Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed October 22nd, 2014, 13:48 GMT

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 853 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 35  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon July 2nd, 2012, 22:59 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Thu June 14th, 2012, 15:36 GMT
Posts: 410
Location: Stuck inside of Mobile..........literally
im listening too the hop farm bootleg now, and im sooooo glad i bought tickets for all of the canada hershey run! Hard Rain is sweet, like Heredia. ModBob Vishnu is alive!


My first dylan show ever he opened with Hey Good Looking, btw...........


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon July 2nd, 2012, 23:55 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue June 23rd, 2009, 09:29 GMT
Posts: 9805
Location: Sydney
BostonAreaBobFan wrote:

Brian - I removed drivel from both sides of the fence.

Let's not re-write history here. What I DID SAY was if people wanted to have insightful debate about BD's performances, have at it. Most of what was posted didn't seem insightful, rather the disrespectful tone seems to have served as a vehcile to piss people off.

In fact, asserting that the reason a person must like "modern" Bob is because he/she must not listen to any current music is pretty Stalinlike, if you ask me. tmm1966 implies what one should listen to in order to hear music critically.

If were a betting woman, I'd gamble that I probably listen to more artists of different genres day in and day out than a lot of people here, so that argument is total hogwash.

i like how you condemn turning abstract arguments about the merit of bob's current live show into character debates and then call me a stalinist and declare my point of view hogwash :roll:

i was speaking from personal experience; i used to be a huge current bob fan, followed setlists and listened to shows obsessively, also obsessed with fashion report, etc etc etc. then i listened to lots of other music (largely modern electronic music which i got into through friends and which i think that everybody should listen to because it's music made now for the mindset and cultural setting of now; you can of course listen to whatever you want, but it's really exciting listening to music that was made literally yesterday) and when i heard recent bob again i was really shocked and couldn't believe that i had once enjoyed this music or understand why.

say what you will, i understand that there is still much to be fascinated by (though interestingly lots of it has nothing to do with the music that bob actually plays, and even less to do with the quality of his singing) in a modern bob show. but few will argue that his voice is a complete mess. i was at the concert tonight and i know it's a cliche, but it's so for a reason - if i had not spent years memorising all of the lyrics to all of bob's songs through osmosis and learning to understand the mumbled, croaky, raspy way he seems to choose to deliver those lyrics today i wouldn't have understood a word.
the heart and soul of bob's songs are the lyrics; who would deny this? the reason that they are such powerful songs is that when sung with conviction and clarity and passion and nuance (also in time and having something to do with the rest of the arrangement of the song helps) they can transport you into other worlds and make you feel everything; they're hilarious, moving, transcendent, beautiful songs. the problem is that bob is currently unwilling or unable to do his songs justice because he's unable to sing their idiosyncratic and fantastic lyrics with any meaning. what's left are nice, but unremarkable performances of his songs by his band with bob barking and wheezing something in which if you're really forgiving you can hear something of the original feeling, and if you're not, or you don't know the songs back to front, sound like garbled nonsense


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue July 3rd, 2012, 00:12 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat April 18th, 2009, 21:24 GMT
Posts: 5942
unclejohn wrote:
im listening too the hop farm bootleg now, and im sooooo glad i bought tickets for all of the canada hershey run! Hard Rain is sweet, like Heredia. ModBob Vishnu is alive!


My first dylan show ever he opened with Hey Good Looking, btw...........


i was there tuscaloosa alabama 1990. the hop farm is great im listening now.


somebody want to listen to something else, fabulous. we dont really need to know.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue July 3rd, 2012, 00:37 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 25th, 2011, 17:35 GMT
Posts: 4065
Location: .....down by the river
tellmemomma1966 wrote:
...say what you will, i understand that there is still much to be fascinated by (though interestingly lots of it has nothing to do with the music that bob actually plays, and even less to do with the quality of his singing) in a modern bob show. but few will argue that his voice is a complete mess. i was at the concert tonight and i know it's a cliche, but it's so for a reason - if i had not spent years memorising all of the lyrics to all of bob's songs through osmosis and learning to understand the mumbled, croaky, raspy way he seems to choose to deliver those lyrics today i wouldn't have understood a word.
the heart and soul of bob's songs are the lyrics; who would deny this? the reason that they are such powerful songs is that when sung with conviction and clarity and passion and nuance (also in time and having something to do with the rest of the arrangement of the song helps) they can transport you into other worlds and make you feel everything; they're hilarious, moving, transcendent, beautiful songs. the problem is that bob is currently unwilling or unable to do his songs justice because he's unable to sing their idiosyncratic and fantastic lyrics with any meaning. what's left are nice, but unremarkable performances of his songs by his band with bob barking and wheezing something in which if you're really forgiving you can hear something of the original feeling, and if you're not, or you don't know the songs back to front, sound like garbled nonsense


If that's your opinion, I don't understand why you bothered to go to the show.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue July 3rd, 2012, 01:03 GMT 
Senior Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu October 26th, 2006, 02:28 GMT
Posts: 23578
Location: I'm in Bostontown in some restaurant.
tellmemomma1966 wrote:
BostonAreaBobFan wrote:

Brian - I removed drivel from both sides of the fence.

Let's not re-write history here. What I DID SAY was if people wanted to have insightful debate about BD's performances, have at it. Most of what was posted didn't seem insightful, rather the disrespectful tone seems to have served as a vehcile to piss people off.

In fact, asserting that the reason a person must like "modern" Bob is because he/she must not listen to any current music is pretty Stalinlike, if you ask me. tmm1966 implies what one should listen to in order to hear music critically.

If were a betting woman, I'd gamble that I probably listen to more artists of different genres day in and day out than a lot of people here, so that argument is total hogwash.


i like how you condemn turning abstract arguments about the merit of bob's current live show into character debates and then call me a stalinist and declare my point of view hogwash :roll:



It is hogwash. First- your argument wasn't abstract at all. On the contrary.

Here's part of what you said:
Quote:
this is because you yearn to be part of something current, but you're so invested in bob (and traditional rock/pop/blues/folk, maybe jazz) in all senses - financial, emotional, time... that you are afraid to declare that actually, this thing you've been hearing the whole time just isn't all that great and maybe you'd be better to go and find something else.
i encourage you to do this, because if you want to feel that you are part of something which is happening NOW, and not way back in the distant sixties or whatever, there are much better things to listen to than bob.


I don't listen to Bob because he sprang from tht 60s. I've never stopped listening to him for a variety of reasons.

It was easy to volley back at you when I called your POV "Stalinist" - you're the one telling people how they feel. There's no reason at all to give up Bob Dylan to listen to other artists, whether they're from the past or now. Bob's career has spanned 50 years; he's accomplished more than just his 60s output.
I can listen to all types of music and still appreciate his work.

Oh, and another thing - I'm not afraid to admit I still think Bob's great.

Hope you enjoyed the Berlin show. :roll:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue July 3rd, 2012, 01:09 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue June 23rd, 2009, 09:29 GMT
Posts: 9805
Location: Sydney
my original argument was terribly expressed; i'm sorry about this
nobody's perfect

how do you feel about having a thread with a title something like "Do you still think it's worthwihle seeing bob" and this way a discussion could take place that didnt ruin a thread really just for people who are into bob now?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue July 3rd, 2012, 01:14 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon December 6th, 2004, 06:22 GMT
Posts: 15018
Location: Scarlet Town
I usually never say this, but I'm really getting bored with this ModBob voice crap. Just stop already. The horse is dead. You all beat it to a pulp.

No one can say anything without lashing out at someone and making it personal... telling them what they should feel or listen to or whatever...

If you don't like Bob's current voice, style, or whatever... state it and leave it. And to the people that like his current voice, although I don't see them doing this as much... . Don't try to convince someone into liking it ...just state it and leave it. People like what they like...so let it go. You enjoy it.

These voice haters (and rightfully so b/c everyone can like what appeals to themselves...) but these voice haters really need to stop. I mean they over nailed the coffin and the horse is mistaken for hamburg

There's a gazillion dissertations on here about his voice. WHO GIVES A SHIT


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue July 3rd, 2012, 01:18 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue June 23rd, 2009, 09:29 GMT
Posts: 9805
Location: Sydney
Milkcow wrote:
I usually never say this, but I'm really getting bored with this ModBob voice crap. Just stop already. The horse is dead. You all beat it to a pulp.

No one can say anything without lashing out at someone and making it personal... telling them what they should feel or listen to or whatever...

If you don't like Bob's current voice, style, or whatever... state it and leave it. And to the people that like his current voice, although I don't see then doing this as much... . Don't try to convince someone into liking it ...just state it and leave it. People like what they like...so let it go. You enjoy it.

There's a gazillion dissertations on here about his voice. WHO GIVES A SHIT

me, obviously, because i hate the voice but went to his show anyway for reasons i don't understand
i'm interested to see if there are other people in a similar position; i bet there are

i also think people should feel free to post whatever they like so long as it's a seriously held and somewhat considered opinion; if you really love bob's live shows now (as i'm sure you do) why do you get so hurt about being told that somebody else doesn't like it, or even more extreme things like that it's impossible to like bob's live show now and that you must be kidding yourself? if it's not true, it shouldn't offend you for any other reason than it's untrue


Last edited by tellmemomma1966 on Tue July 3rd, 2012, 01:22 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue July 3rd, 2012, 01:21 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri July 15th, 2011, 02:23 GMT
Posts: 15384
Milkcow wrote:
I usually never say this, but I'm really getting bored with this ModBob voice crap. Just stop already. The horse is dead. You all beat it to a pulp.

No one can say anything without lashing out at someone and making it personal... telling them what they should feel or listen to or whatever...

If you don't like Bob's current voice, style, or whatever... state it and leave it. And to the people that like his current voice, although I don't see then doing this as much... . Don't try to convince someone into liking it ...just state it and leave it. People like what they like...so let it go. You enjoy it.

There's a gazillion dissertations on here about his voice. WHO GIVES A SHIT

Right on cow. Again, opinions are like a$$holes; everybody has one.
Like she says, let it go already. (of course thinking that they really will is totally idealistic).
Let's all just have some fun then! Freedom of speech rocks, by the way. In fact, without it we might be in the swamp.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue July 3rd, 2012, 01:24 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue June 23rd, 2009, 09:29 GMT
Posts: 9805
Location: Sydney
where did i deny anybody their freedom of speech?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue July 3rd, 2012, 01:25 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri July 15th, 2011, 02:23 GMT
Posts: 15384
tellmemomma1966 wrote:
Milkcow wrote:
There's a gazillion dissertations on here about his voice. WHO GIVES A SHIT

me, obviously, because i hate the voice but went to his show anyway for reasons i don't understand
i'm interested to see if there are other people in a similar position;

You mean a state of confusion? Well, yeah.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue July 3rd, 2012, 01:27 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri July 15th, 2011, 02:23 GMT
Posts: 15384
tellmemomma1966 wrote:
where did i deny anybody their freedom of speech?

Who's accusing you of that? Hell I was agreeing with you on that part (don't know why you edited it out.)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue July 3rd, 2012, 01:28 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon December 6th, 2004, 06:22 GMT
Posts: 15018
Location: Scarlet Town
to tell me

sure you can post whatever you want... but telling people how they should feel is ridiculous... and all you're saying is crap we've read on repeat....

we know Bob's voice sounds raspy and like he swallowed a box of tacks or razor blades or anything else that can cut up his throat. We know this.... some of us like it, and some don't... we know that too... why tell someone they should or shouldn't like it and make fun of them for it? I'm not saying that was you... but others on here do. It's like hearing the same joke after you've heard it a multitude of times... for a multitude of years.... it's just not funny, not appealing, not worth hearing ..again.... it's boring and annoying.


at foot... I also believe in freedom of speech but there are consequences for things you say. not that saying bob's voice sucks is bad, but making it personal to other posters is... telling them they are fools for liking it, or they shouldn't like it and listen to other stuff... all that is bull crap... and it starts petty arguments ... but I like having the right to tell that person off... :lol:

Ps HI FOOT!!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue July 3rd, 2012, 01:30 GMT 
Senior Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu October 26th, 2006, 02:28 GMT
Posts: 23578
Location: I'm in Bostontown in some restaurant.
I gotta say - it never ceases to amaze me when people are perplexed that Bob's fans will state their admiration for his work or performances here on a fansite and others are baffled so they think it's okay to belittle them.

Some people are struggling with reading comprehension. So here goes, again....I said earlier today that a civil debate was welcome. Going forward, if there are more insults levied at the rest of us "fanboy/fangirls" (or insulting analogies are aimed at Bob Dylan) so that threads become a real fuking draaaaag, I'll lock them. There! NOW you can put your Stalin avatar back up.

I'm really sick of the childish behavior. Nobody needs to come into a thread and be phony if they don't like a performance but don't continue to inturrupt a conversation in a childish manner because you want to get your rocks off.

It's gonna be a long tour season. I could list just about all the names of the members who post who don't care for Bob's current output. I won't because we have it shoved down our throats almost a daily basis so they've made themselves known. To feel like we have to defend ourselves every time we have something good to say is a riduculous notion. I also said earlier to make mature choices in dialogue so that we don't have to lock threads. I meant what I said - it's your choice.

This means you.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue July 3rd, 2012, 01:32 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon December 6th, 2004, 06:22 GMT
Posts: 15018
Location: Scarlet Town
tellmemomma1966 wrote:
if you really love bob's live shows now (as i'm sure you do) why do you get so hurt about being told that somebody else doesn't like it, or even more extreme things like that it's impossible to like bob's live show now and that you must be kidding yourself? if it's not true, it shouldn't offend you for any other reason than it's untrue


You totally missed my point


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue July 3rd, 2012, 01:40 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue June 23rd, 2009, 09:29 GMT
Posts: 9805
Location: Sydney
i've obviously expressed my ideas in a childish way (i hadn't meant to do this, but if everybody says so, as they say, it must be true) and that i wish i hadn't done this
i'm also sorry for belittling people, sincerely, i also really didn't mean to do this and reading back the things i posted earlier i'm a bit embarassed; it pays to take some time to consider posts rather than getting caught up in the rush of a discussion and posting as quick as you can think
also sorry for saying things that everybody already knows and doesn't care about

i had a bad time at the bob show, but it's completely my own fault for going even though i knew i wouldn't enjoy it. i hope everybody else has better experiences, or if not, at least less confusing ones.

peace and sorry for causing nuisance; perhaps you'll think i'm being phony or something but i am genuinely sorry and dunno what else to do other than admit fault (though i can't change my mind about thinking that bob's voice ruins the experience of seeing him, i can try to express this view in a less arrogant way)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue July 3rd, 2012, 01:50 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue June 30th, 2009, 05:06 GMT
Posts: 8848
Location: you try to get away...they drag you back
Milkcow wrote:
I usually never say this, but I'm really getting bored with this ModBob voice crap. Just stop already. The horse is dead. You all beat it to a pulp.

No one can say anything without lashing out at someone and making it personal... telling them what they should feel or listen to or whatever...

If you don't like Bob's current voice, style, or whatever... state it and leave it. And to the people that like his current voice, although I don't see them doing this as much... . Don't try to convince someone into liking it ...just state it and leave it. People like what they like...so let it go. You enjoy it.

These voice haters (and rightfully so b/c everyone can like what appeals to themselves...) but these voice haters really need to stop. I mean they over nailed the coffin and the horse is mistaken for hamburg

There's a gazillion dissertations on here about his voice. WHO GIVES A SHIT


wonderful post Milkcow - now that's something I hardly say!!! :wink:

@ Boston - I will say that some times it happens the other way too - I've come out at times to be observational and not adulational... once in a blue moon and in one instance i was swarmed with pro-bobbers (of whom i thought myself a part) ready to crucify me. there is a civil way of expressing a critique and a civil way of receiving a critique or different point of view. when people don't have the facilities or lose the capability to do either, they usually resort to jockeying for turf in some crude redundant way or another...

Momma - i'm happy to hear your thoughts and observe how your views evolve over time - i'm sure the same thing happens here to many - the only parts where you overreached were by presuming (or suggesting, or making it sound as if) people who haven't arrived to the same place you have are somehow unenlightened....there are as many roads in this world as there are people. perhaps moreso...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue July 3rd, 2012, 01:56 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri July 15th, 2011, 02:23 GMT
Posts: 15384
tellmemomma1966 wrote:
but it's completely my own fault for going even though i knew i wouldn't enjoy it.

I think that's what is called a 'self fulfilling prophecy.'. In other words you can project your own future to a certain extent, or at least influence it.

Regardless, it takes courage to be introspective, especially in public. So good on ya, mate. Let's move forward. Cheers.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue July 3rd, 2012, 01:57 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue June 23rd, 2009, 09:29 GMT
Posts: 9805
Location: Sydney
i picked the wrong place and time to speak my mind


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue July 3rd, 2012, 01:59 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat April 18th, 2009, 21:24 GMT
Posts: 5942
for what its worth i agree 100 percent with boston.

the days of myself posting a nice bob post and then someone coming behind and calling me a 'rxtard' followed by a bunch of extras clapping 'great zinger', them days are over.


Last edited by goombay on Tue July 3rd, 2012, 02:09 GMT, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue July 3rd, 2012, 02:02 GMT 
Senior Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu October 26th, 2006, 02:28 GMT
Posts: 23578
Location: I'm in Bostontown in some restaurant.
Troubadour64 wrote:
@ Boston - I will say that some times it happens the other way too - I've come out at times to be observational and not adulational... once in a blue moon and in one instance i was swarmed with pro-bobbers (of whom i thought myself a part) ready to crucify me. there is a civil way of expressing a critique and a civil way of receiving a critique or different point of view. when people don't have the facilities or lose the capability to do either, they usually resort to jockeying for turf in some crude redundant way or another...


Most of the time you can say anything, however it's all about delivery. I've been told on more than one occasion to clean the shit out of my ears because I held an opposing POV.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue July 3rd, 2012, 02:06 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue June 30th, 2009, 05:06 GMT
Posts: 8848
Location: you try to get away...they drag you back
agreed - it's all about delivery, and respecting people and their ideas.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue July 3rd, 2012, 02:08 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue June 23rd, 2009, 09:29 GMT
Posts: 9805
Location: Sydney
the atmosphere of mutual distrust and hostility that emerges on this forum all the time is really disheartening and bad; i'm really sorry for contributing to it and i hope that it goes away


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue July 3rd, 2012, 02:12 GMT 
Senior Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu October 26th, 2006, 02:28 GMT
Posts: 23578
Location: I'm in Bostontown in some restaurant.
BTW - my post reads like it was aimed at tmm1966. It's directed at everyone involved in these thread disputes. Just want to clear that up.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue July 3rd, 2012, 02:14 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri July 15th, 2011, 02:23 GMT
Posts: 15384
All We Are Saying...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwNg4lHF ... ata_player


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 853 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 35  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Illy Dylan, Plunk, Tambach


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group