Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue December 12th, 2017, 04:44 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: Merle Haggard
PostPosted: Fri January 28th, 2005, 01:44 GMT 

Just want to compliment Bob on a great choice for a tour partner; most of the younger crowd (of which I am not one) wouldn't be too familiar with Merle's music and his C&W sound. These two go back a long, long ways and with the late great Johnny Cash dead and gone, there aren't too many of the great ones left for Dylan to tour with; he was with Willie last summer. This should be great fun and certainly they will duet a few tunes.

Who has seen Merle Haggard and what did you think of him?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri January 28th, 2005, 19:25 GMT 
Young Fan here, I agreeed with Willie as a tour partner, because alot of people i know love both dylan and willie. I have seen both together and seperate. However, I don't know about haggard, it would seem that the two audiences are pretty opposite...... Dylan and Haggard don't seem to go together, the way Dylan and Nelson or Dylan and Cash do.

I have seen haggard once, i had free tickets. He was good, great songwriter, but some of the lyric content in his songs, and his crowd is alot different than what was around for willie and dylan. Let Dylan tour with John Prine or Kris Kristofferson, they go together better than Dylan and haggard, just my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun January 30th, 2005, 03:51 GMT 

Dear "Guest", it would be nice to know who you are; if you've taken the time to log in to this site, please register and come back often.

Your comment: "I don't know about Haggard, it would seem that the two audiences are pretty opposite" and also "his crowd is alot different than what was around for...Dylan" - THAT'S THE WHOLE IDEA! Bob wants to mix it up and introduce people to new different things! He is all about the idea of "different". People said the same things about Phil Lesh's crowd and Paul Simon's crowd but after those tours, everyone loved what they saw. I wouldn't be surprised to see Merle & Bob play some Hank Williams songs (like Bob did at Bonneroo last summer) or some Western Swing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun January 30th, 2005, 12:05 GMT 

Well, I hope that the concerts are not limited with Dylan songs only like last year with Willie. I love Willie and his songs but unfortunately Willie was just guitar player and backing singer...Maybe Merle get the chance to sing his own stuff.

Post subject: Hank Williams
PostPosted: Sat February 5th, 2005, 15:06 GMT 

Just a hunch, but as stated above I believe Merle and Bob will perform Hank Williams songs together, maybe You Win Again, or maybe they could sing a Merle Haggard song Sing Me Back Home (like he did at the Bonneroo festival last year). Having just finished reading Chronicles, I was reminded that at his "roots" Bob is a cowboy and that he grew up listening to Western Swing and Hank Williams in Minnesota.

Post subject: Not Bad For An Old Man!
PostPosted: Wed March 9th, 2005, 02:58 GMT 

Merle did not disappoint - great set and not too long, joked with the crowd and Bob in tribute played Sing Me Back Home as the 2nd encore!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed March 9th, 2005, 19:31 GMT 

I've never seen Merle play and I don't know his music well. I have seen Bob do 18 shows........Bob picked Willie last summer and I went to the Cooperstown show and loved every minute of it, except for the no beer part. Bob picked Merle for this tour , so I'm pretty psyched to check out Merle (and Amos Lee, too) while I wait for Bob. Really psyched.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed March 9th, 2005, 20:35 GMT 

I agree about the Cooperstown gig but I managed to sneak a hip flask full of Johnnie Walker in so was not fazed about the beer ban and did not have to queue for drinks. I came from Oxford and stayed in a guesthouse. The owner was a Dylan fan and he organised a garden party with loads of booze and a couple of guitars and this was great as all the bars seemed to close early. When I was eating breakfast at a cafe in the morning, a great recording of the concert was playing. First shows of tours can be dodgy but I thought this show was great and I loved Bob's joke about Stu buying a baseball bat for his wife. Am coming to Chicago this time round and am really looking forward to a visit to the windy city.

For doin' what she did

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu March 10th, 2005, 13:51 GMT 
Titanium Member

I too thought the Cooperstown show was great, spent most of time before the show in the local joints, so I didn't really need much more by the time I got into the show. Did anyone see the guy with the train set up in his yard over by where the buses were parked? It was really cool, and I asked him if Bob had been by to check it out, he said no, but the other members of the band had been there. I went by myself to this show and met alot of fun locals. :D

Post subject: Merle's Seattle Sets
PostPosted: Fri March 11th, 2005, 13:09 GMT 

Merle has received some very good reviews for his sets, song selections, and jovial attitude on stage - people are really enjoying him! His band is supposed to be awesome, counry & western flavor (with an emphasis on "western"). Bob Wills, anyone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue March 15th, 2005, 16:22 GMT 

Haggard's set in Portland was first class all the way....what a band of hard core country pros he has..they were slick--even had backup singers--

Haggard was in great voice and disposition--looking tanned and fit..not showing nearly 68 years of hard living...he was relaxed and easy going and got good crowd response with his shuckin' and jiving between songs that was a like a greatest hits album....He was a real friendly fella for sure.....maybe....too friendly...I got the impression he was trying to trick the audience into letting their guard down...like he was trying to con them into thinking they were safe...but, what really set the alarm bells off in my head that I'd better be on my toes was that about half way through his set, he primed the audience with chatter about a special guest that was in the house and he wanted to bring him on stage....old Merle kept gently teasing the crowd who really wanted to know who it was....then he said, "ladies and gentlemen, here's BUCK OWENS!!!"..and this old gackster about 6 foot six wearing a big old cowboy hat, and a coat made out of the skin of a fresh ritually sacrificed Pinto Pony took the stage waving at everybody as they applauded. Yeah, man, that's when I knew for sure that this wasnt a concert,. this was some sort of takeover by creatures from outer space....Buck Owens was really some imperial starship warrior from the planet Cruton who was here to oversee the invasion of the earth...Haggard and his band were just wearing suits that made them look like humans. I wouldn't be surprised one bit if aliens had taken over their bodies and Dylan's body too....it was just too weird there...Also, when the bands were playing I kept getting this vague metallic taste in my mouth...and very fine threads of purple colored lighting were arcing around the rafters of the auditorium.......

PostPosted: Wed March 16th, 2005, 02:45 GMT 

Thanks GFD for filling us in. I can't wait for the tour to get to this side of the country! Meantime, can I get some of what you have??? I would like to see those purple streaks to....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed March 16th, 2005, 11:17 GMT 

a little lsd will make you see all the purple stripes you want

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu March 17th, 2005, 02:36 GMT 

bobdylan64 wrote:
a little lsd will make you see all the purple stripes you want

well, yeah, it prolly would, but that does'nt explain the weird metallic taste I got in my mouth

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu March 17th, 2005, 04:46 GMT 
GFD: Weird metallic taste in your mouth? This was when the band was playing, was it?

Maybe you've had dental work done. You know, fillings. Of a metallic substance that reacts to vibrations of bands and silverware of different kinds. I'll get a metallic taste sometimes myself and that seems to be the cause.

I kinda doubt it was Buck Owens.

But you never know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu March 17th, 2005, 05:03 GMT 
GFD, Okay I can talk freely now. They're gone now. Buck Owen's hench men.

Disregard that last post. They made me say that.

:twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue March 22nd, 2005, 04:52 GMT 

I saw two nights in Oakland and the tuesday night show I did get there in time for Merle however I couldn't get into his set for some odd reason it was way too much country for me to take, it was probably me. The next night I did come later and caught the last song of his set I was more receptive that night. If you see multiple nights you probably want to come early at least one night and come in by nine the rest of the nights IMO you have to see Merle at least one night if you go more than one night. Otherwise if your into Merle come early.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue March 22nd, 2005, 20:58 GMT 

saw the Tuesday Bob Dylan Show in Oakland...Missed half of Merle. Wished I was there for all of it. 15 years ago, I wouldn't even think of being at a Bob Dylan show, much less a Merle Haggard show, and wouldn't even know who he was! But, after my transformation to a more open-minded music lover those years ago, I have no problems with opening up to a band whose average age is closer to 70 than 20. And they were all over the spectrum - groovy, plaintive, and sad, and all with such smooothness. I had no idea what to expect, but I was impressed, and soothed, by Merle's great voice, and that guitar playing! Emotion came first for Merle on that guitar, runs and chops second, although he has good soul chops. But when compared to his flashier lead guitarist, Merle did more for me. I had no idea he was such a soulful guitar player. In the same way that Neil Young is not "technically" great, but emotionally can knock the wind out of you.

You have to love and respect the old bands. When I saw the Funk Brothers open up for the Dead at New Years in 2003/2004, I was overwhelmed by their crystal clear strength and smoothness, something you can only achieve I guess by having those years behind you to call from. The Strangers hit me the same way. The drummer looks like he's from the Sopranos, but can nail the boogie beat to a T. Might have to look for a flac file of their set!

I'm going to say that, what may turn people off to Merle, are his fearless points of view, like the ones that may conflict with most of Bob Dylan's audience. I can imagine that Fightin Side of Me didnt go over too well with most folks. I actually think it may have dampened his reception a little bit at the end of the show - did he get a standing O anyways? Dont remember. People, this man loves freedom. Don't you love freedom too? You love freedom, dont you? If you're a good American, you do. Freedom to stand up for your country, freedom for guns, apple pie, and crying bald eagles? Just kidding folks. I must admit I didn't embrace this song entirely, but smiled, because this guy is in the same vein as Dylan - says shit and doesn't give a x. But he is a open-minded guy, lest you believe otherwise. Check out the link to his interview on the ExpRain main page. He doesn't align himself with any side, and that is admirable.

and you know when someone called out "Mama Tried", Merle thought to himself, "F-ckin' Deadheads..."

Maybe it was Bob Weir, who was in the audience that night.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun April 3rd, 2005, 23:16 GMT 
Gray Flannel Dwarf wrote:
... Yeah, man, that's when I knew for sure that this wasnt a concert,. this was some sort of takeover by creatures from outer space....Buck Owens was really some imperial starship warrior from the planet Cruton who was here to oversee the invasion of the earth...Haggard and his band were just wearing suits that made them look like humans. I wouldn't be surprised one bit if aliens had taken over their bodies and Dylan's body too....it was just too weird there...Also, when the bands were playing I kept getting this vague metallic taste in my mouth...and very fine threads of purple colored lighting were arcing around the rafters of the auditorium.......

Hey GFD, I was at the Chicago concert last night and didn't get that metellic taste even once.

Buck Owens wasn't there. THAT would explain it. And Merle didn't do anything "bad" that I could tell other than sing Okie from Muskogee. Everybody looooved that. I was chewing on a Twizzler during that song so it's hard to tell...

:) :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon April 4th, 2005, 08:00 GMT 

Jim W wrote:

Hey GFD, I was at the Chicago concert last night and didn't get that metellic taste even once.

Buck Owens wasn't there. THAT would explain it. And Merle didn't do anything "bad" that I could tell other than sing Okie from Muskogee. Everybody looooved that. I was chewing on a Twizzler during that song so it's hard to tell...

:) :wink:

Hmmm,. they're a crafty and cunning bunch..not likely to make the same mistake twice....as I said before, I sincerely doubted who trotted out in Portland was the real Buck Owens, but an IMPOSTER!...The Metallic taste? Well, that's a good indicater that there is some atomic fusion going on near by...or maybe it's fission...I dunno...Someone should sneak a geiger counter into a show and maybe check the buses with it too...If we get high radiation readings around those buses then we'll know we are on to them--except they will know we are on to them too. So, play it cool.