Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat December 16th, 2017, 16:54 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 646 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
PostPosted: Sat April 6th, 2013, 09:10 GMT 

doomedtoloveyou wrote:
I feel so bad that our European Friends are having to stay up waaay past their bedtimes! Thank you for hanging in there!
(lucky BABF!!)

could not stay so long - but really enjoy totally now! :D

PostPosted: Sat April 6th, 2013, 09:14 GMT 

Woohoo , something is happening here !!! :)

PostPosted: Sat April 6th, 2013, 09:15 GMT 

This setlist is a dream! Thanks to all of you involved in bringing us the news. I knew Duke would be a great addition :)

PostPosted: Sat April 6th, 2013, 09:39 GMT 

Wow, that's a really interesting setlist. Looking forward to all the other shows--and then hopefully Europe! It think it's gonna be a great tour.

PostPosted: Sat April 6th, 2013, 10:16 GMT 

Well I really had to go to bed at 2 am UK time as I had to get up and take my brother to the airport! What a great setlist to wake up to though (and amazing Pool scores for moi!) I can't wait to hear a full recording and will follow this tour more closely than the last one. Maybe we'll even get 'One More Cup of Coffee' now and finally 'Born in Time'. We can always hope, as the man said 'Things Have Changed'.

There seems to be little mention of Charlie around here, I wish him all the best and hope to see news of his future endeavours. That Youtube clip of him at Montreux that someone linked from here was most enjoyable.

PostPosted: Sat April 6th, 2013, 10:19 GMT 

'What good am I?' nice to see, but everything else is taken from the standard repertoire.

Funny how Bob can provoke such excitement not by a change of repertoire, but by changing the order of songs in that repertoire.

McTell clip: The harp is dreadful...No miracles have happened with the voice, but the phrasing is nice.

Perhaps the most significant change other than Duke is that George seems to be using brushes most of the time. Will be interesting to hear how that affects things.

PostPosted: Sat April 6th, 2013, 10:34 GMT 

likeatrain wrote:
'
Funny how Bob can provoke such excitement not by a change of repertoire, but by changing the order of songs in that repertoire.

Perhaps 4 Tempest songs in one show. Otherwise I cannot understand this big excitement. Everything as usual just the order. And Duke.-- we will see. At least it's a good choice to stop the boring Charlie playing.
LARS and BITW -- good god hopefully he skips them whole year. Skipping these is even better than a new guitarist but I feanext shows they reappear

PostPosted: Sat April 6th, 2013, 10:37 GMT 

Three reasons for a realy great PARTY!!!

Charlie, LARS and BITW are out!!!!!

Sadly the last two will come again!

PostPosted: Sat April 6th, 2013, 10:42 GMT 

likeatrain wrote:
'What good am I?' nice to see, but everything else is taken from the standard repertoire.

McTell clip: The harp is dreadful...No miracles have happened with the voice, but the phrasing is nice.

Perhaps the most significant change other than Duke is that George seems to be using brushes most of the time. Will be interesting to hear how that affects things.

It's not just the order of what he's playing, its what he is not playing as well! No LARS for the first time in 4 years (or so), no Watchtower or BITW, no Classic Bluesy song on the organ as the opener (Leopard Skin, Rainy Day, River Flow etc) and no classic 60's acoustic song in the second spot (Don't Think Twice, Ain't Me Babe, North Country etc)

Add to that 4 Tempest songs (almost half the album, compared to 1/2 near the very end of the last tour) and the show can start to feel revitalized again...if you go into a show expecting a blues opening, followed by a classic 60's song then THC and TUIB and instead get THC as the opener several modern songs (including songs from Tempest which haven't even been played 10 times live yet) and only get TUIB in the 6th slot, thats enough of a shake up from routine to warrant abit of excitement!

PostPosted: Sat April 6th, 2013, 10:53 GMT 

graric wrote:
It's not just the order of what he's playing, its what he is not playing as well! No LARS for the first time in 4 years (or so), no Watchtower or BITW, no Classic Bluesy song on the organ as the opener (Leopard Skin, Rainy Day, River Flow etc) and no classic 60's acoustic song in the second spot (Don't Think Twice, Ain't Me Babe, North Country etc)

Classic Blues songs: You ain't going nowhere. I'll be your baby
BTW THC is a Blues song!
Classic 60's acoustic songs: Man in me, senor, Man in the long blackcoat, etc...
VERY INTERESTING

graric wrote:
Add to that 4 Tempest songs (almost half the album, compared to 1/2 near the very end of the last tour) and the show can start to feel revitalized again...if you go into a show expecting a blues opening, followed by a classic 60's song then THC and TUIB and instead get THC as the opener several modern songs (including songs from Tempest which haven't even been played 10 times live yet) and only get TUIB in the 6th slot, thats enough of a shake up from routine to warrant abit of excitement!

What good am I is a little surprise.
And I mentioned the 4 tempest songs to be the only ones to get a little exited. The other songs are apart from the order just routine and mostly overplayed last years.

PostPosted: Sat April 6th, 2013, 10:56 GMT 

graric wrote:

That's true, but it's also testament to how bored people were getting with the old format year after year. It shows how engrained that format had become: 'Tangled' getting moved forward two places is cause for excitement! The opener isn't a major key blues, but a minor key blues that he's played every night for ages! Instead of playing the organ on one song, he played it on zero songs! Instead of one corpulent guitarist on stage, there are two! (just joking, fellas!)

I agree that a structural change to the set is welcome, and the placement of songs in a set can of course change the experience of a show quite considerably, but in the cold light of day it looks like this: Bob has shuffled the cards a bit, but he's still playing the same old cards.

PostPosted: Sat April 6th, 2013, 11:05 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
goodnitesteve wrote:
Anything new in the gift shop?

Yes, you now need to Pay In Blood.

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat April 6th, 2013, 11:07 GMT 

Thank you for the reports.
Nice set list full of strong songs.
Nice to know about Bob voice and mood.

PostPosted: Sat April 6th, 2013, 11:08 GMT 

Nice innovation - the front page links to page 9

edit: Whoa, this is a different kind of set list.

Off to page 9 we go

PostPosted: Sat April 6th, 2013, 11:14 GMT 

Isis_ wrote:
What a bunch of bastards "tweeting" i would give all i have to be watching him right now, poor bob. Bastards
:o LOL!

PostPosted: Sat April 6th, 2013, 11:33 GMT 

Mez wrote:
Barefoot your avatar is "freaking me out".... Like a supreme "eye", of sorts or maybe it just my buzz lemme check again..... MEZ
Barefoot I love "quotatives that endeavour to infer a relationship to the use of a colloquial."

PostPosted: Sat April 6th, 2013, 11:33 GMT 

Nosferatu wrote:
graric wrote:

Classic Blues songs: You ain't going nowhere. I'll be your baby
BTW THC is a Blues song!
Classic 60's acoustic songs: Man in me, senor, Man in the long blackcoat, etc...
VERY INTERESTING

graric wrote:

What good am I is a little surprise.
And I mentioned the 4 tempest songs to be the only ones to get a little exited. The other songs are apart from the order just routine and mostly overplayed last years.

Yes THC is a Blues song but it is still, relatively speaking, a recentish song (while the opening songs he has been using for the last 3 years have tended to be around 40 years old or so, with the obvious exception of GCMoT.) Towards the end of the last tour he had moved across to country openers, but still on the Organ (except for a couple of shows on guitar...which were considered special at the time) which is why Bob starting the show centre-stage with a song that has been in the 3rd slot for most of the last 2 years feels like a big switch up! (It also means that if he alternates songs for the opening, and doesn't revert THC back to its spot next to TUIB the door is open for more variety in the setlist.)

Yes the second slot isn't always a classic 60's song, but 8 or 9 times out of 10 those are the songs he will use in the slot. Even songs like Senor and Man In Me (neither of which have been played that frequently in the second slot in the last 2 years) are fairly well known by the casual audience (MILBC less so), and the first two songs have for awhile now tended to be the type of songs that the casual fan who owns the Greatest Hits/ HW61/ BoB will be able to pick up on!

THC and Love Sick as the opening two isn't a combination that the casual fans will pick up on, they are still well known songs but they are the type of songs only people who really listen to Dylan will know about! The average setlist for the last two years would have 2 songs from the 60's in the first 5 slots and one from the 70's (with slots 3 and 5 being more likely to be taken up by more recent material, almost as if the audience was being eased into it)...in last nights show the first five slots were all songs from Time out of Mind onwards...they may not be particular rarities for us but just the fact that he may have stopped opening the set with 60's songs that are very well known suggests that he may be doing more experimenting later on down the road.

We will see how close tomorrows nights set is to this one, but remember by the end of last year most fans had come to more or less accept that Bob had stopped playing around with the setlist in any great detail...sticking to a basic framework with certain songs reserved for certain slots and a very occasional rarity. Tonights setlist has more or less completely thrown out that framework, even if it is using most of the same songs, and had a rarity as well! A very good start to the year.

PostPosted: Sat April 6th, 2013, 11:49 GMT 

Not to step on anyone's toes, but Duke's performance last night was very uneven and his soloing often went nowhere (granted, it was his first night out). Such was the case during Thunder. Bob granted him an extended solo and after a promising start, it devolved into something so mundane and boring that you might have thought he switched to rhythm duties. And it went ON and ON. This is when Bob leaned over the piano and watched him for a few minutes, laughing toward Donnie and kind bobbing his head a little. I took it to be sarcastic. The solo was awful. I

Duke did play a few nice solos, but for the most part he was drowning. It looked like he was reading the chords to Thin Man off of a sheet of paper on the drum riser throughout the entire song.

However, Duke's guitar tones were quite enjoyable and his playing on Visions had a lovely bell-like quality that recalled some of Bob's 60s stuff like Love Minus Zero. Who knows, with more practice he could be one of the greats. Last night, though, he gave the impression that there was no rehearsal, or, rather, that it was one of them "in-show rehearsals"

PostPosted: Sat April 6th, 2013, 11:59 GMT 
Promethium Member

rbgeorge wrote:
Not to step on anyone's toes, but Duke's performance last night was very uneven and his soloing often went nowhere (granted, it was his first night out). Such was the case during Thunder. Bob granted him an extended solo and after a promising start, it devolved into something so mundane and boring that you might have thought he switched to rhythm duties. And it went ON and ON. This is when Bob leaned over the piano and watched him for a few minutes, laughing toward Donnie and kind bobbing his head a little. I took it to be sarcastic. The solo was awful. I

Duke did play a few nice solos, but for the most part he was drowning. It looked like he was reading the chords to Thin Man off of a sheet of paper on the drum riser throughout the entire song.

However, Duke's guitar tones were quite enjoyable and his playing on Visions had a lovely bell-like quality that recalled some of Bob's 60s stuff like Love Minus Zero. Who knows, with more practice he could be one of the greats. Last night, though, he gave the impression that there was no rehearsal, or, rather, that it was one of them "in-show rehearsals"

Those are sometimes the best. Bob likes to live and perform in-the-moment, so it makes sense.
Sounds effing awesome to me! But I wasn't in the room.

PostPosted: Sat April 6th, 2013, 12:02 GMT 
Promethium Member

frightsky wrote:
Hi folks,

I'm a new member here, but having just gotten back home to Toronto from the Buffalo show, not ready to go to bed, having a beer, I thought I'd post a few remarks on the show tonight. It was magnificent. When the lights when on at the end I felt stunned and deeply satisfied (so much so I had to bum a smoke on the way out). I don't believe I was anywhere near the only one feeling this way. At least where I was standing (about ten feet from the rail) the audience was very responsive. Bob's voice was just terrific--warm, affective, communicative. He did not touch a guitar or the organ. Even the harp he didn't touch until - I think - tangled, but the crowd of course loved it when he did. And after that he was with it a lot, and to really beautiful effect, playing off Duke and vice versa. There were three mirrors--didn't bother me in the slightest. He said not a single word (no "thank you friends!). Who cares. He didn't bring the band up to stand a bow. Twice - after H61 and after Ballad of a TM - he stood by the mike and sort of extended his arm. It was most dignified and appropriate. He certainly has changed his approach with the musicians. By the time I saw him in TO last November he had chased them all to the left side of the stage with his piano--I loved the show no less for that, mind you. But this time around Duke had a fair bit of liberty--with Bob even, as someone else mentioned, sort of laying his arms on the top of his piano and listening during Thunder. (Although at the time, from his expression, I wasn't altogether sure he wasn't regarding Duke's extended solo somewhat sardonically, though that may not be the case. He shared some sort of joke with Donnie--kept turning to him and laughing and then even went right over and said something to him in the middle of Duke's solo.) Of course What Good Am I was a dream--though I got a bit distracted by having to ask a drunken monkey to quieten down. Tangled was really special. Reworked in a really restrained way, so that there was this wonderful tension between the natural forward movement of the song and his holding it back with the key he was singing in. In Pay in Blood, also, he reigned in it's forward movement -- at first it was not even recognizable. Wonderful though. No complaints at all. I did miss Charlie's subtle elaborations, but Duke's solos were really nice. Donnie was more forward again. His banjo appeared to not be properly plugged in at the start of HW, but then he got it going. Nice on Blind Willie too. Beautiful poster too--no image of Bob on it. Just bold font against a grainy black and white of tree trunks (small print titles it "spring forward"). All and all a great, great show. Can't wait for California next weekend!

FrightSky! Welcome to The Evenin's Empire (as jc likes to say) ...
Thanks so much for the Field Report. We really appreciate it!

PostPosted: Sat April 6th, 2013, 12:12 GMT 
Promethium Member

Sweet Melinda wrote:
also...

dawes are really good, great harmonies, i'll see them again for sure.

back to bob.... it sure it nice watching 6 guys who all are happy and enjoying themselves. bye charlie. I like the new guy. I never like the new guy. but I like this guy.

did I mention what good am I? it was a saving grace holy crap moment. and awesome and perfect.

a young buffalo girl in line said dang a lot. I should say dang. it's much more endearing that my usual words. not sure I could pull it off though.

I should brush my teeth. meh. dang it.

whoever said the mirrors are gone is wrong. there were 3 of them with the same dang fingerprints as last year. one on the left on the stage leaning up on an amp, same with towards centre, and one raised on a guitar stand in front of the piano which was really a nuisance.

he never played keyboards once. good.

thin man on piano with no echo. kinda lame ass chopsticks piano playing for a bit but decent overall.

ummmmm. goodnight.

Dang it, Sweets! Sounds like a rockin' good time. Yeah, What Good Am I is my highlight too and I didn't even experience it beyond this thread. Ha! May the positive energy of the missing Thin Man echo transform into inspiration for your very own Echo!

PostPosted: Sat April 6th, 2013, 12:14 GMT 

Another thing...for most of the piano songs, Bob played standing up.

PostPosted: Sat April 6th, 2013, 12:29 GMT 
Promethium Member

Maria wrote:
I don't want to be ........................anway:

1. Duke replacing Charlie.
Probably the best change since years!

2. What good am I?
Really pleasing and good surprise

4. 4 songs of Tempest. No live debut but good start. More songs of the album will 99% follow. 4-5 songs per show might get standard

5. Things have changed as Opener
Well I don't know why but after studying the sets last decades, I'm quiet sure that it was an one off and will move to Tangled after max few shows.

6.Thunder, H61, Boatm.Nothing new same as last years, just different order. Really nothing to get exited. It might change to normal order after few shows.----or not.

7. Voice on Blind Willie sounds bad as last years.- Nothing changed there .Perhaps better on other songs.

8. No LARS! Every show without LARS is better than with LARSor BITW.

9. Chances for changes are bigger than usual but despite more Tempest songs, perhaps 1 or 2 surprises from the 2009-2012 setlist catalogue nothing will happens

10. However although all negativ points probably the best setlist since 2008.

We will see what the future brings.

P.S.: George on brushes on many songs (incl H61!) sounds interesting and softer.

Your observations are much appreciated Maria...they do come off kind of negative from a certain angle (I don't always agree with you and I admit that maybe its just me feeling protective of Bob for some obsessed reason), but I realize that I must face the reality that there are many opinions out there and that is what creates discussion. Keeping it constructive as you have.

I, for one, value your observations. You have a lot of tour knowledge and memories that help make this forum, regardless of being positive or negative.

It is the personal slams that sometimes degrade this site, and I see you hanging in there with thick skin when the bullets fly in your direction, which is admirable. So thanks.

Keep on keepin on!

PostPosted: Sat April 6th, 2013, 12:46 GMT 
Promethium Member

graric wrote:
Tonights setlist has more or less completely thrown out that framework, even if it is using most of the same songs, and had a rarity as well! A very good start to the year.

This sums it up nicely, Graric.

PostPosted: Sat April 6th, 2013, 12:52 GMT 
Promethium Member

AndoDoug wrote:
Mez wrote:
Barefoot your avatar is "freaking me out".... Like a supreme "eye", of sorts or maybe it just my buzz lemme check again..... MEZ
Barefoot I love "quotatives that endeavour to infer a relationship to the use of a colloquial."

Speaking of eyes, I hadn't heard if the Eye of Horus showed up at any time last night.
Anyone? Melinda?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 646 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next