Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sun October 22nd, 2017, 06:38 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu April 2nd, 2009, 13:54 GMT 

I just exchanged some emails with charlespoet. This is an edited version of my reply to his question about my guess (emphasis there) that we have two more shows of Season 3.

According to my records, TTRH aired 50 original shows during Season 1 and 25 original shows during Season 2. I count 23 original episodes aired so far in Season 3 (there have been three repeat shows). If we go by Season 2, there should be two more original shows, making a total of 100 altogether for the three seasons.

They've aired all the shows mentioned in the Season 3 press release (as well as all the missing shows announced for Season 2 for that matter). The Rolling Stone article on Season 3 reports two shows we haven't heard yet, "Carnivals" and "Furniture." I'm just guessing here, but I'm thinking that "Furniture" is the "Clearance Sale" show of next week, and we might get something like the "President's Day" show, a special that does a few furniture songs, and then songs on older themes.

I kind of like the idea of winding up the season - and maybe the series - on a "Carnival" theme.

But as I said it's all a guess, and I'm often wrong. :lol:

On a separate note, I stay out of the whole "what sounds better, the satellite or streaming TTRH?" debate and think people should try both and decide what best fits their needs. But if you haven't heard one of charlespoets' streaming captures of TTRH since Sirius XM upgraded their sound to "near-CD quality," you really should. Even to my much-abused eardrums, there's a now a discernible improvement over the satellite version. That's not to slight tsbuick6's work at all. Everyone - from charlespoet to tbuick6 to Croz and Blind Willy, plus the many others who labor in the dusty vineyards of TTRH, have my admiration and respect.

PostPosted: Fri April 3rd, 2009, 13:23 GMT 

I think a great endfing theme would be "Goin' Fishing"

PostPosted: Fri April 3rd, 2009, 14:04 GMT 

just downloading one off charlespoets upgraded shows, and looking at the comments it does sound like it's a huge improvement, which is a real pain in the #, ive spent so many hours cutting and editing the shows to my own liking from tbuicks recordings, but if the sound is an approvement and im about to find out, then i will not sleep knowing i have poorer sounding versions, oh bugger :)
that is of course if they rerun the shows at the higher quality.

PostPosted: Fri April 3rd, 2009, 19:08 GMT 

I was just listening to The Soectrum channel which now plays repeats of Theme Time on Sundays, and believe I heard some very sad news. The DJ said that they were going to play the "Goodbye" theme this week. Now I heard a few weeks ago the same DJ say the wrong theme and then it turned up a few weeks later. I think this means that show #100 will be the "Goodbye" theme. I am also guessing that this will be the last Theme Time of them all. I hope that I am wrong!

PostPosted: Fri April 3rd, 2009, 23:28 GMT 

Theme next week is "Big Clearance Sale". Is that the same as Goodbye? Sure hope not!!

PostPosted: Fri April 3rd, 2009, 23:50 GMT 

I think the "Big Clearance Sale" show will be like the "President's Day" and the "Leftovers" shows. Maybe some tunes about sales or savings and a bunch extras from the other themes this season (and maybe seasons 1 & 2). Then it looks like the "Goodbye" theme will follow. All speculation of course!

PostPosted: Sat April 4th, 2009, 02:42 GMT 

I heard from pretty good source that Bob wants to do another series

PostPosted: Sat April 4th, 2009, 13:31 GMT 

Desolation Row wrote:
I heard from pretty good source that Bob wants to do another series

Man that is nice to hear! Maybe I'm getting too into the goodbye thing. I would love another season.

PostPosted: Sat April 4th, 2009, 13:39 GMT 

Well, I have said this before on other posts and threads. I think TTRH is a perfect gig for Bob. It does not require a lot of physical energy so it is gentle on his body yet he is able to discuss, share, his vast collection and knowledge about music. He could even combine being a dj with being a guest lecturer at colleges around the country!! For example there is a professor at Boston University who teaches a course on Dylan. Wouldn't be wild if the man, himself, came in for one of the classes????

PostPosted: Mon April 6th, 2009, 15:06 GMT 

Well I think Dylan sounds like he's enjoying himself too much to want to give the show up entirely, but he might feel that 100 shows is enough for the time being, and take a longer break or just do more occasional ones. Goodbye does sound like the sort of theme you'd do right at the end - but then we haven't had 'Carnival' yet.

PostPosted: Mon April 6th, 2009, 17:58 GMT 

Fwiw, the "Dylan Digest" section of ISIS is reporting essentially the same info that's been noted here.

Quote:
a continuity announcer in the States apparently said that this show would be "Goodbye" but we believe he got mixed up and "Goodbye" will come the week after next (15 April onwards). A bigger than usual "Clearance Sale" followed by a "Goodbye" indicates that Series 3 is coming to an end, with 25 original shows, the same number as Series 2. But will it be "Goodbye" or "Au revoir"?

PostPosted: Mon April 6th, 2009, 21:01 GMT 

I'm not sure the issue is with Bob - he seems to enjoy it a lot but with whether XM can still afford it.

PostPosted: Tue April 7th, 2009, 05:24 GMT 

I would like to interject here to point out that Season 1 was 50 shows and Season 2 was 25 shows... and it looks as though Season 3 will be 25 shows too.

The reason for optimism that this is not the end of TTRH is that, as was noted here, Season 2 sounded like it was brought to an end in a patch work way with a brief comment tagged on the end of a show to cut it off at 25, thus it is quite logical to assume that Season 3 was recorded with Season 2, originally meant to be Season 2 as well... which would thus make perfectly logical sense that Bob would start and end what was likely intended to be the full Season 2 with "Hello" and "Goodbye".

The fact that two of the themes mentioned previously, Carnival and Furniture (although, as Fred noted, there is a possibility Furniture might mean Clearance Sale but unless he plays some songs about furniture tomorrow, I'll doubt that very much) likely signal some run off for Season 4 (much like how some themes listed as coming in Season 2 didn't show up until Season 3) for programming reasons.

If Xm-Sirius is going to make a go of it, losing Theme Time, their most popular music program, would not be a good way to start. As expensive as Bob is, it's a feather in their cap that they mention a lot that is one reason they have income in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue April 7th, 2009, 14:17 GMT 

Quote:
The reason for optimism that this is not the end of TTRH is that, as was noted here, Season 2 sounded like it was brought to an end in a patch work way with a brief comment tagged on the end of a show to cut it off at 25, thus it is quite logical to assume that Season 3 was recorded with Season 2, originally meant to be Season 2 as well... which would thus make perfectly logical sense that Bob would start and end what was likely intended to be the full Season 2 with "Hello" and "Goodbye".

The book ends (which I hadn't thought of) of "Hello" and "Goodbye" makes a lot of sense, AWA, and would lend credence to your theory that Seasons 2 and 3 were originally recorded as another full 50-show season.

I'm kinda hoping that the next two shows are "Clearance Sale" and "Goodbye," as that would leave us with two "missing" shows, and hopes that they would make their appearance in a possible Season 4.

As somebody here mentioned, if I had to speculate, I'd guess that in the Big Scheme of Things the probability of TTRH continuing will probably be more a Sirius XM decision than a BD decision. I'm not sure anymore whether TTRH is their "most popular music program," they did a lot of damage when they discontinued XMX and I don't think they repaired the damage with the new Sunday block of TTRH programming. All you have to do is look at the dropoff in postings and interest in this Forum as an example.

I do know TTRH is their most expensive music program, way behind the costs of Howard Stern but still a significant chunk of change, and it's no longer being even partially subsidized by sponsorship. I do know that when Lee Abrams left, TTRH lost a much-needed internal champion. And I do know that Sirius has a different philosophy about programming and a different business model than XM had.

On the other hand, TTRH for Sirius XM is kinda like Bob Dylan himself for Columbia. While numbers and money always matter, you gotta consider that they're not the only factors in the equation. Dylan, by the mere fact of being Dylan, generates interest and publicity, which can't be fully discounted. Whether that's enough will remain to be seen.

PostPosted: Tue April 14th, 2009, 08:10 GMT 

There seems to me another factor in considering if we have nearly seen the end of TTRH.

Over a year ago, amazon.com started listing a book: Theme Time Radio Hour Compendium: Themes, Dreams, Schemes (Hardcover) by Bob Dylan, Simon & Schuster, 176 pages. The publishing date was put back a couple of times and they are now quoting 1 October, 2010 as the date. In fact they are showing a picture of the cover right now.

Assuming that it will eventually see the light of day, why wait 18 months after the show has ended to publish the book? Could it be that the splitting up of Season 2 into two separate seasons caused a delay? And now unexpected re-negotiations between Sirius and Dylan's management could also add to this delay.

Anyone have any opinions about this?

Pierre

PostPosted: Tue April 14th, 2009, 12:11 GMT 

Rather than repeati myself, here's my recent post on the TTRH Compendium from another thread...

Quote:
Unfortunately, the TTRH Compendium, while still listed on various book sites, seems to have died a'bornin', as its no longer listed on the publisher's - Simon & Schuster - site. The book was originally scheduled for release last October, was changed on Amazon to 2009 for awhile, and now, as you said is listed for release in 2010.

It's not uncommon for Amazon to push out publication dates in this fashion until they receive notification from the publisher that the book has been "officially" delisted. So there may still be some slight hope, but it's increasingly unlikely.

PostPosted: Sat April 18th, 2009, 04:42 GMT 

At the risk of being too simple about it, and echoing Fred's comment about the "Bob factor", I think that if Dylan wants to keep doing Theme Time he will. It seems like he's enjoying it and so my hopes are that it'll end up either continuing as is or as a feature through the iTunes store.