Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed October 18th, 2017, 09:28 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: the greek mythology
PostPosted: Mon August 31st, 2009, 15:15 GMT 

hello listeners!

does anybody know which show it was that 'his lordship' retold the story of joseph and his coat of many colours? i am actually asking because on the same episode he retold an old greek myth and i remember thinking the story was brilliant. would like to hear it again but dont fancy spending 100 hours doing it.

thanks for help.

was just wondering also if bob has ever refered to himself in any of the shows?? in the 3rd person?
i am sure he must be a link in some of the stories he tells about artist, just wondered if has ever had to mention himself. I think he has never played any of his songs

Post subject: Re: the greek mythology
PostPosted: Mon August 31st, 2009, 16:29 GMT 

Can't help you with the Joseph story. Two possibilities are The Bible show and the show on colors.

He did get much more comfortable integrating the DJ persona with the singer/songwriter/musical legend persona as the show developed. He identified with a Hoagy Carmichael story about songwriting and talked about personal relationships with various musicians.

To my recollection Blowin' in the Wind (instrumental version on on recorder) played on the Days of the Week show was the only Dylan composition he played. He also sang a cover of Take Me Out to the Ball Game on the baseball show.

Post subject: Re: the greek mythology
PostPosted: Tue September 1st, 2009, 12:32 GMT 

I believe he tells the story of Joseph and the coat in the "Joe" episode (Season 2), and that the Greek legend you mention is that of Sisyphus, which he Our Host retells in that show.

Absolutely Sweet Marie is (ahem) absolutely right that the closest Mr. D. came to playing one of his own songs was his "live" performance of the opening notes of "Blowin' in the Wind" on the recorder during "Days of the Week."

The three seasons of TTRH are studded with allusions to Dylan and Dylan's work, such as the first song opening the series, Muddy Waters "Blow Wind Blow." Of course, given the depth of Mr. D.'s catalog, you'd be hard-pressed to find a theme that you couldn't use to make some sort of Dylanesque allusion. And as ASM also notes, during the course of the show's run Mr. D.'s on-air persona gradually evolved from anonymous `50s-era deejay to a more comfortable "Bob Dylan." I don't recall him ever talking about a work or artist in direct relation to himself or his work, but he joked and spoke about various things, people and songs that were obviously important to him, such as Joan Baez, Woody Guthrie, Roger McGuinn, harmonicas, "commercial affiliations," and so on.