Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue October 17th, 2017, 17:08 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: What makes "war" unique?
PostPosted: Fri November 21st, 2008, 15:34 GMT 

Let me count the ways... :)

* First TTRH with no "Night in the Big City" intro (second with no Ellen Barkin).

* Second (I think) TTRH with no Outro.

* First (I think) with just Dylan commentary and music. No email, no phone calls, no commentary from other actors/comedians/musicians.

* First 90-minute show.

Anything more?

PostPosted: Fri November 21st, 2008, 16:13 GMT 

Wasn't "Time" 90 minutes as well?

PostPosted: Fri November 21st, 2008, 16:26 GMT 

Quote:
Wasn't "Time" 90 minutes as well?

I'd have to go back and "time" it exactly, but if memory serves, it ran some odd amount of time, between 70-80 minutes.

PostPosted: Fri November 21st, 2008, 17:11 GMT 

yeah exactly what i was thinkin' Fred with no intro or outro, whats Bob's message there?, or is it noone else is licensed to Sirius :lol:

PostPosted: Fri November 21st, 2008, 17:27 GMT 

Yes! The oppenig of this war show is great also because of the films he "plays", the war codes he speaks about and his intro.
after...
The second music is a folk about Spanish war.
So Great!
So serious theme and so soft and nice program...

Also I think Bob had good memories about his time listening radio on his childhood.
He wrote about war on Chronics vol. One.

Just a thought...

Last edited by Carolina on Fri November 21st, 2008, 18:44 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri November 21st, 2008, 18:17 GMT 

I agree with Carolina that with the seriousness of the subject the TTRH team decided to change the usual format. I liked the War intro a lot, and the Night Time in the Big City opening could use a rest, too, imo.

I've never made up my mind whether I think Eddie G. supplies XM with a specific order the shows should be played in, or whether that gets decided in Washington (obviously a holiday show gets played around the holiday). The Outros are fairly generic, and I remember at least a few instances where the name of the next episode had obviously been edited in.

So, maybe at air time nobody had decided what episode is going to run next week, or maybe someone just forgot, especially with the reported chaos at XM (note that the TTRH home page still hasn't changed the "Wednesday 10 am graphic" or deleted the now-defunct XMX link). I'm still betting on a third repeat of "Leftovers" or maybe a repeat of "Food.

PostPosted: Sat November 22nd, 2008, 17:26 GMT 

There is always the possibility that this is the last show.

PostPosted: Sat November 22nd, 2008, 18:06 GMT 

Quote:

I think that's highly unlikely, especially since Mr. D. said, "see you next week." :lol:

I think in the Big Scheme of Things the possibility that SIRIUS XM goes bankrupt is more a danger to TTRH's continued existence than the team pulling the plug after only six shows. The company is sitting on a mountain of debt and from all reports is heading for a serious cash-flow crunch in the next few months. And I wouldn't be surprised if this is the show's last season.

TTRH was always Lee Abram's baby, as was the quirkiness of the XM music line-up. Abrams is gone and the combined company seems to be heading to a more middle-of-the-road programming stance. And SIRIUS is now running the show, for all the talk of merger of equals.

While Dylan is good publicity for SIRIUS XM - nearly every article about the company usually gives a nod to TTRH - I'm not sure "good publicity" will offset the show's expense in the eyes of the SIRIUS bean-counters. I know from sources - now all departed - within XM Radio that TTRH was the company's single largest programming expense. Whatever deal Jeff Rosen cut with XM it was very lucrative for the Dylan side and not-so-much for the XM side - at least from the XM perspective. And I also know that the show was basically sold through the force of Lee Abrams personality. There was a lot of resentment about TTRH in the XM hallways and about Abrams signing away the ranch for a show that was never going to be profitable for XM simply so he could say he got Dylan on the air.

That's all past history. The thing is was that Abrams was a music and radio guy first and a business guy second. From all reports the people over at SIRIUS are business guys first. I don't know how long Dylan's "multi-year" contract runs, but I think there's a good chance if it expires at the end of this season it won't be renewed by SIRIUS. If they stay in business, they'll probably want to spend the money on more shock jocks or talk shows.

PostPosted: Sat November 22nd, 2008, 19:50 GMT 

Bob should just start his own radio station !......

PostPosted: Sat November 22nd, 2008, 22:21 GMT 

Wasnt there a two hour show one season?

PostPosted: Sat November 22nd, 2008, 22:59 GMT 

Well I think the BBC should hire Dylan if the contract with Sirus ends. The Money show happened to be on when I was driving home late the other night, and it sounded great with the BBC id and all.

PostPosted: Sat November 22nd, 2008, 23:28 GMT 

Man! It's really incredibly sad if TTRH should stop because of bad business and poor economy. The show is much too important - and it's downright shameful if the right people don't recognize that in time. The show ought to be running for exactly as long as Dylan has any interest in doing it.

PostPosted: Sun November 23rd, 2008, 21:58 GMT 

DO YOU SING ANY DYLAN ? - Eric Bogle

At the age of nineteen I was young, I was keen and I had just one burning ambition
To be a folk-singer, a dope-smokin’ swinger , playin’ songs that were steeped in tradition
So I bought a guitar and I practised real hard wasn’t much good but I was willin’’
But everywhere I went, from Gwydia to Gwent, they would say “Can you sing any Dylan?”

With my guitar I travelled real far trying to gain recognition
I sang “The Wild Rover” from Dundee to Dover, in pubs,clubs and in Seamens’s Missions
I travelled the road for seven long years, the pace it really was killin’
But everywhere I went from Gwydia to Gwent, they would say “Can you sing any
Dylan?”

I’d say “No! No! a thousand times no, I’d rather see my life blood spillin’
I’ll sing anything even “God Save the King”, but I just won’t sing any Bob Dylan”

I struggled on but the magic was gone, I only had a deep sense of failure
I though then I’d blow to where all failures go, so I boarded a ship for Australia
When I landed in Sydney the sun it shown down on a view that was lovely and thrillin’
Till spotting my guitar case with a smile on his face, Customs said “Can you sing any Dylan?”

And ever since then again and again I’ve been asked the same bloody question
And I usually reply in my own quiet way with a totally indecent suggestion!
But the last straw came one night at a local motel where I had a young girl who was willin’
As she took off her dress, she said “I’ll say yes, if only you’ll sing some Bob Dylan!”

I tell you my friends that was the end of all my traditional aspirations
If being a folkie was goin’ to cut off my nookie, there was one way to end my frustrations
The nest night I appeared at my local folk club, where the audience as usual was millin’
Until I took off my coat and I ruptured my throat and I sang – just like Bob Dylan!

Well the audience went wild, men women and childs, and they clapped ‘til their raw hands
were bleedin’
And said, so to speak, that my style was unique, and just what the Australian Folk scene
was needin’
So all you young folkies who bash out a chord, if you want to attain the top billin’
Just murder good prose, and sing through your nose, and then you’ll sound just like Bob
Dylan!

PostPosted: Mon November 24th, 2008, 01:21 GMT 

Hey Fred,
I listened to the show this morning. Got up early to do it. Jeez, I hate Sirius XM. Anyway, there was an outro today. Said we would be looking at the fruit bowl next week. I didn't hear an intro, but I just thought maybe I missed the first 30 seconds of it.

PostPosted: Mon November 24th, 2008, 02:11 GMT 

Fred@Dreamtime wrote:
Quote:

I think that's highly unlikely, especially since Mr. D. said, "see you next week." :lol:

I think in the Big Scheme of Things the possibility that SIRIUS XM goes bankrupt is more a danger to TTRH's continued existence than the team pulling the plug after only six shows. The company is sitting on a mountain of debt and from all reports is heading for a serious cash-flow crunch in the next few months. And I wouldn't be surprised if this is the show's last season.

TTRH was always Lee Abram's baby, as was the quirkiness of the XM music line-up. Abrams is gone and the combined company seems to be heading to a more middle-of-the-road programming stance. And SIRIUS is now running the show, for all the talk of merger of equals.

While Dylan is good publicity for SIRIUS XM - nearly every article about the company usually gives a nod to TTRH - I'm not sure "good publicity" will offset the show's expense in the eyes of the SIRIUS bean-counters. I know from sources - now all departed - within XM Radio that TTRH was the company's single largest programming expense. Whatever deal Jeff Rosen cut with XM it was very lucrative for the Dylan side and not-so-much for the XM side - at least from the XM perspective. And I also know that the show was basically sold through the force of Lee Abrams personality. There was a lot of resentment about TTRH in the XM hallways and about Abrams signing away the ranch for a show that was never going to be profitable for XM simply so he could say he got Dylan on the air.

That's all past history. The thing is was that Abrams was a music and radio guy first and a business guy second. From all reports the people over at SIRIUS are business guys first. I don't know how long Dylan's "multi-year" contract runs, but I think there's a good chance if it expires at the end of this season it won't be renewed by SIRIUS. If they stay in business, they'll probably want to spend the money on more shock jocks or talk shows.

Maybe, but if XM-Sirius is interested in staying in business they probably won't drop their 2nd rated show (next to Howard Stern) to save a few bucks. That's just as much bad business as over spending on one program to get it on the air. Programming is all important and the expense of the show is offset by the fact it has an audience (and, more importantly these days, a "strong demographic").

Granted, it is possible the TTRH crew might not be catered to as much as before as a result, but it doesn't make much sense to cancel a popular show. I do agree though that TTRH is likely most threatened by bankruptcy. Unless it continued as a BBC program or a BobDylan.com podcast of some kind (not likely), it will go down with the ship. Until then, let's hope this is a 50 episode season and love it while it's still around.

PostPosted: Mon November 24th, 2008, 02:17 GMT 

[quote="Fred@Dreamtime"][quote]There is always the possibility that this is the last show.[/quote]

I think that's highly unlikely, especially since Mr. D. said, "see you next week." :lol: .[/quote]

Touche, Fred. As always, a most informative post!

Appreciatively, Mr. Dean :D

PostPosted: Mon November 24th, 2008, 19:59 GMT 
Titanium Member

Just listened, and it freaked me out, I thought my taper had missed the beginning and the end :shock: haha

PostPosted: Fri November 28th, 2008, 04:37 GMT 
Promethium Member

stewART wrote:
DO YOU SING ANY DYLAN ? - Eric Bogle...

I'd love to hear a theme of "Bob Dylan" sometime...there's the Bowie song, the Syd Barrett song, Loudion Wainwringht had a GREAT one a few years back (Talkin' Bob Dylan Blues or something), the Waterboys had "Dylan's Dogs" (when you speak of them to him, it's the only time he'll look you in the eye)...surely there are a ton more and if space runs low he's always got Capt Kirk doing Mr Tambourine Man or whatever it was. Dylan's probably too modest, a shame, it would be fun for all...

PostPosted: Fri November 28th, 2008, 14:54 GMT 

I slept through the first 20 minutes of War, so my cat threw the computer on the floor and thereby said, WAAKKE UPP. Your new email machine with the smoking mountain climbers resting paterns isn't going to download that in less than 5 days...

So I still haven't heard all of war... heard enough to think that maybe bob was (joking) about slitting my throat again... then having me hang myself in fruit... but it wasn't by name this time... phew...

Anyhow... the show is a real gift. Its univerally my favorite friend in residence. It makes me weep and laugh, outwardly and the memories and travels it bequeaths are going with me.
Its my customized therapy team of dancing hoo-hoo-hoos!

I know the last invasion of the music industry was the hidden fireback of Soulseek, I think that d'l theme time might open up your hard drive too... it's a really big chunk of data. How could you take something like that in without giving back?

iIts only 14 dollars a month, and for that you get atleast 2 decent albums a month.. if you never turn it on.
I really miss starbuck channel though. I don't know if the cafe place plays the same programming.

I saw the add in the USA today and it gave me the creeps. All new faced howard the prick with his sunglasses --I can't stand it. Bob is grey and faded like he's already dead with Sinatra.
Its a good picture of his eyes though.

I don't turn the channels anymore in fear that I'll land on Howard Stern for a second, or some loud blaring commercials...Its just tough, because his stance is so contrary his marketing so sickening. Blunt. Harsh. A real turn off. I miss the quiet sublty of what was.
I alawys paid for my ticket, and I don't download. Bye bye starbucks, bye bye cadillac, sometimes love is like that. I loved what you did for me, but as for bying in, you were always out of my range, but hearing your art made me happy to know you.

Mcdoanlds has such an uhealthy menu, but then again they are for people with sick digestive systems, who can't cook, so what else could I expect. People always say my cooking looks like vomit... I say theirs makes me vomit, but let them pay Bob, maybe they'll learn somthing about what's right. They DO have VERY HOT coffee. Thank god someone does.

Though, now Starbucks is making my oatmeal! Add applesauce, clove, vanilla, & cinnamon, and I'll cross the street with my coffee in hand to buy some when I'm stuck in the city without mason jars or good markets--which is not so often you know... if only you let me use the microwave myself, i got tired of asking, and I knew it was a common pain in the ass.

LOVE the THERMOS! ABSOLUTLY the best thing I ever bought, dribble and all.

PostPosted: Fri November 28th, 2008, 15:07 GMT 
Mercury Member

lpzu wrote:
I slept through the first 20 minutes of War, so my cat threw the computer on the floor and thereby said, WAAKKE UPP. Your new email machine with the smoking mountain climbers resting paterns isn't going to download that in less than 5 days...

So I still haven't heard all of war... heard enough to think that maybe bob was (joking) about slitting my throat again... then having me hang myself in fruit... but it wasn't by name this time... phew...

Anyhow... the show is a real gift. Its univerally my favorite friend in residence. It makes me weep and laugh, outwardly and the memories and travels it bequeaths are going with me.
Its my customized therapy team of dancing hoo-hoo-hoos!

I know the last invasion of the music industry was the hidden fireback of Soulseek, I think that d'l theme time might open up your hard drive too... it's a really big chunk of data. How could you take something like that in without giving back?

iIts only 14 dollars a month, and for that you get atleast 2 decent albums a month.. if you never turn it on.
I really miss starbuck channel though. I don't know if the cafe place plays the same programming.

I saw the add in the USA today and it gave me the creeps. All new faced howard the prick with his sunglasses --I can't stand it. Bob is grey and faded like he's already dead with Sinatra.
Its a good picture of his eyes though.

I don't turn the channels anymore in fear that I'll land on Howard Stern for a second, or some loud blaring commercials...Its just tough, because his stance is so contrary his marketing so sickening. Blunt. Harsh. A real turn off. I miss the quiet sublty of what was.
I alawys paid for my ticket, and I don't download. Bye bye starbucks, bye bye cadillac, sometimes love is like that. I loved what you did for me, but as for bying in, you were always out of my range, but hearing your art made me happy to know you.

Mcdoanlds has such an uhealthy menu, but then again they are for people with sick digestive systems, who can't cook, so what else could I expect. People always say my cooking looks like vomit... I say theirs makes me vomit, but let them pay Bob, maybe they'll learn somthing about what's right. They DO have VERY HOT coffee. Thank god someone does.

Though, now Starbucks is making my oatmeal! Add applesauce, clove, vanilla, & cinnamon, and I'll cross the street with my coffee in hand to buy some when I'm stuck in the city without mason jars or good markets--which is not so often you know... if only you let me use the microwave myself, i got tired of asking, and I knew it was a common pain in the ass.

LOVE the THERMOS! ABSOLUTLY the best thing I ever bought, dribble and all.

:shock: great googly moogly!