Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu October 19th, 2017, 12:56 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: Not Dark Yet-live?
PostPosted: Fri January 21st, 2005, 20:58 GMT 

I've been to 20+ shows but have yet to hear versions of Not Dark Yet, Standing in the Doorway, If You See Her, Say Hello, and Shooting Star along with many other; but these are the ones he actually plays from time to time that I really want to hear. Can anyone tell me how they stand up to the studio recordings, or are the arrangements generally different? Also if someone could point me to particular shows in which good versions of these were played it would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun January 23rd, 2005, 23:33 GMT 

standing in the doorway is one of my favorites live as well as not dark yet.

I know i've heard them both. a particular good ' standing' I remember was at a show at BU in either the fall of 2000 or winter of 2001. And I believe this past march he played not dark yet at the avalon in boston I think it was the 24th.

I too am still waiting to hear say hello and shooting star

hope this helps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon January 24th, 2005, 08:50 GMT 

Hi there...

Both Standing In The Doorway & Not Dark Yet stick pretty much to the Time Out of Mind arrangements slow broody arrangements. Unfortunately Standing in the Doorway is often abbreviated reducing it to a mere three verses when I've heard it. Similarly Shooting Star is instantly recognisable and is sung to the same melody as the Oh Mercy version although it has a little flourish between the verses not featured on the album. Dylan usually brings great feeling to the middle eight ("listen to the egine etc...) and sometimes neglects to play the harmonica on live performances. In addition to this the middle eight and the final verse get two outings. If You See Her, Say Hello gets the most radical rearrangement. It becomes a breezy mid-paced rather up tempo number with some minor lyric changes. I actually prefer this version to the one on Blood On The Tracks. I think Dylan first aired this incarnation in Japan in 1994 although it was first hinted at in the 1978 arrangement of the song.

Post subject: Standing in the doorway
PostPosted: Mon February 7th, 2005, 21:48 GMT 

If you go on to his offical site, in to performances you can listen to a live version from japan 2001. sounds great!!!!

Again one of my favourites!!

Post subject: Not Dark
PostPosted: Sat February 12th, 2005, 01:15 GMT 

The Standing the Doorway from Masked and Anonymous is tight. I heard they taped more than 20 songs for that session wouldn't that be sweet to have a boot of that session or release. If there is one please let me know.