Go to main page
It is currently Sun November 23rd, 2014, 19:51 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue April 21st, 2009, 19:32 GMT 

Most Played Seasons 1-3 Complete
Shows 1- 99 03MAY06 till 15 APRIL09:

: 10x: Tom Waits and Dinah Washington

: 9x : Elvis Costello,George Jones, Van Morrison, The Rolling Stones

: 8x : James Brown, Ray Charles, Louis Jordan, Frank Sinatra, Muddy Waters, Hank Williams Sr, and Bob Wills

: 7x : Louis Armstrong, The Beatles, Johnny Cash, Slim Gaillard, Buddy Johnson, Jerry Lee Lewis, Buck Owens, Prince Buster, Porter Wagoner, Sonny Boy Williamson II

: 6x : The Drifters, Duke Ellington, The Everly Brothers, Merle Haggard, Billie Holiday, Los Lobos, Anita O’Day, Charlie Parker, and Howlin’ Wolf

: 5x : June Christy, Bo Diddley, Fats Domino, Doug Sahm & Sir Douglas Quintet, Wanda Jackson, JB Lenoir, Smiley Lewis, Little Walter, Loretta Lynn, Randy Newman, Charlie Poole, Elvis Presley, The Stanley Brothers, Big Joe Turner,

: 4x : Mose Allison, David Alvin, Chuck Berry, The Carter Family, The Clash, Nat King Cole, Ry Cooder, Bob Dorough, Lefty Frizzell, Wynonie Harris, Elmore James, The Kinks, Leadbelly, Professor Longhair, The Louvin Brothers, Joni Mitchell, Bill Monroe, NRBQ, Charlie Parker, Louis Prima, Jimmie Rodgers, Memphis Slim, Bessie Smith, Warren Smith, The Sons of the Pioneers, Joe Strummer, Irma Thomas, and Fats Waller

: 3x : Clarence Ashley, Hank Ballard, Count Basie, Clarence ‘Gatemouth’ Brown, Milton Brown, Ruth Brown, Betty Carter, Gus Cannon’s Jug Stompers, Leroy Carr & Scrapper Blackwell, The Clancy Brothers, The Coasters, Eddie Cochran, Sam Cooke, Bing Crosby, Miles Davis, Dave Edmunds, The Enchanters, Dizzy Gillespie, The Grateful Dead, Buddy Guy, Jimi Hendrix, Dan Hicks & His Hot Licks, The Ink Spots, Etta James, Rahsaan Roland Kirk, Jenny Lewis and the Watson Twins, Joe Liggins and the Honeydrippers, Lovin’ Spoonful, Bob Marley and the Wailers, The Marvellettes, [Toots &] The Maytals, Johnny Mercer, Memphis Minnie, The Mississippi Sheiks, Ennio Morricone, Harry Nilsson, Roy Orbison, Johnny Otis, Johnny Paycheck, Hank Penny, Carl Perkins, Webb Pierce, Charlie Rich, Otis Redding, Lou Reed, The Robins, Nina Simone, Red Simpson, Huey ‘Piano’ Smith, The Staple Singers, Sister Rosetta Tharpe, Ike Turner, Conway Twitty, Johnny Tyler, Eddie 'Cleanhead' Vinson, Billy Ward and the Dominoes, Tex Williams, Peter Wolf, Bobby Womack and Stevie Wonder.

PostPosted: Sun June 14th, 2009, 17:59 GMT 

Revised and Corrected as of 6-9-09
MOST PLAYED ARTISTS LIST Seasons 1-3

: 10x: Tom Waits and Dinah Washington.

: 9x : Elvis Costello,George Jones, Van Morrison, The Rolling Stones.

: 8x : James Brown, Ray Charles, Louis Jordan, Frank Sinatra, Muddy Waters, Hank Williams Sr, and Bob Wills.

: 7x : Louis Armstrong, The Beatles, Johnny Cash, Slim Gaillard, Buddy Johnson, Jerry Lee Lewis, Buck Owens, Prince Buster, Porter Wagoner, Sonny Boy Williamson II.

: 6x : The Drifters, Duke Ellington, The Everly Brothers, Merle Haggard, Billie Holiday, Howlin’ Wolf, Los Lobos, Anita O’Day, and Charlie Parker.

: 5x : June Christy, Bo Diddley, Fats Domino, Doug Sahm & Sir Douglas Quintet, Wanda Jackson, JB Lenoir, Smiley Lewis, Little Walter, Loretta Lynn, Randy Newman, Charlie Poole, Elvis Presley, The Stanley Brothers, Big Joe Turner.

: 4x : Mose Allison, David Alvin, Chuck Berry, The Carter Family, The Clash, The Coasters, Nat King Cole, Ry Cooder, Bob Dorough, Lefty Frizzell, Wynonie Harris, Elmore James, The Kinks, Leadbelly, Professor Longhair, The Louvin Brothers, Memphis Slim, The Mighty Sparrow, Joni Mitchell, Bill Monroe, NRBQ, Charlie Parker, Louis Prima, Jimmie Rodgers, Bessie Smith, Warren Smith, The Sons of the Pioneers, Joe Strummer, Irma Thomas, and Fats Waller.

: 3x : Clarence Ashley, Hank Ballard, Count Basie, Bobby ‘Blue’ Bland, Clarence ‘Gatemouth’ Brown, Milton Brown, Ruth Brown, Gus Cannon’s Jug Stompers, Laura Cantrell, Leroy Carr & Scrapper Blackwell, Betty Carter, The Clancy Brothers, The Clovers, Eddie Cochran, Sam Cooke, Bing Crosby, Miles Davis, Dr. John, Dave Edmunds, The Enchanters, J. Geils Band, Dizzy Gillespie, The Grateful Dead, Woody Guthrie, Buddy Guy, Jimi Hendrix, Dan Hicks & His Hot Licks, The Ink Spots, Etta James, Little Willie John, Ella Johnson, Rahsaan Roland Kirk, Jenny Lewis and the Watson Twins, Joe Liggins and the Honeydrippers, Little Richard, Lovin’ Spoonful, Nick Lowe, Bob Marley and the Wailers, The Marvellettes, Percy Mayfield, [Toots &] The Maytals, Jerry McCain, Johnny Mercer, Memphis Minnie, The Mississippi Sheiks, Ennio Morricone, Ricky Nelson, Willie Nelson, Harry Nilsson, The O’Jays, Roy Orbison, Johnny Otis, Johnny Paycheck, Hank Penny, Carl Perkins, Esther Phillips, Webb Pierce, Otis Redding, Lou Reed, Charlie Rich,The Robins, Nina Simone, Red Simpson, Huey ‘Piano’ Smith, The Staple Singers, Johnnie Taylor, Sister Rosetta Tharpe, They Might Be Giants, Richard and Linda Thompson, Ike Turner, Conway Twitty, Johnny Tyler, Eddie 'Cleanhead' Vinson, T-Bone Walker, Billy Ward and the Dominoes, Tex Williams, Peter Wolf, Bobby Womack and Stevie Wonder.

Rev. 6-9-09

PostPosted: Sat October 24th, 2009, 20:54 GMT 

[quote="Fred@Dreamtime"]Image

In honor of Mr. Waits, who I once rescued from imminent attack from a rent-a-cop, the "Small Change" album cover, with the rumored Elvira, mistress of the dark.

Could you tell that story please?

PostPosted: Mon October 26th, 2009, 14:01 GMT 

telltale wrote:
Could you tell that [Tom Waits] story please?

Sure. Apologies for the thread semi-hijack ASM, and to those who have read the story before. But except for the time I got into a fight with Johnny Rotten, who tried to steal my wedding ring, it's as much of a brush with music greatness as I've had. :lol:

I was in college at the University of Southern Maine in the mid to late `70s. The school was then known as the University of Maine at Portland-Gorham, affectionately referred to as Pogo U. by those attending.

I was a few years older than my peers thanks to an enforced stint in the Army, lived off-campus, and consequently had little to do with the school except attending classes. However, as I've always been interested in music, I did join a student organization charged with bringing music acts to the school. During that time I helped produce USM concerts for such `70s period acts as Arlo Guthrie; Loggins and Messina; Phoebe Snow; James Taylor; and Maria Muldaur among others as well as lesser-known East Coast bands such as Robin Lane and the Chartbusters and Jonathan Richman and the Modern Lovers.

As with many of the acts we booked, Maria's salad days - at least from a pop hit standpoint - were a little behind her when she had had a monster hit with "Midnight at the Oasis" in 1973. When we booked her, which was in either 1974 or `75 she was headlining a packaged college tour that included the vocal group The Persuasions and opening act Tom Waits, who was promoting his album "The Heart of Saturday Night." As Waits once said, he's opened for everyone from Frank Zappa to Buffalo Bob.

Backstage, I didn't have all that much interaction with Waits, who I had never heard of at the time. I was more interested in talking to Maria, who I had a serious crush on. Waits struck me as something of a poseur with his strange, scruffy, obviously created boho-type persona. What I best remember about him was that he was wearing a cheap blue Goodwill suit and had not the best personal hygiene. In fact, he reeked of B.O., cigarettes, and stale booze to the point where most people tried to stay several yards away from him.

The show about to open, Waits had already plowed through a six-pack or two and decided he wanted to bring a beer with him on-stage. An off-duty Portland cop who we were using as backstage security had already taken a dislike to Waits, probably since he looked and acted like the type of wino the cop would normally be running in. In any case, the rent-a-cop told Waits that the booze was strictly verboten as the hall had a no-alcohol policy. We all dutifully ignored the clouds of weed smoke that were floating all around us. The argument got heated, I stepped in to intercede, and while I had the rent-a-cop distracted, Waits hid several cans of beer in his suit jacket, walked out on stage, sat down at the piano, reached inside his jacket, pulled out a beer, popped the top, put it on the piano, turned to the backstage, and gave us all the finger.

I spent Waits' set talking the cop out of stopping the show and hauling Waits down to the local pokey. I missed much of his performance, although I still remember a line from his monologue about being "so horny even the crack of dawn wasn't safe," and I was impressed enough with "Diamonds on My Windshield" that I bought his album the next day. Either from luck or recognizing that discretion might be the better part of valor, Waits departed from the other side of the stage at the end of his set and disappeared into the Maine night.

Over the past few years I've become a friend of Maria's, and told her that story some thirty-odd years later. When I mentioned that Waits had smelled a little, ah, ripe, she began to laugh. "My God," she said. "I haven't thought of that tour in years. You're right, Tom was pretty pungent. We used to have to make excuses not to sit at the same table with him. We were saying, 'My God, doesn't this guy ever bathe?'"

And that, such as it is, is my Tom Waits story. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon October 26th, 2009, 14:11 GMT 

Ah, very cool - and we can enjoy the story of mad drunken stinking ill-mannered but charming Tom Waits because of his transformation into the fragrant sober gallant but charming sage of today! Thanks very much!

PostPosted: Mon July 26th, 2010, 11:02 GMT 

I love what they play ummhhh!!!