Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed December 13th, 2017, 11:14 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu November 13th, 2008, 15:55 GMT 

This is essentially an edited version of a post I made over at Dreamtime.

Dreamtime received more email on the SIRIUS XM channel changes than we have on any subject since the start of Season 3. We had a few messages from SIRIUS subscribers welcoming TTRH to the SIRIUS line-up, but some noted that the show did not air when they were typically listening in their cars. To a person, XM Radio listeners - whether internet or satellite radio subscribers - complained about the deletion of XMX from the new channel line-up. Several wrote that it would be difficult, if not impossible, for them to continue listening to TTRH at the current times. A few went to the extent of complaining that they would cancel their subscriptions.

Although I don't know the inner workings of SIRIUS XM radio, it seems a counterproductive business move not to have at least channel whose programming consists of repeating popular shows from other channels. To get all business-speak, it seems like a win-win situation. SIRIUS XM gets more air time for some of its more popular shows, probably at no additional cost (I think it can be safely assumed that the TTRH contract probably allows unlimited rebroadcast). Cadillac gets their sponsorship acknowledged more often. The listening audience grows since people have more options to hear TTRH. Now that I reflect on it, I wonder what percentage of TTRH's claimed 2 million listeners were picking up the show on XMX?

Getting XMX Back On the Air

TiVo, cable DVRs, podcasts, it's an on-demand world. Thanks to their podcasts, I listen to more public radio now than I ever have because I can shift my listening to Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me, Fresh Air and Car Talk to the times I want. Thanks to TiVo, my nightly channel line-up consists of shows I want to watch, rather than what a network programmer thinks I should be watching at that particular time.

SIRIUS XM is missing an opportunity not offering some version of on-demand in their channel line-up. A few of the newer SIRIUS XM radio receivers let you schedule and record shows for later listening, but most don't. We need XMX - or something like XMX - back on the air for Theme Time Radio Hour, as well as for Tom Petty's Buried Treasure, and for other SIRIUS XM shows we would listen to if it was convenient to listen to them.

If you agree, send an email to programming@xmradio.com and express your opinion.

Can we get XMX out of "retirement"? I don't know, but I'm betting that the only way it's going to happen is for us to tell XM we want it back, and we want the all-day TTRH back too.

PostPosted: Thu November 13th, 2008, 16:00 GMT 
Titanium Member

I agree. I am an XM subscriber and I hate the new Sirius format. I listen to TTRH on my computer at work, and sometimes I can't log on right on the hour. I missed the first part of Blood yesterday. It seems like there is more talk in between songs, shows, etc on other stations, as well. XMU is my favorite channel, but the new Sirius XMU is not the same. Ugh...mergers :roll:

PostPosted: Thu November 13th, 2008, 16:30 GMT 

I'm out, only subscribed out of respect for Bob but
won't fight to hear it through their formats/times etc.

directv has crap choices, too for xm --

saved: 75.00 a month

PostPosted: Mon November 17th, 2008, 14:55 GMT 

I've just sent them my polite but firm email. If they don't put Dylan's show at I time I can listen to it at least occasionally, I'll cancel my subscription. 8:00 is not my normal drive-time.
:x

PostPosted: Mon November 17th, 2008, 16:29 GMT 

I'll be interested in seeing if anyone gets a response from Sirius/XM and hope they'll post it here if they do.

So far, I haven't seen any response to the email I sent to XM on the 13th. Usually I get some sort of acknowledgment within a day or two. Postings over at the "XM Fan" forums - where there is an uproar over the various programming changes - note that the XM Washington offices are "decimated," and that there's a lot of confusion on the Sirius XM end about who's in charge of what.

PostPosted: Mon November 17th, 2008, 18:14 GMT 
Titanium Member

I haven't gotten any reponse to the email I sent, but will let you guys know if/when I hear anything.

PostPosted: Tue November 18th, 2008, 01:27 GMT 

For those who might want to copy it, and send your own, here is the message I sent to XM:

""Hello

I am writing to let you know that I very upset that XMX (Channel 2 on XM) has disappeared.

This channel was my only chance to listen to popular XM shows such as Theme Time Radio Hour, Tom Petty's Buried Treasure, and Marty Stuart's American Oddessy at times when it was convenient to me.

It seems to me that you are doing yourselves a tremendous dis-service by deleting this channel from your broadcast lineup. I can only speculate that you will lose a great many subscribers because of this poor decision. By having this channel, you reach a great many more listeners and also provide more air time for popular shows.

Hopefully you will re-think this decision, and get XMX back on the air, and soon!

Thank you.

Adam Dean""

So get those messages rolling into XM!!!!
Edited to acknowledge my 100th post here!!!!

PostPosted: Tue November 18th, 2008, 02:13 GMT 

I sent my email yesterday and haven't heard anything back. I essentially said the same thing as what is posted here. I don't know what the response will be - it seems like a f*** you type of move to do all the changes they did with absolutely no warning. I find it hard to believe that they can have that idiot Howard Stern on 24/7, yet can't do the XMX shows. (Some of you may disagree about Howard Stern, but I can't stand him.)