Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat April 19th, 2014, 06:53 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 853 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 35  Next
PostPosted: Mon July 2nd, 2012, 13:35 GMT 

Just checked in and I HAVEN'T listened to anything, but when is he going to change the set list? I am so tired that I didn't even really check the encores? I will look later; back to bed. I would like to hear it LATER - they say on the Main Page that there was a grand piano on stage; I didn't see it on these pics, but again LATER!!! Love, Joanna XOXO P.S. CORRECTION - I had an imagined set list; it didn't look too bad - the real thing and I guess there WAS a piano. :roll:

Last edited by J0hanna4Ever on Mon July 2nd, 2012, 13:40 GMT, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon July 2nd, 2012, 13:36 GMT 

Here's a few shots....

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon July 2nd, 2012, 14:39 GMT 
Senior Moderator

I don't like the slant this thread is taking. Telling someone they're mentally ill and other insults are just without taste.

We're going to clean this thread up later. If you want to use it for mature critical analysis, so be it. Any posts referring to performances sounding like shit, cat's farting, etc. will be deleted. So will insulting posts volleyed at another user. If it continues - the whole thing will be moved off. The choice is yours.

Not everyone wants to go see Bob. That's okay - but these threads that claim the participants that do are feeble-minded, tasteless fanboys/girls need to stop.

And I don't want to see any shit about the moderating team stepping on people's right to free speech. The choice is yours.

PostPosted: Mon July 2nd, 2012, 15:28 GMT 
Senior Moderator

You're not seeing things. I've removed about 2 pages of drivel.

PostPosted: Mon July 2nd, 2012, 15:30 GMT 

Brian Hamilton-Smith wrote:
Mr Bennyboy is a true fan of Bob Dylan's music. He should be given a knighthood for his courageous fight for Truth in the battle against Liking It Just Because It's Bob.

the fight for truth- have you received your knighthood for posting this stuff bennyboy :) as for me, i'm proposing a toast to the king... bob, that is

PostPosted: Mon July 2nd, 2012, 15:30 GMT 
Titanium Member

LOCK THE THRAD QUICK LOCK IT BEFORE SOMEBODY POSTS SOMETHING SARCASTIC

PostPosted: Mon July 2nd, 2012, 15:32 GMT 
Mercury Member

I have a shaky video of it on my phone.

PostPosted: Mon July 2nd, 2012, 15:36 GMT 

We are fighting the Law of Rapidly Diminishing Thread at the moment.

If we don't keep on posting, the thread may disappear completely!

May I suggest a subject:

ModBob is shit.

Discuss?

PostPosted: Mon July 2nd, 2012, 15:38 GMT 

Just gonna weigh into this a little bit.

I can understand peoples complaints with Bob's voice nowadays. But you get used to it after a while.

Now.. down to the performances from Hop Farm.

If any of you have seen Highway 61, with that amazing new lick, tell me he isnt performing the x out of it? Same goes for Ballad of a Thin Man, which at certain points he is really x singing full blast. His piano on Hwy61 is also pretty good.

Admittedly Baby Blue is atrocious because of his search and deform guitar solos.

My thoughts on the 5 or 6 performances I've seen from this show is it was clearly a good gig, Bob enjoying himself and singing the best way he can. Lovesick is pretty good too.

I don't have a problem with his voice anymore because I have no illusions about it. The past is over, this is the mercurial Bob Dylan now, we have to accept it. If he always listened to his 'fans' he wouldnt have gone electric.

PostPosted: Mon July 2nd, 2012, 15:41 GMT 
Titanium Member

trevgibb wrote:

I can understand peoples complaints with Bob's voice nowadays. But you get used to it after a while.

If any of you have seen Highway 61, with that amazing new lick, tell me he isnt performing the x out of it? Same goes for Ballad of a Thin Man, which at certain points he is really x singing full blast. His piano on Hwy61 is also pretty good.

Admittedly Baby Blue is atrocious because of his search and deform guitar solos.

My thoughts on the 5 or 6 performances I've seen from this show is it was clearly a good gig, Bob enjoying himself and singing the best way he can. Lovesick is pretty good too.

I don't have a problem with his voice anymore because I have no illusions about it. The past is over, this is the mercurial Bob Dylan now, we have to accept it. If he always listened to his 'fans' he wouldnt have gone electric.

supermabel1 wrote:
The ... case ---

I rest ... 8) :mrgreen:

it's time to take a modbob songwriting approach to posting...

PostPosted: Mon July 2nd, 2012, 15:42 GMT 
Mercury Member

Oh come on trev - you love Masked&Anonymous mate.

Funniest line of reasoning ever - if you accept the singer's vocals as being bad, it's not so bad. You get used to it....

Aim for the stars! Oh such giddy heights!

PostPosted: Mon July 2nd, 2012, 15:43 GMT 

Bennyboy wrote:
I have a shaky video of it on my phone.

there is only one thing i can do at this point in the fight for truth, sorry, but it's time for me to release... fennyboy

PostPosted: Mon July 2nd, 2012, 15:44 GMT 
Titanium Member

trevgibb wrote:

good, im thinking of opening up a musicology school on the off topic area, would you like to be senior lecturer?
just need to answer one question: when did you first see bob live?

PostPosted: Mon July 2nd, 2012, 15:46 GMT 
Mercury Member

goombay wrote:
trevgibb wrote:

good, im thinking of opening up a musicology school on the off topic area, would you like to be senior lecturer?
just need to answer one question: when did you first see bob live?

He can lead the lectures on 'Masked & Anonymous'...put some chairs next to the bins out back....

PostPosted: Mon July 2nd, 2012, 15:50 GMT 
Titanium Member

Quote:
He can lead the lectures on 'Masked & Anonymous'...put some chairs next to the bins out back....

i heard a story that you went on the mark lanegan forum and went on a bit about how mark is the good bomb and bob is the bad bomb. everybody agreed, gave you a big round. but afterward everybody was wondering who exactly this bob dylan is. this is just a story i heard.

were gonna have remedial bob classes for students who never saw bob prior to 1990;

PostPosted: Mon July 2nd, 2012, 15:54 GMT 
Mercury Member

goombay wrote:
Quote:

i heard a story that you went on the mark lanegan forum and went on a bit about how mark is the good bomb and bob is the bad bomb. everybody agreed, gave you a big round. but afterward everybody was wondering who exactly this bob dylan is. this is just a story i heard.

were gonna have remedial bob classes for students who never saw bob prior to 1990;

You heard wrong mate - time to get yourself some new 'peeps', methinks.

p.s. I was born in 1971, I first began listening to Bob Dylan in 1985/6 and went to see him live for the first time in 1995. Before seeing him live in 1995 I had listened to all of his albums released before then, and some live bootlegs. Since 1995 I have listened to all the albums released sinc that date to present, and many, many, many bootlegs. These include live shows you no doubt attended personally.

When I grow up, will I one day become like you, Dad?

If you're picking a fight based on when people first saw Bob Dylan live, you're barking up your own tree fido. Take the bifta out your mouth and eat some healthy brain food. Oily fish is particularly rich in Omega 3.

Last edited by Bennyboy on Mon July 2nd, 2012, 15:59 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon July 2nd, 2012, 15:55 GMT 
Titanium Member

Quote:
You heard wrong mate - time to get yourself some new 'peeps', methinks.

i didnt think it would be true.

PostPosted: Mon July 2nd, 2012, 15:57 GMT 
Titanium Member

PostPosted: Mon July 2nd, 2012, 15:57 GMT 

Bennyboy wrote:

Funniest line of reasoning ever - if you accept the singer's vocals as being bad, it's not so bad. You get used to it....

Tell me what it is about his vocals that are bad? I personally like the sound of his voice now. Sorry.

Tom Waits sings virtually the same way.

Oh and I first saw Bob in 2000. So I don't have the honour some have of having seen him 30 or more years earlier and therefore being able to compare the experiece. I saw him last October and thought it was as good as the first time I saw him in 2000, and I saw the Newcastle show which gave us Delia and Man of Peace.

I liked his voice in 99-02, hated it pretty much from 88 to 97 (excluding certain occassions in 94/5/6) didnt like his voice much after 02 though, sort of gave up on the dylan forums and the debates and going to the gigs. But slowly over time I have come round to his voice as it is in its current state and enjoy watchin him play. There is still a magnetism to the performances and his voice is still an instrument, if even a tad broken, and he still uses it to express. I don't think we should be applying rules to how someones voice should or shouldnt be, it could be a myriad of different textures.

Those of us who dug his voice in the 60s have people telling us even then he couldnt sing, now some of us our lot are turning into the same people but within this Dylan bubble.

The voice will always be an issue. I never liked the Gospel voice. I detest the sound of his voice on When He Returns, but I know that he is singing the hell out of the song. Hated what happened to his voice from Street Legel onwards basically. Thought desire was a high point vocally. Again, there were periods on every tour when he would do something sublime with the 'voice' he had. But post Desire I generally didn't like the voice till Oh Mercy appeared.

Who knows why we like or dislike certain periods, certain voices or whatever.. I just like his voice now. It doesn't bother me one bit.

As to liking Masked and Anonymous... I was a kid of 19 when that came out who was starry eyed and getting into Dylan big time. I still think its a decent movie worth looking at. But I dont get aroused by it!

PostPosted: Mon July 2nd, 2012, 16:02 GMT 
Mercury Member

Bringing Tom Waits into it? Ouch. Not a smart move.

PostPosted: Mon July 2nd, 2012, 16:05 GMT 
Titanium Member

Quote:
p.s. I was born in 1971, I first began listening to Bob Dylan in 1985/6 and went to see him live for the first time in 1995. Before seeing him live in 1995 I had listened to all of his albums released before then, and some live bootlegs. Since 1995 I have listened to all the albums released sinc that date to present, and many, many, many bootlegs. These include live shows you no doubt attended personally.

When I grow up, will I one day become like you, Dad?

If you're picking a fight based on when people first saw Bob Dylan live, you're barking up your own tree fido. Take the bifta out your mouth and eat some healthy brain food. Oily fish is particularly rich in Omega 3.

thanx for your resume upon first review we find it alarming that you ignored the opportunity to see bob during the 1987-1994 period when he performed in your area.

PostPosted: Mon July 2nd, 2012, 16:05 GMT 

Bennyboy wrote:

I first began listening to Bob Dylan in 1985/6 and went to see him live for the first time in 1995.

What took you so long to see him live?

PostPosted: Mon July 2nd, 2012, 16:10 GMT 

DebbieA wrote:
Bennyboy wrote:

I first began listening to Bob Dylan in 1985/6 and went to see him live for the first time in 1995.

What took you so long to see him live?

Benny was lucky. He might have seen Dylan first at Hammersmith '93. What a dog's breakfast that was.

PostPosted: Mon July 2nd, 2012, 16:12 GMT 
Titanium Member

trevgibb wrote:
Bennyboy wrote:

Tell me what it is about his vocals that are bad? I personally like the sound of his voice now. Sorry.

Tom Waits sings virtually the same way.

Oh and I first saw Bob in 2000. So I don't have the honour some have of having seen him 30 or more years earlier and therefore being able to compare the experiece. I saw him last October and thought it was as good as the first time I saw him in 2000, and I saw the Newcastle show which gave us Delia and Man of Peace.

I liked his voice in 99-02, hated it pretty much from 88 to 97 (excluding certain occassions in 94/5/6) didnt like his voice much after 02 though, sort of gave up on the dylan forums and the debates and going to the gigs. But slowly over time I have come round to his voice as it is in its current state and enjoy watchin him play. There is still a magnetism to the performances and his voice is still an instrument, if even a tad broken, and he still uses it to express. I don't think we should be applying rules to how someones voice should or shouldnt be, it could be a myriad of different textures.

Those of us who dug his voice in the 60s have people telling us even then he couldnt sing, now some of us our lot are turning into the same people but within this Dylan bubble.

The voice will always be an issue. I never liked the Gospel voice. I detest the sound of his voice on When He Returns, but I know that he is singing the hell out of the song. Hated what happened to his voice from Street Legel onwards basically. Thought desire was a high point vocally. Again, there were periods on every tour when he would do something sublime with the 'voice' he had. But post Desire I generally didn't like the voice till Oh Mercy appeared.

Who knows why we like or dislike certain periods, certain voices or whatever.. I just like his voice now. It doesn't bother me one bit.

As to liking Masked and Anonymous... I was a kid of 19 when that came out who was starry eyed and getting into Dylan big time. I still think its a decent movie worth looking at. But I dont get aroused by it!

i love masked and anonymous, at the very end the super dylanologist gets killed by a guitar.

PostPosted: Mon July 2nd, 2012, 16:14 GMT 

first thing i'm gonna have fennyboy do is get rid of that avatar of yours brian

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 853 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 35  Next