Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Mon December 18th, 2017, 18:40 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat April 5th, 2008, 20:53 GMT 

Bob played Billy Lee Riley's "Red Hot" on the "Heat" show and said that he had already told us his story and therefore would not tell us about him this time around. But as far as I can remember he had neither played nor mentioned Billy Lee Riley before on Theme Time Radio Hour. Or am I wrong? I think that the second season was shorter than originally intended and some shows that had already been recorded were left out which resulted in this continuity blunder. Opinions anyone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat April 5th, 2008, 22:08 GMT 

That puzzled me too. Also, the only other time I've heard this song was in a movie I was watching on TV years ago. People were jiving to it. Does anyone know the name of the film?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun April 6th, 2008, 02:51 GMT 

According to my personal index Bob played Billy Riley only once. So on the TTRH #74 Heat track 17. I can't remember if he ever talked about this excellent musician on another occasion during the two seasons. Googling I read Dylan liked the guy and rediscovered him in 1992.
However our deejay played twice (TTRH 12 & 74) Billy 'The Kid' Emerson, the creator of the original Red Hot 1955 version. Maybe the old Bob is getting confused. ;-)
The interesting thing to know is the incident B. Riley had with Sam Phillips when under contract with the Sun label. I suppose this is what Bob is referring to.
http://www.enotes.com/contemporary-musi ... -biography
"Nearly a Star with "Red Hot"
Although "Flying Saucers Rock 'n' Roll" was a decent regional seller, Riley was looking to break nationally. Employing the same Little Richard-inspired rasp as on his previous single, his call-and-response reworking of Billy "The Kid" Emerson's "Red Hot" seemed to hold the key. No less a figure than legendary deejay Alan Freed assured him it would be a top-five record. Unfortunately, Sun was often hampered by limited financial resources that occasionally dictated tough choices. After Jerry Lee Lewis recorded "Great Balls of Fire," Riley actually overheard Phillips canceling pressing orders for his record in favor of Lewis's. Infuriated, Riley got drunk, broke into the Sun studios, and began to tear the place apart. Phillips, a master psychologist among record producers, quickly appeared and convinced the frustrated singer that he had better, more grandiose plans for Riley. Appeased, Riley walked away feeling like the biggest star on Sun, but eventually he lost respect for Phillips who reportedly told him later, "I can't let you have a hit record. If I did, you'd take your band and go out on the road."

So My Echo, My Shadow, Etc 's vision seems acceptable to me due to sudden interruption canning process episodes after restructure XM!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun April 6th, 2008, 13:44 GMT 

Thanks a lot guys! Anyway it's great that we got to hear three of the all-time greatest Rockabilly musicians (largely forgotten by the general public) on TTRH: Charlie Feathers (perhaps the greatest Rockabilly artist EVER), Warren Smith and Billy "Lee" Riley!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun April 6th, 2008, 13:56 GMT 

Charlie Feathers' "Defrost Your Heart" 45 also is a great example of what Bob mentioned on the show, namely the treasures to be found on the flip sides of singles in those days. In this case SUN 231 with "Wedding Gown Of White" on the B-side. One of the most devastatingly beautiful Country/Rockabilly ballads of all time!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon April 7th, 2008, 12:46 GMT 

Quote:
...think that the second season was shorter than originally intended and some shows that had already been recorded were left out which resulted in this continuity blunder.

I like this theory; it explains a lot of the strangeness of Season 2. Lee Abrams leaving? The pending takeover by Sirius? Eddie G.'s cold got worse? Maybe a combination of all or more caused the truncated Season 2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri April 11th, 2008, 15:00 GMT 

Billy Lee once guested with Bob on a version of Red Hot ! -
Little Rock 1992-09-08

Available here on a 1992 compilation I did -
http://www.hungercity.org/details.php?id=105

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri April 11th, 2008, 16:14 GMT 

Wow, what awesome info, thanks for the history lesson.

re: the continuation of the show
Even with the merger with Sirius I hope Theme Time Radio Hour can continue on, but as these things go "the best laid plans of mice and men often go awry" so the new management may have the last word on that.... at least the gang put forth a great effort and a great series and I am sure they had fun themselves in the process. As far as I am concerned it was the most entertaining program I anticipated every week, very creative and fun and NOTHING like everything else in the mainstream media airwaves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri April 18th, 2008, 14:59 GMT