Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Mon October 23rd, 2017, 00:47 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: Is it just me??
PostPosted: Wed October 15th, 2008, 15:22 GMT 

I finally figured out how to get TTRH online. For all the respect I have for Bob and as much as I love the music he has created, this show is unlistenable. The music he chooses is just not at all appealing to me, and I find his commentary to add so little. Have I just heard a few dull shows or is this really how it goes? Are there any objective opinions out there? I know most people here are the type that would do jumping jacks over Bob reading out of the phone book, so I don't know if anyone would be willing to speak out in a negative way. Just curious if any other real fans were as turned off by the show as me. At least now I dont' have to regret having chosen Sirus a few years ago....

Post subject: Re: Is it just me??
PostPosted: Wed October 15th, 2008, 15:28 GMT 
Titanium Member

A lot of the music featured on TTRH is not something I would buy or download, but I do appreciate being introduced to it. TTRH is an educational show for me. I love hearing Bob's little jokes and fun facts. I've learned all kinds of trivia from listening. I don't think the show is intended as a forum for pop tunes that everyone knows.

PostPosted: Wed October 15th, 2008, 15:40 GMT 

I get it from that point of view. One thing that is really confusing me, is how these songs are influences on him. Bob is my parent's age, and a lot of the stuff he plays is stuff my Mom used to play. I just don't see the connection between what he plays on the radio and the things he has created. I wasn't looking for "pop" songs at all, and I do appreciate being introduced to new music, but man, this show makes me cringe. I'm listening to the "mom" episode right now. it is about the 3rd episode I've heard. i keep hoping that I'll "get it" with the next show, but I'm only more confused and disapointed. guess it's about time to bail...

PostPosted: Wed October 15th, 2008, 16:05 GMT 

yes

PostPosted: Wed October 15th, 2008, 16:08 GMT 

Thank you for all you added to the conversation. Very enlightening

PostPosted: Wed October 15th, 2008, 16:09 GMT 

Quote:
I get it from that point of view. One thing that is really confusing me, is how these songs are influences on him. Bob is my parent's age, and a lot of the stuff he plays is stuff my Mom used to play.

Your Mom had good taste. :lol:

Dylan has never said that this is music that has influenced him (maybe the XM Radio PR department has said that). Some of it is music he grew up with, probably just like your Mom, and is part of his personal history, just like we all have a personal playlist playing somewhere in the back of our heads. Some of it is music he liked/likes for a riff or a way the phrase is turned. As he said in the liner notes to the Artist's Choice CD: "...There're a lot of different ways for records to get under your skin. Sometimes it's the way they sound, sometimes it's the words. Maybe it's a guitar riff or horn line or maybe you feel like the singer is talking to you..."

Personally, I wouldn't analyze it past that. His tastes aren't necessarily to everyone tastes. Difference in opinions is what makes horse races interesting.

PostPosted: Wed October 15th, 2008, 16:14 GMT 

I think what i'm having the most problem with is the disconnect (at least as I see it) between what he would listen to/enjoy and what would then follow from him creatively. but maybe you are right and I'm just analyzing it too much...something to talk ab out on a wednesday though.......

PostPosted: Wed October 15th, 2008, 16:16 GMT 
Titanium Member

Some of the songs are lame, but they fit with the theme so perfectly that Bob just couldn't leave them off the list. :P

PostPosted: Wed October 15th, 2008, 16:32 GMT 

stuck_inside_of_maryland wrote:
I finally figured out how to get TTRH online. For all the respect I have for Bob and as much as I love the music he has created, this show is unlistenable. The music he chooses is just not at all appealing to me, and I find his commentary to add so little. Have I just heard a few dull shows or is this really how it goes? Are there any objective opinions out there? I know most people here are the type that would do jumping jacks over Bob reading out of the phone book, so I don't know if anyone would be willing to speak out in a negative way. Just curious if any other real fans were as turned off by the show as me. At least now I dont' have to regret having chosen Sirus a few years ago....
Not all of the songs are great. Actually, I would never own a lot of the stuff (maybe majority?), and some artists I already owned before I knew Dylan liked them.

I think what you're actually having a hard time accepting is the fact that this artist you love so much has (seemingly so far) nothing in common with your own musical taste. It's a hard pill to swallow, but just move on. :wink:

However, I personally don't understand how you don't like his commentary. Besides Chronicles, that's is true insight into Dylan if there ever was one. You understand how he thinks about many things, and what things he appreciates and doesn't appreciate (unless of course this is something you have zero interest in.) This show has passed over many heads, don't feel alone. But I think one day, it will click.

PostPosted: Wed October 15th, 2008, 16:38 GMT 

how wonderfully condesending of you. thanks. Seems what i'm getting at has gone over your head. Let me know if it clicks......some people...

PostPosted: Wed October 15th, 2008, 16:52 GMT 

Quote:
I think what i'm having the most problem with is the disconnect (at least as I see it) between what he would listen to/enjoy and what would then follow from him creatively.

It's a common problem. I can't count the times I've read a recommendation from some artist I enjoy - be it writer or musician - and been disappointed when I read/listened to the recommendations. An artist's tastes don't necessarily reflect what the artist is producing.

PostPosted: Wed October 15th, 2008, 17:18 GMT 

Fred@Dreamtime wrote:
Quote:
I think what i'm having the most problem with is the disconnect (at least as I see it) between what he would listen to/enjoy and what would then follow from him creatively.

It's a common problem. I can't count the times I've read a recommendation from some artist I enjoy - be it writer or musician - and been disappointed when I read/listened to the recommendations. An artist's tastes don't necessarily reflect what the artist is producing.

That is my point. I guess I was making the assumption that influences would on some level equate to results. Lesson learned!

PostPosted: Wed October 15th, 2008, 17:26 GMT 

I hear riffs from his songs on the show, lines of lyrics...
I hear the influence loud and clear---
esp in the country music.

my mom didn't listen to that much James Brown! or the O'Jays
How lucky for you ~~

Bob isn't narrow minded, that's been the best part

PostPosted: Wed October 15th, 2008, 18:34 GMT 

how wonderfully condesending of you. thanks. Seems what i'm getting at has gone over your head. Let me know if it clicks......some people...
LOL! What? That is the very first time I've been accused of condescension in my life. You've succeeded in surprising me. Although I don't see how my comment warranted an insult. :?

When I said it went "over people's heads", I didn't mean you didn't "get" something, per se What I was saying is exactly what you said. You couldn't understand why Bob would play stuff that seems to have no connection to the music he himself made. I was saying it went over you. Ok, I see how this came off rude...if I was speaking to you instead of typing you would hear my tone of voice ...
My point is that it doesn't matter ... to me.
That's the stuff he was exposed to.
eta: actually I re-read what I wrote, the over the heads comment was more directed at Bob's commentarty. That will click. Not the music necessarily.

PostPosted: Wed October 15th, 2008, 22:25 GMT 

It's been over a year since I've posted but....
I often have to admit to myself that I listen just because it's Dylan. I try to play devil's advocate and ask myself, "Be honest, if this music were on any other show or broadcast, would you turn it off by now?" Probably yes. I find it more like gambling is proported to be, you're not getting what you want or expect, but then comes the occasional gold nugget that keeps you coming back.
Fortunately, TTRH holds lot of nuggets for me personally. A lot of it is musical. I'm probably as old as some of your parents and the playlist hearkens back to stuff I remember or may have missed the first time around. I won't bore anyone with what I find interesting, etc as that's all personal taste. And the songs I find utterly confounding - the Monkees in season 1, for example - again let's be honest. We have no idea how much of the programming is Dylan, Goredetsky (?sic) or the research staff. Listen to the inflection in Dylan's voice and you can try to guess when there's sarcasm or sincerity, but you never really know , do you? Do I know Dylan better for having listened for 2 going on 3 seasons. No. Maybe I do appreciate the role that perhaps most of these songs have played in molding him as a musician, and maybe I can pretend to interpret and say "Romance in Durango" is Dyaln's "Streets of El Paso." But it's a guess and a personal fantasy, nothing more.
So for me, it's an escape from the generally poor standard programming here in Southeastern Virginia. Then, at times infrequent, at times often, there is the wry humor of the guy who sang "Hard Rain's Gonna Fall" when he tells a dumb blonde joke.
Most people I know have no idea about the show and have no interest in it. But it works for me. And I can see why it doesn't work for many others. I wouldn't claim special insight. And wouldn't question why anyone might not "get it."
Maybe it's like raw oysters. You have to eat 3. Given you will hate the first two. If you hate the third, you'll never like raw oysters; love the 3rd and you're hooked.

PostPosted: Wed October 15th, 2008, 22:57 GMT 

I get it. disagreement meets with flame.

PostPosted: Thu October 16th, 2008, 08:57 GMT 

While Dylan put paid to Tin Pan Alley he apparently liked a lot of the music. I guess a lot of posters expect him to be restricted in terms of his likes and dislikes. The fact that he loved Sinatra and Crosby must annoy some. The fact that he once praised the lyric'

To know, know, know him,
is to love,love,love him,
and I do.

must confuse a few people. I think his eclectic tastes produced his style and his capacity to make many kinds of music. I have never heard the show, but I will give it a spin.

PostPosted: Thu October 16th, 2008, 11:56 GMT 

as Bob would say "what the hell's wrong with ya"

PostPosted: Thu October 16th, 2008, 18:25 GMT 

Quote:
I guess I was making the assumption that influences would on some level equate to results. Lesson learned!

It might be instructive to read Oh Mercy engineer Malcolm Malcolm Burn interview in Uncut.
Quote:
"...we were just trying to get ready in the normal way, and then, I a week before we were due to start recording, we received a cassette from Bob. And I thought, Oh, great, we’re going hear some songs. We got this cassette, and it had this little note from Bob: “Listen to this, this’ll give you a good idea of what’s going on.” And so Dan and I and Mark Howard, the other engineer, we sat down to listen to this cassette, and we put it in the machine – and this Al Jolson music started playing.
And we were like, "What the x? Al Jolson?” So, we fast-forwarded it, and it was just a whole tape of Al Jolson. And we looked back at the note, and it said. “Listen to this. You can learn a lot.” So Dan and I sort of looked at each other and – you know, Al Jolson’s great –but we sort of thought it was a bit odd.

But, y’know, anyway, when Bob arrived and we started making the record, I’d sort of forgotten about this. And then, one evening in the middle of recording, we were taking a little break, and somehow, something came up about favourite singers, and who were great influences, especially when it comes to phrasing. Bob had said a number of times that phrasing was sort of everything. You can have really great lyrics, but if you don’t deliver them properly, they’re not gonna mean a thing. And it’s quite true. And in this conversation, Bob said, “My two favourite singers are Frank Sinatra and Al Jolson.” And I thought, wow, now I get it. And it’s interesting, because when you have that in your head and you go back and listen to Al Jolson, you can sort of make the correlation with Bob Dylan, that concatenation, that kind of rapid-fire thing. That was kind of an interesting learning experience. Al Jolson. Bob Dylan. We had a couple of nice conversations. I remember at one point I’d asked him who his favourite sonwriters were, and without hesitation he said, “Gordon Lightfoot and Kris Kristofferson. Those are the guys.”

PostPosted: Sat October 18th, 2008, 16:25 GMT 

The novelty of the IDEA of the show appealed to me at first, like: WOW, what will THIS be like????!!!

Then I realized maybe they like toying with us, like the "Classic Rock" show had nothing to do with fm radio classic rock, but songs about rocks... you know, silly stuff like that. But I couldn't imagine that sustaining a season, let alone now 3 seasons.

Then I kind of got into going onto You Tube and finding videos posted there of people I (sadly) never heard of. Anita O'Day is one of the earliest ones I remember this happened to me. WOW. So then I felt like the lamest person on earth, how had I never known about ANITA O'DAY?????!!!!!! Then I realized I was getting a big education about stuff I wasn't really familar with.

Then he made George Jones the most played artist on Theme Time. (just to SPITE ME, I AM CERTAIN!!!!) (I kid, I kid.)

Then I came across some wonderfully knowledgeable and friendly posters here on ER, Pierre Ponette (Picasso from Belguim) (who recently and tragically passed away, oh too soon) and the prolific and assiduously scholarly and fun Fred@Dreamtime... all of which leads me to believe none of this world would have been open to me had BD merely played a pedestrian playlist of known quantities from the top skin of the onion of contemporary radio-ville.

He piqued my curiousity about artists I never heard of before, and made me wish George Jones had never learned how to sing.
:lol:

As in many of these types of things, YMMV.
(your mileage may vary.)
Sincerely,
MudCakeCreature

PS: I also used to be stuck inside of Md, but I moved. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon October 20th, 2008, 10:10 GMT 

MudCakeCreature wrote:

I got our for 5 years and made it back somehow...what an idiot...

PostPosted: Mon October 20th, 2008, 16:08 GMT 

MudCakeCreature wrote:

I got our for 5 years and made it back somehow...what an idiot...

Just out of curiosity, how old are you?

PostPosted: Tue October 21st, 2008, 10:12 GMT 

PostPosted: Thu October 30th, 2008, 03:23 GMT 

wow it never occured to me that people may not like bob's show because of the music he plays, that's precisely why i love it so much, that and the great stories he tells, and bob's humor and voice :D but the first time i heard it, it was refreshing to hear how wonderfully eclectic it was, i've heard so much music and history through him that i'd never been exposed to before, every new show is a learning experience for me, i drink it up like a thirsty man in the desert, and usually listen to every show at least a couple of times if i can...

the show where he played the 'shoebox' song, that was the night show wasn't it? was pretty funny, and during that song, i said several times to the other listeners in the room, "this is driving me nuts!" and right after the song bob said something to the effect of
'that song'll drive you nuts", which made us all laugh pretty hard cause it did drive me nuts :D