Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sun May 27th, 2018, 03:39 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri July 27th, 2012, 19:11 GMT 

I havent seen too many pictures with the new layout with Bob on piano. I know he is sitting and the piano seems to be facing stage right. So where is the best spot to see Bob? Sitting stage left or stage right?

PostPosted: Fri July 27th, 2012, 19:14 GMT 
Promethium Member

I'd say center right.... he's moving a lot even though he's seated, so if you want to see that, you need to get close to where he is.

PostPosted: Fri July 27th, 2012, 19:49 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:
I'd say center right.... he's moving a lot even though he's seated, so if you want to see that, you need to get close to where he is.

I'd agree! Even a bit more to the right would work so you can see him at the piano :)

PostPosted: Fri July 27th, 2012, 21:40 GMT 

there is no good place to sit.. He is hidden behing the old circus organ in most places, he is hidden behind the oscar if you go anywhere near the centre, if you go far left he is to far away. There are places on the right where when he starts to turn and play facing the audience at 90 degrees to the piano that he will face you for a while BUT......... If you go to Lyon where the stage is really low and you are so close then you can see every expression and realise what an amazing show he puts on sometimes then it dont matter where you sit or stand..

PostPosted: Fri July 27th, 2012, 21:43 GMT 
Promethium Member

Sitting during a show never works. :P
But with the current setting, it's true that it depends on the height of the stage.... lower works so much better. I hope they'll lose or at least find a different place for the organ soon. Glad to see I wasn't the only one thinking that even the Oscar got in the way.... even the little reading light does. :|

Did you enjoy Lyon, stevieblooz?

PostPosted: Fri July 27th, 2012, 22:36 GMT 

stevieblooz wrote:
there is no good place to sit.. He is hidden behing the old circus organ in most places, he is hidden behind the oscar if you go anywhere near the centre, if you go far left he is to far away. There are places on the right where when he starts to turn and play facing the audience at 90 degrees to the piano that he will face you for a while BUT......... If you go to Lyon where the stage is really low and you are so close then you can see every expression and realise what an amazing show he puts on sometimes then it dont matter where you sit or stand..

Well, too bad he doesn't play such arenas all the time :lol: Lyon was really low, but also very much better because of it.

PostPosted: Fri July 27th, 2012, 22:58 GMT 
Promethium Member

I love low stages.... and seeing all of Bob. :wink:
At Barolo I had a real happy local girl beside me, and at one point she asked me, "Can you see his shoes?" and I couldn't, but I knew they were those real nice boots. Then a bit later my friend on my other side said, "Remember to look at his teeth.... I told you he has real nice teeth." At the same time, the lower three buttons of his jacket were undone and I was trying to see if he had a nice belt buckle. :lol:

I came out of that show thinking, we went to see rock's greatest poet, and we look at his shoes, his teeth and his belt buckle. :lol: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat July 28th, 2012, 00:17 GMT 

yeah i did. I thought lyon was the best show i had seen in a few years. BUt it was so important to see all the expressions on his face. Things have changed was amazing, was like the actor in HOF or even beans beans beans, corny, but real . Made a mockery of him not using cameras at festivals cos he is acting out the lines. Reminded me of frankie howard at one point, tongue rolling round his teeth, oooh missus (sorry to non brits who will not understand that). It was an amazing show where the communication with the close up audience was intense. And apart from stu not being able to do the guitar part on tweedle i though it was a near perfect show. Great songs, great songs that seemed to mean someting. THe reason i keep going.
I hope they do think a bit about the stage set up. Even the way the mic stands are set up blocks the view. They could easily have the stands the other side of the keyboard and the piano, that is simple. Just makes you wonder if it is done on purpose??? The way bob sings, the songs he chooses, the rearrangements, the not speaking, how he plays.. those things are totally up to him and I have no issue at all with that. But people are buying a ticket and do deserve to see what is happening, i think that is an issue. Bob can present it how it chooses, but the PAYING audience deserve to be able to see. And the way he turns to the audience (it cant be easy to play piano that way lol) means he must desire the communication
Yes i loved the Lyon show......

PostPosted: Sat July 28th, 2012, 00:44 GMT 
Promethium Member

I loved it, too. One of my favorites this tour. :)

The thing about the mike stands has been an issue for ages. He used to have one at center stage even at times when he never used it except to introduce the band. It gives the impression they don't give it much thought whether or not we can see. I understand that it looks good having the Oscar on top of the piano, but it does block the view. Maybe with the grand piano in place, it doesn't matter much anymore, since from a few rows back, you see nothing anyway (and I still love the piano!).

PostPosted: Sat July 28th, 2012, 01:14 GMT 

i do find it a paradox at times... He seems so keen to communicate with all the effort he can put into stuff (things have changed, thin man, tangled, for example) which he does nearly every night and still puts so much into (usually), and yet no screens at festivals, a complete lack of thought into how the stage is set up and always everything is as far back from the crowd as it can be. I sometimes wonder if there is an issue about safety, does all this stuff cover him and screen him from an attack from the audience or is it just thoughtless (thoughtless is so hard to believe). Even the no photos thing these days, everybody is taking pics from all kinds of devices all the time. Why worry about it so much? There are enough bob dylan pictures in the world in my opinion so i do not understand why such a fuss is made.
But with all that you go to a show like lyon this year and it is just so much magic that you think he, (or someone) does know what he is doing. Maybe if we understood it all then the magic (when it comes) would go away.
I will keep going as long as i can

PostPosted: Sat July 28th, 2012, 02:07 GMT 
Promethium Member

stevieblooz wrote:
I will keep going as long as i can

That's the spirit! Me too Mr. Blooz.

PostPosted: Sat July 28th, 2012, 05:23 GMT 

Since appr. 1999 every following years his stage mic and other equipement went more away from the crowd (First year with Bobs Controlamp behind him insted in front of him. They might give him some feeling of protection instead of the lamp/S following years) Even when he uses center stage, he is now very far away. I rememeber some shows from the 90's with the center mik. directly behind the controlamps which were standing on the edge of the stage. In Villafranca 1998 you could nearly touch him in the middle of the rail. Very low stage and perhaps max 2 meters away from Bob'S trousers. yeah, things have changed much in that way. It changed more after the Milano thing 2002. (Hole show with lights in the audience and Bobs mikro directly before the drums after someone was throwing a burning cigarette on the stage)

I think he is still very afraid of the first rail mob. Who wouldn't. He sees the same faces for years. This might frighten him! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat July 28th, 2012, 07:43 GMT 

Maria wrote:
Since appr. 1999 every following years his stage mic and other equipement went more away from the crowd (First year with Bobs Controlamp behind him insted in front of him. They might give him some feeling of protection instead of the lamp/S following years) Even when he uses center stage, he is now very far away. I rememeber some shows from the 90's with the center mik. directly behind the controlamps which were standing on the edge of the stage. In Villafranca 1998 you could nearly touch him in the middle of the rail. Very low stage and perhaps max 2 meters away from Bob'S trousers. yeah, things have changed much in that way. It changed more after the Milano thing 2002. (Hole show with lights in the audience and Bobs mikro directly before the drums after someone was throwing a burning cigarette on the stage)

I think he is still very afraid of the first rail mob. Who wouldn't. He sees the same faces for years. This might frighten him! :lol:

I remember that show in Perpignan where there was no stage (he was on the level of the floor), and no rail..
http://dylanstubs.com/pictures/2006_Eur ... rop_1.html
.. The front row is probabely not the most dangerous: we have the local security in front of us, and Baron watching us during the show. They are probabely more afraid of the people they can not see.

PostPosted: Sat July 28th, 2012, 10:35 GMT 
Promethium Member

^^
I agree. They can check "us" out and get to know our usual behavior because we are there much of the time. I don't think one of "us" tried to move forward at Perpignan, but I know some people I'd never seen before did.