Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue December 12th, 2017, 06:41 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: Gospel
PostPosted: Fri November 14th, 2008, 00:31 GMT 

What do you all make of the 2nd (!!) telephone question about why he plays so much gospel music? He gave the same answer as he did last season: the singers are so "committed".

As has become apparent, the phone calls are all set ups. In the past he has used some of them to address subjects on which he has been criticized, e.g. the call about Sheryl Crowe (I think) using a Buddy Holly song for a hair dye commercial. Do you think he is really getting complaints from listeners about the amount of gospel music he plays? Why would he care?

He told this week's caller that he was paying too much attention to the "meaning," but what can a singer be "committed" to if not the religious content of these songs? He's a mystery, our Bob.

Post subject: Re: Gospel
PostPosted: Fri November 14th, 2008, 17:39 GMT 

Oh my! This is exactly the response I get to my musings on Dylan in real life. Guess I'm going to have to go back to talking to the cat! :oops:

PostPosted: Fri November 14th, 2008, 18:42 GMT 

I was gonna reply earlier, but I couldn't get my thoughts to make sense. I'll give it another try. :lol:

I don't know if he's really getting complaints about the gospel music, but I think what he said made sense. The singer might be focused on the meaning of the song, but the listener can just admire the commitment of that singer and not worry about the singer's beliefs. I'm not a Christian, but I can still listen to songs inspired by religion. Just like I don't date but I can still listen to love songs. At least, in my brain that's how it made sense to me.

PostPosted: Sat November 15th, 2008, 06:27 GMT 
Titanium Member

Who is "Charlie"? Even w/ him trying to mask his voice, I know I know him from somewhere :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat November 15th, 2008, 20:06 GMT 

The tutor at my singing class, which focusses on jazz blues and gospel, made some very similar comments and I agreed with her. I'm not a churchgoer but gospel songs are just a pleasure to sing.

PostPosted: Sun November 16th, 2008, 04:53 GMT 

Music can move you no matter the style or the era. Isn't that the whole point of TTRH? I think Bob uses the fakey, cutesy phone calls and emails to make that point without sounding preachy. I'm an oddball...I'm a devout atheist who LOVES religious music. Is that weird? By the way, this season Bob is cracking me up...very funny this year.

PostPosted: Sun November 16th, 2008, 17:11 GMT 

I think he was just using it to tee up a fantastic song made better when Bob used the "phone call" to point out some people disregard gospel because of the message... following that up with the Zion Travelers is the musical DJ equivalent to Babe Ruth pointing before smacking one out of the park.

PostPosted: Sun November 16th, 2008, 18:54 GMT 

AWA wrote:
I think he was just using it to tee up a fantastic song made better when Bob used the "phone call" to point out some people disregard gospel because of the message... following that up with the Zion Travelers is the musical DJ equivalent to Babe Ruth pointing before smacking one out of the park.

I think this must be pretty close to the mark. I remember thinking it was a quite an amazing song. I am still sort of surprised he would so nearly repeat himself, as someone on the scriptwriting team keeps pretty close tabs on what information on a given group or singer has been used previously.

PostPosted: Mon November 17th, 2008, 15:27 GMT 

Well, I just loved it when he made his snide (and hilarious) reference to Wikipedia, when I was one of the people early on who wondered (out loud here) why it took a "research" team of 5 to copy and paste from Wikipedia!!!!!!!!!!!

But at least they have that stuff in there, otherwise it would be Bob saying "Here's another song I like" over and over inbetween music cuts.
:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon November 17th, 2008, 17:58 GMT 
Titanium Member

Location: where there ain't no police; ain't no need to escape from what is, only spirits at ease
So you don't think there really is a research team either? Guess my resume keeps going in Bob's circular file then :P