Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Mon October 23rd, 2017, 04:10 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu April 30th, 2009, 19:47 GMT 

Quoted from the News section of Rolling Stone by Right Wing Bob http://www.rightwingbob.com/

Quote:
After three years and 100 episodes, Bob Dylan’s Sirius XM program “Theme Time Radio Hour” may be leaving the airwaves. “I stopped doing those shows a while ago, and then XM Radio was combined with another one,” Dylan tells Rolling Stone. “They want to renew. They’d like more shows. But I’m not so sure.”

Opinions anyone? I think that it fits in pretty well with the ending of the Goodbye show, that it was more than likely the last one, but there might just be more shows sometime in the future.

PostPosted: Thu April 30th, 2009, 20:12 GMT 

Well i would have liked some more but on the other hand the more he does the more stale the show might get and we wouldnt want it to lose its magic! I always suspected they were recorded a while ago and it sounds suspiciously like seasons 2 and 3 were recorded all at the same time and then xm split them into half.

PostPosted: Sun May 3rd, 2009, 07:44 GMT 

thanks for that....at least he said
not sure
hopefully they make it worth his while.

PostPosted: Sun May 3rd, 2009, 16:02 GMT 

Disappointing, but not unexpected. For those interested, I've included the full RS article and my reaction over at Dreamtime.

http://www.dreamtimepodcast.com/2009/05 ... -door.html

PostPosted: Sun May 3rd, 2009, 16:55 GMT 

sorry Fred what does he say on Chronicles volume 2?

PostPosted: Mon May 4th, 2009, 11:24 GMT 

After reading the RS interview and this comment, I'd say "it's over". Ah...all good things, you know, must come to an end. What TTRH has done here is helped us to build a community of like-minded souls who appreciate the artistry and caprice of Mr. D's eclectic mixture of commentary and music from every genre. It has been an incredible ride - 100 shows - and if you are like me (having illegally downloaded all of them), then you have a treasury of music to pass along to the now and future generations of Dylan fans. And not only Dylan fans! There is enough music and love here for everyone to share.

PostPosted: Mon May 4th, 2009, 11:27 GMT 

Well put, Adam!

PostPosted: Mon May 4th, 2009, 11:37 GMT 

Quote:
sorry Fred what does he say on Chronicles volume 2?

Nothing more than I noted in my post, DR. Brinkley, who I have to say conducted the worse RS interview/profile of Dylan I've read since since Jann Wenner's, simply reports that Chronicles Volume 2 is one of the projects on Mr. D.'s slate. No word as to when it's anticipated being published, although I would say that if it hasn't appeared on S&S's publication list by June, it's highly unlikely we'll see it released in 2009.

PostPosted: Mon May 4th, 2009, 15:39 GMT 

This is the right time for Bob to start his own radiostation! :) 8) 8)

PostPosted: Tue May 5th, 2009, 12:55 GMT 

Quote:
After three years and 100 episodes, Bob Dylan’s Sirius XM program “Theme Time Radio Hour” may be leaving the airwaves. “I stopped doing those shows a while ago, and then XM Radio was combined with another one,” Dylan tells Rolling Stone. “They want to renew. They’d like more shows. But I’m not so sure.”

XM has really gone downhill since the merger -- in the sense of many of the channels going less deep and basically playing nothing but the big hits. Virtually all channels have changed and seem to be moving in a Clear Channel direction.

For example, look at all the complaints at a popular web site about XM, particularly this thread

http://www.xmfan.com/viewtopic.php?t=102272

I see in the above quote that Bob mentions the merger, but it is not clear why that relates to whether he'll do the show. My speculation is he doesn't like the changes. I know he was a fan of some of the XM stations like Willies Place. I can see how he'd think XM is no longer the cool, free-wheeling place it used to be.

PostPosted: Tue May 5th, 2009, 13:36 GMT 

Willie's Place is still there..

PostPosted: Tue May 5th, 2009, 13:42 GMT 

lotusia wrote:
Willie's Place is still there..

Yes, but my point is so many channels have changed post-merger from the way they used to be. Look at this thread on Willies Place:

http://www.xmfan.com/viewtopic.php?t=101526

PostPosted: Tue May 5th, 2009, 14:09 GMT 

Quote:
I see in the above quote that Bob mentions the merger, but it is not clear why that relates to whether he'll do the show.

It's likely that the Sirius XM merger voided Dylan's original contract with XM Radio. Most contracts between a production company and the business entity it's providing content to would have that sort of escape clause. Probably more significantly Lee Abrams, who was the linchpin of the Dylan/XM relationship, has left the company (it's worth noting that Abrams' departure coincided with the end of Season 2 of TTRH). Hugh Panero, then-CEO of XM Radio, and the person who Abrams had to personally solicit for approval to get the XM bean counters to sign off on the TTRH deal, has left the company. In fact, nearly everyone who was on the XM side of the fence in 2005-06 when TTRH was being created has left the company at this point.

For all intents and purposes, the TTRH team was dealing with a completely different entity by late 2008. And, as you noted, riverclown, Sirius has a different (and from my perspective, much more boring) programming format than the original XM. Say what you will about Lee Abrams, he did recognize that satellite radio offered the perfect opportunity to narrowcast quirky programming like Hank's Place, which was what the original Willie's Place was called, and was the channel (along with The Roadhouse) that Dylan liked to listen to. If you knew Hank's Place before Willie's name was put on it, it was a much different channel, "my sort of country music," as Dylan says in the "Friends and Neighbors" episode of TTRH.

While you can understand how TTRH came to be on the XM Radio of 2006, it's harder to imagine that program could have appeared for the first time on the Sirius XM of 2009. I don't think it would have happened.

Yet, "I'm not so sure," is what the man said, which sounds to me as if the door is being left ajar, if not fully open. In any case, subscription satellite radio is almost certainly a failing business model, in my opinion. As I've said before, I think if Dylan's team wants to continue the TTRH franchise, they'd be wise to explore putting it on the internet - maybe a subscription-based podcast through iTunes, maybe as an iPhone app., maybe streaming it from bobdylan.com, maybe a combination of all three. If they want "radio" radio, maybe they can talk to NPR and/or the Beeb as a supplent. But I think the internet - especially the "on-demand" aspect of the internet, - s the key.

Well, as usual, I wrote a tome, but I have some interest in the subject. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue May 5th, 2009, 14:45 GMT 

Fred@Dreamtime wrote:
Quote:
I see in the above quote that Bob mentions the merger, but it is not clear why that relates to whether he'll do the show.

It's likely that the Sirius XM merger voided Dylan's original contract with XM Radio. Most contracts between a production company and the business entity it's providing content to would have that sort of escape clause. Probably more significantly Lee Abrams, who was the linchpin of the Dylan/XM relationship, has left the company (it's worth noting that Abrams' departure coincided with the end of Season 2 of TTRH). Hugh Panero, then-CEO of XM Radio, and the person who Abrams had to personally solicit for approval to get the XM bean counters to sign off on the TTRH deal, has left the company. In fact, nearly everyone who was on the XM side of the fence in 2005-06 when TTRH was being created has left the company at this point.

For all intents and purposes, the TTRH team was dealing with a completely different entity by late 2008. And, as you noted, riverclown, Sirius has a different (and from my perspective, much more boring) programming format than the original XM. Say what you will about Lee Abrams, he did recognize that satellite radio offered the perfect opportunity to narrowcast quirky programming like Hank's Place, which was what the original Willie's Place was called, and was the channel (along with The Roadhouse) that Dylan liked to listen to. If you knew Hank's Place before Willie's name was put on it, it was a much different channel, "my sort of country music," as Dylan says in the "Friends and Neighbors" episode of TTRH.

Forgot about that earlier change from Hanks Place. It's like they watered down again something they'd earlier watered down.

What's going on at XM is analogous to what went on with terrestrial radio, and guys like Bob and also I suspect Tom Petty (who wrote "The Last DJ", after all) who feel strongly about this sort of thing have got to be at least a little pissed.

Bob is in a position of course to not do something unless he wants to and feels good about it. If he feels the XM direction is going straight to hell and the personnel are a bunch of jerks now, I can see why he'd leave. I realize this is all speculation and I have no idea what Bob's motivation is. But it's fun to speculate!

PostPosted: Tue May 5th, 2009, 16:44 GMT 

If it was indeed 'goodbye' it was a very kind, letting us down gently sort of goodbye. Then of course it was 'hello' again on the Europe tour a few days later. I'm so happy to have all those 100 shows to enjoy, and I've learned so much from them, as a dumb un-musical sort of person. Over the past few years my interest in listening to music and going to see various artists has been revived thanks almost entirely to Mr. You-Know-Who.