Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Mon July 28th, 2014, 10:18 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue July 13th, 2010, 13:08 GMT 

The New York Times obit is here...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/13/arts/ ... ssnyt?_r=1

You may remember a debate breaking out after the airing of the "Nothing" episode (viewtopic.php?f=11&t=34532&start=0) over the fact that TTRH apparently censored The Fugs "Nothing," taking out the juicier bits. As I wrote over at Dreamtime...

The studio versions of Nothing weigh in at around 4 minutes and some-odd seconds. The cut played on TTRH was 2 minutes and 30 seconds, trimming away almost half of the original song. The explanation could be as simple as Nothing, whatever its charms, is a fairly repetitious piece, and you more or less get the Fug's gist that all is nada in 2 1/2 minutes. Or, it may be that someone decided to deliberately remove such offending lines as: x nothing, sucking nothing, flesh and sex nothing, which is part of the original piece.

The debate has moved back-'n-forth in the Forum without complete resolution. Was there an released alternate studio version of Nothing that was used in TTRH? The Fugs discography adds to the confusion as their first album where Nothing appears (The Village Fugs) was originally released on Broadside/Folkways and then re-released as The Fugs First Album by ESP. Wikipedia claims that re-release includes "alternate takes/edits of at least three songs and stronger language" (emphasis mine), but the claim is unverified and current evidence points against there being two different versions of Nothing on the two albums.

A letter reproduced in the forum also notes another Dylan radio connection to Nothing.

Quote:
"...the version of "Nothing" on the original Folkways album is the regular full-length version, so Dylan must have played some weird edit that his producers made for him or something.

Ironic, because on the 1966 Bob Fass [Radio Unnameable bootleg] Dylan requests that Fass play "Nothing" and Bob says that he can't do it because of the language... I wonder if Dylan was reminded of this exact moment 40 years ago now that the tables are turned and HE is the DJ!

If you're interested, you can read the full Dreamtime article here... http://www.dreamtimepodcast.com/2009/01 ... thing.html

I miss the old days of the Forum, where we could fill up two pages of posts easily talking about one sonfg played on TTRH. :cry: