Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Mon December 18th, 2017, 03:12 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed April 11th, 2007, 18:43 GMT 
Titanium Member

Not to nitpick...but that is what we do on this forum, after all.
As an obsessive fan stranded in the Midwestern US, I get a real kick out of checking Bob Dylan's European set lists every night he as a show. I know I'm not alone in this.
Back a few years ago it was a much more interesting and rewarding and endeavor because what would be the opening song? "Drifter's Escape"? And while the encores were roughly formulaic--"LARS," "Watchtower" and an audience-pleaser of some kind--they were much more varied, maybe including a version of "Mr. Tambourine Man" or "It Ain't Me Babe" or "Lenny Bruce" or "Blind Willie McTell" or....
Just complaining, as many of us are, that the set lists are predictable these days, and it's not even just the encores. Not that I don't like "Cat's In The Well" (I'm not being sarcastic, I actually like it a lot) or "Modern Times," but I miss the old "John Wesley Harding" and "Nashville Skyline" classics....
or just throw in "Love Minus Zero" one night. Who doesn't love that song?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed April 11th, 2007, 19:41 GMT 

I'd give my right arm to hear something like Love Minus Zero but i think i'd be equally disappointed if i didn't hear LARS or AATWT when i go to se him for the first time on saturday. Perhaps this is why the encore isn't being varried?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed April 11th, 2007, 20:28 GMT 

you do know that even if he did throw in something you really liked, it still wouldn't be spontaneous, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed April 11th, 2007, 21:56 GMT 
Titanium Member

You mean he would have it planned out? Yea, then I guess I wish he had some other songs planned out.
And it's not that he doesn't play things I love nor that I don't want to hear the encores he currently plays.
I think I'm just jealous that I'm not in Scotland right now.

Post subject: Encores & playlists
PostPosted: Wed April 11th, 2007, 22:13 GMT 

At the beginning of the Never Ending Tour you knew the show was over when Bob sang Forever Young. He never came back on stage after that one. Seems like that went on for several years.

We are real fans. We check the playlists after each performance. We care if he upsings the ending words of a verse or snarls it out. We are fans approaching dilettante status. Perhaps we should back off and just go with the flow.

Someday, I know Bob will stride to the front of the stage, look out over the crowd and ask, "What do ya wanna hear tonight? I'm up for anything!" We will then shout out 500 different titles and he will play them all. But what could he then do for an encore?

- Fabe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu April 12th, 2007, 15:41 GMT 
Titanium Member

fabe... i bet u wish u were at TOADS PLACE that time....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu April 12th, 2007, 15:48 GMT 

Bob isn't playing the encores for long time fans. A lot of people seeing Bob are seeing him for the 1st time, and are casual fans and might be seeing him just to see him. What I am trying to say is that he plays LARS and Watchtower because those are the songs I would say he is most famous for, so he can't not play them for all of those 1st and last timers.

He knows that us hard-core fans will see him no matter what the encore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu April 12th, 2007, 18:01 GMT 
Titanium Member

Thanks for the response, Fabe.
It's nice to know that he appreciates fans. I believe that he does, in spite of all the things I hear like "He doesn't even acknowledge the audience!" or "He's not even trying!"

"I can't stand to play arenas, but I do play 'em. But I know that's not where music's supposed to be. It's not meant to be heard in football stadiums, it's not 'Hey, how are you doin' tonight, Cleveland?' Nobody gives a shit how you're doin' tonight in Cleveland.'"
--The Rolling Stone interview

He's dealing with the burden of mass popularity.

And I can't seem to find it and I don't want to misquote, but he said something about how the only people who he knows appreciate him are the ones who are at his concerts night after night. It seems self-evident, but the closest connection a performer can make to his audience is by actually performing.

On top of that, I saw him at the Beacon Theater in summer of 2005 and his closing words were "Bye, friends..."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu April 12th, 2007, 18:55 GMT 

If setlist predictability is a parameter for critiquing a Dylan show, then we should be dissatisfied with all those '66 and '75 concerts. But we know well that Isis and many other songs would never become what they did without the frequency with which they've been performed.
The current encores are good closers for the show, and it's quite clear from concertgoers' reviews that people are getting a real kick out of them. To the casual fan they sometimes go so far as to give serious thrills, hooking him/her on Dylan for good.
And, even if these days we may tend to skip LARS or Watchtower when listening to these shows, 20 years from now fans will probably be happy to reminisce about having seen 21st century Bob play these legendary songs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri April 13th, 2007, 02:05 GMT 
Titanium Member

Just for the record, since I started this thread, I am entirely in favor (as if my opinion is important) of Bob Dylan playing "LARS" and "Watchtower" every night. And "Thunder," for that matter. My complaint, if it was a complaint, was that I liked when there was an uncertain third encore, and it was to me always a surprise, kind of like Christmas.

In any event, at least we've opened up a discussion, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri April 13th, 2007, 02:08 GMT 
Mercury Member

Solo Teem wrote:
Just for the record, since I started this thread, I am entirely in favor (as if is important) of Bob Dylan playing "LARS" and "Watchtower" every night.

I agree. I think these are the songs that we'd instantly miss as soon as they were gone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri April 13th, 2007, 15:24 GMT 

helix23 wrote:
Bob isn't playing the encores for long time fans. A lot of people seeing Bob are seeing him for the 1st time, and are casual fans and might be seeing him just to see him. What I am trying to say is that he plays LARS and Watchtower because those are the songs I would say he is most famous for, so he can't not play them for all of those 1st and last timers.

He knows that us hard-core fans will see him no matter what the encore.

I don't really have a problem with him playing those two every night, but surely a song such as Blowin' in the Wind is at least equally as famous, and he hasn't played it since 2003. Perhaps he could interchange Watchtower with it once in a while?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri April 13th, 2007, 15:58 GMT 

The interesting question is does he enjoy playing LARS and Watchtower a hundred times a year. I can't imagine that he does, and if I'm right I don't think he should play them. If I'm wrong, then I'm all for it.

Post subject: encores
PostPosted: Sat April 14th, 2007, 05:55 GMT 

When did he do spontaneous encores? I don't remember this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat April 14th, 2007, 08:48 GMT 
Titanium Member

Check the tour guide from spring/summer 2005, for example.

One night he plays the two expected encores plus "Sing Me Back Home"; the next night there are only two encores, "LARS" and "Rainy Day Women"; another night "Watchtower" and "Every Grain Of Sand."

Perhaps "spontaneous" isn't the word.

But there was a second or third slot in the encores that could be filled with any number of songs. That's all.

PostPosted: Wed February 15th, 2017, 09:43 GMT 
Promethium Member

Solo Teem wrote:
Perhaps "spontaneous" isn't the word.

Perhaps semi-unpredictable is the word? Either way, it's been awhile.

PostPosted: Wed February 15th, 2017, 09:58 GMT 

the only real spontaneous encore I ever witnessed (in 125 shows) was Leipzig 1998. After the end of the show the venue lights were already turn on again, people were leaving the venue, most instruments were already put in their cases, the amps on stage were already switched off and the roadies were beginning to deconstruct the stage – suddenly the lights went off again, people rushed back to the front, Bob and the band reappeared and played Blowin' In The Wind as a final encore. Tony had to play his electric bass because his acoustic one as well as his stand-up bass were already in their cases or even in the truck. (I guess this is a strong indicator that that encore was really spontaneous. And case it was planned nobody had informed the technicians, the roadies etc.)

All the other (few) times an extra encore was played the reason seemed to be that the regular show was a little shorter than usual (because many shorter songs had been performed)