Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue July 22nd, 2014, 07:19 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Fri January 27th, 2012, 08:39 GMT 

Hi all,

Would it be possible for each of the TTRH scientists to post their confirmed new findings /additions which are published here on the wikipedia TTRH playlist pages?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theme_Time ... Season_One
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theme_Time ... Season_Two
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theme_Time ... ason_Three

So that one day there will be one central curated dataset?

Cheers,
Ko

PostPosted: Sat February 4th, 2012, 01:17 GMT 

Kodok, yeah, I was thinking about that. Probably will do so after I'm done with the 1st season, if other contributors wouldn't mind.

I heaven't had much time yet to search for the other songs from the previous episode, and before we'll move one to the next one, I have a request in advance. In the episode "Trains" (45) there's a song (rather - performance) by the Lord Buckley called "The Train." On the internet there's a transcription of the version of this number - http://homepage.mac.com/tedgoranson/Bea ... rain4.html - but tt's a bit different from the one featured on TTRH. Could someone help me out to transcribe it? - after the words “What’s the matter over there, Charlie?” - it's almost at the end of the track, where the crash starts to happen, where I really can't understand almost anything, up until the final lines "Twenty-seven dead and fourteen injured." Any help will do.

Meanwhile, "Tears." Two unknown songs, one of which can be identified - at the end of the episode.

39 Tears

[Roland Kirk – “The Inflated Tear” in the background]

“Lady in Red” (Ellen Barkin): It's night time in the Big City. Three homeless men share a bottle around a trash can inferno. A rock goes through a window on 12th Street.

“Lady in Red” (Ellen Barkin): It’s Theme Time Radio Hour, with your host Bob Dylan.

Bob Dylan: Well, welcome to Theme Time Radio Hour. In the background – some very sad music, because this week we’re gonna learn about sad clowns, crocodiles, and tearstained make-up. We’re gonna look at a river of tears, as we learn about crying. So grab yourself a Kleenex, heck, you better grab the whole box.

[Roland Kirk – “The Inflated Tear” in the background ends]

Bob Dylan: Not all songs about crying are necessarily sad. This one at leas sounds happy. It’s by ? and the The Mysterians – they were the first major latino rock group. Led by Rudy Martinez, who actually changed his name to ? He’s the only guy I know, except for Prince, whose name is punctuation. ? never appears in public without his sunglasses; I gotta admit, they did make him look pretty cool. Here’s Rudy and the group which named itself after the 1957 Japanese science fiction film “The Mysterians.” ? and the The Mysterians. You’re gonna cry 96 tears.

[? and The Mysterians – “96 Tears” starts playing.]

Bob Dylan: Or (thereabouts?).

[? and The Mysterians – “96 Tears”]

Bob Dylan: That was ? and The Mysterians. ? was somewhat eccentric, he claimed to be a Martian who lived with dinosaurs in a past life. He actually still claims that voices told him he would be performing “96 Tears” in the year 10.000. Mark it down on your calendar.

[unknown excerpt]

Bob Dylan: Here’s the lovely and talented Anita O’Day. She sand with the Gene Krupa Big Band, but here she is in from of the Stan Kenton Band. Check out her autobiography from 19 and 81, “Hard Times, Hard Times,” she pulls no punches when talk about her drug addiction and cold turkey. This is Anita O’Day, a real sad tomato and a busted valentine, and the song “And Her Tears Flowed Like Wine.”

[Anita O’Day – “And Her Tears Flowed Like Wine”]

Bob Dylan: That was Anita O’Day, her tears are flowing like wine, on this tears-soaked edition of Theme Time Radio Hour. [Roland Kirk – “The Inflated Tear” in the background] Tears are liquid produced by the body’s process of lacrimation to clean and lubricate the eyes, there’s one lacrimal gland located above and beside each eye, you may wanna use some drops in the drop weather. [Roland Kirk – “The Inflated Tear” in the background fades out] Let me move along here before I bore you to tears. My old buddy Robert Charles Guidry was better known as Bobby Charles, and he was more successful as a songwriter than a singer. And that’s a sin ‘cause he’s a hell of a singer. He’s got one of the most melodious voices ever transferred to a piece of vinyl. He was probably best known for a little song he wrote called “See You Later, Alligator." He recorded it, but it didn’t become a big pop hit until Bill Haley covered it. A little bit later on Bobby went over to Hub-City and recorded a bunch of country music for them, like this record – “Big Boys Cry.” Here’s Bobby Charles.

[Bobby Charles – “Big Boys Cry”]

Bob Dylan: That was Bobby Charles, he was better known as a songwriter than as a singer, and as I said before that’s a sin, ‘cause the boy could sing like a bird, he still does as a matter of fact. “Big Boys Cry” on Theme Time Radio Hour. And everybody cries sometimes.

[Solomon Burke – “Cry to Me” starts playing]

Bob Dylan: Here’s a mighty, mighty man, a mammoth talent, by the name of Solomon Burke. He’s the father of 14 daughters and 7 sons. I hope they all behave.
He has 64 grandchildren, and 8 great-grand children. No wonder he’s singing this song – “Cry to Me,” Solomon Burke.

[Solomon Burke – “Cry to Me”]

Bob Dylan: That was Solomon Burke, on Atlantic records, singing a song written by Bert Russell, “Cry to Me” on Theme Time Radio Hour. Thomas Fuller once said: “We are born crying, live complaining, and die disappointed.” Hank Williams knew what he was talking about, this song was about a very specific depression, inspired by his troubled relationship with his wife Audrey Sheppard. Hear that lonesome whippoorwill, he sounds too blue to fly, “I’m So Lonesome I Could Cry.”

[Hank Williams – “I’m So Lonesome I Could Cry”]

Bob Dylan: That was Hiram Hank Williams. A song that hit number one on the Billboard country chart in 19 and 49, “I’m So Lonesome I Could Cry.” Hank Williams, taken from us too soon. Here’s one of the sexiest, most sultry records ever recorded. A deserved smash – “Cry Me a River,” Julie London. I never forget seeing her appear as a vision to Tom Ewell in the motion picture “The Girl Can’t Help It.”

[“The Girl Can’t Help It” excerpt:
“Oh, Mr. Miller? Why do you drink so much?”
“Just a habit, I suppose.”
“A girl habit?”
“Girl? No, haven't got a girl.”
“Mr. Miller? If it was Julie London... She wasn’t very bright”]

[Julie London – “Cry Me a River” starts playing]

Bob Dylan: Here she is, singing that same song “Cry Me a River.” Julie London.

[Julie London – “Cry Me a River”]

Bob Dylan: The sophisticated and sultry Julie London, “Cry Me a River.” We still got plenty of tears to shed here on our crying edition of Theme Time Radio Hour. Here’s a song by Jimmy Nelson, his nickname was T-99, after the big hit he had in 19 and 51. He quit music for a long time to work at the oil refinery. But in recent years he’s released a bunch of exiting new blues records. Here’s one of his old one’s though. And you gotta love a guy which tells you how long the record you’re about to listen to is.

[Jimmy Nelson – “I Sat and Cried”]

Bob Dylan: That’s Jimmy T-99 Nelson, recording for the RPM record label, featuring Maxwell Davis on the saxophone, and Lester Young’s brother Lee on drums. A couple other great songs by Jimmy are “Married Men Like to Sport Too,” “Unlock the Lock,” “Second Hand Fool” and “Meet Me With Your Black Dress On.”

[“A League of Their Own” (1992) excerpt:
“Are you crying?”
“No.”
“Are you crying? There’s no crying. There’s no crying in baseball. There’s no crying in baseball! No crying!”]

Bob Dylan: Smokey Robinson wrote a lot of great songs about tears. But here’s one that isn’t so well known, but is just as good. As a matter of fact, it’s one of Elvis Costello’s favorite Motown tracks of all. Here’s Elvis talking about it.

[Elvis Costello: Well, Smokey Robinson, certainly, he kinda had that... he kinda annexed tears from everybody, I think, early on, you know. He made sure that tears belonged to him, I thinks, ‘cause of... not just ‘cause of “Tears of a Clown", but also “Tracks of My Tears”, and my personal favourite which is “No More Tearstained Make-Up” which is, I think, the best song the Smokey wrote that’s not well known.]

[The Marvelettes – “No More Tear Stained Make-Up” starts playing]

[Elvis Costello: It says, “No sponge has the power, to absorb the shower, of what pancake and powder couldn't cover.” That’s so beautiful.]

Bob Dylan: Here’s The Marvelettes, “No More Tear Stained Make-Up.”

[The Marvelettes – “No More Tear Stained Make-Up”]

Bob Dylan: That was The Marvelettes, maybe the most pop-oriented of Motown’s major female acts, their two strong lead singers Gladys Horton and Wanda Young, and they were singing a song written by Smokey Robinson, “No More Tear Stained Make-Up,” here on Theme Time Radio Hour.

[unknown excerpt]

Bob Dylan: Before he went totally silver, Charlie Rich, The Silver Fox, started out making some rockabilly sides for Sun Records. Writing songs for Jerry Lee Lewis, and recording songs on his own, such as “Who Will the Next Fool Be,” “Sitting And Thinking,” “No Headstone on My Grave,” and his biggest hit of the period “Lonely Weekends.” But Sun Record ran out of steam in the mid-60s and Charlie went off to RCA, after that he went to Smash where he recorded out next song. Some people know about the Whisky a Go-Go, but Charlie knows about a little place called “Tears a Go-Go.” This is Charlie Rich.

[Charlie Rich – “Tears a Go-Go”]

Bob Dylan: That was Charile Rick, of course, he knows about a place where you can’t have smile on your face, “Tears a Go-Go.” Let’s take a pause and dip into the email folder. Here’s one from Mrs. (Grant Mitchum), from Swampscott, Massachusetts, she writes: “Dear Theme Time, I’m at the end of my rope, I don’t know what to do with my five year old. Every day when I’m trying to watch my programs he yells, and hollers, and tells us someone’s (up) to get him. I don’t know what I’m gonna do with the boy. Any suggestions?” Well, Mrs. (Grant Mitchum), I don’t know why so many people are writing me asking for advice about their kids, but I think I got something that can help ya. [unknown music in the background starts] I’m reminded of a story from Aesop about the shepherd boy who kept crying wolf when there was no wolf. Townspeople would rush in trying to protect their sheep, and they would see that there was no wolf at all. This amused the shepherd boy greatly, he did it many times, when a wolf finally did appear he hollered wolf and no one came to help. The herd was slaughtered, and the little boy was killed by the wolf. And the moral of that, story according to Aesop, is when liars tell the truth they are never believed. Go tell your five year old that story. [unknown music in the background ends] Now usually I don’t like to cry wolf, but wanna make an exception here, ‘cause our next song is co-written by Peter Wolf, this song was later cowered by Graham Parsons on his album “GP.”

[J. Geils Band – “Cry One More Time” starts playing]

Bob Dylan: But here’s the version by the guys who did it first – The J. Geils Band – “Cry One More Time.”

[The J. Geils Band – “Cry One More Time”]

Bob Dylan: That was The J. Geils Band, with Peter Wolf singing. Pete got his start as a disc jockey on WBCN in Boston on the Late Night Soul Show, playing all the platters that matter, from swing to sweet, bop to ballad, and blues to boogie. See Pete, I can do it too. (laughs) I love you, Pete! We talk about Roy Brown a lot, he wrote “Good Rocking Tonight,” and was one of the kings of feel-good jump-blues, but he had a sad side, too. Like this song, part of the great tradition of rhythm and blues songs where the singer breaks down in tears. Here’s Roy Brown, and he’s laughing but crying.

[Roy Brown – “Laughing But Crying”]

Bob Dylan: That was Roy Brown, he’s laughing but crying, and you can hardly tell the difference, but don’t worry too much about Roy, he’s no cry-baby, we’re gonna hear from him next week, on our “Laughter” show. If you like songs where the singer breaks out in tears, here’s a couple of my favorites: “Valerie” by Jackie and the Starlites, “Weeping and Crying” by Tommy Brown,
“No One to Love Me” by The Sha-Weez, and of course “The Bells” by Clyde McPhatter with Billy Ward and His Dominoes. You know what? I gotta play that one for you right now. Here’s Billy Ward and His Dominoes, featuring a tear-soaked performance by Clyde McPhatter, a song called “The Bells.”

[Billy Ward & His Dominoes – “The Bells”]

Bob Dylan: That was “The Bells,” Clyde McPhatter, along with Billy Ward and His Dominoes, get you a quota of tears, here on Theme Time Radio Hour.

[Billy Tipton – “Willow Weep for Me” starts]

Bob Dylan: In the background the familiar sounds of “Willow Weep for Me.” Perhaps you know this song, but you might not now the piano player. The Piano players’ name is Billy Tipton, and I don’t know whether to say “he” or “she.” When Billy died on January 21st 19 and 89, the director of the Ball & Dodd Funeral Home informed his stunned wife and children that the deceased musician had actually been a woman. Billy Tipton had successfully masqueraded as a man for more than 50 years. Billy was married five times, fooled five different women. There’s a book, called “Suits me” which goes into great detail about why he did it, and how he did it. Billy Tipton isn’t wide known, but he released two albums of jazz piano. Read about Billy Tipton, and be amazed.

[Billy Tipton – “Willow Weep for Me” ends]

[Alton Ellis and the Flames – “Cry Tough” starts playing]

Bob Dylan: (Going) down to Kingston, Jamaica now, 19 and 66, one of the big innovators of rocksteady. His first was “Dance Crasher.” But Alton Ellis had a bunch of other songs that topped at Jamaican charts. Here he is with His Flames, and a song called “Cry Though.”

[Alton Ellis and the Flames – “Cry Tough”]

Bob Dylan: How can man be tough, tougher than the world? For if he’s tough he’s against the world. That was “Cry Tough” by Alton Ellis and the Flames. In 2000 and 6 Alton was deservedly inducted into the International Reggae and World Music Hall of Fame. Congratulations to all concerned. “Laughter and tears are meant to turn the wheels of the same machinery of sensibility, one is wind-power, and the other – water-power,” Oliver Wendell Holmes.

[“The Player” (1992) excerpt:
“Then he finds that the husband is alive. That he faked his death. The D.A. Breaks into the prison, runs down death row... but he gets there too late. The gas pellets have been dropped. She's dead. I tell you, there's not a dry eye in the house.”]

Bob Dylan: Here she is, our heavenly singer with the voice like Gabriel’s Trumpet. Oh, if trumpet players could only play like she sings! Lula Reed, with the original version of the song Ray Charles had a big hit with, “Drown in My Own Tears.”

[Lula Reed – “Drown in My Own Tears”]

Bob Dylan: For crying out loud, that was Lula Reed, here on Theme Time Radio Hour, where the tear fest continues, and luckily poets have always used crying as an inspiration. Here’s an example, by Dylan Thomas:
“My tears are like the quiet drift
of petals from some magic rose;
and all my grief flows from the rift
of unremembered skies and snows.
I think that if I touched the earth,
it would crumble; it is so sad and beautiful,
so tremulously like a dream.”

Bob Dylan: Dylan Thomas, “Clown in the Moon.”

[Mose Allison – “I've Got a Right to Cry” starts]

Bob Dylan: We’re just about all cried out, and before we’d be to tearful farewell there’s one more man hear from. Here’s another kind of poetry, by Mose Allison. Mose from Tippo, Mississippi. While he was in his teens, he would sit in with the rhythm and blues bands on Beale Street. One of those bands was led by another teenage bluesman, the Beale Street Boy, now better known as B.B. King. It was the 40s in the deep South, and most people were not ready for races to mix, but Mose didn’t care, he said: “When it comes to music, I just follow my ears.” He followed them to New York where became a big light in the jazz scene. [Mose Allison – “I've Got a Right to Cry” ends] Here’s one of his greatest songs, it’s called “Everybody’s Crying Mercy When They Don’t Know the Meaning of the Word.” It’s a bad enough situation, and it’s sure enough getting worse.

[Mose Allison – “Everybody’s Crying Mercy”]

Bob Dylan: That was “Everybody’s Crying Mercy” by Mose Allison on out tear-soaked edition of Theme Time Radio Hour. Mose wrote a lot of songs with great song titles, some of the others are “Your Molecular Structure,” “Your Mind Is on Vacation and Your Mouth Is Working Overtime,” “Hello There, Universe,” “How Does It Feel to Be Good Looking,” “Ever Since the World Ended,” “Thank God for Self Love.” Check out Mose when he comes to your town.

[unknown song in the background]

Bob Dylan: Well, the old clock on the wall says it’s time to go, and it’s a good thing, ‘cause I’m out of Kleenex anyway. So I’m gonna hop in my car, and get down the Robinson freeway, and get myself a beer I can cry into. In the meantime, remember the words of our former president Woodrow Wilson: “There is little for the great part of the history, except the bitter tears of pity and the hot tears of wrath.” See ya next week, on Theme Time Radio Hour. There ain’t a dry eye in the house.

[“Top Cat (underscore)”]

“Pierre Mancini”: You’ve been listening to Theme Time Radio Hour, with your host, Bob Dylan. Produced by Eddie Gorodetsky. Associate producer, Sonny Webster. Continuity by “Eeps” Martin. Edited by Damian Rodriguez. Supervising editor, Rob Macomber. The Theme Time research team: Diane Lapson and Bernie Bernstein, with additional research by Lynne Sheridan, Kimberly Williams, and Robert Bower. Production assistance by Jim McBean. Special thanks to Randy Ezratty, Debbie Sweeney, Coco Shinomiya, and Samson's Diner. For XM Radio, Lee Abrams. Recorded in Studio B, The Abernathy Building. Studio engineer: Tex Carbone. This has been a Grey Water Park Production in Association with Big Red Tree.

“Pierre Mancini”: This is your announcer, Pierre Mancini, speaking.

“Pierre Mancini”: Join us again next week for Theme Time Radio Hour, when the subject is, “Laughter.”

PostPosted: Sun February 5th, 2012, 20:15 GMT 

I should say thank you .
I'm from Greece and i just started listening to TTRH ... and loving every second . Your thread is just what i needed !
Thank you and all the other contributors .

:)

PostPosted: Tue February 7th, 2012, 16:31 GMT 

You're welcome, Tragos114. This was one of my goals - make it easier to enjoy TTRH for people whose native language isn't English...

As for my Lord Buckley - "The Train" request - the help is still needed. Here is that "song": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3vbxeBvaU0 starting from 1:50.

PostPosted: Sun February 12th, 2012, 16:14 GMT 

I'll try anyway to add the newly found tracks as I see them here to the TTRH Spotify playlist (at http://open.spotify.com/user/1113320603 ... IDIkalRfpb).

Shazam or similar apps are by the way amazing identifying music, even with all kind of noise in the background.

Kodok.

PostPosted: Thu June 7th, 2012, 19:45 GMT 

Great Job! I am so glad to see this project being tackled. And I am amazed at how well you do it considering English is not your native language. I will try to find time to help out in the future. Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri June 8th, 2012, 00:42 GMT 

Thanks for the kind words! Hoping to resume the work as soon as possible. Have to be in a month or so...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6