Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Mon October 23rd, 2017, 06:21 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: Goodbye show question
PostPosted: Sun April 19th, 2009, 13:36 GMT 

Any ideas why at the end of this show there were no credits?

PostPosted: Sun April 19th, 2009, 15:14 GMT 

This is all speculation gk, so take with many grains of salt.

I've come to the conclusion that for whatever reasons the credits are kept separate from the shows. But why? I don't know. Maybe so XM has some leeway to create their own show schedule. Maybe so if a show is running long, they can buy themselves a needed extra minute by dispensing with the credits. Maybe for some other reason.

With "Goodbye," it may have been aesthetic. They may have wanted to close with that "goodbye" radio jingle and leave as the listener's last memory the bumping of the phonograph needle up against the final grooves of the disc. Certainly that sound made me simultaneously joyful - joyful because it was so perfect a close and sad.

But who knows? Why, after 80-odd shows did they dispense with Ellen Barkin's "Night in the Big City" intros for several shows?

PostPosted: Sun April 19th, 2009, 15:59 GMT 

Thanks Fred. I like your aesthetic guess as it left me with similar feelings as yours. In any event it was a great show.

PostPosted: Mon April 20th, 2009, 07:45 GMT 

If the rebroadcasts of the show contain no credits, then it was deliberate. But other shows in the past have been missing the credits, only to have them reappear on subsequent re-broadcasts.

PostPosted: Wed April 22nd, 2009, 16:47 GMT 

Fred@Dreamtime wrote:
.... and leave as the listener's last memory the bumping of the phonograph needle up against the final grooves of the disc....

I'm just wondering... that sound of the needle skipping at the end of a record..... (even though vinyl is making a comeback of sorts).... how long will that sound continue to have connotations (an emotional one) for listeners?

I remember as a kid priding myself on the ability to needle drop on a song within an album and JUST getting the needle right into the blank spot on a rotating record without it skipping around or hitting the last bit of the previous song.... and then of course there were the modern arm lift-levers which made that a bit easier, and easier on the needle's life span too.

Doing that arm lift and pausing your cassette deck at just the right moment made for nice mix tapes back in the day.

Ahhh, but I am waxing prosaic about wax, time to hang it up.

:D

fingers crossed for more, please sir, I want some more TTRH.
:::Oliver Twist voice:::::