Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu December 14th, 2017, 04:28 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat May 9th, 2009, 08:06 GMT 
Titanium Member

There's a brief article in this week's RS, claiming to quote Dylan as having finished with this endeavor (p.18). Does anyone know if this is true?

PostPosted: Sat May 9th, 2009, 11:52 GMT 

Its been circulating as a rumor for quite some time now. And 100 shows, beginning on "Hello" and ending on "Goodbye" seems quite fitting, and the ending of "Goodbye" with the Vinyl humming was a perfect way too close what has been a fantastic journey. Plus, with Xm in the financial dumps, I think it may be the end :(

PostPosted: Sat May 9th, 2009, 15:44 GMT 

I thought he said he'd call when he was done.
I guess that's what all the elf talk and mud colored stage clothes were about down in the bonelick library, eh? Maybe a real phone call was the laminated clip art across the street from my mission field at the candy factory, the one with the caption that said, "your husband called, he said spend all you want."

Ha! Ha! Ha! Is it funny?

"Don't cry!" The Futurist 225-227. James Othmer
the little bullshit can go a ways.

PostPosted: Mon May 11th, 2009, 06:55 GMT 

The_Debutante_Collector wrote:
Its been circulating as a rumor for quite some time now. And 100 shows, beginning on "Hello" and ending on "Goodbye" seems quite fitting... :(

I believe it all started with the "Weather" show, actually. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon May 11th, 2009, 07:00 GMT 

I listened to the "Mothers" show, yesterday. Did anyonelse ?
The early shows are so different from the latter ones.
Pity we probably won't get more of this. :( :( :(

PostPosted: Tue May 12th, 2009, 06:24 GMT 
Titanium Member

Isnt it better to go out on top though?

PostPosted: Tue May 12th, 2009, 07:24 GMT 
Titanium Member

Yeah, but few people expected TTL to be that! So you think he'll quit recording/touring as well, as "the oldest man to have a #1 record," too?

PostPosted: Tue May 12th, 2009, 09:10 GMT 

if this is the end then lets have an official release of all the shows, with
comprehensive sleeve notes and artwork (similar to "Neighbors" TTL set)

PostPosted: Tue May 12th, 2009, 11:13 GMT 
Titanium Member

How many CD's would that add to your shelf?

PostPosted: Tue May 12th, 2009, 14:45 GMT 

leacroft wrote:
if this is the end then lets have an official release of all the shows, with
comprehensive sleeve notes and artwork (similar to "Neighbors" TTL set)

I agree. . .would love to have the shows grouped together by season in boxed sets.

PostPosted: Tue May 12th, 2009, 15:00 GMT 
Titanium Member

Roughly how much would you be willing to pay for this?

PostPosted: Tue May 12th, 2009, 16:04 GMT 

John McLaughlin wrote:
Roughly how much would you be willing to pay for this?

I love the shows I've heard and would be happy to pay for them. How many shows are in one season? How to price a season of shows? Has anything comparable ever been marketed before? I dunno. But I do think the shows are terrific and should be made available. One way to market them would be as single themes so people could pick and chose which ones they want. Just think of the marketing possibilities there! CD's of shows could be purchased with a study, metered mailing envelope as musical greetings/gifts. . .Hello, Luck, Friends & Neighbors, Marriage & Divorce, Doctors, Christmas & New Year's, Thanksgiving Leftovers, Wedding, Happiness, School. Lots to choose from that folks would enjoy!

PostPosted: Tue May 12th, 2009, 17:49 GMT 

Why don't you just download all 100 shows here: http://dylan-ttr-blindwilly.blogspot.com/ ? These were taken directly from the radio broadcast and as such they are as authentic as they are going to get. The sound quality is not perfect, but indeed very good - and most of the music played on the show is widely available on CD.

I keep all 100 shows in jewel cases with StewArt's brilliant artwork - so why this craving to get Sony to put out some overpriced official release, which will probably never amount to more than a couple of "best of" packages anyway? TTRH was/is a radio show, and its availability for download is a great grassroots project made possible by a lot of good people here. Maybe that's the real beauty of it. Of course I can see the greater justice in making these incredible shows available for a larger audience, but I wonder how many people out there (unfamiliar with the fascilities of this forum) would really bother listening to - and much less purchasing - all 100 shows...

PostPosted: Tue May 12th, 2009, 22:25 GMT 
Titanium Member

Who's "craving"? I'd have thought anyone with your handle would understand the nature of market research questions.

PostPosted: Wed May 13th, 2009, 07:52 GMT 

Well, it would certainly be great if an official release would open up the hearts (and buying power) of millions of people to the roots of original American music. And maybe it's not impossible - I don't know; I'm just a little skeptical. Also, imagine the difficult prospects in getting the release rights for some of the material (e.g. the Beatles stuff).

PostPosted: Wed May 13th, 2009, 13:21 GMT 

CS Nielsen wrote:
Why don't you just download all 100 shows here: http://dylan-ttr-blindwilly.blogspot.com/ ? These were taken directly from the radio broadcast and as such they are as authentic as they are going to get. The sound quality is not perfect, but indeed very good - and most of the music played on the show is widely available on CD.

I keep all 100 shows in jewel cases with StewArt's brilliant artwork - so why this craving to get Sony to put out some overpriced official release, which will probably never amount to more than a couple of "best of" packages anyway? TTRH was/is a radio show, and its availability for download is a great grassroots project made possible by a lot of good people here. Maybe that's the real beauty of it. Of course I can see the greater justice in making these incredible shows available for a larger audience, but I wonder how many people out there (unfamiliar with the fascilities of this forum) would really bother listening to - and much less purchasing - all 100 shows...

Kudos to all the people who've made the shows available for downloading -- it's a very cool grassroots project. Downloading the shows would take much time because I have a slow computer. Besides, I enjoy shopping at record/book stores to purchase music. I like all the information included in CD packaging; song credits, publication dates, etc...

I'd be happy to cherry pick thru a display rack of TTR shows and pay a reasonable price for single CD. That way I could build my own collection or buy for others without investing in the entire catalog of shows.

PostPosted: Wed May 13th, 2009, 21:09 GMT 

"I like all the information included in CD packaging; song credits, publication dates, etc..."

If you browse through StewArt's sites you'll find just about all of these...

Seek and you shall find:
http://dylanstubs.com/pictures/2006_ste ... index.html
http://dylanstubs.com/pictures/2007_ste ... index.html
http://dylanstubs.com/pictures/2008_ste ... index.html
http://dylanstubs.com/pictures/2009_ste ... index.html

PostPosted: Wed May 13th, 2009, 21:58 GMT 

John McLaughlin wrote:
Who's "craving"? I'd have thought anyone with your handle would understand the nature of market research questions.

Note to my friend C.S. Nielsen - I'm afraid this comment went right over your head. Here in America, there is a market-research group who do television surveys and such called the Nielsen Ratings. This comment infers that of course you would be familiar with that (typical internalized American attitude, I must point out). A "handle" in slang-speak is your user name or nick-name, in this case your real name. Mr. McLaughlin has assumed that you would know this. Touche.

PostPosted: Thu May 14th, 2009, 06:49 GMT 

Hey Adam! Ha, ha - I fell right into the cultural gap, I guess! I have heard about the Nielsen Ratings, but you are right, in this case it went over my head.

Thanks a lot!

CS

PostPosted: Thu May 14th, 2009, 11:31 GMT 

John McLaughlin wrote:
How many CD's would that add to your shelf?

Seems to me this is a case where MP3s are very useful. I have all 100 shows on 11 CDs. It is an XM program, so how good could the sound quality be, from recording the broadcasts? It's not like any audiophile stuff is available. It can only be so good.

Now, if they release these officially, from the master tapes ... then that's another matter. Could be significantly better sound quality. In that case I too would like to see them all released, but in box set format, designed to save shelf space.

Has anyone here heard the "Friends & Neighbors" show, included as an extra on Bob's new album? Is that in significantly better SQ?

PostPosted: Thu May 14th, 2009, 12:10 GMT 

Quote:
Has anyone here heard the "Friends & Neighbors" show, included as an extra on Bob's new album? Is that in significantly better SQ?

Yes, and sound quality imo, is better than either the internet or satellite versions. But, if anything, the CD version points out some of the flaws of the recording process. Edits are much more noticeable, and the sound level of Dylan's voice changes significantly in several spots.

PostPosted: Thu May 14th, 2009, 12:49 GMT 
Titanium Member

In other words, that's the quality we can expect when Sony gets around to fobbing us off with bad versions of TTRH? I can't wait. BTW - I bought the recent one for ten bucks at Starbucks, without this additional disc. What did you pay for this gem?

PostPosted: Thu May 14th, 2009, 14:05 GMT 

Quote:
What did you pay for this gem?

I'm not the person to ask. I got it for free. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu May 14th, 2009, 15:02 GMT 
Titanium Member

Ah. A DJ....

PostPosted: Fri May 22nd, 2009, 21:55 GMT 

CS Nielsen wrote:

I, for one, don't have the time to download all those shows, burn them onto cdr's, firgure out how I want to label the disks, break the bank buying ink to print out the artwork, or try to find and buy suitable cases for them. I would want the highest quality possible (uncompressed) which I would assume would have to come from the masters.

I did try to keep up with the first season, but along with concert recordings, it just became too much and gave up. I chose the concerts over TTRH. :) I do appreciate the wonderful job that people have done in recording these shows, doing the artwork, and making them available. It's an awesome project and the people involved should be commended.

I would buy a TTRH box set with all episodes or separately divided by season, and would pay several hundred $$'s for it. I wouldn't buy each episode at regular $10-$20 CD rates though.