Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed October 18th, 2017, 07:20 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue March 15th, 2005, 22:21 GMT 

For those of you who have been lucky enough to see Bob on this tour what's your favorite song been? The one that made a lump in your throat.

I was at the Wednesday show in Seattle and for me it was Most Likely You'll Go Your Way And I'll Go Mine, which has to be one of my five favorite songs of his.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue March 15th, 2005, 22:49 GMT 

I was at the first show, and Mr Tambourine Man was absolutely hypnotic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed March 16th, 2005, 01:45 GMT 

The High Water For Charley Patton they did in Portland was the finest single live hard rock preformance I think I have ever heard. And I've been going to shows, concerts, gigs,dances, etc for a long time. It was stunning

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed March 16th, 2005, 01:47 GMT 

sarah wrote:
I was at the first show, and Mr Tambourine Man was absolutely hypnotic.

I've listened to that on this page:

http://home.smartcall.no/skog008/mp3s.html

-it is remarkable via the recording it must've been spellbinding to be there

Did you get a complete copy of the 3/7 yet , Sarah???? It's going around--

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed March 16th, 2005, 08:52 GMT 

Yes, my first bittorrent ever! Would you like me to send it to you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed March 16th, 2005, 09:02 GMT 

Umm, well....I think one of the fellas here is gonna send me a copy of Seattle, but thanks anyway--I'm really looking for the 3/11 Portland--if you come across one-snag it for me please!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed March 16th, 2005, 09:03 GMT 

okay, if it's up on easytree I probably will. great review of the show, btw :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu March 17th, 2005, 06:34 GMT 

sarah wrote:
great review of the show, btw :)

:wink: Well, I might'a embellished it a little, I dunno-what did you think?

--I'm glad I went, I almost canceled--had some terrible sad news at the beginning of the week and I didnt feel like going anywhere, and didnt, for that five days. Going to the city and the concert was just the thing to get my mind off my troubles

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu March 17th, 2005, 08:55 GMT 

Quote:
Well, I might'a embellished it a little, I dunno-what did you think?

I had a great time. I missed the purple streaks, but the star backdrop was pretty psychedelic. :) And I couldn't stop smiling afterwards, so I was walking around by myself with this big grin on my face and everyone on the street thought I was nuts.

Quote:
--I'm glad I went, I almost canceled--had some terrible sad news at the beginning of the week and I didnt feel like going anywhere, and didnt, for that five days.

I'm sorry to hear that. :( I hope things are getting better, or will be soon..

Post subject: This band's on fire
PostPosted: Fri March 18th, 2005, 01:57 GMT 

I saw the three Oakland shows. Monday was spent trying to get my mind around the new configuration. Good show. Tuesday's show was my favorite, esp. "This Wheel's On Fire" at the center stage mic. Highwater does really cook as has been mentioned. I don't think I ever saw this performed with the previous group with Larry playing banjo (didn't he only play banjo on this for a few of the shows?). The banjo really drives the song.

In my opinion this band is edgier than the previous group. I really like Stu's guitar playing, especially. The other members bring new riffs to familiar numbers, with a few new arrangements thrown in for good measure. Bob is in as fine a voice as he gets these days, and I'm really glad I saw three shows.

Favorite moment? When I noticed Bob, Stu, Tony and George all sporting hats of varying sorts, with the 3 new members delegated to perform hatless.

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue March 22nd, 2005, 04:45 GMT 

My favorite moments were after the tuesday and wednesday Oakland shows after the first night I sat down on the BART train back to SF and I looked up to see a Garnier shampoo ad. Very cosmic, The next night after I got off the BART I was walking across Market and a bus was going by very slowly and as the rear came up their was another Garnier shampoo ad. Very very cosmic. The Folsom in Reno, Wheels on Fire in Oakland Dylan singing croooner style was fun, the least favorite- not making it to Vegas in time to catch the show. :( :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue March 22nd, 2005, 21:24 GMT 

yes, the stars...those were great. And at Oakland, which already has such a majestic theater...I would just look straight up, then slowly drop my gaze downward, past all the great artwork in the ceiling, then the stars, then the band, lightened up in all different sorts of hues. Real moving stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri March 25th, 2005, 23:33 GMT 

Everything I have seen, heard, and read regarding this tour is that it has been incredible. I was at the show in Las Vegas, what a night. The best moment of the show for me was hearing Shootin' Star. That was like Christmas without all the headaches and hype. It had a special, esoteric meaning for me. The trip to LV was a rough one, lots of bad weather on them there roads, but I paid for my ticket and I will not complain! Next up for me is the show in the Mile Hi city on Monday. Now, if Bob would play Mississippi sometime during the evening, that would be pure magic for me. There are so many I would like to hear, but I don't want to be greedy, so I will just request this one at this time.
Thanks for listening and Happy Easter everyone!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue March 29th, 2005, 23:22 GMT 

"High Water Everywhere," which somebody mentioned for Portland, was great at the Pantages, too. When Bob played Staples Center in L.A. on the Love & Theft tour, he did a great super-dramatic presentation of that, where he was in a spotlight, the band was off in the shadows, playing very subtly, and Bob seemed almost solo, even a capella, for parts of the song. The Pantages version seemed to retain some of that high level of drama. "Senor"--which was second after an opening "Cat's in the Well" on Friday or Saturday at the Pantages--really rocketed the intensity to a level I thought would be impossible to sustain, but Bob did sustain it. I'd like to hear "Senor" in every show. I'd also like to keep hearing "Sylvio" on almost every set-list, maybe rotated in as a jamming rocker along with "Honest with Me" and now "Down Along the Cove."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed March 30th, 2005, 18:54 GMT 

For the show in Denver on Monday night, Saving Grace was phenomenal. Such a moving song, and very appropriate for the day after Easter. Right down in front (second row of people from the stage), watching intently as he delivered every word with conviction, I was mesmerized. The whole show was terrific, but that song was quite exceptional on Monday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed March 30th, 2005, 19:39 GMT 

Amos Lee was the best part of the show in LA on saturday night.
Dylan has sounded crappy the last two times I have seen him, saturday, and two years ago in Chicago. Last time seeing him for me unless tickets are free(90 bones is too much for a subpar performance) and I don['t want to hear the customary "you don't appreciate what he is about" because I loved the 8 or so shows I saw from 96' to 2002. His band isn't bad, just too big. They seem to be stepping on each others toes the whole time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu March 31st, 2005, 21:20 GMT 

Saw Bob at the Fillmore March 29, in Denver. For some reason "Can't Wait" was the most intense moving highlight for me. Wanted more from "Time out of Mind", but that was great. Slowed down (if you can believe that) drawn out. Also wonderful were extended versions of "Lay, Lady, Lay", "Absolutely Sweet Marie", and an incredibly intense version of "This Wheel's on Fire." Great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu March 31st, 2005, 21:59 GMT 

Glad to hear that about Can't Wait - my favorite song from Time Out Of Mind. Hope I get to see that in NYC!

Thanks for the review.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu March 31st, 2005, 23:07 GMT 

From the 3/29 show at the Fillmore in Denver. (Great show, BTW)

My favorite part was during one of the early songs, I can't remember
which one, he grabbed a harmonica and walked in front of his keyboards next to the violin player, Elana Fremerman. They played a back-and-forth solo Dylan blurting out a phrase on harp and Fremerman answering back with the back and forth overlapping. His harp playing of late has been fairly basic 3-note affairs, but the addtion of the violin gave new life to the harp playing. The best part -- as Fremmerman would stop playing to let Dylan hit a riff on his harp, she'd watch him -- eyes fixed on him for clues as to where to go next -- then she'd get this sly, foxy grin, lean into the violin and let her bow dig into a couter-point riff. It was kind of a yin/yang thing with she as the sensual, sly female foil for Dylan's rough burly harp playing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat April 2nd, 2005, 20:01 GMT 

last night in Chicago...."Mississsippi" was a rollicking and the auditoium was rockin! opened wwith "to be alone with you", then"If you see her, fiddles blistering.....shit, the show rocked!!
Cant wait for Sunday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon April 4th, 2005, 19:22 GMT 

4-3-05 Chicago Sunday night :twisted:
Senor
Shooting Star
I Shall Be Released....only version so far on this tour. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue April 5th, 2005, 13:49 GMT 

agreed.....but lets not forget a heartfelt "God Knows"
it was a revelation!!
tonight should be another great one.
How lucky that these extended stays for Bob in Chicago are becoming common.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue April 5th, 2005, 18:28 GMT 

Y"ou Ain't Goin Nowhere" at Oakland Tues night 3/15 melted me! I saw the show the night before and enjoyed it, but this was the first song where it really felt as if Dylan was singing to us and reaching out. It was beautiful and I'll never forget it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed April 6th, 2005, 15:26 GMT 

I heard the opening chords for "Under the Red sky" and was psyched, then a rockin "Absolutely sweet Marie" and the night was complete until a beatiful "Baby Blue"
Wow!
Sorry for the 5th and final night to arrive. should be fun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu April 14th, 2005, 20:17 GMT 

Last night in Buffalo... (great show)

On a fun note, Dylan was butchering some verses of She Belongs To Me, at least to my ears.

"She wears an Egyptian ring,
they worn on an honour roll" ?! ("hole in the road"?)

Whatever the heck he was singing it had no resemblence to "sparkles before she speaks". And he sang it that way again the second time. Pretty funny. If this is Bob pre-senility I can hardly wait to hear what he comes up with when he's 85. :D

Anyway. Queen Jane and You Ain't Goin Nowhere were both stunning. So was Desolation Row and Hollis Brown for that matter. setlist here From Cat's in The Well on, they built into an incredible crescendo that never seemed to wane. Great ride. The band is excellent.