Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri April 18th, 2014, 03:03 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 853 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 35  Next
PostPosted: Tue July 3rd, 2012, 04:20 GMT 

Should we start a new thread to actually comment about the show? The recording is up, and I'd love to be able to discuss it without wading through 27 pages of debate. :D

PostPosted: Tue July 3rd, 2012, 04:25 GMT 
Titanium Member

how 'bout in the discuss rare recordings section? have people forgotten about that one?? it's usually much more sane...

PostPosted: Tue July 3rd, 2012, 04:31 GMT 
Senior Moderator

No, you shouldn't feel like you have to move to a different forum if the topic is valid here. You can discuss it here. If there's any more interference (meaning conversation that includes namecalling or insults or putdowns) we'll pull the thread.

PostPosted: Tue July 3rd, 2012, 07:19 GMT 
Promethium Member

I would love to just hear the Can't Wait... can anyone send a link to just that song or pm me with it?

PostPosted: Tue July 3rd, 2012, 08:58 GMT 

All you need is this:
http://soundcloud.com/hopfarmmusicfest/ ... c-festival

PostPosted: Tue July 3rd, 2012, 09:00 GMT 

Milkcow wrote:
I would love to just hear the Can't Wait... can anyone send a link to just that song or pm me with it?

http://soundcloud.com/hopfarmmusicfest/ ... rand-piano

PostPosted: Tue July 3rd, 2012, 09:31 GMT 
Mercury Member

Bobby wrote:

Thanks SO much for posting this Bobby. I just listened to the slow version of Can't Wait. Nice. Compare that to the Alcatraz and see why we love this chameleon of a performer.

PostPosted: Tue July 3rd, 2012, 10:58 GMT 
Titanium Member

Bobby wrote:
Milkcow wrote:

http://soundcloud.com/hopfarmmusicfest/ ... rand-piano

Great! thanks :D

PostPosted: Tue July 3rd, 2012, 11:25 GMT 
Mercury Member

Does Mr. Presidential Medal Receiver say "some are politicians" in Hop's Tangled or am I just hearing things?

PostPosted: Tue July 3rd, 2012, 13:32 GMT 

..I have not listened to the recording, Still Go Barefoot.. still feeling high from hearing it live, I will probably leave it a few weeks. From where I was standing everything about it sounded really good. I couldn't believe how good it sounded. Maybe I just happened to be in a spot where everything came together just right, or maybe my ears were playing tricks on me. Sometimes I am not too fond of these open air Bob shows, but somehow, with the grand piano and how Bob was.. being able to see him and the band between songs, with it being light, it made it even better.. making it up there with my favourite Bob shows of the last ten years. About seven songs in I was saying to my friend this is the best Bob show I have ever seen, I don't know, maybe I was just getting carried away in the evening air. Seeing Bob laughing at the end of lines, being able to see him looking so good and enjoying himself so much, being so focused and yet relaxed, all his movements seeming to belong to the song, and to my ears, his voice sounding very good. I still prefer his voice now, everything about it, more than any other voice I hear.. I've come to realise, maybe I just don't like ' a good singing voice', and what ever some people seem to think has been leaving Bob's voice over the last few years, it isn't taking anything away from my pleasure of listening to him. If anything now it is more interesting to me. I understand people must hear different things within something, I'm just glad I can still hear what I like. I think he can do things now he couldn't do maybe seven years ago. Things have changed I know, but still I had a big smile on my face during many parts of this Hop Farm Show, and I don't usually smile that often in public.. so, well that is why I am typing this, taking the time as a thank you to Bob.

I was having a look around from where I was standing to see if I could see any Expecting Rain faces, I couldn't see any though.. although I don't really know what any expecting rain faces look like, so I suppose that was expected. I was about six rows back, just left of centre. Anyone reading this that were around that area? I was standing behind someone I felt I recognised, either way, thanks again Bob and his band.

PostPosted: Tue July 3rd, 2012, 13:35 GMT 

I was front and center mothy, It's a shame we never crossed paths!

PostPosted: Tue July 3rd, 2012, 13:37 GMT 
Titanium Member

What a lovely, wonderful review, moth! Too bad JP wasn't there with her ER badges!
Thanks for that! :D :D

PostPosted: Tue July 3rd, 2012, 14:05 GMT 
Senior Moderator

Thanks for the review, Moth. Glad you enjoyed the gig.

PostPosted: Tue July 3rd, 2012, 15:15 GMT 

gibsona07 wrote:
I was front and center mothy, It's a shame we never crossed paths!

I know, we should have made a plan before. I was trying to get on here the day before, but kept having problems connecting with my phone. I was having a look around to see if I could see you — had it in my my head you have dark curly hair? I could see a few faces on the front row to the left and right that I recognised from previous shows, but I couldn't see right in the centre. Were you there all afternoon? I probably would have got there earlier if I wasn't with my friend, but instead got my spot about ten minutes before Patti Smith came on. Found myself right in the middle of rowdy bunch of youngsters for Patti though, almost shouting to each other all the way through, even when Patti was talking between songs. I managed to move forwards after that though, so all was well.

My friend doesn't know too much Bob stuff, over the last few years I have dragged her to a few Bob Dylan shows.. I mananged to connect to this place on Saturday afternoon and read about the piano.. I was telling her about it.. she maybe thought I was a bit of a madman, being so excited about something like that.. either way, it must have rubbed off on her.. as just as Bob began to make his way over to the piano she shouted out 'oh my god' I looked over and she was jumping up and down with excitement. It made my night even better that she seemed to enjoy this show far more than the handful of previous ones I have dragged her along to :)

Where abouts did you camp gibsona?

PostPosted: Tue July 3rd, 2012, 16:03 GMT 

Moth, I was supposed to be in your tent or Trev's!!! :lol: I wish I had made it and I am glad your friend got so excited when she saw Bob. I wish you had met up with some of your ER friends. Very nice review my little Chekhov! 8) Love, Joanna XOXO

PostPosted: Tue July 3rd, 2012, 16:10 GMT 

nightly moth wrote:
..I have not listened to the recording, Still Go Barefoot.. still feeling high from hearing it live, I will probably leave it a few weeks. From where I was standing everything about it sounded really good. I couldn't believe how good it sounded. Maybe I just happened to be in a spot where everything came together just right, or maybe my ears were playing tricks on me. Sometimes I am not too fond of these open air Bob shows, but somehow, with the grand piano and how Bob was.. being able to see him and the band between songs, with it being light, it made it even better.. making it up there with my favourite Bob shows of the last ten years. About seven songs in I was saying to my friend this is the best Bob show I have ever seen, I don't know, maybe I was just getting carried away in the evening air. Seeing Bob laughing at the end of lines, being able to see him looking so good and enjoying himself so much, being so focused and yet relaxed, all his movements seeming to belong to the song, and to my ears, his voice sounding very good. I still prefer his voice now, everything about it, more than any other voice I hear.. I've come to realise, maybe I just don't like ' a good singing voice', and what ever some people seem to think has been leaving Bob's voice over the last few years, it isn't taking anything away from my pleasure of listening to him. If anything now it is more interesting to me. I understand people must hear different things within something, I'm just glad I can still hear what I like. I think he can do things now he couldn't do maybe seven years ago. Things have changed I know, but still I had a big smile on my face during many parts of this Hop Farm Show, and I don't usually smile that often in public.. so, well that is why I am typing this, taking the time as a thank you to Bob.

I was having a look around from where I was standing to see if I could see any Expecting Rain faces, I couldn't see any though.. although I don't really know what any expecting rain faces look like, so I suppose that was expected. I was about six rows back, just left of centre. Anyone reading this that were around that area? I was standing behind someone I felt I recognised, either way, thanks again Bob and his band.

Thanks a lot for this review, really nice to hear first hand from someone who was there. Some of the stuff I've heard is fantastic - I hope it continues through the tour for when I catch up with him in Nimes and Lyon.

The only thing he knows how to is keep on keepin on 8)

PostPosted: Tue July 3rd, 2012, 16:43 GMT 
Titanium Member

Quote:
The only thing he knows how to is keep on keepin on

there aint EVER gonna be another bob. seeing bob on tour is like seeing Alexander the Great, conquering the music world. big eye, since its never gonna be seen again.

PostPosted: Tue July 3rd, 2012, 16:50 GMT 

goombay wrote:
Quote:

there aint EVER gonna be another bob. seeing bob on tour is like seeing Alexander the Great, conquering the music world. big eye, since its never gonna be seen again.

8) Exactly! ...and whenever he plays near where I live, I'll be happy to go see him.

PostPosted: Tue July 3rd, 2012, 16:56 GMT 
Mercury Member

goombay wrote:
Quote:

Don't be silly.

PostPosted: Tue July 3rd, 2012, 16:58 GMT 
Titanium Member

Quote:
8) Exactly! ...and whenever he plays near where I live, I'll be happy to go see him.

im just listening again to the Hop Farm show. epic bob. love that hard rain.

PostPosted: Tue July 3rd, 2012, 17:03 GMT 

goombay wrote:

I'm with you Goombay ! Denial may help the pain of this reality, but it's better to accept it. If there is eternity, it'll be true there again.

PostPosted: Tue July 3rd, 2012, 17:04 GMT 
Titanium Member

Quote:
Don't be silly.

no 1 in the charts, huge venues filled with true fans, bob is marching into the next city, he cant be stopped. how sweet it is.

PostPosted: Tue July 3rd, 2012, 17:06 GMT 
Titanium Member

bob dylan has been culturally irrelevant for decades. this doesn't mean you can't listen to him, of course! mozart and bach and beethoven and miles davis and anybody else groundbreaking and amazing has also been surpassed long ago; but the idea that bob is conquering the music world is, indeed, rather silly

bob's music is really excellent, but it's just music; there is lots of music

there is no need to put bob or anybody else on a ridiculous pedestal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWrMGXwhFLk

Last edited by tellmemomma1966 on Tue July 3rd, 2012, 17:12 GMT, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue July 3rd, 2012, 17:08 GMT 
Titanium Member

Quote:
I'm with you Goombay ! Denial may help the pain of this reality, but it's better to accept it. If there is eternity, it'll be true there again.

denial will be drowned out by the sound of bobs band rolling into town filling the venue with true fans. what didnt do him in only made him greater. he rolls along, nobody can stop him. hes nationwide and worldwide. my hats off to him.

yes silly. medals from the prez of the USA, all kinda accolades, from the learned academic peeps, from the musicologist experts, no 1 records huge tours. hes totally irrelevant,nobody cares.

Last edited by goombay on Tue July 3rd, 2012, 17:19 GMT, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue July 3rd, 2012, 17:13 GMT 

Well you can tone it down a little bit. Nobody is bigger than himself? How big do you think he wants to be, until he is big enough? You have to be able to see the different shades when it comes to Bob or any other artist. It isn't either good or bad. It is a tapestry of different things and every person percieves it differently. Sometimes I feel I don't want to listen to the "deep" stuff that Bob provides. Sometimes I just want to listen to something more easy. Like this morning I listened to country and some of the songs were really catching my attention.

In America everything has to be bigger and better. That's the way it is here.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 853 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 35  Next