Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sun December 17th, 2017, 19:42 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed July 8th, 2009, 15:29 GMT 

As I plod along on my book, I've been putting together imagined scripts/playlists for the two "lost?" "unrecorded?" episodes mentioned in Brian Braiker's Rolling Stone article last October.

I decided to tackle the hardest one first: "Furniture." Based on a "usual" TTRH segment, I need about a dozen songs, plus the usual miscellanea and Dylanesque patter, So far, I've come up with...

The Woman in Red: "It's night in the Big City. A crying woman watches as her couch is loaded into a moving van. Children are playing stick ball in the street.... It's Theme Radio Hour with your host, Bob Dylan"

[Bed music - "Vanity Dresser Boogie" - Sonny Boy Williamson]

Our Host: Welcome to another episode of Theme Time Radio Hour. Tonight we're talking about something that we all need, because if we didn't have any of these, what would we fill up our homes with? That's right, we're talking about furniture: Tables, chairs, beds, desks, dressers, cupboards. Armoires and bookcases. Curio cabinets, credenzas and cupboards. Hatstands, sideboards, wardrobes and tuffets. If it's something you can sit in, lie on, or put clothes in, we're playing a song about it. So let's get started...

1. "Furniture Man Blues Parts 1 and 2" - Victoria Spivey and Lonnie Johnson

Patter on "Furniture Man" songs

2. "Don't Hide from Your Furniture Man" - Rev. J.M. Gates

[Furniture Commercial]

[Patter on chairs and rocking chairs]

3. "Rocking Chair" - Louis Armstrong

4. "I Don't Need Your Rocking Chair" - George Jones (Yay!)

"Television sets as furniture" patter

5. "TV is the Thing This Year" - Dinah Washington (Yay!)

[Bed patter and "The Big Mattress" air-check in honor of Eddie G.]

6. "Big Four Poster Bed" - Brenda Lee

7. "The Bed" - Lou Reed

8. "Make a Pallet on Your Floor" - Gillian Welch

[Excerpt from Surrealistic Pillow - either "White Rabbit or "Somebody to Love"]

9. "Tears on My Pillow" - Little Anthony and the Imperials

[Table patter, including poker tables]

9. "Bed Spring Poker" - The Mississippi Sheiks

10. "You Turned the Tables on Me" - Billie Holiday

11. "Crumbs From Another Man's Table" - Porter Wagoner

12. "Cats in the Cupboard" - Pete Townsend

[Closing patter with "Skeleton in the Cupboard" as bed music]

"You've been listening to Theme Time Radio Hour with your host, Bob Dylan..."

Anyone else care to take a shot at appropriate songs?

PostPosted: Wed July 8th, 2009, 15:52 GMT 

for a minute i thought there was a fourth series :(

PostPosted: Wed July 8th, 2009, 15:59 GMT 

Who knows, maybe I can inspire the TTRH team to continue. Eddie's tied up with a movie script from what I hear, but I'm available. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed July 8th, 2009, 16:14 GMT 

Well, you cannot go wrong with the immortal "Dummy Song" in which a man uses bits of furniture to assemble a human effigy that he proudly claims will provide more loving than his wife. Best version I've heard is by a young Louis Prima (pre-Keely and Sam Butera). NRBQ does it too as well as Louis Armstrong.

Also:

The Kinks, "Sittin' On My Sofa"
Laura Lee "Crumbs Off the Table"
Harmonica Frank, "Rockin' Chair Daddy"
New Lost City Ramblers, "The Vacant Chair'
Sammy Price, "Empty Bed Blues"
The Police, "Bed's Too Big Without You"
X, "Motel Room in My Bed"
Cannon's Jug Stompers, "Feather Bed"

PostPosted: Wed July 8th, 2009, 18:15 GMT 

After listening to Louis Prima's version of "The Dummy Song" that definitely goes on the playlist, Wandu, thanks!

Wish I did a better Dylan imitation. I could create a faux episode and market it as one of the lost episodes that never aired. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed July 8th, 2009, 22:32 GMT 

Beds are Burning - Midnight Oil

PostPosted: Wed July 8th, 2009, 23:21 GMT 

You said "cupboards" twice in that opening, you should change that.

You should also listen to my TTRH imitation podcast / radio show. :)

PostPosted: Thu July 9th, 2009, 01:34 GMT 

Fantastic Fred--I can't wait for 102!! I'm serious--this is so great. If you can talk like Bob, you got it made. And then Blindwilly can give us the show, Croz can post the archive on his new forum, and stewArt can do the cover art. I'm so excited. And I'd like to find out how I can get on the list for your book (autographed, of course).

PostPosted: Thu July 9th, 2009, 09:15 GMT 

Not trying to hijack this thread, I promise! I found the following 'Theme Time' and Bonzo-related article when meditating upon the line from the Bonzo Dog Band's 'Canyons of Your Mind' :

In the wardrobe of my soul, in the section labelled 'Shirts'

http://mickhartley.typepad.com/blog/200 ... ction.html

PostPosted: Thu July 9th, 2009, 12:07 GMT 

AWA wrote:
You said "cupboards" twice in that opening, you should change that.

You should also listen to my TTRH imitation podcast / radio show. :)

Eddie G. never had to put up with this. :D

I have heard the shows, and they're good, Tim. I especially liked the "There Will Be Blood" one. You should post the links here so others can enjoy. I would knock down the size of the files a bit first :wink: , though.

Quote:
Fantastic Fred--I can't wait for 102!! I'm serious--this is so great. If you can talk like Bob, you got it made. And then Blindwilly can give us the show, Croz can post the archive on his new forum, and stewArt can do the cover art. I'm so excited. And I'd like to find out how I can get on the list for your book (autographed, of course)

Always good to hear from you Penelope, and you're very kind. I may do #101 and #102 as podcasts, as I have most of the music on hand (Eddie G. has nuthin' on me :) ), and I'd kinda like to try my hand at scripting a full faux TTRH just to get a feel about how Eddie was doing it. And the podcast portion of Dreamtime needs a suitable coda.

If/when I get the book published, you're definitely on the list, with personalized inscription. :D

PostPosted: Fri July 10th, 2009, 00:05 GMT 

Excellent stuff.
Still hanging onto hope that TTRH is not yet over but I could certainly hear Bob reading that out in my head.

Maybe you could do one for my own personal fantasy TTRH episode 'Heroin'

PostPosted: Fri July 10th, 2009, 14:55 GMT 

rockin' chair - the band
crumbs from another man's table - porter wagonner
waitin' for the wardrobe - bonzo dog doo-dah band
somebody's sleeping in my bed - jonnie taylor

a few bob might off played

carpy

PostPosted: Fri July 10th, 2009, 20:56 GMT 

Quote:
If/when I get the book published, you're definitely on the list, with personalized inscription. :D

Hooray! Let me know when it's finished and I'll send you a postage-paid package. Do you need an editor by the way? I'll work for free!

PostPosted: Sun July 12th, 2009, 23:56 GMT 

I would like to hear this show, Fred, in any voice you choose.

PostPosted: Wed October 21st, 2009, 10:52 GMT 

Just wondering Fred, now that you've done some real research and leg work for your book on TTRH and have uncovered some of the secrets... if you have found out this episode does exist or not, and if and when it might be released... or what might actually be in it.

PostPosted: Wed October 21st, 2009, 12:51 GMT 

AWA wrote:
Just wondering Fred, now that you've done some real research and leg work for your book on TTRH and have uncovered some of the secrets... if you have found out this episode does exist or not, and if and when it might be released... or what might actually be in it.

I'm glad you reminded me, Tim. I need to re-email Brain Braiker (the RS reporter) and see if I can get from him where he first got the list that included "Carnival" and "Furniture."

For its own reasons, Grey Water Park has been adamant about not providing me with any substantial information on TTRH or access to the so-called "inner circle." It's unfortunate, and frustrating, but I appreciate their feelings. In some ways I'm asking a master illusionist to reveal how the trick was done... in fact, Penn & Teller were the example I was given, illusionists who pretend to explain the illusion while still leaving the audience in the dark.

In any case, I've found no evidence that Furniture or Carnival were ever recorded, or even planned. If I were a suspicious soul, I'd suspect that the two titles were planted on Braiker deliberately as both a "just in case' ("Just in case we decide to come back.") and as a way to keep the legend alive. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed October 21st, 2009, 20:01 GMT 

Heard from Braiker, who is no longer with RS - such is the lot of the modern-day journalist - and who no longer has his notes, but thinks he was given the list that included "Furniture" and "Carnival" by an XM publicist. Of course, ultimately the publicist would have been given the list by the TTRH team, so it doesn't prove much, It's indicative though that when XM released their own list of scheduled Season 3 shows, neither of those titles were on it. So, maybe they were originally planned and then cut.

By the way, for those interested, I just posted an excerpt from my chapter on the "Weather" show at Dreamtime that explores the question of how much input Bob Dylan had with Theme Time. Not a definitive answer, but an interesting example, I think...

http://www.dreamtimepodcast.com/2009/10 ... s-and.html

PostPosted: Sat October 24th, 2009, 02:55 GMT 

Fred@Dreamtime wrote:
Anyone else care to take a shot at appropriate songs?

I'd suggest "Moving Furniture Around" by the Handsome Family from their album Odessa - a song about furniture that features the lines, "Guy next door plays Dylan till 4. I bang on the wall but he won't turn it down."

You can listen to a sample at http://www.amazon.com/Odessa/dp/B001GGY ... =8-1-spell

PostPosted: Sun October 25th, 2009, 00:46 GMT 

Hope this isn't too late, but how about "Sleepin' Single in a Double Bed"? I don't know the artist, but the song sure sounds like something Bob would play.