Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sun December 17th, 2017, 10:13 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed August 5th, 2009, 12:57 GMT 

As you probably already know, ISIS magazine, which has reliably broken news in the past, is reporting of the possibility of a Dylan "Christmas" album. "Christmas" is in quotes because it's unclear whether - if the album exists at all - the songs consist of Christmas standards, Dylan originals, or a combination of the two.

If real, I'm hoping that Sony takes the opportunity to do another "deluxe" edition for this release and include the TTRH 2-hour Christmas/New Year's Special. Given such highlights as Our Host's reading of "The Night Before Christmas" and his recipe for Figi Pudding, it would seem a natural.

I'm constantly surprised by both the number of Dylan fans who apparently were only peripherally aware of TTRH and by those who didn't know he has/had a satellite radio show at all. When "Together Through Life" was released, I was getting 2-3 emails a week from people who had heard "Friends and Neighbors" and wanted more shows. The number of hits Dreamtime received from "Theme Time Radio Hour downloads" related searches increased dramatically at that time too, and I bet Croz/Blind Willy saw similar increases.

In any case, if the rumor proves true, maybe we'll see another "official" release of a TTRH show, although I hope the sound quality is better than the "Friends and Neighbors" release. That disc appeared taken directly from the final compressed file used by XM. To my ear, the "Baseball" disc sounds much better.

PostPosted: Wed August 12th, 2009, 11:27 GMT 

i sure hope so

PostPosted: Wed August 12th, 2009, 12:28 GMT 

I asked some of my usually reliable sources, who - without admitting the existence of a Christmas album, natch - replied with their usual Delphic mystery that the timing would probably make getting all the necessary permission/releases for a TTRH Christmas show release impossible.

I found that a little weird, given that most reports had the hypothetical Christmas album in the can by May, and given that the "Friends and Neighbors" disc was ready to go even with all the reported last-minute decisions to release TTL in Spring rather than Fall. But that was the Word I got from the Bird. It may be that the final decision to release the album is still to be made, as Reuters alluded to last week. We'll have to see.

My sources were quiet when I brought up that at least we could have an official track of Mr. D. reading "Twas the Night Before Christmas" :lol:

I'm still trying to get my head around the idea of a Bob Dylan Christmas album, to tell the truth. Jailbait Jones says she can see/hear him doing a bluesy type of album, but "O Little Town of Bethlehem"? I have this sneaking suspicion that there's more to the story than has yet come out... maybe that the traditional songs are going to be instrumentals or even a fulfillment of Mr. D.'s long-expressed wish to have his music orchestrated. Or maybe he's going to have someone else do lead vocals.

Always interesting times on the Bob Dylan ranch.

PostPosted: Thu August 13th, 2009, 01:35 GMT 

Hey Slim Whitman did a Christmas album... I worked on a tv commercial for it sometime in the 19 and 80's. Bob could do a Texas swinging Xmas rocker from his rocker, I'd love to hear his version of "Granma got run over by a reindeer" or other crazy songs. "Do you hear what I hear?" Heh heh heh. Bob is a great entertainer, I can't wait to see what comes of this story.

Edit: here's a link to Slim's Xmas catalog:
http://musicmoz.org/Bands_and_Artists/W ... m_Whitman/