Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue October 17th, 2017, 01:47 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: keyboards or guitar
PostPosted: Tue January 11th, 2005, 17:55 GMT 
seen bob in belfast last summer,the 3rd time i have seen him in ireland and he was brilliant.A rare tears of rage and an excellent every grain of sand
more than made up for a poor view.
but it would be great to see him pick up the guitar,does everyone now
think his guitar playing days are behind him?,has bob spoken on the issue?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue January 11th, 2005, 18:34 GMT 
The guitar days may very well be over. I heard that he has arthritis and it effects his playing. Maybe in the future I could see him picking up his axe for 1 or 2 numbers during a show but ditching the keyboards all together probably won't happen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed January 12th, 2005, 13:12 GMT 

I saw him 2002 on guitar and 2003 behind keyboard and I must say that the keyboard concert was better. Fred (he was still the second guitar player) and Larry were great. Two guitars are enough. The concert was amazing. Bob behind the keyboard is, I think, the perfect place for him. 2002 when he still played guitar it was great, too...but I like the sound of the band more when he is playing keyboard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed January 12th, 2005, 14:06 GMT 
Titanium Member

I've seen both as well, but boy do I sure like lookin' at those skinny legs of his while he is doin' his thing with his guitar, wonder what he has named her?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed January 12th, 2005, 14:18 GMT 

Yeah, of course, I love seeing him playing guitar and his "dance moves". He is a great dancer. But I also love seeing him behind the keyboard where he danced, too. His body always is shaking, his feet and head are moving all the time. It's great to watch him while he's performing.

Nonetheless I like the sound more and the songs have more power when he is playing keyboard. I mean I saw the best versions of "Desolation Row", "Summer Days", "Don't Think Twice" and "It's Alright, Ma" at the 2003 concert when he played keyboard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed January 12th, 2005, 15:59 GMT 
I'm surprised we're even discussing this question. GUITAR HANDS DOWN!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu January 13th, 2005, 00:52 GMT 
Anonymous wrote:
The guitar days may very well be over. I heard that he has arthritis and it effects his playing. Maybe in the future I could see him picking up his axe for 1 or 2 numbers during a show but ditching the keyboards all together probably won't happen.

It it were arthritis, he wouldn't be able to play keyboard either. In fact, I bet keyboard is harder than guitar with arthritis. I think he just realizes he has 2 kick-ass guitar players & doesn't need to play guitar. Or else he's just continuing his pattern of doing things that aren't expected of him. I wouldn't be surprised if one of these days he randomly reconfigures the band & all of a sudden is playing guitar again. For now, the band has a great sound & doesn't need to change.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu January 13th, 2005, 04:42 GMT 
Tommy D-Funk wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

It it were arthritis, he wouldn't be able to play keyboard either. In fact, I bet keyboard is harder than guitar with arthritis. I think he just realizes he has 2 kick-ass guitar players & doesn't need to play guitar. Or else he's just continuing his pattern of doing things that aren't expected of him. I wouldn't be surprised if one of these days he randomly reconfigures the band & all of a sudden is playing guitar again. For now, the band has a great sound & doesn't need to change.

I too heard Bob suffers from arthritis. Why do you think his keyboards are turned so low in the mix? You can't even hear what he's playing. I would estimate for 90% of a typical Dylan concert he's banging on the keys senselessly but the sound man has Bob's keyboard turned down so low that it does't matter if he's playing or not. I'm not slagging Bob in anyway but really, if you read the reviews on Bill Pagel's site most of the reviewers comment on how inaudible Bob's keyboards were during the show. Your only comment that may hold some creedence is the fact that Bob does the unexpected...however, I may consider this wishful thinking.
Bob will not play the guitar for an entire 90 minutes ever again. He has the hands of a 63 year old man and he just can't do it anymore. It's sad, I know, but it's the truth. He may as well lose the keyboards and just stand at the mike ala Robert Plant or Roger Daltry. This way he isn't fooling anyone. I know I'll get flack for this statement but I also know that the truth hurts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu January 13th, 2005, 09:03 GMT 

Bobs own comment on using a keyboard is that it's just the sound he wants to get at the moment. Looking at pictures of his hands there don't appear to be any signs of arthritis. (If you want to see arthritis check out Keith Richards hands - and he doesn't stop playing!) Of course Bob has a very long standing back problem and this may be the reason he doesn't strap on a guitar anymore. It's not unusual for traditional Spanish guitarists to play until they're very elderly without any ill effects so I couldn't accept the notion that's it's simply the result of being 63. It's below retirement age in the UK you know. There are guys mining coal at 65 (and in the US I've seen people working into their 80s!).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu January 13th, 2005, 12:25 GMT 

Quote:
New York, NY: What's the reason Dylan plays keyboards now and no guitar?

David Gates: he told me a lot about that. basically it has to do with his guitar not giving him quite the fullness of sound he was wanting at the bottom. (six strings on a guitar, ten fingers on a piano.) he's thought of hiring a keyboard player so he doesn't have to do it himself, but hasn't been able to figure out who—most keyboard players, he says, like to be soloists, and he wants a very basic sound. he says he wants to tweak the sound some, because he's not quite satisfied with how the guitars and keyboard are sounding together.

That's from the guy who interviewed him for the newsweek piece. Taken from http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6099027/site/newsweek/

I personally much prefer the sound that the piano brings to certain songs. He does have two of the most accomplished guitarists going, and you don't really need 3 guys playing. I'd love if he played one or two songs acoustic the way he used to with Charlie and Larry every show, but can fully understand how he has become bored of playing and listening to his guitar playing.

Post subject: guitar or piano
PostPosted: Fri January 14th, 2005, 00:46 GMT 

thanks for the link ,
wheat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon January 17th, 2005, 15:10 GMT 

Putting the possibility of arthritis aside, I wouldn't think that age would have much to do with playing the guitar; blokes like Son House and Skip James played great guitar in their old age. I think Bob is just looking for something new in his performances. Personally, I like seeing him up there with a guitar. Call me old fashioned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun February 27th, 2005, 14:19 GMT 

I'm a guitar guy all the way. Some of the first songs I learned to play and still play to this day are Dylan songs. Hope he picks up a guitar and plays w/ Merle Haggard at the Pantages in Los Angeles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon February 28th, 2005, 14:13 GMT 

Bob's always been a bit unpredictable, so who knows what'll happen next. I will say the piano show I saw was better than the guitar show overall. And as far dancin', Bob'll still come out from behind that keboard with his harp from time to time and start shakin' it. Whether it's the arthritis or restlessness, he just seems a bit more confident on piano at the moment. Hey, if Bob's happy - we're happy.