Go to main page
It is currently Tue October 24th, 2017, 09:37 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri August 27th, 2010, 16:28 GMT 
Titanium Member

http://www.theneverendingpool.com/compo ... 5/catid,6/

best version iv heard in a long time

PostPosted: Fri August 27th, 2010, 17:16 GMT 

My fave was Linz earlier this year, but this has good moments and I love it that's it's so close and clear visually.

PostPosted: Fri August 27th, 2010, 17:18 GMT 
Titanium Member

yeah the linz version is great apart from when he fluffs the lyrics

PostPosted: Sat August 28th, 2010, 21:36 GMT 
Mercury Member

Painful to watch. He's trying, but man, its like drawing teeth.

PostPosted: Sun August 29th, 2010, 02:12 GMT 
Titanium Member

YOU don't like it?

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

PostPosted: Sun August 29th, 2010, 02:21 GMT 
Promethium Member

Given the percentage of the time Benny finds these performances painful, it's a wonder he listens to so many of them. At least we can sleep well tonight, knowing that no one will get away with saying they like a contemporary Dylan performance. Benny will not be caught sleeping on duty!

PostPosted: Sun August 29th, 2010, 10:20 GMT 

It's the best executed version yet of the new arrangement but that's not saying a huge amount really imo. Still, not bad

PostPosted: Sun August 29th, 2010, 18:29 GMT 

But as Bennyboy has already stated in other posts he expects songs that were first recorded over fifty years to sound exactly how they did then.

PostPosted: Sun August 29th, 2010, 21:23 GMT 

Desolation Row wrote:
But as Bennyboy has already stated in other posts he expects songs that were first recorded over fifty years to sound exactly how they did then.

That's silly.

PostPosted: Sun August 29th, 2010, 21:23 GMT 
Mercury Member

Desolation Row wrote:

Um, don't ever remember saying that mate.

The thing that really upsets me about this video of Tangled is how utterly weak it is, devoid of any punch or power, with more ham in the delivery than a Pork Farmers Convention performance of Hamlet starring Miss Piggy.

PostPosted: Sun August 29th, 2010, 22:21 GMT 
Promethium Member

Mr_matt wrote:
http://www.theneverendingpool.com/component/option,com_fireboard/Itemid,22/func,view/id,75975/catid,6/

best version iv heard in a long time

MrJudasPriest wrote:
It's the best executed version yet of the new arrangement but that's not saying a huge amount really imo. Still, not bad

Having finally listened to it, those are both correct, as far as I can see. He's doing some of that old fashioned note stretching, twisting, bending thing with a voice that is at times quite clear, and unlike the earlier (2010) versions he seems to have a real handle on how he wants to sing the lead in to the tag line (the "she was standing on the side of the road" sections of the structure). He's in tune with the lyric and doesn't muff a word, though he does drop a big chunk of them (like other 2010 versions) which I frankly don't care for. Presumably it's too keep the song from getting too long but to me the epic sweep of the song is one of it's real strengths. He doesn't seem to mind jamming on HWY 61 till it's far longer..which just seems odd...though I've long since gotten used to that. All in all, this qualifies as a substantial new arrangement, though not in an in-your-face way, and I'm glad he's still able to manage that quite successfully.

PostPosted: Sun August 29th, 2010, 22:49 GMT 

Bennyboy you actually said that when u were slagging off a recent Visions of Johanna

PostPosted: Sun August 29th, 2010, 23:48 GMT 

I'm actually kind of glad he's taken out some of the lyrics. I think we've all heard the song hundreds of times, and honestly, it's kind of refreshing to get the abridged version. And it's good when he does it clearly.

PostPosted: Mon August 30th, 2010, 00:11 GMT 
Titanium Member

I would like to see him throw the microphone from hand to hand more.

PostPosted: Mon August 30th, 2010, 03:58 GMT 
Mercury Member

I would like to see him perform "Must Be Santa." :D

PostPosted: Mon August 30th, 2010, 04:23 GMT 
Titanium Member

Bennyboy wrote:
I don't like how apples taste. Why can't apples taste like something else!? Perhaps if I try them again, they will taste different. If not, I shall complain about it, so the people will know that I still do not like apples!

PostPosted: Mon August 30th, 2010, 08:07 GMT 
Mercury Member

Warren Peace wrote:
Bennyboy wrote:
I don't like how apples taste. Why can't apples taste like something else!? Perhaps if I try them again, they will taste different. If not, I shall complain about it, so the people will know that I still do not like apples!

Logic just called. It's been crying into it's pillow every night since you've been gone.

PostPosted: Mon August 30th, 2010, 11:24 GMT 

That performance left me with a smile because he put in a bit of effort and I could understand most of the words he was saying, not always a given with modern Bob. The arm gestures are pretty good, he seems to be connecting the audience a bit here.

But I don't want to listen to the BOTT version because it will just sadden me. A song which had so much power, as Benny put it, has been reduced to something as mundane as shredded wheat. Still waiting for a slice of modern Bob that matches the White House performance.

PostPosted: Mon August 30th, 2010, 13:10 GMT 
Promethium Member

procatcher31 wrote:
I'm actually kind of glad he's taken out some of the lyrics. I think we've all heard the song hundreds of times...

I get your point, but by that logic he could just sing the opening line of most songs :D

I usually don't mind when he shortens a song, but every time I hear the 2010 Tangled I feel the song's had it's wings clipped, though I really do like the arrangement otherwise.

PostPosted: Mon August 30th, 2010, 21:33 GMT 

smoke wrote:
procatcher31 wrote:
I'm actually kind of glad he's taken out some of the lyrics. I think we've all heard the song hundreds of times...

I get your point, but by that logic he could just sing the opening line of most songs :D

I usually don't mind when he shortens a song, but every time I hear the 2010 Tangled I feel the song's had it's wings clipped, though I really do like the arrangement otherwise.

:lol: I suppose you're right about that. That's a good point. I guess I just grew tired of hearing the song in almost the same spot every year, and having it be anywhere from 7 to 13 minutes. It's refreshing to have a 5-minute version, in my opinion. But it would be interesting to hear what it'd be like with all the verses.

PostPosted: Mon August 30th, 2010, 23:13 GMT 
Promethium Member

Believe me I hear you, and I haven't really missed the tune since it went out of rotation for awhile. The thing is there's no law saying it has to have 20 instrumental choruses :lol:

PostPosted: Mon August 30th, 2010, 23:19 GMT 

smoke wrote:
Believe me I hear you, and I haven't really missed the tune since it went out of rotation for awhile. The thing is there's no law saying it has to have 20 instrumental choruses :lol:

:lol: I think that's what's been bothering me about the song. Back in 1990, it had all its verses and clocked in at about 4:20...those were the days.

PostPosted: Wed February 8th, 2017, 20:34 GMT 

Bumping this thread because I found what I assume is the "Tangled" from this Ontario 2010 show:

https://youtu.be/a4p1rXud_Bw

I think it's a confident version with some insistent harmonica work. (I may have a screw loose, but I generally like the staccato bark era just fine).

PostPosted: Fri February 10th, 2017, 13:11 GMT 
Promethium Member

If your gonna do the same song a billion times, mixing it up a bit really truly helps.
Just another reason to love Bob!