Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue October 17th, 2017, 18:57 GMT

All times are UTC

Would you support the official release of Theme Time Radio Hour?
Yes 89%  89%  [ 42 ]
No 11%  11%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 47
PostPosted: Thu March 19th, 2009, 13:13 GMT 

With Bob making a swipe at trading copies of the show, is there any way us fans can unite and call for an official and reasonably priced release for these shows after all most of us love these shows and they are worthy of many revisits, there is nothing on radio like these shows and they deserve complete recognition.

Has anyone any ideas how we can lobby to have these shows more in the public domain where they need to be after all these shows are not just of historical importance to fans of Bob Dylan but to the history of music in general they deserve to be more accessible

PostPosted: Thu March 19th, 2009, 13:58 GMT 

I (obviously) would love to see an official release of the complete TTRH. But, as I've said before, I think it's unlikely that will ever happen anytime soon. On the other hand, it appears the "Friends & Neighbors" show is going to be part of the "deluxe" "Together Through Life" package, so what do I know? :?

I haven't heard the "Family" show yet, so don't the context of the "swipe" against trading of the shows, although I think I would take it with the same grain of salt as Mr. D. advising us to "illegally download" TTRH a few shows back. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu March 19th, 2009, 14:08 GMT 

I think Bob's swipe is at people tryig to profit from the show Fred which is wrong. People are actually trying to sell these shows you know?

I listen to these shows in my own privacy and have also helped people access these shows as fellow bobcats are not always IT minded but i'd never try to make money out of it.

PostPosted: Thu March 19th, 2009, 15:10 GMT 

I like the idea, but an official release of all Theme Time Shows won't ever happen, I think. There are 100+ shows and you don't want that much product on the market at the same time. It would also be a nightmare to get the right to release all the music played. For example, can you imagine what it would take to get approval to release a Beatles song (Bob's played one or two) on cd?

PostPosted: Thu March 19th, 2009, 16:39 GMT 

yeah i didnt think of all that

PostPosted: Thu March 19th, 2009, 16:52 GMT 

Also, the cost would be unaffordable. If all the rights could be gathered, paying royalties for all the artists would make each show pricy of its own accord, and with the wealth of shows out there I don't think it would be feasible to own more than one or two.

PostPosted: Thu March 19th, 2009, 16:55 GMT 

nice idea I guess, it would have been lovely

PostPosted: Thu March 19th, 2009, 17:04 GMT 

Quote:
nice idea I guess, it would have been lovely

I wouldn't give up hope altogether. It only took 57 years to release the Hank Williams "Mother's Best" radio shows. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu March 19th, 2009, 20:21 GMT 

My guess is Bob would rather have us all go out and buy the music from TTRH that we like, that he's turned us on to, than to package TTRH itself.

PostPosted: Mon March 23rd, 2009, 07:53 GMT 

I'm guessing the majority of the music played on the show would actually be in the public domain (over 50 years old) now, so there wouldn't be any royalty payments necessary....however, the rights to one Beatles track would still mean that each show would have to be sold for $100 just for the series to break even I guess!!! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue March 24th, 2009, 08:04 GMT 
Mercury Member

am i alone in actually liking bootlegs?

PostPosted: Tue March 24th, 2009, 15:10 GMT 

slimtimslide wrote:
am i alone in actually liking bootlegs?

You'll have to define "liking" for me.

I usually try to stay out of the whole "bootlegs good/bad?" discussions, as essentially it's a religious war sort of thing. People have their opinions, and are seldom moved from them. At least that's been my experience. Ultimately I think it boils down to a personal decision, as I said in a longer post on the subject over at Dreamtime.

Having said that, I'll note that the first Dylan album that I owned was a bootleg - "Zimmerman: Looking Back," which I bought in Westwood Village, California in 19 and 70. It was a 2-LP package that included the infamous "Judas" concert, and it literally changed my life. I think of listening to that album now and it was like being at the Rite of Spring premiere or something.

It made me a lifelong Bob Dylan fan and every Bob Dylan-related thing I bought or written since then can be directly traced back to that purchase... an album that wasn't commercially released until some 30-odd years later.

So "like bootlegs"? Yeah, I like bootlegs. Or did. At some point I realized I had more gotten into the collecting of bootlegs than into the listening to bootlegs, and except for the occasional arcane collector's item, I seldom bother anymore. If you, for instance, have the complete V.D. Radio Project series, I would take it in an instant. :lol:

What Bob Dylan really thinks about the copying and circulation of TTRH is an open question. You can take his reply to the fictitious emailer as a joke. You can take it at face value. You could even parse the statement to argue that Mr. D. is okay with selling the shows but doesn't want them given away, as he specifically uses that phrase. (and, no, no, I don't believe he meant it that way. :lol:)

We do know his opinion of bootlegs of his own work. Again, as I mentioned at Dreamtime, it's the only subject I can think of besides space travel where, as far as I know, his opinion hasn't changed an iota every time he's addressed it. Go read the Lethem Rolling Stone interview, for example, where Lethem does everything but plead with Dylan to acknowledge that the bootleg release of "Blind Willie McTell" was a good thing, and Dylan compares it to someone stealing a half-finished painting from Picasso's house and selling it to "Picasso fans." (quotes Dylan's).

I mean, there's not much wiggle room there, is there? So, has an artist whose creative work I revere said repeatedly that he doesn't like or want his work being bootlegged? Yes.

Will that stop me from collecting bootlegs of his work if bootlegs are the only channel open to me? No, as I assume it won't stop Jonathan Lethem, fan of "Blind Willie McTell," and Greil Marcus, fan of The Basement Tapes and the multiple editions of "Jim Jones," among other things. As it won't stop most fans.

But, I also won't rationalize or justify what I'm doing. I'll be honest.

F. Scott Fitzgerald once said, “the true test of a first-rate mind is the ability to hold two contradictory ideas at the same time." On the other hand, that ability is called "cognitive dissonance" by psychiatrists and "doublethink" by George Orwell.

You play your numbers and you take your chances.

PostPosted: Tue March 24th, 2009, 15:55 GMT 

I like bootlegs. They are nice and fun. Still, I feel a slight twinge of guilt about them, and so when they are released in a legal venue, I buy them as soon as I can to support the artist because I feel that is what is right to do. If more Theme Time were available, I would purchase it.

PostPosted: Tue March 24th, 2009, 18:06 GMT 
Mercury Member

for ages i didn't have access to broadband and hence had no way of hearing TTRH except through the kindness of friends who made me CD-Rs of the first batch of shows, since then ive collected the lot. there is obviously no way the whole 100 odd shows are ever gonna see an official release but given the fact that they are all being re-broadcast on no-subscription channels like BBC radio I really cant see anything wrong with making CD-Rs for repeated listening. i hear what yr saying regarding the 'collecting' aspect of bootlegs, its a dodgy tendency, but i freely admit my fave dylan stuff is only available on boot!

on another tack im extremely lucky to know someone who works at the roundhouse and has just promised me two free tickets to the dylan show! yippee!!!! given that around 3000 people will be paying 50 quid each, making a total net of around 150.000 quid for one night i dont feel that bad about getting a freebie either, i suspect the dylan organisation can afford it....

PostPosted: Thu March 26th, 2009, 16:52 GMT 

My introduction to TTRH was when I bought Modern Times and got TTRH Baseball as a bonus. Loved it, and from there I had to get a subscription to XM. I love the fact that we can download the shows so I can play them when I want but I would pay for it if it was offered. When I started I was burning the shows to CD but then my daughter would snag the discs so now I just download to my laptop and playthem that way. If anyone in my family wants a show I can still burn it.

PostPosted: Thu March 26th, 2009, 21:15 GMT 

Whitlo wrote:
My introduction to TTRH was when I bought Modern Times and got TTRH Baseball as a bonus. Loved it, and from there I had to get a subscription to XM. I love the fact that we can download the shows so I can play them when I want but I would pay for it if it was offered. When I started I was burning the shows to CD but then my daughter would snag the discs so now I just download to my laptop and playthem that way. If anyone in my family wants a show I can still burn it.

Yeah, the baseball episode was a great one to include as a bonus cd. I was a little disappointed they chose the Friends and Neighbors episode as the bonus for the new album. I didn't think that was one of the better episodes so it seemed like kind of a lost opportunity to promote the show.

PostPosted: Thu April 9th, 2009, 21:16 GMT 

Great idea.I've got season 1 on my laptop but haven't heard seasons 2 & 3.Where can i download seasons 2 & 3?

Would love a complete boxset of the lot.It truely is the best thing on radio i've ever heard.

PostPosted: Wed April 29th, 2009, 10:00 GMT 

I would absolutely love a 3 season box set of all 100 shows. And I'd probably be willing to spend a stupid amount of money to acquire it too...Who needs a roof over their heads and food in hand anyway?! As has been said before, the logistics and money involved in clearing every track would be such a nightmare that the whole thing seems beyond unimaginable. Still, you never know your luck...Keeping my fingers crossed and my thinking wishful!

PostPosted: Thu April 30th, 2009, 06:06 GMT 

they've got the baseball & friends & neighbors up and running....
& were giving them away ---
so it's do-able

it's an amazing collection,
hope to have it always & hope there's more to come

PostPosted: Thu April 30th, 2009, 16:59 GMT 

headfullofideas wrote:
I would absolutely love a 3 season box set of all 100 shows. And I'd probably be willing to spend a stupid amount of money to acquire it too...Who needs a roof over their heads and food in hand anyway?! As has been said before, the logistics and money involved in clearing every track would be such a nightmare that the whole thing seems beyond unimaginable. Still, you never know your luck...Keeping my fingers crossed and my thinking wishful!

I would love to hear the sound quality of an official release. I've recorded all the shows from XM online using Total Recorder, and they sound ok, but compressed. I'd probably be knocked off my feet by the quality of an official release.