Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue October 17th, 2017, 16:52 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue April 4th, 2006, 04:35 GMT 

Really, Aaron? God bless you for it. :D

I have yet to venture down there (and I live less than 100 miles away). I have wanted to go, but I know it will just do me so badly to see the destruction firsthand. I'm planning to ride down there, though, over my spring break . . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue April 4th, 2006, 14:13 GMT 

Yeah it should be a trip, I was in New Orleans for two weeks about a month after Katrina hit last year. Here you can see a few snapshots.

http://poetryandroses.com/about.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue April 4th, 2006, 15:12 GMT 
It's amazing how people can be at the same place the same time and see totally different things. Here's another review of the Reno show:

"Hope he got a good contract and gets some big bucks off the new
recording. No one should hate going back to work that much. He seemed really mad.

Dylan looked tired and the band watched his every move trying so hard to get it right. It was pretty obvious from row two Dylan wasn't very pleased with the feedback.

Dylan also threw two harmonicas hard into the side stage curtain, he " blew them out"(no notes). The drums made him grimace during Watchtower. Seemed even with his black ear plugs set up too close. The drumming is off and wrong. Not like in the band days not subtle stuff."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue April 4th, 2006, 15:14 GMT 

Oh wow, that doesn't sound good. But you always get two stories anyways. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue April 4th, 2006, 15:19 GMT 

Maybe he played the same songs again trying to redeem himself. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue April 4th, 2006, 21:43 GMT 

:o Wow . . that is scary-sounding, isn't it? I hope that's not a harbinger of things to come, and they were just having a rough night. It happens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri April 7th, 2006, 04:43 GMT 

Long John wrote:
It's amazing how people can be at the same place the same time and see totally different things. Here's another review of the Reno show:

"Hope he got a good contract and gets some big bucks off the new
recording. No one should hate going back to work that much. He seemed really mad.

Dylan looked tired and the band watched his every move trying so hard to get it right. It was pretty obvious from row two Dylan wasn't very pleased with the feedback.

Dylan also threw two harmonicas hard into the side stage curtain, he " blew them out"(no notes). The drums made him grimace during Watchtower. Seemed even with his black ear plugs set up too close. The drumming is off and wrong. Not like in the band days not subtle stuff."

I aint goin' for this stuff. I have been to a bunch of shows where the next day you read the paper and think "why couldnt this paper find some one who has some prior knowledge of Dylan before sending them to review the show"and this sounds like one of those. The reviewer was probably from Vegas and thought Bob would act like Wayne Newton.

PostPosted: Tue January 17th, 2017, 18:01 GMT 

RufusLeeKing wrote:
I was utterly overwhelmed by the new Dylan I heard in Reno last night.

This was my sixth show ever, the fifth in four years. I have become accustomed to some frazzled moments amid even more of loudness sometines substituting for inspiration.

Last night, for my debut of Stu Kimball on lead guitar and Denny Freeman on rythm guitar, I was stupefied by the new, astonishing quality of the concert.

And it wasn't just the new members who added intensity and verve, and most of all, incredibly timed technical execution, which they did.

We have, for my experience, an utterly renewed, revivified Bob Dylan, if last night's level of vituoisity can possibly be continued.

Bob on his organ-mode piano, is as good as any studio keyboardest I have ever heard on any of his albums. I unbeliveably focused my binocuars on his hands to try and understand this new dimension to his playing, and saw his bony fingers executing chords and florishes that added an entirely new dimension to the ensemble. No more aimless pounding out of sometimes discordant tones. No more trivial levels of instumental participation by Dylan. He either has taken lessons, has become inspired by some unworldly force or has enlisted on off-stage accomplice to make him sound -- I say again -- as masterful as his greatest recordings' greatest keyboard playing.

His playing of the harmonica has not faded either, although it took more of a sideline tonight than I have heard before, with his organ and vocals such a launch into the stratosphere. But I saw him playing both the keyboard and harmonica at once, and totally proificient at both. I tell you there is something very strange going on. And it is not anything pharmacological on my end.

But the most fantastic news I have to share for anyone wavering on getting in on an upcoming concert is Bob's arrangements and vocals. He has a vivid, newly inspired take on most songs I heard. And where he does not, his new bandmembers do. Rethinking his pieces is not new. But it is now, I believe, ALL better arranged music than versions I heard before.

Even the old war horse rock and roll songs I have sometimes only tolerated, anxious for a more poetic turn, have all been made better by whatever new dynamics are at play here.

And the poetic, delicate, nuanced, complexly layered flavors of Dylan were in evidence, beyond my undared wishes, in something close to half of his selections in Reno. His vocalizations were Picassoeque materstrokes, all. His pentameter was mystical and tear evoking in Tears of Rage, Never Gonna Be the Same Again, and Boots of Spanish Leather, specifically. And for many aspects of many others. Up until last night, I could hope for only one display in a given concert of the repainting of a masterpiece into an even more profound masterpiece. Last night I heard several.

There is nothing I can tell you to make you understand how beautific Dylan was last night.

Yeah, yeah, sure... :roll:

Wait until 2008.