Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed October 18th, 2017, 11:14 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon November 22nd, 2004, 16:11 GMT 

for the good of the cause:

It's always uncomfortable to do this, but if it were me, I'd want some helpful feedback too. I'm sure it's annoying and I AM in no way a 'Bob snob'....but here goes...

'Songs' that are Thumbs Down (in my opinion Only, and who am I? :wink: ) (Note: words and images are different, I"m only talking in context of 'song' quality as is put to melody and performed with musical accompaniment.)

Maggies Farm (has always grinded on my nerves, sorry :(
Stuck inside Mobile (too long too monotonous)
Thin Man (interesting lyric, cool imagery, but boring as a song)
dogs run free (good song but a snoozer live)
Highway 61 (too over-the top raccous, cacophonous, monotonous)

Sorry, there's not much else in the guy's 500 + songs that I would criticize. Please forgive. I feel blessed to have discovered his music and he is one of my favoritest :) people in the whole wide world. Carry on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon November 22nd, 2004, 16:21 GMT 
Titanium Member

Don't apologize for your opinion, Jack. Many have expressed their's, and not quite so eloquently on these BD discussion boards. If I did not believe that Bob is The Master that all should learn from, I would tend to agree with your list, you have valid points. However, other similar lists contained some excellent songs.

As long as the word of Bob continues to spread is the eye on the prize.

Peace

Claudette

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon November 22nd, 2004, 17:41 GMT 

One I forgot that should be added to the list -- "Leopard Skin Pill-Box Hat".

This is one for the 12-bar blues song category that get the Thumbs Down too. The words are cool, but the song is boring. Lonesome Day Blues and Cry Awhile could fall into this category, but it would based more on them being 'negative' songs with no resolution.

A 'Negative' feeling song can be really good if it has some kind of therapeutic or cathartic quality. Without that kind of resolution, the listener may end up actually feeling bad. Most blues songs have the opposite effect. In the end you feel healed, inspired, moved. Thus, yielding a positive effect.

A song like Positively 4th St. is negative, but has a positive effect on the listener. It's extremely cathartic.

Moonlight, Floater, Bye and Bye run into that jazzy category that could use some constructive criticism. In a breath it's easy to say these are brilliant songs, crafted with precison and care, But somehow I dunno they just don't .... I mean they could be.... :? The lyrics are intriguing. The images wonderful, but do these songs translate well live? They're rooted in jazz. I'm not a big fan of jazz. Respect it 100% and totally blown away and mystified by some of the jazz greats, but just not moved by it personally. (except for Miles Davis, Billie Holliday, Etta James, Wes Montgomery, and Nina Simone).

As I'm saying this though I realized how much I liked Bob's work with the Wynton Marselis group. So, again I'm confused.

Anyway, now i'm getting carried away. sorry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon November 22nd, 2004, 18:26 GMT 
Sorry, Jack I have to diagree on Pill Box Hat. That is one of the most rockingest songs ever produced. Lyrics are hilarious as well as biting. I try not to read to much into the scientific elements of his mucial writings. After all, it is all just variations on a theme. I just love when he lets loose and lets it fly. Wish he would let some of it loose to fly on me. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon November 22nd, 2004, 18:28 GMT 
Titanium Member

OOPS, guess I forgot to log in.