Like a Rolling Stone
All Along the Watchtower

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun April 2nd, 2006, 18:17 GMT 

yeah cool.......any reviews yet???????

come on people!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun April 2nd, 2006, 18:21 GMT 

Somebody said that he had his keyboard on organ setting, that the songs were arranged differently, and that he sang more than growled, but that's all they said so it may be completely false. Hopefully some reviews will come in soon. I can't wait.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun April 2nd, 2006, 18:29 GMT 

Still the same encores, wish he'd vary it, is so dissapointing to hear Rolling Stone and Watchtower, not because they ain't great but it signals the end of the concert - it would add excitement if he varied it. Tears of Rage - Wow. Will look at next few dates set lists with great curiosity

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun April 2nd, 2006, 19:44 GMT 

I havent seen Bob in some time and am very excited to ahve tickets for the April 20 show. I was kinda hoping for a more varied setlist, I have to admit, but I wont be complaining. It is interesting to hear the possiblity of all new arraingements. Hope it is true

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun April 2nd, 2006, 20:36 GMT 

There are a few reviews up on the Dylan Pool board that confirm that Bob was playing organ. I'd love to hear what it sounds like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon April 3rd, 2006, 00:39 GMT 

I will see him for the first time in two days...if he plays anything close to that reno setlist I will be very happy...especially Boots of Spanish Leather....48 hours away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon April 3rd, 2006, 00:43 GMT 

He always ends with Summer Days. I'd find it a big let down to hear that song because I'd know the end is coming.

PostPosted: Mon April 3rd, 2006, 02:37 GMT 

I was utterly overwhelmed by the new Dylan I heard in Reno last night.

This was my sixth show ever, the fifth in four years. I have become accustomed to some frazzled moments amid even more of loudness sometines substituting for inspiration.

Last night, for my debut of Stu Kimball on lead guitar and Denny Freeman on rythm guitar, I was stupefied by the new, astonishing quality of the concert.

And it wasn't just the new members who added intensity and verve, and most of all, incredibly timed technical execution, which they did.

We have, for my experience, an utterly renewed, revivified Bob Dylan, if last night's level of vituoisity can possibly be continued.

Bob on his organ-mode piano, is as good as any studio keyboardest I have ever heard on any of his albums. I unbeliveably focused my binocuars on his hands to try and understand this new dimension to his playing, and saw his bony fingers executing chords and florishes that added an entirely new dimension to the ensemble. No more aimless pounding out of sometimes discordant tones. No more trivial levels of instumental participation by Dylan. He either has taken lessons, has become inspired by some unworldly force or has enlisted on off-stage accomplice to make him sound -- I say again -- as masterful as his greatest recordings' greatest keyboard playing.

His playing of the harmonica has not faded either, although it took more of a sideline tonight than I have heard before, with his organ and vocals such a launch into the stratosphere. But I saw him playing both the keyboard and harmonica at once, and totally proificient at both. I tell you there is something very strange going on. And it is not anything pharmacological on my end.

But the most fantastic news I have to share for anyone wavering on getting in on an upcoming concert is Bob's arrangements and vocals. He has a vivid, newly inspired take on most songs I heard. And where he does not, his new bandmembers do. Rethinking his pieces is not new. But it is now, I believe, ALL better arranged music than versions I heard before.

Even the old war horse rock and roll songs I have sometimes only tolerated, anxious for a more poetic turn, have all been made better by whatever new dynamics are at play here.

And the poetic, delicate, nuanced, complexly layered flavors of Dylan were in evidence, beyond my undared wishes, in something close to half of his selections in Reno. His vocalizations were Picassoeque materstrokes, all. His pentameter was mystical and tear evoking in Tears of Rage, Never Gonna Be the Same Again, and Boots of Spanish Leather, specifically. And for many aspects of many others. Up until last night, I could hope for only one display in a given concert of the repainting of a masterpiece into an even more profound masterpiece. Last night I heard several.

There is nothing I can tell you to make you understand how beautific Dylan was last night.

Last edited by RufusLeeKing on Mon April 3rd, 2006, 18:01 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon April 3rd, 2006, 02:40 GMT 

Wow, that's the most positive account I've heard. I hope it holds out till St. Louis. :lol:

It sounds wonderful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon April 3rd, 2006, 02:43 GMT 
Mercury Member

Wow, thankyou so much for that review. That is the best news I've heard in a while... I can't wait to see him...

What an excellent review, thanks for sharing it. I can't wait to get the mp3s from this show, really have to hear it myself.

Thanks again, glad you had a great night.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon April 3rd, 2006, 04:27 GMT 

its all because of the thread I started under the heading of "Bob ain't no liberace" he realized he had to spiff up his keyboard playing
:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon April 3rd, 2006, 04:33 GMT 

Make You Feel My Love
Highway 61 Revisited
Tears of Rage
Honest With Me
Boots of Spanish Leather
High Water (For Charley Patton)
Never Gonna Be The Same Again
Summer Days

I would probably pass out of exhaustion after this sequence of songs. It's lovely to see "Honest With Me" thrown into the mix instead of it signifying the approach of "Summer Days." I agree that the encore could use a change. How long has Mr. Dylan been closing his shows with "All Along The Watchtower" anyway? I know on occasion he's thrown in a cover to close, but I think he should screw with everybody and open with it just once :wink:

I'm also happy to see "Never Gonna Be The Same Again" on the tour opener. It usually takes a few weeks for the man to get that "risky." Can't wait for the boot to this one - especially to hear the new organ setting on the keyboard.

-Delvis-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon April 3rd, 2006, 04:40 GMT 

Any recordings of the show surfacing yet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon April 3rd, 2006, 05:02 GMT 

DontLookBack66 wrote:
Any recordings of the show surfacing yet?

None yet, that I've found at least.

Post subject: My two cents
PostPosted: Mon April 3rd, 2006, 15:24 GMT 

I totally agree with the positive review of the April 1 Reno show.

This was my 6th Dylan show, and it was, BY FAR, the best I have ever seen him. I am on the hunt for a recording:)

He sang (not mumbled), his phrasing was excellent, his band was tight, the set list was well-paced, and, most of all, he seemed into it, which gives me great pleasure. I turned to my husband after "Maggie's Farm" and said, "his voice is incredible."

Not sure what else to say. It was amazing, and I actually cried a bit, feeling lucky to be there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon April 3rd, 2006, 19:25 GMT 

Coming out of lurkdom to thank RufusLeeKing and angela for their reviews. I will be seeing Bobby for the first time on 4/29 in Jackson, and I am now just that much more excited! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon April 3rd, 2006, 19:46 GMT 

Mississippi Girl wrote:
Coming out of lurkdom to thank RufusLeeKing and angela for their reviews. I will be seeing Bobby for the first time on 4/29 in Jackson, and I am now just that much more excited! :D

I'll be seeing Dylan for the first time in St. Louis. I hope both of our shows are wonderful. You should come out of lurkdom more often. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon April 3rd, 2006, 20:42 GMT 

oh man, so happy to hear you will be seeing Bob for the first time at the Fox. It is such a great place for a show. I was just listening to a few Grateful Dead shows from the Fox and a few times Bob Weir and Phil Lish make comments of how beautiful the place is and once Weir even tells the crowd to not tear anything up because they want to come back, something I have never ehard before

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon April 3rd, 2006, 21:27 GMT 

Everybody that hears I'm going to that show tells me the Fox is pretty awesome. I can't wait. I've found some pictures, which I'm sure don't do it justice, but is still looks incredible. Should be a fun show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue April 4th, 2006, 01:01 GMT 

Awww . . . thanks, Susan! :D I hope so as well!

And, I would come out of lurkdom more often, but I tend to have the same trouble as Buddha - I'm usually just ignored! :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue April 4th, 2006, 02:10 GMT 

So any recordings of the Reno show on the net yet?!?

I would love to hear the show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue April 4th, 2006, 02:50 GMT 

Mississippi Girl wrote:
Awww . . . thanks, Susan! :D I hope so as well!

And, I would come out of lurkdom more often, but I tend to have the same trouble as Buddha - I'm usually just ignored! :cry:

she lurks in the shadows of the dark Mississippi swamps, longing to join the other people......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue April 4th, 2006, 03:19 GMT 

Buddha, how did I know you would show up? :D And really, who says I am not quite comfortable and content in my little corner of the "dark Mississippi swamps" . . .

" . . . the tears on her cheeks are from laughter . . ." :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue April 4th, 2006, 03:22 GMT 

Mississippi Girl wrote:
Buddha, how did I know you would show up? :D And really, who says I am not quite comfortable and content in my little corner of the "dark Mississippi swamps" . . .

" . . . the tears on her cheeks are from laughter . . ." :P

I'm going to be in Biloxi in May for about two weeks. For some Katrina work. 8)