Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue October 24th, 2017, 04:12 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: Big Clearance Sale
PostPosted: Wed April 8th, 2009, 12:17 GMT 

According to the Deep Tracks schedule, the "Big Clearance Sale" show will be a 2-hour special today: 11:00 a.m. to 1 p.m. EDT

Post subject: Re: Big Clearance Sale
PostPosted: Wed April 8th, 2009, 16:16 GMT 

Please keep us informed of any news about the season or series status.

PostPosted: Wed April 8th, 2009, 17:02 GMT 

and here we go...

Final song for the show is The Rolling Stones' "Let It Bleed."

Mr. D. sez, "We'll see you next week."

Pierre sez, "...Be sure to be here next week for 'Goodbye.'"

PostPosted: Wed April 8th, 2009, 17:58 GMT 

alas alack parting is such sweet sorrow.... sigh.

btw: Fred, you and CS Nielsen both posted at the same instant practically!

What a ride this has been.... I certainly hope (as others have posited) that there may be a Season 4 to come. I hope!

PostPosted: Thu April 9th, 2009, 08:50 GMT 

I believe Mr D. also said, " we'll stack up the shelves again", or something similar. :D
Surely that's good news. There'will be a new season, I'm sure.

PostPosted: Thu April 9th, 2009, 09:13 GMT 

lotusia wrote:
I believe Mr D. also said, " we'll stack up the shelves again", or something similar. :D
Surely that's good news. There'will be a new season, I'm sure.

Considering this show had absolutely nothing to do with Furniture and the Carnival episode is still out there, I'm sure there will be a Season 4 as well. It is highly unlikely they ended up with two extra shows just for the heck of it.

PostPosted: Thu April 9th, 2009, 10:29 GMT 

after the dip in quality of Season 2, Season 3 has been a revelation.

Up there with Season 1, and at times superior.

PostPosted: Thu April 9th, 2009, 14:04 GMT 

Whatever happens, it's been a good ride.

PostPosted: Thu April 9th, 2009, 17:37 GMT 
Titanium Member

leacroft wrote:

Couldnt agree more!

And, always the pessimist (haha), I have to at least throw out the idea that Carnival and Furniture are not even made. Just because someone somewhere reports them, doesnt mean they're sitting in a vault somewhere.
I'm not saying anything one way or the other, just playing Devils Advocate for a minute :D

PostPosted: Thu April 9th, 2009, 18:04 GMT 

Bob Zimmerman wrote:
leacroft wrote:

Couldnt agree more!

And, always the pessimist (haha), I have to at least throw out the idea that Carnival and Furniture are not even made. Just because someone somewhere reports them, doesnt mean they're sitting in a vault somewhere.
I'm not saying anything one way or the other, just playing Devils Advocate for a minute :D

Fact of the matter is though there is evidence to support it in that the press release for Season 2 listed themes that didn't get aired in Season 2 but instead showed up in Season 3.

There are two "missing" shows that were mentioned to the press that have not aired. There were three re-runs this season, one of them the Xmas episode but the other two might have been where they originally planned to air the episodes but instead held them over for scheduling reasons to get TTRH to conclude at the traditional season ending time of April.

Plus that would be extremely bad amateur PR to release mention of episodes that don't exist to the press. That doesn't happen - if you can name an instance, any instance any time in the history of modern media press releases for programs on radio or television, where they advertised upcoming episodes that didn't exist. This isn't like mis-reporting a song recording, this is a major process which requires much work to do. There are no "lost" episodes of TV shows of Seinfeld or Cheers or something because they don't just make them on whims. The shows exist, I'll bet my life on it.

And as far as the quality differences between Season 2 and Season 3, it is quite likely they were recorded at the same time and divided up after the fact, so the notable "improvement" is pretty suspect to me.

PostPosted: Fri April 10th, 2009, 17:09 GMT 

Quote:
Roger Murdock: We have clearance, Clarence.
Captain Oveur: Roger, Roger. What's our vector, Victor?
Tower voice: Tower's radio clearance, over!
Captain Oveur: That's Clarence Oveur. Over.
Tower voice: Over.
Captain Oveur: Roger.
Roger Murdock: Huh?
Tower voice: Roger, over!
Roger Murdock: What?
Captain Oveur: Huh?
Victor Basta: Who?

Just finished listening to this one, and from my perspective it ranks right up there as one of the best Theme Time's ever... maybe because of the preponderance of stuff from the `30s and `40s, which I'm a sucker for. Maybe 'cause it had some yodelin', which I'm also a sucker for, much to the chagrin of both my sweetie and cats.

Maybe because the show just felt looser than it usually does, not being totally constrained by a theme other than "Clarence." :lol: I love the idea of the themes, but sometimes I think we get stuff that is only there because it fits the theme. Maybe because of the absence of email and phone calls, which again I like, but their absence was refreshing. Mr. D. just seemed to be totally into being a deejay with this show.

Maybe because Tex Carbone speaks! :shock:

I'm a little less sanguine than my friend AWA about the show continuing on the strength of the evidence of the two "missing" episodes. On the other hand, I did speak to the Rolling Stone/Newsweek reporter when he was researching his article on Season 3 and can tell you he was meticulous about verifying facts, so that's a good sign. But if this is it for the show, they're certainly going out on a high note.

PostPosted: Fri April 10th, 2009, 18:42 GMT 

I very much enjoyed this show. Unless I missed them there were no phone calls emails or whatever on last weeks show either, I rather like it that way.

I thought Clarence the angel from 'It's a Wonderful Life' should have got a mention, or did I miss that too.

It certainly didn't sound like things will be winding-up or shutting up shop, and I hope that's true.

I've found so much music I'd never heard of before - I wouldn't have had a clue what western swing was two years ago!

Last edited by Gussie on Fri April 10th, 2009, 19:35 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri April 10th, 2009, 19:19 GMT 

I listened to this on a bike ride last night along the Detroit river - thankfully it's finally warm enough around midnight again to do so - and this is one of the better shows, and, IMO, the best of the 2hr specials. The looser theme helped and the Clarence thing was pretty good too.

He specifically said the "Sale" was to make more room in the studio, not to go out of business. Pretty sure the Hello / Goodbye bookends are indicitive of Season 2 & 3 originally being the same but broken up for programming reasons (possibly having to do with the XM-Sirius merger which was up in the air at the time) and Goodbye not meaning the end of the show. Rolling Stone, as you put it, is not going to print mention of shows that don't exist (that would be like printing casual mention of Martin Scorsese's next film being about Chinese immigrants in Canada - these aren't songs, they're big productions which require a lot of work that don't just exist or not exist haphazardly). If the logic that Season 2 & 3 are the same, then it's quite likely Season 4 was already finished some time ago and has been sitting on the shelf waiting for the programming situation to sort itself out... which is why Carnival and Furniture would've gotten possible accidental mention.

Either way, we'll find out next week. Hope it ain't true though - the show is fantastic and I hope Bob keeps working at it rather than letting it die so soon so it will just be a novelty footnote in his history. It's worth far more than that.

PostPosted: Sat April 11th, 2009, 05:58 GMT 

I liked the episode. I loved the Billy Holiday (that Lester Young solo was siiiiiccckkkk!) into Frogman Henry. Never heard the Marley version of Sugar Sugar. Ice cream for the ears! Coulda done without the 'Evolution Girl' and Jim Ford. Wanda Jackson always welcome. Pretty fun catch-all show.

Hope the show ain't done Wednesday...gonna need more theme time than 100 shows.

PostPosted: Sat April 11th, 2009, 17:21 GMT 

It's all good ! Another great show. Never had heard of Rex Griffin but surprised to find the missing link between Jimmy Rodgers and Hank.

It's also great to hear all the stuff that resonates in Bob's catalog.

I especially liked the Cavalcade of Clarence joke...anybody else think he was referencing "Put on your Clat Clothes" from "Levee's Gonne Break" ?

PostPosted: Tue April 14th, 2009, 15:19 GMT 

I finally had the chance to listen to this show - (have been super busy of late) - and the question came to mind:

Has anyone here compiled a list of songs that Bob has covered in his career that he played on TTRH?

The first track today, "Little Sadie" was of course covered on Self Portrait. I know there have been many....

PostPosted: Tue April 14th, 2009, 18:36 GMT 

See your one-stop of all TTRH hour trivia. :lol:

http://www.dreamtimepodcast.com/2008/12 ... ed-on.html

It's not a complete list, and Barker's book only covers Seasons 1 and 2, but it's a start.