(E-mail)
Rilo Kiley - A Better Son/Daughter
Willie Mabon - The Seventh Son
Cliff Bruner & His Texas Wanderers - Bring it On Home to Grandma
Sly & The Family Stone - Family Affair

Next week's theme: Noah's Ark

Post subject: Re: TTRH-96: Family
PostPosted: Wed March 18th, 2009, 16:10 GMT 

This show had a very country/southern/naw linz feel to it. Bob told a story after "I'm My Own Grandpa" about Bill Wyman (former bass player for the Rolling Stones) and his young girlfriend that really cracked me up!

Also his comments about marijuana before the Peter Tosh song were very interesting; all these years Bob has denied that "Rainy Day Woman #12 & 35" was a pro-pot song, but these comments make you wonder....

On another topic, Bob asked listeners today (through the "e-mail" segment) to STOP TRADING COPIES OF THE SHOWS! He of course did this in a nice way, but yeah, right Bob, we'll stop trading copies of the shows right away. As soon as you pull out the acoustic and play us an 18 minute version of Sad Eyed Lady Of The Lowlands. Next!

Last edited by adamdean on Thu March 19th, 2009, 00:03 GMT, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed March 18th, 2009, 19:10 GMT 

I'm My Own Grandpa - Lonzo & Oscar (1947)
Aunt Caroline Dyer Blues - Memphis Jug Band (1930)
Two Sisters - Clannad (1976)
Shame and Scandal (In The Family) - Peter Tosh & The Wailers (1965)
I Wish I Could Shimmy Like My Sister Kate - The Olympics (1960)
Little Sister - Elvis Presley (1961)
LA Women Love Uncle Bud - Boozoo Chavis (1987)
Second Cousin - The Flamin' Groovies (1970)
Brother John - The Wild Tchoupitoulas (1976)
A Better Son / Daughter - Rilo Kiley (2002)
The Seventh Son - Willie Mabon (1955)
Bring it On Home to Grandma - Cliff Bruner & His Texas Wanderers (1938)
Family Affair - Sly & The Family Stone (1971)

Note - "LA Women Love Uncle Bud" - LA refers to Louisiana, not L.A. / Los Angeles !

Last edited by stewART on Thu March 19th, 2009, 14:41 GMT, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed March 18th, 2009, 19:17 GMT 

Fourth song by Jenny Lewis, this time as lead singer for Rilo Kiley. He must have something for the girl...

PostPosted: Wed March 18th, 2009, 23:13 GMT 
Titanium Member

:shock: It was boggling my mind how you all had heard the show already........

then I remembered it was not Tuesday :oops:

PostPosted: Thu March 19th, 2009, 06:23 GMT 

On another topic, Bob asked listeners today (through the "e-mail" segment) to STOP TRADING COPIES OF THE SHOWS!

You mean trying to make money out of the show? I think this is entirely fair.

However, I download the show its the only way I can listen to the show Ive also copied the show for a couple of friends who arent computer literate are big Dylan fans and it allows access for them. I've never tried to make a profit from this, never will I just want other fans to enjoy the show as much as I do.

Also anyone noticed that the deluxe version of the new album will have "Friends and Neighbours" Themetime show with it now if they can officially release one show (and I believe the "Baseball" show is also available officially) then why c0uldnt they release the whole of the series eventually? Id pay to own it officially it's of historical importance to any Dylan fan.

PostPosted: Thu March 19th, 2009, 15:39 GMT 

I'm pretty sure he meant to stop down-loading copies of the show, period. His "caller" said she made copies for friends, not that she sold copies to friends. However, when you get on TV in your 60s and defend stealing records from a friend's unlocked apartment because you were a "musical expeditionary", you can't be too surprised if other expeditionaries follow your lead.

Didn't get all the words to LA Women Love Uncle Bud, but I'd guess that was a radio debut for the song. Can't imagine it would fly too well on terrestrial radio. :roll:

Finally, could Bob be running out of themes? This is the first repeat not part of a 2 section show.

PostPosted: Fri March 20th, 2009, 21:42 GMT 

"And stop givin' my shows away!" haha

PostPosted: Sat March 21st, 2009, 09:01 GMT 

Absolutely Sweet Marie: What do you mean by "the first repeat"? There were no previous "Family" show in the series, and none of the song were repititions either. There were indeed shows on "Mother" and "Father" back in 2006, but the songs on last week's show focused mostly on other family members - none of the songs seemed like outtakes .

PostPosted: Sat March 21st, 2009, 17:07 GMT 

Ooops :oops: I was wrong. I thought the "Friends and Neighbors" show was "Friends and Family". As you say, no repetitions, no repeated theme. He told us he would never run out of themes!

PostPosted: Sat March 21st, 2009, 18:05 GMT 

...Other than that I totally agree with you ASM, Mr. D. shouldn't be talking about stealing or giving away music. I don't think there is any question really that he had a big tongue in his cheek when he said what he said...

PostPosted: Sat March 21st, 2009, 19:22 GMT 

Absolutely Sweet Marie wrote:
Ooops :oops: I was wrong. I thought the "Friends and Neighbors" show was "Friends and Family". As you say, no repetitions, no repeated theme. He told us he would never run out of themes!

Well, not to get all didactic and all, but the "Countdown" episodes of Season 1 and 2 could be considered repeated themes. If you really wanted to get didactic :twisted: you could even claim that the "Eleven on Up" show was a 3-peat.

PostPosted: Sat March 21st, 2009, 19:26 GMT 

CS Nielsen wrote:
...Other than that I totally agree with you ASM, Mr. D. shouldn't be talking about stealing or giving away music. I don't think there is any question really that he had a big tongue in his cheek when he said what he said...

It's also worth noting that TTRH has played cuts from bootlegs - oh, I'm sorry, "recordings of indeterminate origin" :evil: - at least three times to my knowledge. So, glass houses, and casting stones, and all that. I doubt if Jerry Lee called Mr. D. on the phone, and said "Hey, stop giving away my music, man."

PostPosted: Sat March 21st, 2009, 21:29 GMT 

Fred@Dreamtime wrote:
It's also worth noting that TTRH has played cuts from bootlegs - oh, I'm sorry, "recordings of indeterminate origin" :evil: - at least three times to my knowledge. So, glass houses, and casting stones, and all that. I doubt if Jerry Lee called Mr. D. on the phone, and said "Hey, stop giving away my music, man."

Does Dylan have to pay to use any of the material he broadcasts? I think I read recently that radio is the only medium that doesn't pay ASCAP/BMI for the right to broadcast copyrighted music, though I don't know if the same rules apply to satellite and internet broadcasts. (Maybe Bob is dreaming of the good old days when record companies paid DJs for playing new songs.)

Quote:
Well, not to get all didactic and all, but the "Countdown" episodes of Season 1 and 2 could be considered repeated themes. If you really wanted to get didactic :twisted: you could even claim that the "Eleven on Up" show was a 3-peat.

It's not at all unusual for me to be on the wrong side of an argument, but this may be the first time I was wrong on both sides of the argument. :roll: I think I'll go back to my compulsive list making!

PostPosted: Tue March 24th, 2009, 21:37 GMT 

Here in Ireland the (repeated) show is broadcast on a free FM Radio Station (Phoenix) "brought to you by Heineken Music". So, I buy my Heineken bottles of beer every week. It's my favorite beer anyway - and I support the show. Smart!