's band band except Bob. Even the much vaunted years of 1999-2002 when Bob was employing such stellar players as Larry Campbell and Charlie Sexton many tunes were ruined by Bob's notorious three note solos. The only thing that has changed since then is that Bob now plunks them out on the piano/keyboard.
It is one of the sadder aspects of Dylan's performance art that he feels compelled to keep his musicians on such a tight leash and refuses to be challenged in any way. At the same time he is the boss, and he pays the cheques. Who would want the gig as Dylan's 'lead' guitar player? Duke really should have done some research. A simple chat to Charlie would have sufficed!
Then again this could all be supposition and Duke's departing really could be the result of one heated onstage exchange. I think it's safe to say that if Dylan was thinking of changing guitar players he would have done it before this leg commenced.
If Duke was pushed for his part perhaps he really should have stayed off facebook, funny though his posts are to read! Slagging your boss off in public is only ever going to have one end result.
Also I may be in the minority here but I have to say I really don't think Duke added much to Bob's sound, although this is based on the single concert recording I have listened to from this year...

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 08:39 GMT 

Dylan is a classic socio-path, he does not know how to talk to people or how to explain what he wants. he expects people to read his mind and gets frustrated when they can't. Poor Duke. I thought the last tour was superb. What I'd really like to know is why Charlie left and how he got the gig again?? That man has had more come backs than....

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 08:47 GMT 

rbgeorge wrote:
Elana James left mid tour under suspect circumstances.

Your comment lead me to this interview with Elana: http://greenville.metromix.com/music/ar ... 36/content
It has this interesting paragraph about working with Dylan:

"Bob Dylan, he’s like a jazz musician, a real improviser and spontaneous kind of a person and I really enjoyed playing parts with him. That was kind of my role in his band. We did that together a lot during those shows and it was a lot of fun. Since I’ve started this band, for the last 12 or 13 years, Bob Dylan is the only person I’ve worked for and that was for less than a year. It’s kind of disconcerting when you work for someone. You know what your instincts are, but you kind of have to temper those with what you perceive is expected by the person in charge. That’s a skill some people have mastered, but I’m not that familiar with it."

That last sentence rings rather loud at the moment.

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 09:14 GMT 

A real shame. I quite enjoyed the new understated sound.

I loved Charlie when he came back and those first few tours were excellent. However, it's one of those things one has consigned to the past and I, for one, was looking forward to where the next stage of the NET would go. I hope the 'rockabilly' sound now doesn't come back.

Presumably the old tensions are still there and I hope we will see Duke come back for Europe or, indeed, a new guitarist. Not Mark Knopfler, if we may.

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 09:18 GMT 

Thanks for posting that Elana quote. And yes, it seems that Stu manages it quite well, Charlie did't do it quite so well in the latter part of this last stint and Duke didn't want to / couldn't do it at all.

I guess up to a point it depends on much much you have to scale down your own ambitions/talent. If you only know five chords and are only expected to play three, you don't lose as much, as if you're a virtuoso who's just required to play three chords.

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 09:45 GMT 

Zeppelin Crumble wrote:
Duke Robillard wrote:

Well that pretty much tells you what he thinks about it.

Yes "slightly used" suggests a not very amicable parting of the ways. (And contrasts sharply with the nice words in his recently published interview.)

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 09:46 GMT 

So Dylan is having the usual? Putting people down, but this one did not take it?

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 10:21 GMT 

Didn't Stu leave and then return. Billy Burnette was only in for one leg I think. Also Kenny Arronson quit because of poor health was allegedly told after his health picked up he could return to the first NET band. Bob was supposed to have refused to let him back in and is reputed to have said "I don't give a shit who plays the bass" before hiring Tony to play the bass with him who has now played with Bob longer than anyone!

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 10:40 GMT 

arthurprecarious wrote:
Didn't Stu leave and then return. Billy Burnette was only in for one leg I think. Also Kenny Arronson quit because of poor health was allegedly told after his health picked up he could return to the first NET band. Bob was supposed to have refused to let him back in and is reputed to have said "I don't give a shit who plays the bass" before hiring Tony to play the bass with him who has now played with Bob longer than anyone!

Leaving mid-tour is a rarity. From Duke's post I don't think it is too much of a stretch to infer a major falling out has occurred. If Charlie is back on a permanent basis, and not just covering for this leg of the tour, it may also suggest it was not his idea to leave in the first place.
I'm sure the Dylan gig is prestigious in many ways; money, reputation, you get to travel the world and so forth but creativity really isn't one of them. It really doesn't matter who plays guitar in Dylan's band because, with very few exceptions; G.E Smith in the early days, and Freddy Koella later on, they are never allowed to put their own stamp on the sound anyway.
In any case we only really have Duke's cryptic fb posts to go on. It is doubtful we will hear Dylan's side of the story. Maybe just an appointment that never panned out. It happens.

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 10:51 GMT 
Promethium Member

bobfan wrote:
Leaving mid-tour is a rarity. From Duke's post I don't think it is too much of a stretch to infer a major falling out has occurred. If Charlie is back on a permanent basis, and not just covering for this leg of the tour, it may also suggest it was not his idea to leave in the first place.
I'm sure the Dylan gig is prestigious in many ways; money, reputation, you get to travel the world and so forth but creativity really isn't one of them. It really doesn't matter who plays guitar in Dylan's band because, with very few exceptions; G.E Smith in the early days, and Freddy Koella later on, they are never allowed to put their own stamp on the sound anyway.
In any case we only really have Duke's cryptic fb posts to go on. It is doubtful we will hear Dylan's side of the story. Maybe just an appointment that never panned out. It happens.

Leaving mid-tour is rare but the Billy Burnette episode included cancelling shows in Japan, if I remember it correctly. If Charlie is temporary... holding down the fort until Bob finds a replacement... Hm-m-m-m

We all know Bob has a way of finding people off the radar and I know a certain unknown guitarist who would quit his job today if Bob called and said he needed me...

Oops... um, I mean, him. :oops:

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 11:08 GMT 

That Billy Burnette/Cancelled JP shows thing is a total myth/urban legend. There was talk of adding JP shows after Australia in 2003, but those were never officially confirmed.

I don't think Billy was really fired, it's just that his contract wasn't renewed after he didn't pass the "audition" that was the Oz tour. With the Duke he certainly passed the Spring tour "audition" or else it would have been Charlie or someone else in WPB already.

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 11:11 GMT 
Promethium Member

Just read a copy of Duke's post from Facebook posted elsewhere... and it appears that the situation may have developed somewhat unexpectedly for him afterall. If his role was conceived as temporary... well, it was less temporary than previously planned.

I love the work he did and will miss his contributions a lot. The world and the Never Ending Tour will move on.

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 11:48 GMT 
Promethium Member

Like A Thin Man - from Memphis LIVE SET thread wrote:
*Duke Robillard is on tour with Bob Dylan June 26 - August 4th*

From Duke's website: http://www.rosebudus.com/robillard/tourdates.html

If this change is permanent, it was definitely unplanned.

JUNE 2013: Duke Robillard & Rosebud Artists Nominated For Thirteen 2013 Living Blues Awards - Vote Now

Rosebud artists have been honored with an impressive total of thirteen nominations for the 2013 Living Blues Awards presented by Living Blues Magazine.

Marcia Ball and Charlie Musselwhite were each nominated for awards for Blues Artist of the Year and Most Outstanding Musician (for their respective instruments). Marcia has won both of these categories three times since 2009 with additional wins for Most Outstanding Musician in 2007 and 2008, and Charlie has won the Most Outstanding Musician category a total of nine times.

Also nominated for Most Outstanding Musician this year were Jon Cleary, Duke Robillard, and James Cotton for keyboard, guitar, and harmonica, respectively, while Mavis Staples was nominated for Most Outstanding Blues Singer.

Ruthie Foster scored two nominations for Blues Artist of the Year (her third year in a row) and for Best Blues Album of 2012 for her 2013 Grammy-nominated album, Let It Burn. Bettye LaVette garnered a nomination in the Best Blues Book of 2012 category for her tell-all, unapologetic biography with David Ritz, A Woman Like Me.

Elvin Bishop was nominated for Best Blues DVD of 2012 for That's My Thing, and Muddy Waters, a Rosebud artist until his passing, was nominated in the same category for his collaboration with The Rolling Stones, Live at the Checkerboard Lounge 1981. Live at the Checkerboard Lounge 1981 also features Stones drummer Charlie Watts who Rosebud represents for his rare jazz performances.

Voting is now open to the public until July 15, 2013. Please vote at livingblues.com.

Congrats to all of the nominees!

http://www.rosebudus.com/robillard/news.html

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 12:07 GMT 

Don't know if anyone else agrees but.....respect Robillard, respect to you if all this speculation is correct and you were tired of being stifled.

Bob's a legend, and we'd all give our left foot to play with him and his band, but if you're not happy why stick with it for the sake of money, experience etc.

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 12:09 GMT 

bobfan wrote:
Even the much vaunted years of 1999-2002 when Bob was employing such stellar players as Larry Campbell and Charlie Sexton many tunes were ruined by Bob's notorious three note solos. The only thing that has changed since then is that Bob now plunks them out on the piano/keyboard.

I really get into those 3 note solos when I'm drunk! Leave 'em alone :P

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 12:15 GMT 
Promethium Member

Cipher_Pipe wrote:
Not Mark Knopfler, if we may.

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 12:18 GMT 
Promethium Member

Yes, ready for something new now that this news from last night in Memphis is behind us...

Quote:
The big news was Charlie Sexton back on guitar, replacing recent addition Duke Robillard in Dylan's band, and an unexpected appearance by John Prine, performing his song “All The Best” with My Morning Jacket.

Robillard had the following messages posted on his Facebook page on Sunday:
I will be selling a lot of guitars and amps soon. I'll keep you posted ......

The first one has since been deleted, and the below messages were among the messages posted since:
Geez folks Thanks! No emergency situation. I simply have too much stuff and want to un-complicate my life. Thanks for the sincerely helpful suggestions though. That's really nice of you all. Give me a little time to go through everything. (Yesterday)
I'm a lucky guy, I have to say humbly, I have the greatest wife a man could have. Lucky me! (Today)

What this all means is anybody's guess, but in any case, the Duke is gone, and Charlie is back. At least for now.

http://www.examiner.com/article/dylan-memphis-sexton-replaces-duke-john-prine-guests-with-my-morning-jacket

Oneofusmustknow wrote:
Don't know if anyone else agrees but.....respect Robillard, respect to you if all this speculation is correct and you were tired of being stifled.

Bob's a legend, and we'd all give our left foot to play with him and his band, but if you're not happy why stick with it for the sake of money, experience etc.

Yup, nuthin' but respect for the Duke from over here.
I am honored to have witnessed Duke join Bob for a few live experiences this past Spring. Some of the finest Bob shows I've attended in a looonnnnnggg while.

Thank You Duke Robillard!

Your musical contributions made for a nice Spring tour...

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 12:34 GMT 

trevgibb wrote:
Dylan is a classic socio-path, he does not know how to talk to people or how to explain what he wants. he expects people to read his mind and gets frustrated when they can't.

I think you're essentially correct, although I'm not sure if "sociopathy" is the best word for what you're describing. I think it is better understood as mild autism.

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 12:43 GMT 

Really? Charlie? Again?

Sonovabitch.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 940 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 38  Next