Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed October 18th, 2017, 00:22 GMT

All times are UTC

Is Theme Time as important to Bob's legacy as his song writing skills?
yes 25%  25%  [ 5 ]
no 75%  75%  [ 15 ]
Total votes : 20
PostPosted: Tue October 28th, 2008, 16:48 GMT 

Bob is the ultimate songwriter but how important do you think the radio shows are to what Bob leaves behind as it touches mainly on his influences or people he admired along the way.

PostPosted: Tue October 28th, 2008, 19:42 GMT 

I say yes mainly because his skills grow out of those influences.

(What is the reason for allowing 2 opinions to be selected in the vote? You can't quite say both yes and no to this, can ya?)

PostPosted: Tue October 28th, 2008, 19:47 GMT 

Its hard to measure the relative importance of anything Dylan does as compared to his songwriting. I believe Dylan the writer is what its all about.
What the radio show offers is confirmation of and insight into what many have long suspected: His dedication to, knowledge of, and love for, the American musical traditions and influences that he reflects as a writer and performer.
"Good writers borrow, Great writers steal"

PostPosted: Tue October 28th, 2008, 19:48 GMT 
Titanium Member

Location: where there ain't no police; ain't no need to escape from what is, only spirits at ease
I say no. Other people could do what he's doing with his show. Love and knowledge of music, good research team, writers, corny jokes - it could be redone a million different ways. Nobody can do what he did for songwriting.

I love Theme Time by the way, and consider it a musical education. Still doesn't match the education I've gotten from falling in love with his songs and the other artists I was willing to explore or was made aware of because of his music.

PostPosted: Wed October 29th, 2008, 12:47 GMT 

I think this poll is defined in problematic terms. Obviously TTRH is NOT AS important to Bob's legacy as his songwriting - this should be beyond any argument, really. The only reason Bob has been asked to do TTRH is his songwriting legacy. On the other hand, TTRH IS very important. Just like Chronicles it's not just some insignificant publicity stunt; it is indeed a rather important key to Bob's collected legacy (it will probably rank on the level as one or two of his better albums). It describes a certain Neo-Whitmanian school of understanding American music, history, cultural narrative, storytelling etc. And this school may very well be Dylan's most important musical, artistic, poetic and cultural achievement: his entire body of work (songwriting, performing and TTRH included) defines a certain way of dealing with self, time, myth, language and truth that only few masters have equaled. In fact, Bob Dylan is to American music what Picasso was to art, T.S. Elliott was to poetry and Martin Luther was to theology: a true reformer. And TTRH bears witness to that every Wednesday...

PostPosted: Sun November 2nd, 2008, 18:17 GMT 

Great Answer, CS Nielsen
(this from someone who completely forgot to set her clock back)

PostPosted: Sun November 2nd, 2008, 20:30 GMT 

What a weird question.

TTRH is absolutely NOT important to Dylan's song writing legacy - his songs are his, the music he plays on the radio shows is not.

However, TTRH sure is important to Dylan's legacy in all.

I think is nice how he guides us less educated (or not similarly educated) people to find new aspects in music and life :D I've been enjoying TTRH a lot!

PostPosted: Wed November 5th, 2008, 23:13 GMT 

No not as important but his radio shows are still spectacular in their ability to allow the listener one hour of sheer pleasure in word and song. I have learned so much about different types of music and the musicians and singers who made the records. Bob's jokes and sense of humor crack me up! I love the poetry he selects and and how he delivers the words. He would make an excellent visiting professor in a music department at some college. But perhaps he would be too shy to do such a gig, in person. I was thinking today, while listening to XM as I was driving around for work that the radio show works so well for him because he does not have to face an audience as he speaks. What a stark contrast all his radio talking is to his chosen mutism at his live concerts.