Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri November 17th, 2017, 19:40 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon December 20th, 2010, 15:41 GMT 

I'm a little late on this, having been on vacation much of last week, but in case you missed it, here's a link to a Wall Street Journal article on the elusive Eddie G. our one-time produce of TTRH...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 82942.html

A few thoughts sparked from my reading the article...

I was amused that Eddie's first mention of a record was the Mighty Sparrow's "Jack Palance," which was played on the "Famous People" show.

The kimono gets pulled a little further open with the WSJ reporter noting, "...Much of the material for the 100 episodes was culled from Mr. Gorodetsky's own record collection..." a notation that a year or so ago would have probably incensed the TTRH producers, who were obsessed with keeping the illusion alive that the show's music selections were coming solely from Mr. D. Be interesting to find whether Eddie actually slipped up and said that, or whether it's speculation on the reporter's part. In either case, I personally believe it true.

Not that it would matter except to the TTRH crazies (such as I :lol: ), but the WSJ reporter misses the opportunity to make the "Christmas Party with Eddie G." / TTRH connection after mentioning the compilation. "Christmas Party with Eddie G" was the only issue from the Strikin' It Rich label, owned by Bob Dylan.

The 1990 compilation, later re-issued in 1996, was in many ways a precursor of what would become the idea for TTRH. The press release announcing the formation of Strikin' It Rich stated that it would be, "releasing rare and interesting rhythm and blues material," presumably much of it originating from Gorodetsky's massive record collection, and probably with the idea that the label's releases would be curated by Gorodetsky and Dylan himself. Strikin' It Rich's goal of "releasing rare and interesting rhythm and blues material," fizzled out after Christmas Party with Eddie G. and would remain nascent for a decade before being revived for the genesis of Theme Time Radio Hour.

And just again to emphasize Eddie's influence on TTRH, his "Holiday List" which is a sidebar to the main article, lists five out of a dozen songs that were played on the TTRH Christmas/New Year's Special.