Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat November 18th, 2017, 23:38 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: Even better than TTRH
PostPosted: Sat March 14th, 2009, 19:44 GMT 

Of course, TTRH is great. But it's not the greatest of its kind, or even the first. All should sample `The Purple Knif Show', hosted by the one and only (sadly, late) Lux Interior, recorded/broadcast in July 1984.

PostPosted: Sat March 14th, 2009, 20:35 GMT 

Wow I found one of these shows its pretty great! I only found one show is that all that he did?

PostPosted: Sat March 14th, 2009, 21:04 GMT 
Senior Moderator

jckinnick wrote:
Wow I found one of these shows its pretty great! I only found one show is that all that he did?

jon I dl "1" from 1984 - I love the music and the silly Lux guy, but nothin' to me beats Bob's info about the records he plays and his jokes, emails, guests, etc. Thanks for letting us know about this - too bad Lux looked into the light. :(

PostPosted: Sun March 15th, 2009, 05:13 GMT 

[quote= jon I dl "1" from 1984[/quote]

Is that a yes he only did one?

PostPosted: Sun March 15th, 2009, 22:17 GMT 

Thanks for pointing it out, jonsmele. It's nice that the show is so readily available on the Web, too.

It's interesting to see how many musicians are deejays at heart. I guess it comes with the turf.

I was wondering, are there any female musicians who have made the cross-over to deejay? Two of my favorite deejays (neither musicians, as far as I know) over the years were "Outrageous Nevada" out of L.A. and "The Night Bird" out of New York.

Last edited by Fred@Dreamtime on Mon March 16th, 2009, 12:09 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon March 16th, 2009, 00:00 GMT 

Fred@Dreamtime wrote:
Thanks for pointing it out, jonsmele. It's nice that the show is so readily available on the Web, too.

It's interesting to see how many musicians are deejays at heart. I guess it comes with the turf.

I was wondering, are there any female musicians who have made the cross-over to deejay? Too of my favorite deejays (neither musician's, as far as I know) over the years were "Outrageous Nevada" out of L.A. and "The Night Bird" out of New York.

Off the top of my head Laura Cantrell does a show on the awesome radio station WFMU. Not sure if she still does but I know you can find the shows in the WFMU archives.

PostPosted: Mon March 16th, 2009, 02:00 GMT 

Fred@Dreamtime wrote:

I was wondering, are there any female musicians who have made the cross-over to deejay? Too of my favorite deejays (neither musician's, as far as I know) over the years were "Outrageous Nevada" out of L.A. and "The Night Bird" out of New York.

Patti Smith certainly has flirted with it.

PostPosted: Wed December 15th, 2010, 00:44 GMT 
Titanium Member

Location: In a Conker Tree. Miles behind. Who to Baba. Skate boarding is not a crime..
Joan Jett's show on one of those satellite radio stations used to be good. Saturday on WFMU has the wonderful Cherry Blossom Clinic with the fabulous Terre T.

That's for the heads up on The Purple Knif Show.. You're a real fink!!!

PostPosted: Wed December 15th, 2010, 00:50 GMT 
Titanium Member

Fred@Dreamtime wrote:
I was wondering, are there any female musicians who have made the cross-over to deejay?

Look no further than BBC Radio 2 - Suzi Quatro has been presenting a rock n roll / oldies show for a number of years now. (Having said that, I've not heard her for a while - has she fallen foul of 'new management' clearouts? :? Hope not ...)

PostPosted: Thu December 16th, 2010, 00:58 GMT 
Titanium Member

Location: In a Conker Tree. Miles behind. Who to Baba. Skate boarding is not a crime..
purple knif is pretty great stuff. In case any of you were in doubt. Go, get, it.

I'm looking for the links for the Greg Cartwright (the reigning sound) dj set..It's really really good.

The mick Jagger one posted recently in <other artists> really blew balls.. Do I really need to hear Layla again? What? Is mick getting paid by the song, here? Skip it..

there's other great dj sets by respectable artists out there.. Cmon peeps, let's have some LINKS!

PostPosted: Thu December 16th, 2010, 13:56 GMT 

onetwomany wrote:

I'm looking for the links for the Greg Cartwright (the reigning sound) dj set..It's really really good.

http://wfmuichiban.blogspot.com/2010/07 ... right.html

http://wfmuichiban.blogspot.com/2010/12 ... vol-2.html

PostPosted: Fri December 17th, 2010, 18:20 GMT 
Titanium Member

Fred, Thanks. I'm less impressed by that fmu set.
I finally relocated the one I was talking about..It's way more better!

part1
part2

I hope the links are still up..

A while back, Greg Cartwright of The Oblivians, The Compulsive Gamblers, and Reigning Sound (who probably put out the best rock album of the 2000s) sat in on a radio show on Milwaukee School of Engineering student-run non-commercial WMSE. He spun all these awesome rare-as-rare-gets 45s and 7″s from his collection, which I imagine is probably insane. Over 50 tracks!!