Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat November 18th, 2017, 21:22 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 993 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 40  Next
 Post subject: Re: Best Brews on Tour
PostPosted: Thu September 10th, 2015, 23:58 GMT 
Promethium Member

Yeah, that's a bit much.
Buying shots of beer just doesn't jive.
Gimme a good ole Pint.
And then several more...

PostPosted: Wed September 30th, 2015, 15:24 GMT 
Promethium Member

Anyhow, Norwegian Beer. Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Thu October 1st, 2015, 17:31 GMT 
Titanium Member

I like to approximate in a globally world;

this seems like as good a door as any through which to enter
the Church of Bob Dylan and its service tonight.

a sipper, good for the long run, etc.
(and Llittle Llama llikes the llions).

PostPosted: Thu October 1st, 2015, 17:51 GMT 
Promethium Member

Good to see you again, Llama.

PostPosted: Thu October 1st, 2015, 19:34 GMT 
Titanium Member

You as well, BF!

PostPosted: Thu October 1st, 2015, 21:04 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
Yeah, that's a bit much.
Buying shots of beer just doesn't jive.
Gimme a good ole Pint.
And then several more...

And then several more again. :D

PostPosted: Fri October 2nd, 2015, 20:27 GMT 

Location: By the waterfront docks, where the sailors all come in
A Merry Llama wrote:
(and Llittle Llama llikes the llions).

Keep him away from the llagers!

PostPosted: Sat October 3rd, 2015, 01:21 GMT 
Titanium Member

:lol:

PostPosted: Sat October 3rd, 2015, 18:05 GMT 
Titanium Member

Not sure what the Light/Dark ratio is in Oslo this time of year,
but here's a little Sunshine I'm sending their way:

PostPosted: Sun October 4th, 2015, 19:51 GMT 

A little late but Norway has many good brews. Nøgne and Lervig are probably two of the most known.

Whatever you do, do not google Nøgne. I did the mistake for you. :)

And here is Lervig. I like them much as well. Modern in its style, crisp and nice.

PostPosted: Wed October 7th, 2015, 12:10 GMT 
Promethium Member

Best Brews on Tour
Frederiksberg, Denmark - 2015 Shows #53 & #54

Beer Guide: København (Copenhagen), Denmark

Breweries:
Mikkeller ApS - Vesterbrogade 20, København
Beer Here - Halmtorvet 29C, 3th, København
Bryggeriet Djævlebryg ApS - Østerbrogade 156, 3. Tv., København
Nørrebro Bryghus - Ryesgade 3, København
Xbeeriment I/S - Højmosevej 42, København
MAD Beer - Vesterbrogade 20, 1 .th., København
Carlsberg Danmark A/S - Vesterfælledvej 100, København
WarPigs Brewpub - Flæsketorvet 25, København
Tuborgs Bryggerier A/S - Vesterfælledvej 100, København
Gypsy Inc. - Vesterbrogade 20, 1. Th, København
Stronzo Brewing Co. - Nørrebrogade 68a 4tv, København
BrewPub København - Vestergade 29, København
Rocket Brewing Co. - Gammel Kongevej 3 B, København
Croocked Moon Brewing - Johan Kellers Vej 20 3.th., København
Flying Couch Brewing - Frimestervej 22, København
Carlsberg Breweries A/S - Ny Carlsberg Vej 100, København

http://www.beeradvocate.com/place/city/81/

If you are a local, or have better than web-knowledge, please sanctify this list.
Corrections and suggestions highly welcome to help guide beer-loving Bobcats to another joint.

PostPosted: Wed October 7th, 2015, 12:44 GMT 

Concurrent with the tour hitting Sweden, Oskar Blues tweets that their Old Chub won the Bronze medal at the Stockholm Beer Festival. Coincidence? I think not!
Attachment:
oc.png

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat October 10th, 2015, 19:21 GMT 
Titanium Member

well if that's not , it's certainly more than a coincidence
that I was just about to post this recommendation to the drinklist,
before I even saw your post. great minds, great drinkers, as they say.

I thought it pairs perfectly with the New Set,
both of a classic taste paradigm

PostPosted: Wed October 14th, 2015, 22:35 GMT 

They'd go great with a braunschweiger on a bulkie roll with mustard and onion, that's for sure.

PostPosted: Tue October 20th, 2015, 11:39 GMT 

Right folks, a bit of intro stuff London - if you would like any more detailed info, feel free to grab me at any of the shows. This is all 'spur of the moment' stuff, so I might add to this list later, if I remember a particularly inexcusable omission.

A few terms to explain:
  • Taster - this is a small sample of a beer to help you determine whether you'd like it. Most pubs will give you a taster if you ask and tasters are free
  • Cask - traditional beer dispense method in the UK. Casks have live yeast in them, so once tapped (opened) only last 3-4 days. A cask will generally be poured using a mechanic 'hand pump', which the bar staff have to 'pull' in order to get the beer out (to be distinguished from below). The beer is generally room temperature and with very little carbonation
  • Keg - this is a more modern dispense method without yeast in the barrel. This is what you find with Guinness, Stella etc. although you can find some great beers served on keg as well. The bar staff will 'flick on' a switch and beer comes out. The beer is usually cooler (around 4 degrees) and comes out fizzy

Best pubs for beer:

• Euston Tap (nearest tube - Euston) - some 30 lines of keg and cask beer, plus an impressive bottled selection; main focus is 'progressive' craft, i.e. hop bombs, barrel aged, odd styles
  • Bree Louise (Euston) - traditional pub, one of the very few pubs to serve ale straight from the barrel ('gravity fed') - usually at least 4-5 beers are served this way; focus is traditional ale
  • Craft Beer Co (locations near Farringdon, Angel, Tottenham Court Road, Brixton) - started small, now a bit of a chain of heavily craft beer-oriented pubs; similar in selection to Euston Tap
  • Southampton Arms (Kentish Town) - a fantastic little pub with some 8 ales on (some 'progressive' ones but generally more traditional), a few ciders, a usually excellent atmosphere and an oft-played piano. A haunt for media people, but very rarely does it get pretentious. Get there early if you want a seat. Cash only
  • Mother Kelly's (Bethnal Green) - located under a railway arch, MK is keg-only and has a ridiculous collection of bottles as well. A bit on the pricey side, but a good choice if you're in the area
  • BrewDog bars (Camden Town, Shepherd's Bush, Shoreditch etc.) - loads of them around now; mostly BrewDog beers but each will have a few guest beers on
  • Harp, Covent Garden (Charing Cross) - a bit of a legend; a central London staple with a large selection of cask ales. Tiny, always full and this means it's a good place for a pint. And one of the few central pubs where you'll find more locals than tourists (so... I guess stay away?)
  • The Rake (London Bridge) - London's original craft beer bar. Perhaps surpassed by others now, but still well-worth seeking out if in the area
  • Bermondsey Beer Mile - Saturday mornings only. Crawl through Bermondsey and visit the various new craft breweries around, including Partizan, Anspach & Hobday, Brew By Numbers. They're all around markets, so it's a really good laugh, but please do finish early in order to sober up prior to the show

There is obviously an ever-increasing amount of pubs serving good beer around, but these are solid starting points, I feel. You have places like the Draft House chain, Lyric in Soho, Holborn Whippet and so forth, but I feel that in terms of beer, these are a par below the above. There are also Wetherspoon pubs, but these are quite divisive (although I enjoy them) and, furthermore, one must know which are the good ones and which are not (beer quality can vary immensely). If seeking out a 'Spoons, don't miss out the Crosse Keys by Bank, which is a proper Beer Cathedral.

Best pubs for atmosphere:

• Sam Smith's pubs (all around the place) - Sam Smith's don't believe in an online presence, but they are well-worth seeking out. They usually buy up the prettiest pubs in London (Cittie of York in Holborn being a prime example) and serve only their own products. Draught beer is a bit hit and miss (usually 'miss') but the bottled beers are mostly excellent. Try to catch a riverside Sam Smith's if the day is nice
  • Pride Of Spitalfields (Aldgate East) - my favourite pub in London, period. You walk through the door and you are in 1970s East London. Characters abound and the best ESB I've had the pleasure to have. Not to everybody's taste, I admit, but if you want to experience what a 'proper East End boozer' used to be like, this is the place
  • Churchill Arms (Notting Hill Gate) - just look at it: http://www.churchillarmskensington.co.uk/. Lovely place, although crowd can be a bit stuffy depending on the time of day
  • Riverside pubs of London - plenty here: Ian McKellen's Grapes, Prospect Of Whitby (comes with its own gallows at the back), the Ship in Wandsworth and so forth. Beer selection varies, but even a shit pint is glorious on a sunny day on the river
  • Ye Olde Mitre (Chancery Lane) - supposedly the oldest pub in London, YOM is really the world's tiniest maze, what with its separate bars, a confusing outside space and odd approach. It's quite tricky to find, but it's a very atmospheric place, despite the mostly suited clientèle. Closed on the weekends
  • Spaniard's Inn (Hampstead) - Dick Turpin's old hangout, the pub is in every tourist guide for London. And whilst it is a lovely building, the beer selection and crowd is what you'd expect from a tourist destination in one of London's most expensive areas. If you've had enough, walk 15 minutes to Highgate, where you'll find the Flask, an expensive but incredibly atmospheric joint (used to be Karl Marx's local) or 15 minutes the other way to Hampstead proper, where you'll find the Duke Of Hamilton, possibly the last true 'locals' pub' in Hampstead.

Again, there's more to be enjoyed here and, really, the most atomspheric pubs are the ones you just stumble upon and enjoy. I can go into more detail, however, I should note that my areas of familiarity are North, Central and East London - anything West or South and I get a bit patchy.

Best breweries from London:

• Beavertown - probably the best brewery in London. Usually very full-flavour, so always ask for a taster before buying a pint
  • Weird Beard - not all is great, but usually an enjoyable pint
  • Redemption - certainly on the traditional side of UK brewing, but if you enjoy that sort of thing, Redemption is a great option (personally I enjoy them very much)
  • Fuller's - a very big brewery, but ESB and Bengal Lancer are excellent pints. London Pride is a London staple. Avoid Chiswick Bitter, Discovery, Wild River
  • Anspach & Hobday - a new one, funded by Kickstarter. Again, not all is great, but the smoked brown in bottle is great (less so in keg)
  • Brew By Numbers - possibly second to Beavertown in quality. You can't really go wrong here
  • Kernel - some call it the best brewery in London, however, this is because their IPAs and high ABV pale ales are out of this world. The rest is mediocre, but if you want a truly supreme IPA, go Kernel
  • Partizan - what Kernel are to IPAs, Partizan are to saisons

The rest are hit and miss (some are best avoided - looking at you Portobello) - always ask for a taster before buying a full pint.

Best breweries from UK:

• Dark Star - simply superb. American Pale Ale and Revelation are the 'must haves' but anything from Dark Star (on cask, not necessarily keg) is going to be good
  • Thornbridge - the mother of craft beer in the UK. They employ bloody scientists to brew beer and it shows. Thornbridge Jaipur on cask is dreamy, but most of their selection is good (sometimes it can get a bit too experimental)
  • Magic Rock - what Dark Star are to cask ale, Magic Rock are to keg, although they do cask as well. Very full-on beers, do ask for tasters
  • Siren - the new king of UK breweries, Siren have really raised the game and produce some of the finest beers at the moment. Again, anything is going to be good (if you like the style). Their Limoncello Whisky Sour is one of my favourite beers, but it can get pricey (bottle only)
  • Harviestoun - Scottish brewery. Decent, but their Ola Dubh bottle range is their crown jewel - whisky-aged porters. Seek out the 12 and 18 in particular - the rest are enjoyable but these two are the best
  • Buxton - in the same sort of spirit as Dark Star and Siren, you can rarely go wrong here, although Buxton focus more on traditional styles. Worth a try, either way
  • Tiny Rebel - Welsh Magic Rock, really

This is the sort of list one could keep on adding to indefinitely and it particularly under-represents traditional breweries. People like Adnams, St Austell, Windsor & Eton do some excellent stuff, but they also have some true howlers. I was considering recommending particular beers, but this is so subjective that I wouldn't want to lead anyone astray.

The best approach is, if going to a beer pub, ask the staff for recommendations (most of the beer pubs above will have very knowledgeable staff) and then ask for a taster - this is the best way to discover what you like (some pubs even do taster trays, but these cost money). Once you find it, you can use the beers you like as examples, so the staff elsewhere can give you better recommendations. But, as I said, if you don't know the beer you're getting, always ask for a taster. And even if you do know the beer - some pubs don't keep beer well (there's a whole essay to be written here, but generally, cask ale will go off after 3-4 days once tapped). Hopefully you shouldn't have this experience in the pubs listed above.

And most importantly, enjoy!

PostPosted: Wed October 21st, 2015, 01:05 GMT 
Promethium Member

Excellent and inspirational research & suggestions here, Pipe!
Well done! Enjoy!

PostPosted: Tue October 27th, 2015, 18:52 GMT 
Titanium Member

I began the London Residence yesterday - thus I have this exceptional brew:

a notably impressive 7% abv - hard to achieve in dark ales that aren't Imperial. as the weather has turned,
reaching for the IPA is just passe. beautiful label. It's surely Bob or Dickens in the top hat, I cannot tell.

while reading the reviews by attendees, I feel like Bob deserves this one to be lifted in his honor:

this beer is also the specially/ignorantly priced deal of the week at the local 7-eleven.
and it's the best season for the Scotch Ales

PostPosted: Wed October 28th, 2015, 10:37 GMT 
Promethium Member

Manchester has a few good pubs if I recall correctly.

PostPosted: Fri October 30th, 2015, 22:41 GMT 

Belgium coming up. Something about the Belgians....they don't travel all that well, in my opinion, so I tend to stick to the American varieties that devote themselves to Belgian yeast. I like Allagash and Ommegang in particular.

Maybe I will open myself a corked bottle of Oaked Allagash Curieaux and reflect that it was 40 years ago today that Bob and Joan and Ratso checked into the local Sea Crest motel to rehearse for the RTR.

PostPosted: Sat October 31st, 2015, 11:40 GMT 
Promethium Member

They were probably drinking Nastygansetts back in those days, Cod.
Talls though.

PostPosted: Sat October 31st, 2015, 14:11 GMT 

Attachment:
caps.png
^Joanie was pissah at solving the rebuses under the bottle caps, or so I have heard

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun November 1st, 2015, 01:03 GMT 
Promethium Member

What's the first one?

PostPosted: Tue November 10th, 2015, 08:10 GMT 

Like almost every bavarian town, Regensburg (founded two thousand years ago by the Romans, one of the oldest cities north of the Alps) has its share of great breweries with a long history. The Thurn-und Taxis brewery comes to mind. But my favourite comes from 20 miles away from Regensburg: the Weltenburger Klosterbrauerei. The oldest monastery brewery in the world, founded in 1050. Highly recommended: the Barock Dunkel.
Attachment:
weltenburg1.jpg

It won the world beer cup gold award three times in a row. Thinking about it...I didn't even know that such a championship exists. And I wonder: how can I become judge at such a competition?

PostPosted: Tue November 10th, 2015, 17:26 GMT 
Titanium Member

Johanna Parker wrote:
Anyway, what are the best brews in Düsseldorf? Have to stock up for the aftershow party.

Four out of the five of the world highest rated Altbiers originate in Dusseldorf , so a reach for any of them couldn't be a bad move. 'Specially since they are weather appropriate and enjoyable at nearly every drinking temperature (except for ice cold since you wouldn't want to hinder their flavor.)

http://www.ratebeer.com/Ratings/TopBeer ... ?StyleID=2

I'm probably an 1838er myself.
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/schumacher-1838er/211568/

PostPosted: Tue November 10th, 2015, 19:23 GMT 
Titanium Member

This doozy is in order for those doozies over there:

(Also pictured: a glass , a plate , and antelope)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 993 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 40  Next