Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Mon December 11th, 2017, 00:11 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue April 14th, 2009, 15:15 GMT 

Here is what I just found on sirius.com, and if there is any truth in this, there may be hope for the future of TTRH:

Bob Dylan’s Theme Time Radio Hour
Tomorrow 11:00 am ET
Take a trip back to the golden age of radio with music hand-selected by Bob Dylan, from his personal collection. Listen as he weaves his own brand of radio with dreams, schemes and themes. This week Theme Time Radio Hour is 90 minutes and says “Goodbye” until the Fall season. Next week we begin a season of replays from this and past years.

PostPosted: Tue April 14th, 2009, 15:55 GMT 

That pretty much confirms it will be repeating the April ending / September start for Season 4 and, yes BZ, Carnival and Furniture themes quite obviously exist.

PostPosted: Tue April 14th, 2009, 16:13 GMT 

That sounds promising - I can't believe they'd write that unless there was a near certainty it wa going to happen.

PostPosted: Tue April 14th, 2009, 20:37 GMT 

Good news indeed :D

PostPosted: Wed April 15th, 2009, 02:08 GMT 

Great news. I can't imagine no more Theme Time. What a revelation.

PostPosted: Wed April 15th, 2009, 02:30 GMT 

I wouldn't be too sure about that even if it is on the Sirius site.

PostPosted: Wed April 15th, 2009, 03:21 GMT 
Titanium Member

Location: where there ain't no police; ain't no need to escape from what is, only spirits at ease
CS Nielsen wrote:
Here is what I just found on sirius.com, and if there is any truth in this, there may be hope for the future of TTRH:

Bob Dylan’s Theme Time Radio Hour
Tomorrow 11:00 am ET
Take a trip back to the golden age of radio with music hand-selected by Bob Dylan, from his personal collection. Listen as he weaves his own brand of radio with dreams, schemes and themes. This week Theme Time Radio Hour is 90 minutes and says “Goodbye” until the Fall season. Next week we begin a season of replays from this and past years.

Image Yippers!

PostPosted: Wed April 15th, 2009, 12:37 GMT 

Well, I'll be d***md! :lol:

I gotta tell you that I was told way back last year by a (I thought) credible source close, as they say, to the action, that the show was ending after Season 3.

As it was told to me in confidence, I've kept my mouth shut about it for the past several months. But I've been wondering whether the "Tough Economic Times" (copyright pending) might make both Sirius XM and the Dylan side more open to continuing the show if the contract had expired or was being renegotiated.

Who knows? If the news is confirmed at 12:30 ET today, there will be one happy TTRH fan in Merrimack, New Hampshire fer sure.

And by the way, don't let it get lost in the news that "Goodbye" will also be a 90-minute show.

I just finished a lengthy write-up on Season 3 that can be found over at Dreamtime for those interested.

http://www.dreamtimepodcast.com/2009/04 ... undup.html

Thanks for making my morning, CS!

PostPosted: Wed April 15th, 2009, 12:45 GMT 

Your welcome, Fred! You're regularly making the day for a lot of good nerds around these parts yourself!

But as far as the continuation of TTRH - let's wait a few hours (or months) before we count our chicks. Or as we say in Denmark "don't sell the hide before the bear is shot" (funny, we don't have bears here, but I'm sure Davy Crockett would understand...)

PostPosted: Wed April 15th, 2009, 14:36 GMT 

AWESOMENESS ON THIS NEWS!!!!! YAY!!!!!!
:lol: :D :lol: :D

Holy Moly Ravioli!!!!!

If true this is great news, and even if it is not true, it is still great news and a reason to be happy for a long time!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed April 15th, 2009, 16:34 GMT 

Well, they left us hanging. :cry:

PostPosted: Wed April 15th, 2009, 19:54 GMT 

I caught the end of today's Goodbye show quite by chance as I drove rt. 89 in NH. From the way the show ended I would have said it was the very last one but now reading through the above posts there is a glimmer of hope.

PostPosted: Wed April 15th, 2009, 22:51 GMT 

sounds very promising but I won't quit worrying just yet either.
thanks!

PostPosted: Thu April 16th, 2009, 12:43 GMT 

Reposted from Dreamtime. It seemed appropriate for here too...

He Didn't Say Yes, But He Didn't Say No...

... in answer to our first question. Although Our Host bade us "Goodbye" in just about every way possible during today's 90-minute special, he never came right out and said that this was the end of Theme Time Radio Hour, although it is the close of Season 3. On the other hand, Mr. D. had nothing to say about "seeing us real soon" or even in the Fall for that matter, either.

You can look at the show as a proper wrap-up to TTRH, the 100th episode, lots of great music with Woody Guthrie's Dusty Old Dust (So Long, it's Been Good to Know Yuh) as the appropriate in many ways finale, a surprise appearance by Ellen Barkin midway through, Mr. D. inviting us to the wrap party at Elmo's (if the lights are still on); and a vinyl recording of an old radio promo, complete with crackle, hiss, and needle bump telling us at the very end ...

Quote:
...look us up again, the records will spin when we come your way...

... and maybe the records will spin again. You can also look at the close as someone very carefully keeping the door open for another season, just in case. On the positive side, we do have those two "missing" shows, and the blurb for TTRH on Deep Tracks reads:

Quote:
This week Theme Time Radio Hour is 90 minutes and says "Goodbye" until the Fall season...

On the negative si... But what the eff. Who needs to be negative?

Quote:
"... We are never really satisfied, are we? - we are always craving another bite of food, love, magic, knowledge or power from the various hands that feed us. Guess that's just the good ol', grace-fallen, human condition.

Anyway, if TTRH has actually stopped for good today, I think it's important to acknowledge and be deeply thankful for our opportunity to listen to a hundred plus hours of pure Americana radio magic from the greatest song and dance [man] of them all!" ~CS Nielsen

On a couple of other TTRH-related notes. When you hear Mr. D. close today's show you'll hear him say, "this past year..." While there's a tendency to start treating everything said or played on TTRH as a clue ("Ellen Barkin's gone! Pierre has a cold! Where's George Jones?") kind of like we were watching Mao floating in the Yangtze River, I think that's more evidence that Seasons 2-3 started out life as one big year-long Season 2. Even the deejay following TTRH alluded to that, mentioning that a "Goodbye" show was appropriate, as they had done a "Hello" show at the start of Season 2.

I was hoping that the deejay might mention something pro or con abut the future of TTRH, but all he had to say was not to worry about getting your show fix, as they had lots of TTRH in their archives, which can either be inferred as a reference to the summer, or forever. Everyone being careful, as I said. And maybe that's the most positive sign of all.

One item for the Season 3 roundup that I wanted to include. "Absolutely Sweet Marie" over at the TTRH forums maintains an invaluable list of artists played on the show, which I use regularly as a reference source. As ASM notes, it's interesting that the undisputed champ of "most played" durings Seasons 1 and 2 - George Jones - had not a single spin for Season 3.

For those interested, Tom Waits and Dinah Washington have tied as "most-played" over the 100 shows, each with 10 appearances on the turntable. Maybe most surprising to me was the resurgence of The Rolling Stones, who for awhile seemed destined to be played on every Season 3 show.They came from way back in the pack to tie with Elvis Costello and Van Morrison for 2nd place.

And finally, my sincere thanks for the many comments, emails, even a few phone calls, and good wishes we've received since we started Dreamtime way back in the summer of 2006. I haven't made up my mind yet where I'll take the site and/or podcast if Theme Time Radio Hour is indeed over, but stayed tuned. You'll be the first to know where we'll go from here.

If this is the end, it's not goodbye. ~ Fred, Jailbait, and the Dreamtime Top cats, April 2009

PostPosted: Thu April 16th, 2009, 12:59 GMT 

yes there will be a season 4. however, all of Dylan's commentary will be written by Robert Hunter.