Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed December 13th, 2017, 03:30 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri July 24th, 2009, 18:18 GMT 

Ok, maybe this has already been discussed, if so please forgive me just finding out about it.

Whilst on Amazon today I discovered this:

Theme Time Radio Hour: The Best Of The Second Series
Link here
Audio CD (June 2, 2009)
Original Release Date: 2009
Number of Discs: 2
Label: Chrome Dreams
ASIN: B001TDM5VO
"This is the only officially-authorized release associated with the Theme Time Radio Hour. Its 50 tracks represent the first series of radio shows." (says the product description)

A reviewer comments:
"The only complaint about this set is that Dylan's commentary is missing. These are just the songs, by themselves."

:shock:

They cut out BOB TALKING between the tracks, what?????

Anyway, just thought I'd mention it in case people would find it interesting but it seems to me a weird combination of disjointed songs ESPECIALLY minus his commentary!
You mileage may vary.

And if this has already been discussed, forgive me.

::::crickets may resume::::::

PostPosted: Fri July 24th, 2009, 22:27 GMT 

Hmm, Amazon U.S. seems to have its information mixed up, as it often does when it comes to imports. There's currently only one "authorized" TTRH compilation, and it comes from Ace, not Chrome Dreams. That compilation is "Theme Time Radio Hour with Your Host Bob Dylan" Ace has a second compilation scheduled for release in September 2009, "Theme Time Radio Hour Season 2".

Both of these are authorized in the sense that they were compiled with the involvement and approval of of TTRH producer Eddie Gordoetsky and Dylan factotum, Jeff Rosen. As you note, MudCakeCreature, there's no Dylan commentary and, in fact, they're not the shows, just music that was played on the show.

"Chrome Dreams" is the ISIS magazine CD/DVD label, which to date has released three "unauthorized" compilations: The Best of Bob Dylan's Theme Time Radio Hour Volume 1 and Volume 2 which cover the show's first season and The Best Of The Second Series which compiles music from the show's second season.This last one is what Amazon is mistakenly noting as the Ace set.

But wait, there's more!

Two other "unauthorized" compilations come from the German Mischief Music label. "Radio Radio" is a 4-CD box set released in 2008 and covers music from TTRH's first season. In late July 2009, a second "Radio, Radio" compilation is scheduled for release, "Bob Dylan Radio Radio Vol. 2". As with the first, "Vol. 2" is a 4-CD set with 112 tracks. And again as with the original, "Vol.2" seems to focus entirely on Season 1 of TTRH.

None of the sets above are TTRH shows, simply music from the shows. The only two "official" releases to date are the "Baseball" show and the "Friends and Neighbors" show, both released as promos, the first for Modern Times, the latter for Together Through Life.

Didactic Fred now returns you to the crickets, already in progress.

PostPosted: Sat July 25th, 2009, 16:19 GMT 

Fred@Dreamtime wrote:
"Chrome Dreams" is the ISIS magazine CD/DVD label, which to date has released three "unauthorized" compilations: The Best of Bob Dylan's Theme Time Radio Hour Volume 1 and Volume 2 which cover the show's first season and The Best Of The Second Series which compiles music from the show's second season.This last one is what Amazon is mistakenly noting as the Ace set.

Its these that you can also pick up in HMV along with various other Unauthorised DVDs which refuse to work on my laptop :'(

PostPosted: Mon July 27th, 2009, 01:55 GMT 

Fred, you are awesome! Wow, thanks so much for your excellent reply. Many thanks for taking the time to post. They must have some deal but I wonder why they would permit this cd set, unless they really like the idea of the music getting out there in wider circulation; but by not having Bob's commentary it isn't TTRH. We really were privileged to be entertained for 3 seasons, lightning in a bottle, George Jones notwithstanding.

PostPosted: Mon July 27th, 2009, 13:16 GMT 

You're welcome, MCC. My pleasure. Keeping track of the various releases is one of the thibngs I've been doing for my book.

Quote:
but I wonder why they would permit this cd set, unless they really like the idea of the music getting out there in wider circulation;

Given the timing, I wonder whether the "authorized" compilation was in reaction to the unauthorized Chrome Dreams release, which came out first. It may have been, to paraphrase Bob Dylan on another subject, "if it was going to be done, he might as well do it himself." I suspect the Ace label contacted Dylan's camp, and offered to do a compilation that included some of the newer, still copyrighted, music - which is the major difference between the Ace set and the others. Certainly the Ace set is more representative of a TTRH playlist than the other compilations, which use music that is out-of-copyright in Europe.

It'll be interesting to see if there will be more releases of the actual TTRH shows. The "Baseball" and "Friends and Neighbors" showed that it can be done. Personally, I think there's a market if they do something like the Hank Williams' "Mother's Best" releases, where they do like a 2- or 3-CD set release a year. Whether that would be profitable, given the licensing/copyright issues, I don't know.

PostPosted: Tue September 8th, 2009, 14:45 GMT 

The good people over at Ace Records U.K. were kind enough to send me an early review copy of "Theme Time Radio Hour Season 2 with Your Host Bob Dylan." I did a full review over at Dreamtime, but here's the short cut:

As its title implies, the new 2-CD set includes 50 cherries plucked from the 375 tracks played over Season 2 - opening with The Sherman Williams (not Sherwin Williams Our Host would remind us) Orchestra's "Hello," and closing with Rilo Kiley's "With Arms Outstretched."

Sandwiched between is music spanning eight decades, from The Georgia Crackers 1927 "Diamond Joe," to Jolie Holland's "Goodbye California," released in 2004. The package includes a "fully illustrated 40-page book packed full of rare photographs and memorabilia including detailed notes on each track..." according to the Ace publicity blurb. That material wasn't ready when they sent me the review CDs, so I can't comment on it.

Although the CD is authorized by the TTRH team, and Eddie G. was involved in putting it together, I kind of wished he had asked Ace to title it clearly as "Music from Season 2 of Bob Dylan's TTRH." If the email I get is any indicator, a lot of people end up buying the half-dozen compilations currently on the market under the impression that they're getting TTRH: The Show. But as with the all other compilations, this new set from Ace just has selections of music from the show. With that caveat, I do recommend the compilation if you're in the mood for an eclectic selection of music taken from TTRH. As I've said before, I think the Ace "Theme Time Radio Hour" sets are easily the best collections of TTRH music currently available, not least because they include contemporary music still under copyright as well the older, royalty-free pieces used in the various other collections.

Bottom line of course is that for the 98 unreleased TTRH: The Show episodes, we're going to have to go the "illegal download" route for the foreseeable future. But there are times that you get more in the mood to listen to music rather than a radio show - heresy, I know :D - and the Ace collections are a good alternative.