Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue October 24th, 2017, 09:37 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: Recommendations?
PostPosted: Sat June 28th, 2008, 10:33 GMT 
Titanium Member

I'm looking forward to driving down PCH 1 from San Francisco to San Diego next month (in a Ford Mustang convertible!!). If anyone could recommend any appropriately good Theme Time shows to take along on this road trip adventure, I'd be mighty grateful. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat June 28th, 2008, 13:10 GMT 

To offer the obvious, I'd take the three Big C's: Cadillac, Cars, and California for a road trip up/down the Coast.

The double-barreled "Birds" and "More Birds" from Season 2 are also very good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat June 28th, 2008, 14:17 GMT 

Moon show is excellent!

Post subject: Re: Recommendations?
PostPosted: Sat June 28th, 2008, 17:33 GMT 

precinct14 wrote:
I'm looking forward to driving down PCH 1 from San Francisco to San Diego next month (in a Ford Mustang convertible!!). If anyone could recommend any appropriately good Theme Time shows to take along on this road trip adventure, I'd be mighty grateful. :D

P14, when are you planning on making this trip? The road has been closed for over a week due to a massive fire in Monterey county around Big Sur. 42 square miles are charcoal and 16 or so houses have been lost. If you're coming late in the month, the fire should be out and the smoke cleared, but the scenery might be a little bleak. (So far, I don't think it's burned right down to the highway.)

I live within sight of Hwy1, about 60 miles south of Big Sur. PM me if you want updates or travel info.

As to Theme Time, obviously your first choice should be Episode 54, (Oct. 10, 2007) CALIFORNIA. It wasn't my favorite, but will get you in the mood. Favorite episodes include:
MOON (Dec. 6, 06)
COLORS ((Feb. 28, 07)
NEW YORK (Apr. 4, 07)
all from Season One, and if you haven't heard episode one, WEATHER (May 3, 06) that's great, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat June 28th, 2008, 18:18 GMT 
Titanium Member

ASM, Fred and Carolina, thanks so much for your suggestions. Weather was great, and twood also recommended it.

ASM: that's very sad news about the fire. We leave San Francisco on July 27 then stay at Half Moon Bay, Carmel, Cambria and Santa Barbara en route to San Diego. I did the drive 1n 1993 with a mate, but my family have never been to the States, and it seems like a perfect introduction- before the kids fly the coop. We're also going to detour from Cambria to Cholame, so that I can revisit the James Dean memorial at the Jack Ranch Cafe. I'll pm you for more info nearer the time ASM. Cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon June 30th, 2008, 20:23 GMT 

p14, me old mucker: the best shows are Jail, Devil and Fool. They're not particularly appropriate, but they're the best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue July 1st, 2008, 13:42 GMT 
Titanium Member

Cheers, mack. May this old fool not end up in a California jail with the Devil.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed July 2nd, 2008, 00:40 GMT 

I think the shows I enjoyed most were Weather, Texas, and Coffee.

Can't disagree with the other choices... but the above are my personal favorites...

PostPosted: Thu July 3rd, 2008, 06:28 GMT 

precinct14 wrote:

If you got your heart set on listening to 'Theme Time Radio' shows for the drive, I would suggest the two 'Spring Cleaning' shows from (I believe) season one.

Personally, I get a little tired of the whole theme concept. After about the 4th or 5th song, I don't wanna hear anymore songs about Jail's....or Shoe's......or fukkin' Tennessee.

Don't get me wrong, I think there are situations where that would be enjoyable, like for instance: if I were to spend a night in Jail, I think I might wanna hear an hour of songs about Jail's...or

...if I had my iPod and was attending the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show, I might enjoy an hour's worth of songs about Dog's...etc.

The Spring Cleaning shows offer a collection of songs throughout the season that were left out. So you get a nice potpourri of theme's. Plus he gives you cleaning tips! His banter between songs is actually useful, rather than giving you meaningless facts about how many jail cells are in the United States.

So that would be my suggestion along with, of course, 'California' which would fit perfectly with what I just mentioned.

It's great to hear that you'll be in the neighborhood. I'll try to be on the lookout for a gentleman wearing a burqa driving a Ford Mustang convertible. But I'll be honest with you, I see that all the time so I might have a hard time picking you out... so I won't make you any promises.

Nevertheless, I wish you and your family nothing but the best and hope you all have a fun and safe trip.

PostPosted: Thu July 3rd, 2008, 20:20 GMT 
Titanium Member

monkey wrote:
It's great to hear that you'll be in the neighborhood. I'll try to be on the lookout for a gentleman wearing a burqa driving a Ford Mustang convertible. But I'll be honest with you, I see that all the time so I might have a hard time picking you out... so I won't make you any promises.

Nevertheless, I wish you and your family nothing but the best and hope you all have a fun and safe trip.

Monsieur Monkey, many thanks for the advice and kind words. The burqa may have to stay under wraps, for immigration purposes. I wouldn't want to add another 11 hours to the 11 hour flight. Look out for me though as I slot-car race down one of the Powell & Hyde tramlines, ceremonial robes flowin' in the wind. Where was that frozen margarita bar? :wink:

PostPosted: Wed July 16th, 2008, 06:17 GMT 

well, gudluck to journey....

-----------------
Background Check Report | Free Background Checks | Sex Offenders

PostPosted: Sat August 2nd, 2008, 17:47 GMT 

I don't know if it's just because it was the first one I ever heard, but I feel strongly that the "Hello" show from season 2 is the best one I've heard thus far...

Great mix of excellent songs("Hello It's Me" by The Naz, "Hello Stranger" by Barbara Lewis", and "Hello in There" by John Prine) and fun/interesting songs("Hello" by the Sherman Williams Orchestra, "Hello Trouble" by Buck Owens).

So yeah, I highly recommend that show. Great balance.