Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sun October 22nd, 2017, 10:19 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue July 29th, 2008, 14:07 GMT 

As you probably already know, bobdylan.com has relaunched with a completely redesigned site that includes the announcement of Bootleg Series 8 - Tell Tale Signs (to be released October 7)

According to this page, the first 5000 people who order any one of the three Tell Tale Sign packages will receive a free TTRH poster. This is the same artwork that was available for download/viewing on the old bobdylan.com site for the past few months, but now available in a print edition.

The old link, btw, to the high-rez download version of the TTRH poster is now dead, although I imagine copies of it still available around the Web. In any case, glad I downloaded when I did, and though it cost me $40, I already have a print version of the poster, indeed hanging above my desk as I type this.

PostPosted: Wed July 30th, 2008, 07:08 GMT 

That deluxe pack is way overpriced though.

And though the new Bob site is great (and launched, it seems, a little prematurely as there are some problems), there is a major lack of Theme Time content, of which there should have / could have been plenty of (playlists, show info, annotated ttrh official stuff, etc etc etc). Considering there are probably at least a million people or so out there that are interested in Bob solely because of that show and for no other reason, they should have addressed that. Maybe they will in the future. I have seen Dylan site upgrades before but there is a major lack of followup in terms of maintaining the updates, upkeep, etc. We'll see though.

PostPosted: Wed July 30th, 2008, 13:42 GMT 

Quote:
That deluxe pack is way overpriced though.

Heartily agree. You know, offer a $130 "deluxe pack" if you want Sony/BMG, but don't blackmail Dylan fans into buying it in order to get a third disc of 12 songs. You just know that bonus disc is going to be torrented within days after release. And Sony is going to be moanin' "oh, my, we're going to go broke 'cause those terrible fans keep stealin' our music. Oh, woe is is us."

sigh. End of rant. I'm hoping that maybe they'll offer some alternative though Amazon or iTunes, or even through bobdylan.com, which looks like they're experimenting with offering digital downloads through http://www.hipdigitalmedia.com/. Keep the packaging, I just want the music... at a reasonable price.

Did I say, "end of rant"? :lol:

Quote:
And though the new Bob site is great (and launched, it seems, a little prematurely as there are some problems)

Agree on that, too. Dreamtime was actually supposed to be part of a beta group testing the site (I believe Karl Erik was too), but Sony/BMG ran into some problems, time ran out as the relaunch was tied into the Tell-Tale announcement, and they forged ahead, bugs and all. On the other hand, the one-time load on the servers would have probably brought down almost anything except Amazon S3 or Google.

My overall impression of the new site after playing with it over the last couple of days or so is generally positive, and I think it has great potential.

I'm not a big enthusiast for Flash-heavy sites (he says while ignoring the various Flash widgets on Dreamtime), :oops: but I feel most of the Flash (and/or "flash") on bobdylan.com adds value to the content rather than being simply bells-n'whistles. A notable exception for me was the very buggy "GEO" section which crashed my Firefox browser (twice), and doesn't seem to work as it's supposed to even when not crashing. On the other hand, the "Tour" section, especially the Archives is very nicely done, including set-lists and an "I Was There" feature that allows fans to mark shows that they attended.

Speaking of potential, while the "Create a playlist" feature is nice, getting only snippets of songs isn't. Personally, I'd pay a subscription fee - a la Pandora - to be able to set up a jukebox on bobdylan.com where I could select and listen to complete songs. Tie that into being able to purchase/download the songs, and it'd be a "win-win" situation for everyone, he sez while running up a flagpole and saluting.

Quote:
there is a major lack of Theme Time content, of which there should have / could have been plenty of (playlists, show info, annotated ttrh official stuff, etc etc etc).

You know, AWA, I'm embarrassed to say that never occurred to me, and you're quite right, of course. I'm not sure exactly what the relationship between Sony/BMG and Sirius XM Radio is, if any, but yeah, there definitely should be a TTRH component on the site.

Quote:
I have seen Dylan site upgrades before but there is a major lack of followup in terms of maintaining the updates, upkeep, etc.

Yeah, the difference is that things like Expecting Rain, Dreamtime, the Annotated TTRH site, the people who maintain the Wikipedia pages, etc. etc. versus "official" stuff like bobdylan.com or the pitiful TTRH page on the XM site is that we do it as a labor of love, while to them it's probably just another job. Dig around the new bobdylan.com site, and you'll find that at least four different external vendors were involved in its creation: I'll betcha dollars to donuts there were committees, management reviews, studies, re-studies, white papers, PowerPoint presentations, risk/reward cost benefits, Excel spreadsheets, power lunches with martinis, and what-all involved. :lol: On the other hand, give the whole damn thing to me, you, Karl Erik or any fan, and we'd probably do a better job.

As you said, we'll see.

PostPosted: Wed July 30th, 2008, 17:35 GMT 

I hope they plan on adding a major Theme Time page into the mix soon - perhaps there was some legal issues to work out with XM-Sirus first, who are probably busy with the merger rather than dealing with granting Sony the right to officially publicize material about and from their program. But something should be worked out there, even if XM uses the exact same content and layout in frames website sort of set up, where by XM's site gets the equal amount of content that Bob's site gets (and which would serve the interest in TTRH the best because fans seeking out the show's official presence on the web could find it either through XM's site or Bob's site - and they'd all find the same thing and find it together by doing so, which would sort of "unit the community", so to speak).

Right now the official TTRH site is kind of pointless - they just seem to redirect everyone here, and, as you know, the TTRH forum is dead when the show isn't going and, in general, we as BobCats probably intimidate the hell out of the several other millions of casual radio show fans who don't want to have to engage with a bunch of hardcore Dylan fans when they don't particular know much about or care to about Bob - they just like the show. I personally know a couple TT fans who are like that.

The flash stuff on the new website is ok, but still I think you could make do without it still using some more practical code (in fact, the folks over at the NEP might be about to do just that, winkwink). Overall though, this is the first time in 10 years that Bob's site has been on the cutting edge of the Net and it is nice to see them do so much with content.

Yes ... problem is definitely going to be keeping them up to date, as it always is. When I briefly was involved in running Lucinda Williams' website... and planning a new one for her... for then manager and late Frank Callari (RIP), he talked about the problems of having an official website run by people who didn't really know or care or had time to constantly do all the things to maintain it, which is why he wanted to bring me in, as a big fan with big ideas with some skills to back them up with, to do it. I made some suggestions, which, for a variety of reasons, didn't get immediately implemented (partially due to Frank dying, obviously), but a lot of my ideas are on the current website (including their pretty interesting thing with setlists, which was a major point of my suggestions, the design, layout... although mine would have been much more organized than the slight mess they made of it now..., etc). The site build is easy enough to do if you hire someone to do it... it is the maintaining of it that is much, much harder to do... and once you slip and get behind, it gets hard to catch up. Just a few years ago the official Dylan site was trying to keep up with his setlists from Pagel's site. That didn't work out so well, obviously.

If they are really smart and really eager to make this new Dylan site work though - they will be wise to follow-up on their inquiries into working with some of the major online Dylan sites to help us and help us help them - ie, it would be great if they added a TTRH page that you maintained in terms of updating and adding content, Karl handling news updates and the community discussions, Pagel handling keeping the setlists and setlist archives up to date, Thomas and the NEP crew handling off-site integration, etc etc etc. Would make sense.

PostPosted: Sat August 2nd, 2008, 17:53 GMT 

Quote:
they forged ahead, bugs and all.

$130....
pfffft

on the Geo section....
try to get Anaheim or Irvine in Southern California &
get back to us how long that takes you ---

All I care about right now is Pechanga & TTRH.
wish them the best