Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Mon December 11th, 2017, 11:36 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon May 25th, 2009, 03:05 GMT 

I think enough time has passed that it is safe to say Adieu, Aufweidersein, Shalom, and Hasta La Vista Baby.

A fitting tribute, from one of the great musical films of all time:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/38nngo

Goodbye, TTRH. It's been good to know ye.

PostPosted: Wed May 27th, 2009, 17:02 GMT 

adamdean wrote:
I think enough time has passed that it is safe to say Adieu, Aufweidersein, Shalom, and Hasta La Vista Baby.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/38nngo

Way too early to tell for sure - Bob's RS comments certainly leaves the door open and we now know if it is over it will not be because XM can't afford to keep the show on air, as they want it back. It's Bob's choice.

If we don't hear anything between September and April, then it's done. At this point last year we were still months away from even finding out about Season 3, so I wouldn't bet on finding out anything until late summer / early fall at the absolute earliest.

PostPosted: Sat May 30th, 2009, 06:23 GMT 

Keep Hope Alive

PostPosted: Sun May 31st, 2009, 19:17 GMT 
Titanium Member

Yeah.... And maybe ocgypsy will post oftener.... How ya been, oc? Long time no hear! 8)

PostPosted: Tue June 2nd, 2009, 06:41 GMT 

good, John, & you?

funny how I waited & would jump on blindwilly's downloads as soon
as they came up to hear the shows as the times were so terrible
for the show here with a job & kids & the bf & all the other stuff -
but I had 10 minutes a week to download & burn an hour CD that
usually brightened my week immensely. It was a Great Run...

a boxed set wouldn't be anything like that but good luck to
those who wish for that.

PostPosted: Tue June 2nd, 2009, 11:17 GMT 

Quote:
funny how I waited & would jump on blindwilly's downloads as soon
as they came up to hear the shows as the times were so terrible
for the show here with a job & kids & the bf & all the other stuff -
but I had 10 minutes a week to download & burn an hour CD that
usually brightened my week immensely. It was a Great Run...

a boxed set wouldn't be anything like that...

The TTRH team did their job then. I miss the "live" shows too; the anticipation through the week on what songs the "theme" would bring, listening on Wednesdays, putting the show on CD a few days later... It was a great run.

PostPosted: Tue June 2nd, 2009, 19:47 GMT 

I'm really looking forward to your book, Fred. If anybody ought to present TTRH to the ages it's certainly you.

PostPosted: Tue June 2nd, 2009, 20:44 GMT 

Quote:
I'm really looking forward to your book, Fred. If anybody ought to present TTRH to the ages it's certainly you.

From your lips to a publisher's ears, CS. Thanks for the kind words.

PostPosted: Sun June 7th, 2009, 22:28 GMT 
Titanium Member

What book is this, Fred?

I'll have to admit I got a bit bored with Bob's one-song-then-talk, one-song-then-talk way of running a show, but apparently for some people that was a major strength of the shows. How do you deal with the difference in attitudes, in your book, Fred (I learned to do 3-5 songs in a mini-set, with segues between them, when I started doing radio in the late Seventies on student-run "freeform" radio) I'm curious about what constitutes a payoff for a writer, too - I've been putting up my own stuff on the Internet and thro Cafe-press, and I seem to be getting enough readers (for free or by subscription!) of what I write to keep m happy and writing; money would be nice, of course, as another way of keeping score!

PostPosted: Mon June 8th, 2009, 12:40 GMT 

Quote:
What book is this, Fred?

Thanks for asking, John. Shameless self-promotion follows. :oops:

"Night Time in the Big City: Stories From Bob Dylan's Theme Time Radio Hour" (working title) has three distinct sections... Dreams, Themes, and Schemes.

"Dreams" will be the stories behind the stories Mr. D. told on the show, essentially expansions of the articles I've been writing for the past three years on Dreamtime, why Elvis wanted to be Dean Martin, How did Phil Silvers end up writing "Nancy with the Laughing Face," who really wrote "Rum and Coca-Cola" and so on.

"Themes" are facts and trivia about the shows themselves. A lot of the content is based on the good work - and will be credited to - that people did here, on Wikipedia, at the Annotated TTRH site, and so on. Recipes, def poetry, email and so on would be in the "Themes" section.

"Schemes" is the section that explores how the show came to be and how it was produced. That's the section I've been working on for the past few weeks, and in some ways has been the most interesting. I've interviewed several people connected with the show, and learned a lot I didn't know - or had completely wrong. :lol:

Quote:
I'll have to admit I got a bit bored with Bob's one-song-then-talk, one-song-then-talk way of running a show, but apparently for some people that was a major strength of the shows

I don't know about "major strength" but it's that "talk about a song/play a song" format that got me writing about TTRH in the first place, so it worked for me. :D I still remember Dylan drawling out, "We forget how much Elvis wanted to be Dean [Martin]" during the "Weather" show, because Elvis wanting to be Dino had never occurred to me. And when I looked into it, I found that indeed he had wanted to be Dean, to the extent that one person at Sun wondered whether they had taken on a Dean Martin clone.

In any case, I've probably talked to/swapped emails with several hundred people about TTRH since 2006 and one of the things that has always stood out to me is the wide range of opinions people had about the show. Some people listened simply because it was Bob Dylan (or BOB DYLAN) doing it. Other people were more fans of the music played on TTRH than of Mr. D. Some loved him talking. Others wished he'd shut up and simply play the music. :D Some people thought TTRH detracted from the Dylan mystique. Other people thought it humanized him. Some thought he did it for love. Others for gold. Some thought it was all rigged. A few asked for directions to the Abernathy Building. One person told me they liked Dreamtime more than TTRH, which gave me pause. More than one person asked me if I was Bob Dylan or Eddie G, which had me looking in the mirror to see.

It's been an interesting trip, and I'm hoping that people find it as interesting as I did if/when I get "Night Time in the Big City" published.

PostPosted: Mon June 8th, 2009, 14:21 GMT 

Quote:
"Schemes" is the section that explores how the show came to be and how it was produced. That's the section I've been working on for the past few weeks, and in some ways has been the most interesting. I've interviewed several people connected with the show, and learned a lot I didn't know - or had completely wrong

Quote:
A few asked for directions to the Abernathy Building.

Should be very interesting ---

PostPosted: Tue June 9th, 2009, 18:25 GMT 

Sounds great, a real labour of love - I'll be in line to preorder one!

PostPosted: Tue August 4th, 2009, 19:59 GMT 

I have all the TTRH shows. And yes, it does take up quite a bit of shelf space, but it's worth every inch! I believe most of us have never heard Dylan speak so much in his life. If this is it, it's been an enjoyable ride. BBB

PostPosted: Thu August 6th, 2009, 19:40 GMT 

Big Ben Bemis wrote:
I believe most of us have never heard Dylan speak so much in his life. If this is it, it's been an enjoyable ride.

Concur! :D

Fred@Dreamtime - I am fairly new around here and only recently discovered your Dreamtime pages. I only listened to TTRH reruns on DylanRadio.com as I don't have satellite radio. I for one would love your book! And I might try downloading a few shows to listen, but I would also be one to purchase a boxed set. :wink:

I doubt Bob will be back with the radio show. Been there, done that I suppose. :roll: I'm eager for more artwork!

PostPosted: Sun August 9th, 2009, 01:30 GMT 

Hey all, I saw a tv commercial today (8/8/09) for XM-Sirius radio which featured several pictures of Bob in a cowboy hat among other pics of other radio hosts, Howard Stern, etc., and on a full screen graphic of show logos they displayed "Theme Time Radio Hour" with other show logos. So maybe that is a hint of some new shows or maybe they will air repeats, or maybe they were too lazy to make new graphics and used an old template. Anyway, thought it was worth mentioning. Fingers crossed if it means new shows!

PostPosted: Wed August 12th, 2009, 08:26 GMT 

thinking ttrh may be the 'I Love Lucy' of radio reruns ....

PostPosted: Wed August 12th, 2009, 11:54 GMT 

ocgypsy wrote:
thinking ttrh may be the 'I Love Lucy' of radio reruns ....

:lol: Thinking that ocgypsy may be right :lol:

I'm beginning to think the much-ballyhooed "multi-year contract" renewal of 2007 was an agreement that Sirius XM could run the existing shows indefinitely, as well as include Mr. D./TTRH in their publicity materials as long as they aired the show.

(sigh) Fwiw, I still look forward to turning the radio on at 11:00 on Wednesdays.

PostPosted: Fri September 4th, 2009, 20:09 GMT 
Titanium Member

Hey Fred, is your book almost ready now?? I can't wait to read it ! :)
Anybody knows anything about TTRH's next season ?

PostPosted: Fri September 4th, 2009, 21:10 GMT 

dont think there will be another series

PostPosted: Sun September 6th, 2009, 14:51 GMT 

clarx wrote:
Hey Fred, is your book almost ready now?? I can't wait to read it ! :)
Anybody knows anything about TTRH's next season ?

Appreciate the kind thoughts, clarx, but it's more likely it'll be closer to this time next year before the book is published. I'm in the process of final edit and sending out proposals to publishers.

Desolation Row wrote:
dont think there will be another series

Unfortunately, me neither. I have it on pretty good authority that the core members of the team - especially the center of the core, Mr. D. - have moved on to other projects. I was kind of hoping that they might come up with another variation - maybe a "Bob Dylan channel" similar to "Willie's Place," or "Siriusly Sinatra" which would continue the feel of TTRH, if not the actual show, but I have the impression that the TTRH team felt/feel it would take too much oversight on their part. TTRH took a lot of work accomplished by a surprisingly small group of people - only 5, including Mr. D. As one of them put it to me, "all the machinery that made the show work smoothly has been dismantled. It would take a lot of effort to restart it again."

As I've said before, I'm of mixed emotions about it being over. But, it's so seldom these days to see anything or anybody go out leaving the audience wanting more. Most performers/shows stay way past their welcome. And the show was getting formulaic, I thought. There were still a lot of killer episodes in Season 3, but realistically, how long could they have sustained it?

It'll be interesting to see how long Sirius XM keeps on running the re-runs, as well as implying in the their marketing that Mr. D. is still with them.

PostPosted: Sun September 6th, 2009, 18:17 GMT 

I listened to the Goodbye show again recently, and it seemed even more clear to me second time around that ti was the last show. Also Dylan himself seemed to strongly hint at the series being over in the Flanagan interview.

On the other hand the shows get such good reviews over here (UK) and Dylan appears to have a good relationship with the BBC that I live in hope he might be persuaded to do the odd one off for the Beeb.

PostPosted: Mon September 7th, 2009, 22:09 GMT 

Well, Fred, i never did get to invite you to a theme time radio hour dinner at my house. They were totally fun as the food and drink were matched to the show we would listen to.

PostPosted: Tue September 8th, 2009, 20:25 GMT 

geraniumkiss wrote:
Well, Fred, i never did get to invite you to a theme time radio hour dinner at my house. They were totally fun as the food and drink were matched to the show we would listen to.

Well, that would have been neat. :D Maybe if they ever air the missing shows we can have a meet and greet.

PostPosted: Sun September 13th, 2009, 18:17 GMT 

adamdean wrote:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/2z2p46

I guess I'm just overstating the obvious, that TTRH is over and done. But I wanted to re-post the link to the greatest so long and farewell song that I know, thanks to Julie Andrews for making childhood a sweeter place to dream big.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/2z2p46

PostPosted: Tue September 15th, 2009, 17:09 GMT 

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune--without the words,
And never stops at all,

And sweetest in the gale is heard;
And sore must be the storm
That could abash the little bird
That kept so many warm.

I've heard it in the chillest land,
And on the strangest sea;