Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu November 23rd, 2017, 11:30 GMT

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu October 4th, 2012, 02:21 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri July 15th, 2011, 02:23 GMT
Posts: 21218
Just look at these here stats from the front page. Quite impressive.


Number of Dylan concerts per year, according to Olof's Files

1960 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1968 1969 60s
36 33 19 45 67 48 2 250

1970 1971 1972 1973 1974 1975 1976 1977 1978 1979 70s
1 1 40 31 26 114 26 239

1980 1981 1982 1983 1984 1985 1986 1987 1988 1989 80s
70 54 27 60 36 71 99 417

1990 1991 1992 1993 1994 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 90s
93 101 92 80 104 116 86 94 110 119 995

2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 00s
112 106 107 98 111 113 99 98 97 98 1039

2010 2011 2012
102 89 (86) (3217)

Better to just look at the front page since they actually line up there.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu October 4th, 2012, 04:39 GMT 
Senior Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed June 6th, 2007, 20:48 GMT
Posts: 9054
Location: In the land of the midnight sun
3217 is a lot of concerts!
What's the Guinness record?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu October 4th, 2012, 17:38 GMT 

Joined: Wed February 6th, 2008, 23:05 GMT
Posts: 1471
Well, Dylan BECAME a kind of "Touring machine" in the second half of his life. He didn't even play a thousand shows in the first 25 years of his career, which is a lot less than most other high profile artists did in the 60s, 70s and 80s.

Over 3000 shows sound a lot, and it IS a lot for an artist of Dylan's status, but it's really not all that much in general terms. A lot of people playing bars and clubs play 3000 shows in 15 years, it took Dylan 50+ years to get there.

I believe B B King has played 15 000 shows and he still played more shows per year than Dylan ever has way past his 80th birthday.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu October 4th, 2012, 17:49 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue December 14th, 2010, 14:22 GMT
Posts: 43273
Location: Beneath the Southern X
Bob has said as much about BB King in an interview.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu October 4th, 2012, 18:14 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 12th, 2011, 19:16 GMT
Posts: 1343
AutodesSchreckens wrote:

I believe B B King has played 15 000 shows and he still played more shows per year than Dylan ever has way past his 80th birthday.


no matter how many shows he plays, i hope that Dylan can also work as long as B B King did, in a good shape and clear mind. that wouldl be enough for me.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri October 5th, 2012, 07:45 GMT 

Joined: Wed February 6th, 2008, 23:05 GMT
Posts: 1471
shosha wrote:
no matter how many shows he plays, i hope that Dylan can also work as long as B B King did, in a good shape and clear mind. that wouldl be enough for me.


oh, I didn't mean to say he's a lesser artist because he won't ever match BB's 15,000, cause it's obviously not about numbers at all, I was merely pointing out that 3000+ is not as much as the first couple of posters in this thread possibly thought.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri October 5th, 2012, 10:19 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri July 15th, 2011, 02:23 GMT
Posts: 21218
AutodesSchreckens wrote:
shosha wrote:
no matter how many shows he plays, i hope that Dylan can also work as long as B B King did, in a good shape and clear mind. that wouldl be enough for me.


oh, I didn't mean to say he's a lesser artist because he won't ever match BB's 15,000, cause it's obviously not about numbers at all, I was merely pointing out that 3000+ is not as much as the first couple of posters in this thread possibly thought.

The list of major artists that consistently perform and tour over such a long period is not tremendously long. BB is the man. Bill Monroe was right up there too. Chuck Berry. The Dead. Merely an observance that it is impressive. But not a contest.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri October 5th, 2012, 10:30 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Tue February 8th, 2011, 09:32 GMT
Posts: 1847
Location: The mystic garden, outside the chelsea hotel, near Montague Street...
When I seen BB King support Bob he was great, really good. I hope Bob is still alive and playing at 85, even if it does mean he has to sit down all the time.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri October 5th, 2012, 11:09 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue December 14th, 2010, 14:22 GMT
Posts: 43273
Location: Beneath the Southern X
I am very, very happy he choses still to tour. Happy and thankful. :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri October 5th, 2012, 11:17 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Tue February 8th, 2011, 09:32 GMT
Posts: 1847
Location: The mystic garden, outside the chelsea hotel, near Montague Street...
Johanna Parker wrote:
I am very, very happy he choses still to tour. Happy and thankful. :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri October 5th, 2012, 12:20 GMT 
Mercury Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed September 14th, 2011, 13:25 GMT
Posts: 12325
Location: Wherever I am welcome
Amen to that


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri October 5th, 2012, 12:34 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue December 14th, 2010, 14:22 GMT
Posts: 43273
Location: Beneath the Southern X
Today is a good day.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat October 6th, 2012, 00:02 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri July 15th, 2011, 02:23 GMT
Posts: 21218
Johanna Parker wrote:
Today is a good day.

Oh yeah! First show since the release of that new statue head album!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat October 6th, 2012, 07:04 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Wed August 22nd, 2012, 18:18 GMT
Posts: 803
Johanna Parker wrote:
I am very, very happy he choses still to tour. Happy and thankful. :)

me too :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat October 6th, 2012, 13:51 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri July 15th, 2011, 02:23 GMT
Posts: 21218
toilandblood wrote:
Johanna Parker wrote:
I am very, very happy he choses still to tour. Happy and thankful. :)

me too :)

Indeed. We are lucky people in lucky times.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat October 6th, 2012, 15:15 GMT 
Senior Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Fri March 2nd, 2007, 15:48 GMT
Posts: 3434
Location: beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free
Still Go Barefoot wrote:
Johanna Parker wrote:
Today is a good day.

Oh yeah! First show since the release of that new statue head album!



:lol: :lol: :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue August 20th, 2013, 01:39 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri July 15th, 2011, 02:23 GMT
Posts: 21218
And to the 2013 Grand Finale Leg is on deck...just in time to start buzzing about 2014.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue August 20th, 2013, 05:30 GMT 

Joined: Wed February 6th, 2008, 23:05 GMT
Posts: 1471
Seeing that there was no solid info about ANY 2013 shows until early March, I think mid-August is maybe a little early to hold your breath for 2014 shows? Unless you like your face to have a deep shade of blue of course.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue August 20th, 2013, 08:06 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri July 15th, 2011, 02:23 GMT
Posts: 21218
AutodesSchreckens wrote:
Seeing that there was no solid info about ANY 2013 shows until early March, I think mid-August is maybe a little early to hold your breath for 2014 shows? Unless you like your face to have a deep shade of blue of course.

Blue Man Group.
Can't hold back the buzz Autodesk.
Enjoy those Euroshows.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue August 20th, 2013, 23:52 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat April 18th, 2009, 21:24 GMT
Posts: 5942
poor bob, three shows at the royal albert hall in dylanologist rich london. i hope folks from here in the USA are advised of the possibility of having to be made to attend several hours worth of lectures prior and after every show. be forewarned. best bet would be to wait for Americanarama 2014. :roll:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri August 23rd, 2013, 00:47 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri July 15th, 2011, 02:23 GMT
Posts: 21218
Oslo seems like a long way off...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri August 23rd, 2013, 03:11 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat October 27th, 2007, 12:44 GMT
Posts: 16760
Location: Workin' as a postal clerk
Still Go Barefoot wrote:
Just look at these here stats from the front page. Quite impressive.


Number of Dylan concerts per year, according to Olof's Files

1960 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1968 1969 60s
36 33 19 45 67 48 2 250

1970 1971 1972 1973 1974 1975 1976 1977 1978 1979 70s
1 1 40 31 26 114 26 239

1980 1981 1982 1983 1984 1985 1986 1987 1988 1989 80s
70 54 27 60 36 71 99 417

1990 1991 1992 1993 1994 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 90s
93 101 92 80 104 116 86 94 110 119 995

2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 00s
112 106 107 98 111 113 99 98 97 98 1039

2010 2011 2012
102 89 (86) (3217)

Better to just look at the front page since they actually line up there.



It's amazing that he didn't really commit to a lifestyle on the road until 1978...and it didn't catch for good until a decade later. World Tour 1966 and Rolling Thunder 1975 were only a few weeks long, others a few months. At a certain point he found an answer to the question "Why am I here?" He was a musician, and what he did was play music for people. Despite the protests of certain contrarians, the result has immeasurably enriched his legacy.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri August 23rd, 2013, 04:26 GMT 

Joined: Wed February 6th, 2008, 23:05 GMT
Posts: 1471
Well, smoke, I think it's more than that. By the late 1980s, his kids were out of the house and a few years earlier he had stopped making once a year. I am not calling it a midlife crisis, but is life changed around that time, even if he hadn't picked up the touring habit.

Hard to say whether touring got in the way of him making more records in the 90s and 00s, but the way I see it, touring is, or at least started out mostly as a substitute for studio work. So i that way I don't find it surprising that his major touring days started in 1986, when his recording career had hit rock bottom.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri August 23rd, 2013, 11:20 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri July 15th, 2011, 02:23 GMT
Posts: 21218
Hanging out with The Dead at Club Front didn't seem to hurt things either.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri August 23rd, 2013, 11:27 GMT 
Senior Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu October 26th, 2006, 02:28 GMT
Posts: 24048
Location: I'm in Bostontown in some restaurant.
Bob's children were young when he was touring less. I'm not surprised he waited to tour more until they were older. By all accounts, he was a pretty hands-on dad.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group