Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat October 21st, 2017, 03:17 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon April 20th, 2009, 12:10 GMT 

Not encouraging, that Sirius XM is not responding to inquiries. On the other hand, the reporter is not a, ah "font of accuracy" either. This is the same person who reported last year that Season 3 would begin on September 19th, which as we know, it didn't. And I just went and checked the Deep Tracks site and, at least for the moment, the blurb with the line about the Fall season that the reporter claims was "disappeared" is still there. So, take with a grain of salt.

Quote:
Bob Dylan's Theme Time Radio Hour | This Week: "Goodbye"
8:00 PM - 9:30 PM
Take a trip back to the golden age of radio with music hand-selected by Bob Dylan, from his personal collection. Listen as he weaves his own brand of radio with dreams, schemes and themes. This week Theme Time Radio Hour is 90 minutes and says "Goodbye" until the Fall season. Next week we begin a season of replays from this and past years.

From the NY Daily News site - April 20, 2009

Quote:
Bob Dylan's 'Theme Time Radio Hour': His time might be up

If we can trust the signals Bob Dylan seemed to be sending on his "Theme Time Radio Hour" program over Sirius XM last Wednesday, one of the best radio shows in recent years is all over now, baby blue.

It's also true that even deciphering Dylan's cryptic signals, never mind trusting them, can be an act of madness. Dylan's such a contrarian that he might do more shows just because his listeners assumed he wouldn't.

Right now, neither Dylan nor Sirius XM has made any definitive declaration beyond rerunning shows. A note on the XM "Deep Tracks" page last week mentioned "the fall season"; then that disappeared, and the company isn't returning phone calls.

Still, Dylan seemed to make it clear Wednesday that after 100 shows, almost all of which were good and many of which were wonderful, he's not going to stay in Mississippi a day too long.
That's Dylan's history. He stays a while in one place and moves on. He made that point in several ways Wednesday, most notably when a "listener" named "Morgan" called to say he can never say goodbye.

You gotta get over that, Dylan told him, or else everything in your life will be half-finished.
That message permeated a show whose musical theme was "Goodbye." It ended with Woody Guthrie's "So Long, It's Been Good to Know Yuh" and the sound of a needle clicking in the runout groove at the end of a vinyl record.

It wasn't sentimental, it wasn't sad. It was the loose, relaxed and funny Dylan who has made "Theme Time" a haven for great, offbeat music mixed with everything from divorce advice to recipes for cocktails.

On Wednesday, Dylan was listing members of the Warren Commission - he loves the sounds of words in lists - and "revealed" that one member was Rico Petrocelli of the Boston Red Sox.

So do we think Sirius XM would let this show go at a time when it desperately needs cool, unique programming?

Well, maybe. Dylan's main guy there, Lee Abrams, left. Cadillac, crunched by bad times, stopped sponsoring the show. Sirius XM has been slashing costs.

If the show is gone, for whatever reason, it's a big loss. It played music you rarely hear anymore and filled in the stories behind it - a music lesson that was never pedantic. Dylan may be the man of a thousand quirks, but he loves music, and that came across in every show.
Also, if the show is over, we've got 100 hours of memories - and that's not a bad hand to be holding when the deal goes down.

PostPosted: Mon April 20th, 2009, 12:37 GMT 

Hmm... I suppose this guy's guess is as good as anybody's - and anybody's guess is as good as this guy's...

PostPosted: Mon April 20th, 2009, 17:33 GMT 

Add on to the fact that this reporter completely missed factoring in the two "lost" shows yet to be aired and this doesn't amount to a hill of beans. SiriusXM never "answer their calls" - when has there been an example when they've offered comment on anything, much less one of their programs?

We might get more info from the man himself when his new interview with Rolling Stone comes out, which is surely going to get brought up during the course of conversation (which, when Modern Times was released, was when we found out how long Season One was going to be). Too bad that half-wit Flanagan forgot to ask him about the damn programme in favor of asking stupid questions that amount to nothing.

PostPosted: Mon April 20th, 2009, 21:40 GMT 

Not only is the "return in the Fall" message still up on both the Sirius and XM websites, the Sirius site also now contains the following:

"Don't miss Bob Dylan's last Theme Time Radio Hour episode of the season, "Goodbye". And don't worry-he'll be saying hello again soon enough."

The link then takes you to the aforementioned mention of the Fall season.

PostPosted: Tue April 21st, 2009, 03:43 GMT 

David Hinckley has been covering radio and TV for decades. I doubt he called the main office, reporters have connections. The signs for Theme Time Radio continuing have been ominous for months starting by the departure of Lee Abrams from XM, and continuing with the merger of Sirius and XM and their ongoing, well reported financial difficulties.

That half-wit Bill Flannagan was editor of what was the best magazine on (popular) music in the United States, "Musician."

The meaning of the show and all the clues, including Ellen Barkin finally saying who she is could, and ending with Woody Guthrie not have been clearer. Goodbye does really mean goodbye.

PostPosted: Tue April 21st, 2009, 06:06 GMT 

PSB wrote:
David Hinckley has been covering radio and TV for decades. I doubt he called the main office, reporters have connections. The signs for Theme Time Radio continuing have been ominous for months starting by the departure of Lee Abrams from XM, and continuing with the merger of Sirius and XM and their ongoing, well reported financial difficulties.

Hinckley's history covering radio means zip if he's not enough of a journalist to do the digging in simple press releases to know two shows are missing from Season 3's line up and that Season 2's announcement did the same thing at the time and forecasted a future Season 3. Hell, all he had to do was come here and read a handful of threads. Apparently that is what every other news agency does these days, ranging from Mojo and Uncut to the New York Times and the New Yorker.
And as I already pointed out, XM-Sirus has never commented on TTRH outside of press releases, so why should they start now?

PSB wrote:
That half-wit Bill Flannagan was editor of what was the best magazine on (popular) music in the United States, "Musician."

I really don't care what Flanagan edited, his interview with Dylan was terribly misinformed, idiotic, senseless and by and large part a complete waste of time and opportunity to get anything significant out of Bob. Absolute awful preperation and downright terrible journalism. His credentials mean absolutely nothing in light of what an awful job he did, and what a missed opportunity - to interview Dylan without the constraints of any kind of publication / media constraints like USA Today or Rolling Stone or NPR or whatever outlet has. All he had was to ask Bob any number of questions about anything with no format restrictions and he talked like some boring baby boomer whose idea of a good question was to ask Bob what he thinks of the bleedin' Rolling Stones these days. Good grief. Maybe Bob talked him out of his follow-up question on how rock achieved total rockocity in the late 60's or some other awful boring old tired baby boomer non-thought.

And your defence of that train wreck is to point out his editorial credentials? I hope that was an attempt at a joke, seriously... give me a break.

PSB wrote:
The meaning of the show and all the clues, including Ellen Barkin finally saying who she is could, and ending with Woody Guthrie not have been clearer. Goodbye does really mean goodbye.

Ellen Barkin was revealed in previous episode so that was no revelation.

Except that we certainly don't know if it means the end of the show or the season. As Fred already pointed out, your crack longtime radio reporter erroneously reported the deletion of the mention of the fall season on the website, which, in addition to the two missing episodes and the Season 2 & 3 split with Hello & Goodbye as bookends (and Clearance Sale covering both themes from Season 2 and Season 3), make a pretty strong case that there is more to come. This isn't wishful thinking on my part, it is simply taking into account all of the evidence at hand, which has previously all we've been able to go by barring the annual press release - and 99% of the time the evidence has always pointed us in the right direction and to the right conclusions. It makes no sense to disregard it all now.

As I stated before, we'll likely find out

PostPosted: Tue April 21st, 2009, 14:11 GMT 

While I might not state it as forcefully as my friend AWA, I'm in general agreement with his opinions. Having been on occasion a journalist myself (as I believe you too, Peter), I probably have less respect for the profession than the average bear. :) While there are the welcome exceptions, too many journalists rely on press releases and being fed information by flacks rather than doing what the public thinks of as "journalism."

"'Blah-blah' representatives didn't return phone calls" usually means in journo-speak "I called my contacts, left a voicemail and they didn't get back to me before my deadline."

Just a couple of clarifications: Ellen Barkin announced her identity way back in the Christmas/New Year's episode of Season 1. Her "this is goodbye..." could either be interpreted as a statement of fact, since it was, or as a farewell. Or as both, which I'm sure was the intention. If you want to look to clues, note that "Dusty Old Dust" was Woody Guthrie's showcase song in the radio show Back Where I Came From, which TTRH may have been modeled after.

As I've said before, the show was obviously carefully crafted to leave the question open. Bob Dylan is too much the artist not to leave room for ambiguity.

Me, I'm not making my mind up one way or 'nother till the lady above starts warblin'

PostPosted: Tue April 21st, 2009, 18:40 GMT 

Sounded to me like an ending.

PostPosted: Tue April 21st, 2009, 20:27 GMT 

My post got cut off for some reason.

But we'll either see Bob eulogizing TTRH or talking about/mention of what's coming next in the Rolling Stone interview that will come with the release of the new record.

If it is indeed over, it likely means there will be two lost episodes (at least) that would likely make compelling limited edition/offer bonus discs for future Bob releases like they've done with a few episodes prior to this.

PostPosted: Tue April 21st, 2009, 22:19 GMT 

It sounded like something that they new could be an ending if it needed to be, but they didn't burn their bridges.
It reminds me of the sort of season finale some tv shows do when they are not sure if there is another season to comes, the kind that sort of double as potential series finales. I think in all honesty when Goodbye was recorded they did not know if there was more to come.

PostPosted: Wed April 22nd, 2009, 01:57 GMT 
I assumed that a show called "Goodbye" that closed with Woody Guthrie singing "So Long, It's Been Good To Know You" was the exact way that Bob would close out his stint as disc jockey.

Can you think of a more obvious way he would end the series?

PostPosted: Wed April 22nd, 2009, 06:15 GMT 

therevelator wrote:
Can you think of a more obvious way he would end the series?

By perhaps addressing it himself and saying something about why it's ending and his thoughts on the show itself? Something that never happened.

If the long bit at the end of the record needle skipping wasn't there and there were credits at the end of the show instead, this discussion would probably be more slanted towards the evidence at hand. The long, dramatic sound of the record skipping is the only thing that truly makes me feel that it might have indeed been the end of the show. But all the evidence proves otherwise. And like I said - even if XM-Sirus doesn't continue it, it is quite likely that there are at least 2 shows in the can that have yet to come out and will likely see the light of day sooner or later (likely sooner) as an added incentive to buy new Bob music releases, so even if that was the end of the series we'll still likely be treated to a couple more encores through different outlets at some point.

But I still maintain the evidence is all in place to suggest that we'll have another season in the fall... again, I'd also guess we'll know more once the Rolling Stone interview hits the stands. Too bad Flanagan wasn't a journalist enough to bring up the topic of the show, otherwise we might know by now!

PostPosted: Wed April 22nd, 2009, 06:40 GMT 

AWA, with all due respect it sounds like you might need a bit of grief councelling, anger and denial are often the signs. Bob's a tricky guy don't let him get you too much in a spin. Maybe there'll be more shows maybe there won't. As for the Flannagan interview I thought it was always clear that this 'interview' was nothing more than a publicity build up for the new album just a bit of fat chewin' really.

PostPosted: Wed April 22nd, 2009, 07:04 GMT 

Someozmtnrange wrote:
AWA, with all due respect it sounds like you might need a bit of grief councelling, anger and denial are often the signs. Bob's a tricky guy don't let him get you too much in a spin. Maybe there'll be more shows maybe there won't.

Thanks, pops.

I don't suppose you'll grace us with your rare presence to apologize to me should we get confirmation of a Season 4 in Rolling Stone in a few weeks.

Someozmtnrange wrote:
As for the Flannagan interview I thought it was always clear that this 'interview' was nothing more than a publicity build up for the new album just a bit of fat chewin' really.

If that were true, Flannagan's pathetic questions wouldn't be half as contrived with such sophistic conjecture posing as "questions".

PostPosted: Thu April 23rd, 2009, 00:26 GMT 

I will commit to that young fella.
Sittin back in ma big ol arm chair smokin anna waitin. :wink: